Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Little clip i got from my brother. 11am blizzard like conditions at home yesterday when the snow started to settle. Down 50m and no snow for a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

nagdefy wrote: »
    Little clip i got from my brother. 11am blizzard like conditions at home yesterday when the snow started to settle. Down 50m and no snow for a few hours later.

I am getting an error trying to view the video.

I am getting an error trying to view the video.

Should go now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

m17 wrote: »
    Milford Co armagh 16/01/18IMAG10260_zpsrjp1aebh.jpg

the poor thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

bur wrote: »
    the poor thing. :(

Unclipped horses can do quite well in snowy conditions as long as they have adequate access to food and water. I have seen snow lie on a horses back due to the excellent insulation provided by a horses long winter coat ie the body heat is kept close to the skin.

Horses in use and clipped out are obviously a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The word blizzard gets abused a lot these days.

Villain wrote: »
    The word blizzard gets abused a lot these days.

That piqued my interest so I looked it up - according to at least one official definition ... (and not being overtly pedantic about it)
    What is a blizzard?

.... a storm which contains large amounts of snow OR blowing snow, with winds in excess of 35 mph and visibilities of less than 1/4 mile for an extended period of time (at least 3 hours)

So at least nominally some of the video footage posted might qualify although we don't know the duration of the events posted?

See:
    https://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/what-is-a-blizzard/5674708

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

gozunda wrote: »
    That piqued my interest so I looked it up - according to at least one official definition ... (and not being overtly pedantic about it)

So at least nominally some of the video footage posted might qualify although we don't know the duration of the events posted?

See:

I've been in Canada and USA during blizzards, frightening events if you're travelling, very dangerous.
    I've never seen an actual real blizzard event here that I can remember, but some of the weather the past few days, particularly Tuesday, were blizzard like, but I felt no danger as they were only passing showers, the met.ie radar is a great reassurer as to how quickly these showers were passing.

See:
    Yep the length is the main difference to what people report, most of the stuff here in recent times has been short lived.

Edward M wrote: »
    I've been in Canada and USA during blizzards, frightening events if you're travelling, very dangerous.
    I've never seen an actual real blizzard event here that I can remember, but some of the weather the past few days, particularly Tuesday, were blizzard like, but I felt no danger as they were only passing showers, the met.ie radar is a great reassurer as to how quickly these showers were passing.

I got caught in a proper one when I was a kid in the 80's, couldn't find our way out field, uncle had to use search light to find us, was both scary and amazing. I blame that event for my love of snow :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

For Dublin, 1982 was probably the last (true) blizzard.

Yep the length is the main difference to what people report, most of the stuff here in recent times has been short lived.

To be fair at least a few posters used the phrase "blizzard like" but as to duration - Perhaps some of the posters posting footage etc could also give details of the duration of the snow events. Personally I have been in North Antrim in similar conditions to that shown above that lasted more than 3 hours ...

To be fair at least a few posters used the phrase "blizzard like" but as to duration - Perhaps some of the posters posting footage etc could also give details of the duration of the snow events. Personally I have been in North Antrim in similar conditions to that shown above that lasted more than 3 hours ...

Oh ya, not having a go at people saying Blizzard like when visibility is proper reduced in showers just giving an opinion in general that I think the term is a little over used here.

I've seen the affects of blowing snow in New Hampshire in recent years when powdery snow blows off lakes, scary stuff, like bad fog.

Oh ya, not having a go at people saying Blizzard like when visibility is proper reduced in showers just giving an opinion in general that I think the term is a little over used here.

I've seen the affects of blowing snow in New Hampshire in recent years when powdery snow blows off lakes, scary stuff, like bad fog.

"Oh ya"? Nope dont think it had been "overused" here - the few posters appear to have used the phrase 'blizzard like' in context. I doubt if any have meant the term to be taken literally ...

Tbh stating overuse is overtly pedantic imo and yes to answer the above and as stated I've experienced a blizzard by definition previously and yes not something I would like to have to experience on a regular basis.

"Oh ya"? Nope dont think it had been "overused" here - the few posters appear to have used the phrase 'blizzard like' in context. I doubt if any have meant the term to be taken literally ...

Tbh stating overuse is overtly pedantic imo and yes to answer the above and as stated I've experienced a blizzard by definition previously and yes not something I would like to have to experience on a regular basis.

I think you will find more than a few, but anyway you seem to want to have a serious debate, I was just giving a passing opinion :D

I think you will find more than a few, but anyway you seem to want to have a serious debate, I was just giving a passing opinion :D

is that an Irish "few"? ;)

Granted point made. But no debate obviously - adopting pedantics - nearly half of the posts referring to the 'blizzard' used the term 'blizzard like' (and yes I just checked :D) probably easier than saying "windy conditions with blowing snow" plus a large number of the remainder were referring to historical or other events. MT himself used the term once in relation to the potential forecast :eek:

With regards to what i've posted, walk in that with a sack of hay over your shoulder or carrying a few buckets of meal and maybe a hill against you and it's suffocating. Happens many times where i and others live. It's blizzard like and on occasion an actual blizzard with wind speed etc. March 31st 2010 would be another event, 12 hours of those conditions.

So less of the not so subtle put downs about some of our posts with comparisons to Canada and the USA, Great Lakes etc.

With regards to what i've posted, walk in that with a sack of hay over your shoulder or carrying a few buckets of meal and maybe a hill against you and it's suffocating. Happens many times where i and others live. It's blizzard like and on occasion an actual blizzard with wind speed etc. March 31st 2010 would be another event, 12 hours of those conditions.

So less of the not so subtle put downs about some of our posts with comparisons to Canada and the USA, Great Lakes etc.

Relax, my post was not specific to this thread it was a genera comment and not aimed at anyone in particular.

My station recorded -17.7c in 2010 with 16 inches of snow so I don’t have to head west to know what a blizzard is. My comment on New Hampshire was that you can see blizzard like conditions with no snow falling.

I’d forgotten how sensitive the weather forum can be to “opinions” :p

Relax, my post was not specific to this thread it was a genera comment and not aimed at anyone in particular.

My station recorded -17.7c in 2010 with 16 inches of snow so I don’t have to head west to know what a blizzard is. My comment on New Hampshire was that you can see blizzard like conditions with no snow falling.

Relax yourself:D I think you have a bit of snow envy regardless of what your station measured in 2010:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭De Bild

I am from Germany and have seen blizzards there. I have lived in Ireland for over 20 year in Tipperary mountainy area and i have seen Blizzards there. A lot of folk on low ground do not understand microclimate of mountain in Ireland.

Your 'people don't know what a blizzard is' comment was so condescending. Yes all the people who live on flatland speak about 2010. But folk on high ground have seen a lot more wintry weather since and don't have to mention their once in a lifetime 1982 or 2010.

• Advertisement

De Bild wrote: »
    I am from Germany and have seen blizzards there. I have lived in Ireland for over 20 year in Tipperary mountainy area and i have seen Blizzards there. A lot of folk on low ground do not understand microclimate of mountain in Ireland.

Your 'people don't know what a blizzard is' comment was so condescending. Yes all the people who live on flatland speak about 2010. But folk on high ground have seen a lot more wintry weather since and don't have to mention their once in a lifetime 1982 or 2010.

This ^^^ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

So the UK Met Office seem to be showing a lot snow showers in nearly all parts of the country and into tomorrow morning, with many getting all the way to the east.

What are people's opinions on this as if I were to go by the UK Met Office/BBC forecast, then I would expect to see snow on the ground first thing tomorrow morning in my home location on the Kildare/Meath border.

Netweather radar currently shows a lot of snow showers in Ulster with some pretty heavy and prolonged snow in Monaghan and Cavan, moving SE towards Louth.

Anyone in the north midlands able to confirm if it is indeed snowing there and if it is, is it sticking? Snow at this time of the day may bode very well for chances in other areas later tonight, assuming that the precipitation gets across the country pretty much unscathed, similar to the other night.

lol 'people don't know what a blizzard is', show me where I said that?

Also this folk climbs Lugnaquilla in snow, like I did in the past few weeks, so I'll see your high ground and raise you to Lug :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've been in comelette white out, knock you over kind of Blizzards in the wicklow mountains, one day me and my ground had no choice but to find shelter and sit it out.

Also this folk climbs Lugnaquilla in snow, like I did in the past few weeks, so I'll see your high ground and raise you to Lug :p

You don't live and work on Lug so there's a big difference.

You don't live and work on Lug so there's a big difference.

Seriously relax, my comment was a general one not against you so don't take it to heart :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭De Bild

'The word blizzard gets abused a lot these days'

Posted under video clip of a person from Laois nagefy. And it was howling, snowy.

'The word blizzard gets abused a lot these days'

Posted under video clip of a person from Laois nagefy. And it was howling, snowy.

Right, so I didn't say "'people don't know what a blizzard is" :p

Seriously relax, my comment was a general one not against you so don't take it to heart :)

Ah no not directed at me at all, just stuck under my video!

'This man climbs Lug in snow'. Jesus man get over yourself:D There are a lot of fit men out there, and ladies :P

I'm not going to go through a cv of my physical achievements:D

• Advertisement

Ah no not directed at me at all, just stuck under my video!

'This man climbs Lug in snow'. Jesus man get over yourself:D There are a lot of fit men out there, and ladies :P

I'm not going to go through a cv of my physical achievements:D

Yes and your video reminded me of the fact that a lot of people were using the word Blizzard in recent days. If it was meant as reply to you I would have quoted your post, as well as climbing lug I have the ability to use boards correctly ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement