Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Interns

Options
  • 11-01-2018 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi I was at a meeting the other day and somebody mentioned that you can take Interns on in your business form around Europe and their home country or the EU pays part of their salary. I wasn't really listening but after I thought it could be a good way to get experienced employees at a more competitive rate. Does anyone know where I can find out any further information on this?

I am honestly a nice employer not trying to take advantage of anyone I had someone on jobsbridge before who got a full time position with me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

whitesheep wrote: »
    ....... I thought it could be a good way to get experienced employees at a more competitive rate......

Frankly, that is not the purpose of interns. You will not get experienced foreign interns IMO, or even Irish ones. Most are trainees, students, usually undergrads and others doing a post grad ‘stint’ as part of a Masters. They want the experience to learn, to improve their English and to bolster their CVs. So unless you have a decent business operation you have no hope.

My experience of interns has only been those of the French variety under the earlier VSNE and later the CSNE schemes. (Not sure it the latter still exists.) Frequently it is best to give the intern a specific project with stated objectives (e.g. website design / translation, or market research in their home country for your product- it depends on their qualifications and your needs. They require heavy hand-holding/mentoring. I’ve had some excellent ones and some spoiled brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

whitesheep wrote: »
    Hi I was at a meeting the other day and somebody mentioned that you can take Interns on in your business form around Europe and their home country or the EU pays part of their salary. I wasn't really listening but after I thought it could be a good way to get experienced employees at a more competitive rate. Does anyone know where I can find out any further information on this?

I am honestly a nice employer not trying to take advantage of anyone I had someone on jobsbridge before who got a full time position with me.

Yes I am part of a few Erasmus schemes, one with a company called Edutravel World. Once you register with one, your business *suddenly* appears on all the Erasmus databases across Europe!

I'm in web development with staff of 2 and I've been accommodating interns across Europe for over 5 years, usually for 3-6 months. You have to have a full setup - office location, desk, computer(they usually use their own laptop) etc. I've heard of some interns turning up to an apartment.

You can review their CV, skills and interview over the phone or online before accepting and it doesn't cost anything.

Its hit and miss, I've had some dossers over the years and then you have some gems. The last student i had from Czech Republic was brilliant, she is coming back to me to work during the summer.

PM if you need any info.

Advertisement