Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads do you need a big group to enjoy it? Thinking of going with my GF but not sure if the experience will be a bit lost on us if it's just the two of us there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

Question- do you need ID on the gate? only have my passport and don't want to bring it and lose it but can bring it and return it to the car if I need it.

Not terribly young looking so don't know what the craic is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Susanne Sundfor has pulled out on the Sunday, she is being replaced by Booka Brass Band on the main stage.

Thats a pity. She was someone I wanted to see.
    Lads do you need a big group to enjoy it? Thinking of going with my GF but not sure if the experience will be a bit lost on us if it's just the two of us there.

Nope. You'll have a different experience but certainly not a bad one. Youll probably see more stuff.
    fe1hunzo wrote: »
    Question- do you need ID on the gate? only have my passport and don't want to bring it and lose it but can bring it and return it to the car if I need it.

Not terribly young looking so don't know what the craic is.

Didnt see anyone being ID'ed, but as you say they might ID anyone who does look young.

In other news, the funkion one setup in midnight circus broke after gundealach. Bearcubs havent come out at all and so might be late. Or might not even play as AV AV AV are due fairly soon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Serious sound issues in the midnight circus

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

dadoffay wrote: »
    Silly q: If we arrive Sat afternoon by car at A2, will there still be enough room to park, or is there an overflow car park?

There's an overflow carpark A1 directly opposite A2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Thoughts from Day 1:

How come no special wristband for family camping? 7th time here, always had our own wristband before
    The woods remain the heart of the festival. Le Boom @ 7 we’re harmless fun :)
    Fever Ray - special

Sound in M Circus seemed fine for Pantha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Good craic? Thinking of getting a Sudbay ticket, are they strict on bringing in drink for day ticket people?

Only one atm for the whole place is a joke

Mr.S wrote: »
    The queues for it look crazy, especially having to wait in the sun.

Do the bars not take card / contactless?

Only tried a few food places with my card but none would take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heiser

Jon Hopkins last night blew my mind. ****in incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

Nothing quite like Fish Go Deep closing the Absolut on a Saturday. Magical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

W.H Lung was brilliant!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mental in this day and age.

Be good if they implemented a cashless system.

I was at All Points East in London. A few places wouldnt accept cash and would only take card :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Body & Soul blows EP out of the water

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

jmauel wrote: »
    Dont chance it, there is no way you will get any in after the first entry. As was said earlier, on the first entry just bring tent & drink, everything else after.

It seemed pretty easy actually. People just slipping booze under the fence from car park area and then walking back around to pick it up once they passed security checks.

Becoming more common, much better tbh. Other festivals have their own contactless system where you can only use their cards, speeds things up massively.

Theres a level of trust to it though. I like most people dont check each transaction on my statement or remember what i bought. I suppose the vendors are afraid that there will be a tonne of chargeback requests and customers are afraid of being double charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I was a bit grumpy on Thursday when my wife suggested leaving on Sunday instead of Monday, but now I'm very glad of it. Had a fantastic weekend and it was wonderful, but the heat today just killed my energy entirely.

Btw, there were a few food trucks accepting card payments. It really should be all of them at this stage, particularly all the official bars. Also they should have, revisionary idea here, more than 1 ATM. They keep doing this every year and I don't know why. Just adding a second ATM into the existing one would be a massive upgrade!

I suppose the vendors are afraid that there will be a tonne of chargeback requests.

Are these even possible with contactless payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Mental in this day and age.

Be good if they implemented a cashless system.

No one was taking my bitcoin either LOL.

It’s a festival and I never depend on cards. Cash is king.
    Bringing lots of 5 and 10 euros. Stops short changing and traders always welcome the 5s and 10s, almost brings a smile

All of LaHinches ATMs runs out of cash by Sunday on bank holiday weekends so what chance does a festival have ?

Lots of brick and mortar shops around only accept cash + there is a % charge to traders for using cards sometimes as high as 4% of the sale and for what ?

Lots and lots or reasons to carry cash and pay in cash at festivals and else where

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »
    No one was taking my bitcoin either LOL.

It’s a festival and I never depend on cards. Cash is king.
    Bringing lots of 5 and 10 euros. Stops short changing and traders always welcome the 5s and 10s, almost brings a smile

All of LaHinches ATMs runs out of cash by Sunday on bank holiday weekends so what chance does a festival have ?

Lots of brick and mortar shops around only accept cash + there is a % charge to traders for using cards sometimes as high as 4% of the sale and for what ?

Lots and lots or reasons to carry cash and pay in cash at festivals and else where

Running out of cash is one thing, but Body and Soul have had years now to measure the volume of people taking cash out on particular days, so it should be much more predictable to refill, and it's not really excusable when 90% of vendors only accept cash.

Additionally, the main complaint, imo, is the fact that there is 1 sole ATM for the entire site, just one! The queue on Sundays is always ridiculous and ridiculously slow, yet they still haven't bothered to add a 2nd - like how in EP there's an ATM van with 2/3 ATMs built into it, which is markedly more efficient.

In regards to credit card charges, sure there's nearly always a fee, and festivals are one thing, but in general businesses that accept cards - especially in the era of contactless payments and devices like SumUp - are going to get more footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

W.H Lung was brilliant!
    yeah, they were class, only went to see them to get out of the sun but they were brilliant.

worded wrote: »
    there is a % charge to traders for using cards sometimes as high as 4% of the sale and for what ?

Not having to worry about staff handling cash. Less cash to have to safe drop routinely. Less cash to have to store securely. Less cash to transport back to your case of operations. Less cash to have to deposit at the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I was critical enough before going to the festival (mainly about the lineup) but wow, what an amazing weekend down there! Body & Soul is such an enjoyable place to walk around with a can in your hand and see some random acts or eat some nice food and people watch.. We were so lucky with the weather as well which obviously helps but I felt as if this years Body & Soul was more similar to the first year I went in 2014 in terms of crowd. Nicely busy at all of the stages and in the campsites without being too squashy, nice mix of ages and plenty of people enjoying themselves which definitely generates a better atmosphere around the place. There are some gas characters in this country and a lot of them seem to flock to Body & Soul every year...

I went down without any must sees on my list and felt I enjoyed it even more than usual and got to see a little bit of all stages and generally just enjoyed myself a lot more than I did last year. Highlights for me were Ships, Kellyanne Byrne, Jon Hopkins & Sing Along Social, Daithi was also very enjoyable with the live band despite one or two sound issues. I thought that this would be my last Body & Soul but after that weekend I would find it hard to resist going again next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Fantastic festival weekend, really good crowd, great mix of music. Body & Soul is indeed the best festival in the land.

Highlight for me, and all our group, was Shame. Stunning live act. Also Rekjavikurdaetur were really good.

Will definitely be returning next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

1 ATM for the entire festival is a joke, my point was that if they aren't going to provide ATM's (when they know there is always a massive demand every year) then at least introduce some sort of cashless payment system, especially at the bars.

Are you saying you'd prefer to take out a couple of hundred euro for 3 days and keep that in your pocket :confused: Paying by card is easier for everyone involved.

There was two machines next to each other this year but one broke down while I was queuing, another annoying thing that could do with having one security guard to regulate the queue, you know when your waiting and there is a load of people before you what happens is some of their friends would show up, they would give each other hugs and would be like 'wow, how's it going' And then join the queue, so the queue swells and no one is pointing out to these people that this is not fair, join an orderly queue as you are lengthening the time of the people already queuing. I waited an hour and a half in the blazing sun on Saturday afternoon whilst the queue just grew in front of us, BLOODY ANNOYING! Anyway, apart from that and body and soul getting my shifts mixed up a bit I had a bloody good time.

Highlights: Friday: Fever Ray (Phenomenal) and the brilliant Neil Finn at the Reckless in Love stage on Friday night about 1 - 2 AM.

Saturday: Jon Hopkins: Cinema soundscape ambient techno with glitchtronic lushness and eye melting visuals and his cool dancers and because we were in the main arena, my mate Kevin was a regular punter this year so he discovered a lovely new stage in the main campsite called the Friends of the Earth stage. There was some lovely reggae music courtesy of Cian Finn and then Mikey Joyride Soro from Worries Outernational. Was talking to Mikey there and he reckons this could develop into a new Port Royal area. Also heading back to the camp about 1.30 - 2 AM I heard the nuttiest frantic Gabber electronica coming from the Woodlands stage anyone have an ID for this group or DJs :)

Sunday: Who Made Who who were an interesting strange group, Chronnix who was bloody excellent and some amazing act who I have to get the name of, playing the Woodlands stage about 12.30 - 1 AM till 2 AM, they had that 1990s Madchester vibe and a bit of toasting like Beastie Boys style, they were also playing old school rave classics mixed in such as I've got the Power by SNAP. Edit: Just found the name Bon Voyage, they were rather excellent, I basically followed that sound with my heart, I said to Kevin 'What the **** is that?' And we stayed for the rest of their gig. I could hardly find any reference to them online, but Nialler mentions them concerning a mixtape. https://nialler9.com/nialler9-mix-series-bon-voyage-have-a-nice-trip-mixtape/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Anyone know why All Tvvins played on Friday night? I can't seem to find anywhere that said anything about the change in schedule...

Also, did anyone catch Kneecap on Saturday night at the Bulmers Lounge?? They were f*cking phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

where did they play? Son Lux cancelled on the Friday evening due to travel problems, so there was a special guest added on the Midnight Circus that evening, was that them? I would have gone had I known they were playing, but it doesn't seem anyone actually announced who the special guest was. it was only announced on Friday evening too, so I presume most people weren't aware of any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Cant find info online - how many attendees does body and soul have ? Trying to get a sense of scale that ATN willl have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Korvanica wrote: »
    Cant find info online - how many attendees does body and soul have ? Trying to get a sense of scale that ATN willl have.

I believe 15,000 for B&S

10,000 for ATN but I think I read this could change to 15,000

It'll be similar although from Social Media B&S didn't sell out.

Advertisement