Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I will respectfully have to disagree. Sub 528 thickness in past north westerly and northerly airflows has delivered snow for my area. I often recall having snow with 525- 520 dam thickness. I am not expecting powdery snow anyway. Wet snow will do fine. Given the dew points it should start accumulating monday night- the caveat being provided charts are not downgraded.

If wet snow in the fires of hell does it for you then fair play. ;) I'm not interested in that rain-turning to sleet-to wet snow-back to rain-can't make up my mind- muck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm afraid Kermits I don't agree with Kermits interpretation of the charts .

MOD Changed the wording of your post

In his selective chart posting, he omitted the upper level temp charts for any of the period under discussion, they never exceed -6C at 850, which would be marginal enough in an E/NE'ly situation, but in an atlantic system with a long fetch - albeit polar maritime - they are basically curtains for snow on all but high ground in the north west and north.

A couple of comments:
    1) Snow can fall from zero uppers in an Easterly.
    2) I'm old enough to remember snow falling from a Southwesterly here in Cork. Yes a southwesterly and snow falling on the south coast. 1984 I think it was.

In general I think Kermits thread is warranted and probably needs to go amber quite soon.

As always time will tell and humble pie will get swallowed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BRAEU_96.gif

Trough lines will offer some enhancement to the shower activity from Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Sitting on the south coast and every single chart says rain for us. :-( loving the discussion and the passion on the threads lately. Says a lot about how interested people are in the weather! Thank you to all who post charts and discuss its all education to me. Appreciate ye taking the time to post. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I recall that this particular set up in Feb 2014 brought a day of heavy snow showers here, which did settle leading to a good few cms of relatively 'dry' snow for a time.

NOAA_1_2014021112_2.png

Though keeping in mind that this was in Feb, when sea temps and Td's in general tend to be lower than at this point of January. We are never going to get epic amounts of snow from a cold westerly (though Jan '84 would be an exception) but snow can happen under such a set up, though whether it will this time around remains to be seen.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Right now the interesting feature to watch is a wave of low pressure that the GFS has featured at 12z and 18z moving through the southwest, with implied rain-snow boundary somewhere like Clare to Waterford, and potential for significant accumulations north of that. It may be one of those GFS figments or it may turn out to be a solution that other models will catch onto later (00z runs perhaps?).

For now it's not well enough supported to give it more than a one in four chance, but it would be more than just elevation based snowfalls in passing showers. If it comes about. The model uncertainty is related to a difficult system over eastern U.S. today, that was very poorly forecast by all models as recently as 48-72 hours ago. Getting better resolution on it now, GFS seems to develop this Wednesday feature out of the wave currently moving northeast through West Virginia, or possibly a trailing wave on its cold front. Could all be gone by tomorrow though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Right now the interesting feature to watch is a wave of low pressure that the GFS has featured at 12z and 18z moving through the southwest, with implied rain-snow boundary somewhere like Clare to Waterford, and potential for significant accumulations north of that. It may be one of those GFS figments or it may turn out to be a solution that other models will catch onto later (00z runs perhaps?).

For now it's not well enough supported to give it more than a one in four chance, but it would be more than just elevation based snowfalls in passing showers. If it comes about. The model uncertainty is related to a difficult system over eastern U.S. today, that was very poorly forecast by all models as recently as 48-72 hours ago. Getting better resolution on it now, GFS seems to develop this Wednesday feature out of the wave currently moving northeast through West Virginia, or possibly a trailing wave on its cold front. Could all be gone by tomorrow though ...

The shortwave GFS progs for Wednesday night? ECM and UKMO have it but the timing is inconsistent - There is a 12 - 18 hr difference.

I reckon it could be something, we don't want it deepening too much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

A couple of comments:
    1) Snow can fall from zero uppers in an Easterly.
    Only if the air from cloud base to ground is not above zero which won’t be the case next week or any week coming in off the Atlantic
    Hence the concerns that GL quite rightly pointed out

Now it will be as interesting as ever to see what trumps what in the journey from Baffin to Ireland but I think coastal western areas wil be mostly out of luck on this one
    A direct shot down the eastern Atlantic from the pole closer to Ireland and then returning in on a South westerly would actually be better
    But well inland and certainly high ground it’s a yes

Not sure what’s going to happen in Cork but I’d expect some snow there at times as the northwesterly has enough land track en route to drop the rh and dew point

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If wet snow in the fires of hell does it for you then fair play. ;) I'm not interested in that rain-turning to sleet-to wet snow-back to rain-can't make up my mind- muck :rolleyes:

Wet snow will do me fine here Gaoth Laidir:pac:
    It will be mostly sleet and snow showers for the first couple of days with modest accumulations. Wednesday is when there may well be a mix of rain, sleet, and wet snow across parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Only if the air from cloud base to ground is not above zero which won’t be the case next week or any week coming in off the Atlantic
    Hence the concerns that GL quite rightly pointed out

Now it will be as interesting as ever to see what trumps what in the journey from Baffin to Ireland but I think coastal western areas wil be mostly out of luck on this one
    A direct shot down the eastern Atlantic from the pole closer to Ireland and then returning in on a South westerly would actually be better
    But well inland and certainly high ground it’s a yes

Not sure what’s going to happen in Cork but I’d expect some snow there at times as the northwesterly has enough land track en route to drop the rh and dew point

And tipperary?

• Advertisement

Chart from mid-January 1984:

NOAA_1_1984011412_2.png

Notice how far east the -10c isotherm was over the north Atlantic. Something that would be inconceivable in today's climate.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Prove it. You have turned your back on snow so many times here, i don't blame snow if it now turns its back on you:( :o

...but seriously you should see a bit of snow this week. I will hopefully be looking on enviously at the snow pictures on here next week.

I don’t have the optimism that you guys have. I get disappointed and admittedly a tad narky when things go belly up! But I’m quietly hopeful next week will deliver. In fact I’m supposed to go to visit my son and family in Dublin on Monday but might leave it until next weekend as I don’t want to miss Donegal getting decent snowfall.

And tipperary?

It’s a big county!
    Roscrea is further north than some of Wicklow!
    Lots of precip is key
    From an imby perspective in Wicklow,I’m interested in the shortwave but ONLY if the wind is northwesterly

It’s a big county!
    Roscrea is further north than some of Wicklow!
    Lots of precip is key
    From an imby perspective in Wicklow,I’m interested in the shortwave but ONLY if the wind is northwesterly

so now you want a northwesterly wind:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I recall that this particular set up in Feb 2014 brought a day of heavy snow showers here, which did settle leading to a good few cms of relatively 'dry' snow for a time.

NOAA_1_2014021112_2.png

Though keeping in mind that this was in Feb, when sea temps and Td's in general tend to be lower than at this point of January. We are never going to get epic amounts of snow from a cold westerly (though Jan '84 would be an exception) but snow can happen under such a set up, though whether it will this time around remains to be seen.

Correct it did, that was the only day of 2014 I received any snow. I remember the day well as I was doing PE in school then it started to snow which cancelled it. Here's a picture of Dublin on that day:

d7kyf4m.jpg

If I get to see some lightning during this spell, then that'll be enough for me. Nothing like a cold and airy starry night seeing big blue flashes lighting up the sky from big showers on the west coast.

New Moon

so now you want a northwesterly wind:p

Absolutely if there’s precip from a shortwave coming up from the south and cold air in place!
    Lovely icy dew points coming down off lugnaquilla ,snowmageddon yum yum :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Possibly but personally watching approaching Cumulonimbus clouds rising up high into the deep blue skies is fascinating, that's not what I would call muck, latest GFS is a slight upgrade so rain will be in the minority for most places it will be hail\sleet and snow. throw in a bit of thunder for good measure and you have an interesting weather week ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

8'' snow from this set up 3 years ago.

Much similer chart has we have seen today for early next week.

AVN_1_2015012900_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Longing wrote: »
    8'' snow from this set up 3 years ago.

Much similer chart has we have seen today for early next week.

AVN_1_2015012900_1.png

Where are you located? 8" seems a lot for everywhere except maybe high ground in the north or north west

• Advertisement

Sorry! N Cavan - S Monaghan

Monthly mean of 850 temps and anomaly for Jan '84.

era-20c_nat_msl-mm_t850-mm_anom_198401.png

Serious period in weather history.

New Moon

Sorry! N Cavan - S Monaghan

How high above sea level are you?

Absolutely if there’s precip from a shortwave coming up from the south and cold air in place!
    Lovely icy dew points coming down off lugnaquilla ,snowmageddon yum yum :p:p

Think I might spend my old age (if I make it that far) living in Wicklow. Miles of beach to my front, mountains at my back. Not sure about the people, but sure I'd have to put with them. :P

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If I get to see some lightning during this spell, then that'll be enough for me. Nothing like a cold and airy starry night seeing big blue flashes lighting up the sky from big showers on the west coast.

I must say i miss those winter nights too, the flash lightning way off in distance after a hefty shower. Winter 2009 was a stand out year too, as i saw thunder snow and lighting for the first time. It was an incredible sight.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Correct it did, that was the only day of 2014 I received any snow. I remember the day well as I was doing PE in school then it started to snow which cancelled it. Here's a picture of Dublin on that day:

d7kyf4m.jpg

Nice accumulations in that photo :p

Looking at hourly reports for that day, Dublin Airport reported rain, sleet and hail, with two light snow showers that night, while Casement reported rain, with two reports of snow in the late afternoon. No accumulations at either station.

To me, that is not what I would call a snow event. Rain and sleet turning to brief wet snow that doesn't accumulate is more a nuisance than something to look forward to. That's not what I'm talking about when I say 516 dam, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interested in how the sea ice flow limit is brought so far out of the Labrador Sea and off Greenland by the very strong winds forecast to whip down from there from around Sunday. Wondering if this could help to keep air temps down a fraction more or perhaps it would be considered negligible. The sea state created by the winds would probably cancel out any extra cooling from any ice brought offshore in the sea and probably too short a time span also?

850 hPa wind

tempresult_thr4.gif

NOwXG79.png

AaEZ0iF.png

Huge seas developing next week also.

tempresult_gas7.gif

Not sure. Was looking for survey map online to see heights. But cannot find one.

Not sure. Was looking for survey map online to see heights. But cannot find one.

www.gridreference.ie

• Advertisement

169m - 555ft

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement