Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declare your intentions

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    5,000km and race the club leagues.

Signed up for SRAC, and there's a few more sportives I've my eye on (Blackstairs, Orwell and the Wolftrap), but not ready to commit yet!

Didn't do SRAC or Blackstairs. I did do the Orwell, and made my audax debut with the Mick Bryne and (properly) The Dying Cow. 

Weather conditions for SRAC were pretty good this year (maybe a bit windy now and again, but dry), although for those of us doing the second loop of the route, the food/water stop had packed up for the day - even just a basic water stop for the second loop would have been welcome.

Weather conditions for the Blackstairs Challenge were tough - windy and/or wet for significant portions of it - but amazingly still a great turnout for the event - overall organisation was very good, plenty of marshalls, and a very welcome plate of grub at the end. Despite the weather and the two tough climbs (for me anyway) up Mount Leinster, I think theres every chance I'll be back for another crack at it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ah yeah, it was circumstances that forced the missing of both of them - I did the Blackstairs last year. I thought it was going to be the last SRAC, but there's been a few facebook posts....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

colm18 wrote: »
    Not sure of other goals yet but I want to get below 11 minutes on Kilmashogue...11:11 is my current PR set nearly 5 years ago now :eek:

Well, so far I've failed at this goal though I've only given it one proper go this year, still 30 seconds off...I'll give it another lash in the next few weeks.

Finally finished the Evil after years of talking about it.. also finished the off-road version so happy with those two

Also joined a club, Tiernans, again after years of talking about it...

Just over 5000km for the year so far with 63,000 metres climbing- both up on previous years.

All in all, pretty happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've had a terrible year - only 500km or so on Strava and probably another 250 that I didn't record riding around town. Mix of too many work trips meaning I didn't get out a single evening over the summer and busy weekends.

Aim for rest of the year is 10 decent weekend rides (and 2 more Zwift sessions per week (-realistically I won't get out during the week until April).

Considering moving house and one of the ideas I like about it is going from a 3/4k each way commute to 10/12k. I wear a suit to work so not ideal even for 3k but have much easier options.

Might for for Rapha festive 500 on Strava if they do it again too.

Getting over 100k is main goal - any higher depends on how much it rains over Christmas tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Got back on bike mid Feb and left the target at 6,000 km. As of yesterday I'm currently just over 5,550 , well on target, hopefully will hit 7,000 km.

Currently just over 6,350 km, target reached :), should hit 7,000 + km, no commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Looks like I've hit all the targets I'm going to hit for this year, so I'm calling it....
    Takca wrote: »
    For 2018 I'm setting a overall distance goal of 5,000km. Which I should be able to hit if I keep motivated but I doubt I go much over.

I hit 5,000km on Tuesday night, and should get another few 100 in before the end of the year

Also there are 5 events I'm aiming to do
    1. 21km charity TT (mainly as I punctured in it last year so its unfinished buisness) http://carabundoranrun.com/
    Done, averaged nearly 32km/h which was about what I was hoping for at the time, so pretty happy with that

2. Tour de Connemara 140km http://tourdeconamara.ie
    Really enjoyed this one, would defo do it again

3. Yeats tour of Sligo 160km, assuming its on this year, I don't see it in any calendars http://www.tourofsligo.ie/
    Yeats tour of Sligo was canceled ;-( , a local club put on a spotive in its place so did this instead, another great day out.

4. The Leitrim Glens 200km, this is my main goal, I did the 100km route last year
    which was a great day out but the 200km looks like a bitch with loads of climbing (https://www.facebook.com/leitrimglenssportive/)
    I doubt I'll finish it quickly as I don't climb fast but I'll be disappointed if I don't do it
    F**K this was hard, 2nd last hill nearly killed me but will be back next year, hopfully it will kill me a little less...

5. Tour de Achill 100km - probably the cycle I found hardest last year, I need to go back and see how I feel about it this year https://www.facebook.com/events/411563032552405/
    Didn't make this, to many other commitments in september ;-(
    I've never really set a weight target last year but this year I'm aiming to drop about 12kg and get below 80kg
    Only got about half way to this target and with christmas coming its looking unlikely, I'll have to carry it over to next year
    I've also set a bunch of smaller goals for myself(mainly to hit certain times on specific routes) but I won't bore ye with the details.

lets see how I get on with that lot

Overall pretty happy with progress this year, gotta start thinking about 2019 now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Should be just 200km short of my 5000km target by beer o'clock this evening. I have been commuting, as it's whats working for family life (and personal head space), but the commuting is replacing turbo km's which apparently don't count anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am about 60km short of my 5k target at the moment. not been out since sunday due to a head cold. hope to reach the target by sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Get back on the bike...

1. Over 5,000km for the year, 6,000+ would be nice
    2. Over 50,000m climbing edit: 75,000m, 50k m is actually going to be easy to achieve
    3. Sign up for multiple events (already done 1 with 5 more upcoming)
    4. Lose 8.5kg to get to 75kg, already down 3.5kg in Jan :)
    5. Do a couple of half marathons at some point
    6. Buy a elec shifting, disc braking Canyon as a present to myself
    7. Break at least half a dozen of my 2013 Strava PBs to prove I'm back to where I was back then
    8. Try and get to 80km Eddington

With a month to go it's looking pretty good:

1. 5805km as of yesterday. Should clock another 750 or so in Dec
    2. 84,000m. I think 100,000 might be out of reach though
    3. Lots done
    4. in the 70s... average
    5. Done 1, but have completely smashed my 5km PBs recently as focused on shoerter runs so still counts as a win for me
    6. Bought but no delivery until Feb :(
    7. 50+ done
    8. 2 more 80km rides to do, easily sorted with Festive 500

Advertisement