Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this wired wrong

Options
  • 11-01-2018 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,
    Not a spark but is this wired wrong? check video 50sec in where he shows switch wiring, maybe I'm missing something as it seems to work OK on the video.Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

pipsdad wrote: »
    Hi,
    Not a spark but is this wired wrong? check video 50sec in where he shows switch wiring, maybe I'm missing something as it seems to work OK on the video.Thanks..

What do you think is wrong with it and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pipsdad

I thought C was common live in and L1 was switched live, it seems to be wrong way round in this vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I thought C was common live in and L1 was switched live, it seems to be wrong way round in this vid.

It is, but it looks as if that dimmer can be wired backwards it seems. Some dimmers can, some can't. For peace of mind and to make it easier in the future to know which is the perm live, best put it into C and the wire going to led transformer into L1.

thanks, I think it would be problematic if it was 2 way switched though, I just think they are giving dubious advice imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

thanks, I think it would be problematic if it was 2 way switched though, I just think they are giving dubious advice imho

The live wire is often connected to either L1 or L2 on a two way switch. It doesn't make any difference.

2-way-switching-2-wire-control-schematic-diagram.jpg

In the pic you will observe the L2 of the right switch has the live wire, if you switch the left switch then L1 would be connected to the live wire

But if you had a powered switch which had a neural connection then it probably would cause an issue.

• Advertisement

The live wire is often connected to either L1 or L2 on a two way switch. It doesn't make any difference.

I'm still of the opinion, but I bow to professionals knowledge, they are confusing the job by using the common live input terminal as the switched live output to the load and thats where I have an issue/confusion :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I'm still of the opinion, but I bow to professionals knowledge, they are confusing the job by using the common live input terminal as the switched live output to the load and thats where I have an issue/confusion :confused:

I'll agree it could cause confusion, and good practice would be to connect the live to the common. However that doesn't take from the fact that it will work the other way round (don't forget the current is constantly changing direction)

There is also a seldom used "master on" technique where you have to bring the live to L1 and the switch wire to the common, and then bring another wire switched through a "master on" switch to L2 to a few different switches so that if the relevant light switch is on the light stays on, and if it was in the off position then the power to L2 turns on the light when another switch is turned on. (useful for example if you have a few lights individually controlled but want them all to turn on in response to a sensor)

main-qimg-18d84dc9ee95446236f3ed0123088913

My point is you should never assume the Common is the live wire.

Advertisement