Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences in NCB scale recognition

Options
  • 11-01-2018 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Well you learn something new it seems every day! Just on the quest for car insurance and discovered this little nugget of info which was news to me....

Different insurers have different NCB scales so some will go for 5 years, some will go for 7 years and some go up to 9 years etc (I knew this much :-) )

However let’s assume you have 20 years no claims over multiple insurers, you are now with company A who has a 5 Year scale and decide to move to Company B who uses a 9 Year scale .... your NCB from A will only say 5 years and company B will only ‘reward’ you with 5 years on their scale unless you go back to previous insurers over the past 9 years (or more) and prove that you actually qualify for their full 9 year NCB discount !!!

In my case this is a difference of €120 per year.

Seems very unfair that the consumer has to chase this and what should happen is each NCB cert should clearly state the FULL history of the driver eg has earned X years NCB with us and came with a history of Y years claim free so has a certified claim free of X+Y years in total.

The search continues.....

Advertisement