Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale agreed, loan offered less.

Options
  • 11-01-2018 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

All,

I've sale agreed for a home, however my mortgage got expired and re-applied again few weeks back. This time my mortgage has been offered 30k less and I cannot raise the difference amount to go ahead with the sale. I am thinking to pull out of the sale agreement.

Sale agreement says in the event of purchaser not able to procure mortgage, agreement can be cancelled and deposit will be refunded.

I presume I'll get my deposit back? And will there be any other legal consequences?

Has anyone gone through similar situation or have any knowledge around this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Went through this exactly. Had to pull out of the purchase, got the deposit back, but apart from the regret and the waste of time there were no other consequences. Just had to get searching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, if you haven't signed contracts yet (and your solicitor shouldn't let you sign without a loan agreement in place), then you can withdraw from the sale and have your deposit refunded.

Go back to the vendor first and explain what happened though. No harm in seeing if they'll go ahead @ 30k less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sunnystar25

Thanks, Seamus.

I've signed the contracts, and agreement says in the event of purchaser not able to procure mortgage, agreement can be cancelled and deposit will be refunded.

Its a new home and vendor will not go 30K less for sure.

Thanks, Cakes and ale, thats good to know and a relief 'sigh'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Keep that solicitor, not everyone can get a loan clause into contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭westsider

Thanks, Seamus.

I've signed the contracts, and agreement says in the event of purchaser not able to procure mortgage, agreement can be cancelled and deposit will be refunded.

Its a new home and vendor will not go 30K less for sure.
    Is there any particular reason why bank have reduced loan amount by 30K? Would it be worth going to another bank/ broker etc.. if you pull out now are you able to get another house within your price range with rising house prices etc?

westsider wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason why bank have reduced loan amount by 30K? Would it be worth going to another bank/ broker etc.. if you pull out now are you able to get another house within your price range with rising house prices etc?

My partner's job contract shows fixed term for an year when I re-applied and employer did not issue a letter stating it would be extended, so considering that bank has reduced 30k less this time and other banks refused at the application level itself as my partner is on contract for less than 2 years and most bank would need 3 years of continuos employment as a contractor.

I am thinking to go for a home that fits my budget now based on the loan approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Most definitely go to a broker. They will have a better chance of securing the loan considering your partner's current circumstances. Some brokers charge but ours doesn't. Pm me for his details, I would highly recommend him. He can tell you within a couple of days where you stand. Rather that than pulling out and trying to find another house you like and be lucky enough not to be outbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

To be fair most developers won't allow it these days, it's a sellers market...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

+1
    Most sellers/developers- will remove you from contention in a purchase- if you insist on a clause such as that- your solicitor has just saved you the price of the deposit- it would normally be forfeit as you have signed contracts...........
    I'd be buying the solicitor a nice bottle of whiskey as a thankyou.

• Advertisement

Luckily, developer agreed to transfer the sale contract to a different home which is little less in the price.

We are good and signing the contract for a new home :)

Thanks all for your time and responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Luckily, developer agreed to transfer the sale contract to a different home which is little less in the price.

We are good and signing the contract for a new home :)

Thanks all for your time and responses.

Great news!! Good luck with the new place :)

Advertisement