Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glanmire turning into Scumbag Central

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

It was scumbag central when I grew up and that was 10-15 years ago, there was even a Prime Time special which included Glanmire as one of the most dangerous spots in the country. It seemed to calm down a bit as fellas grew up or went to prison but its getting very bad now again. Theres a great community drive in Glanmire but its being ruined by these fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It's bordering "Norrie Land", what do you expect.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Always been a bit of a scumbag element there. Mindless morons setting fire to bins and attacking emergency services. They know full well there'll be little or no repercussions for their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I know someone from Glanmire. How am I only hearing about this now? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Over thirty years here in glanmire, never knew about that carry on up there, 200 of them.
    Why don't they ask these people's parents to pay for the damage, wouldn't be long stopping then.
    I had issues with a group of about eight to ten of them, it ended with me giving the biggest one a slap, they were absolutely horrified, never had an issue since.
    I think they're more spoiled brats that need a bit of proper parenting.
    When the Guards were able to throw a few digs in to you this wasn't an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

11214 wrote: »
    Why don't they ask these people's parents to pay for the damage, wouldn't be long stopping then.

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

In the article it says children were hurt while playing there. If this carry on is happening with needles being left behind - who in their right mind would let their small kids play there?

I've never had any issues passing through Lower Glanmire, there is a lot of decent people living there. Unfortunately it gets a name because of these morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It seems like teens from all over are travelling there as its recognised as a soft target now, nobody bothering them or challenging them. The Gardai resources at the moment are shocking, the only way they will sort this issue is by tackling them every night, confiscating drinks, picking up them holding them in the station, making mammy and daddy get out of their PJs to pick up their precious offspring in the station and make them liaise with the community gardai.

Would be great to sentence them to cleanup duty, but we as a society are too soft for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Living in Glanmire for over 15 years without a bit of trouble. The park was always used by teenagers of the area for hanging around and drinking at the weekends. But there was never really much trouble.
    In the last 12 months however, the numbers of teens hanging around there doubled and in recent months trebled or more. The majority are now coming for outside Glanmire. You can see them getting off the bus with rucksack of cans once it gets dark. They also make their way down from the Mayfield direction. Anti social behaviour and big groups of drunk teens will inevitably go hand in hand unfortunately, as one Muppet will try and outdo another Muppet.
    The park itself is wide open, with numerous ways to enter and leave and also to hide!

Officially closing the park at 9pm and having the Guards there kicking out the teens as they come in is one way that might work. It wouldn't be wasting the Guards time either as they are inundated with complaints every weekend. Do that over the weekend for a few weekends and there would be an improvement.
    Lighting up the park and the installation of cctv should have been done 6 to 8 months ago when it started to get popular.

If all else fails, ...a few daddies.....a few hoodies.....a few hurleys ......:pac:

Advertisement