Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A bit of distortion in the recording of this one, but I hope you like it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Sorry about quality plus LCD screen turned off after 5 seconds so was forced to use viewfinder hence picture at crowd level rather than taking in the full stage. Bass also has a bit of squelch picked up by the mic The track Red Trails from the new album Plunge is probably or sounds like an outtake or a track left out of the debut album, but superb it is.

One of my final clips, because I was weekend volunteering this year i had less time to amble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anybody end up getting their codes to purchase their early birds this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Charlie wrote: »

That's a big No from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it's gas how close we could have been to a fellow boardsie and never noticed, bodhrandude I must have been close to you for Bon Voyage.
    I loved that set, the DJ was brilliant, great tunes but I wasn't so mad on the MC (I was calling him MC Monotone) but overall really enjoyable.

After that we wandered on to the Pagoda stage and then the Arbutus Yarn.
    What a great weekend, chatted to so many cool people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Just got it there 10 mins ago. By which time the early birds were all sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

So anyone think they'll be attending 2019?

Do you think the 10th year anniversary will add to it? Will there be better known acts seeing as Glastonbury is back around that time of year?

Never been but curious as I won't be able to go to ATN/EP next year and i'm going to Sziget.

Need to fit an irish fest in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Is it generic or unique?

5 time veteran here and no code, despite pre-registering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

generic
    https://events.ticketbooth.eu/event/body-soul-festival-2019/listing

CODE: RITUAL

seems to be early bird tickets there now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Got Mine, there were no early bird ones when i tried initially, but i refreshed and there there were some.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

Feck sake. No code provided despite being with them for years (and Reg’ing) and now the early bird Us&Yous are sold out.

I absolutely love this festival, but their organisation at times makes a real games of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Feck sake. No code provided despite being with them for years (and Reg’ing) and now the early bird Us&Yous are sold out.

I absolutely love this festival, but their organisation at times makes a real games of things.

the Us&You are still there.

I agree though, B&S are very amateur from an organisational POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aurora1966

This has to be the most over rated Irish music festival, had been to the first couple and they were tops, as per usual in this country it has gotten too big for its boots and the mainstream bandwagoners have climbed all over it. BnS has lost its charm just like EP did many years ago, it has become so big it cannot organise tickets/early birds for those who made them, shameful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Aurora1966 wrote: »
    This has to be the most over rated Irish music festival, had been to the first couple and they were tops, as per usual in this country it has gotten too big for its boots and the mainstream bandwagoners have climbed all over it. BnS has lost its charm just like EP did many years ago, it has become so big it cannot organise tickets/early birds for those who made them, shameful stuff.

Chill out. I'm not really sure B&S was ever the right festival for an attitude like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Aurora1966 wrote: »

Have to disagree with this. I've gone the last 5 years and this year was up there with the best yet. Interesting and eclectic line-up, good crowd, decent security, well organised - yes, there's more people going now but it's done remarkably well to retain its core ethos while doing so in my books.

Issues with codes are annoying but are not really part of a bigger issue

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

2019 will be my 10th year - yes it's bigger than was, yes it's lost a lot of its small charm magic, the line up is gradually getting worse, €6:70 a pint; and so on ad infinitum... 
    i went this year with the thought in the back of me noggin that it would possibly be my last one but after another magical weekend there's no way i missing the next one
    Ticket in bag (thanks for the code  GhostDancer
    B&S 2019 - Lets be 'avin ya!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 fuzzyduck4

I'd rate it as a top festival even though for me the music was only a side attraction.  The vibe about the place and meeting the most laid back and fun people I've ever come across is for me the standout reason why its the best festival in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ive not been to every festival in ireland so im not going to make that claim but its definitely better than picnic and forbidden fruit. If I fail at getting glasto tickets this year I won't feel half as bad knowing I have this to fall back on.

Firstly who doesn't bring cash to a festival. You have been to witness you have been to oxegen. If you haven't learned from this, and you have to stand in the Q for the ATM then c'mom, whose fault is that?

Music was whopper this year. Absolute bar and reckless in love were tops.
    Forest was pretty gack in general even though taste is subjective.
    Would have been nice to have a bit more "dance" music in there too.

No ice cream van/shop selling water at reckless in love where everyone was mashed all weekend. In that heat. Whose idea was that?
    Nearest van/wagon ten minute walk away. Moreso unsafe than annoying.

Wont say the best but among the best Body and Soul I have been to. Been to them from 2013 onwards.

Gets harder every year! Great weekend.

Hey man you don't understand I'm on an education course I don't get paid till Thursday midnight, atm wasn't operational then and I had to be near volunteer headquarters on the Friday so wasn't free really till Saturday afternoon. Hence I had seven Euro left and needed to top up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Firstly who doesn't bring cash to a festival. You have been to witness you have been to oxegen. If you haven't learned from this, and you have to stand in the Q for the ATM then c'mom, whose fault is that?

Music was whopper this year. Absolute bar and reckless in love were tops.
    Forest was pretty gack in general even though taste is subjective.
    Would have been nice to have a bit more "dance" music in there too.

No ice cream van/shop selling water at reckless in love where everyone was mashed all weekend. In that heat. Whose idea was that?
    Nearest van/wagon ten minute walk away. Moreso unsafe than annoying.

Wont say the best but among the best Body and Soul I have been to. Been to them from 2013 onwards.

Gets harder every year! Great weekend.

There was actually a water point at the back of the Reckless field, you could refill your bottles for nothing. It was marked on the map as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

There were a good few planes and paragliders over the festival over the weekend. Did any of them take any photos ? Anyone got any links ?

Korvanica wrote: »
    There were a good few planes and paragliders over the festival over the weekend. Did any of them take any photos ? Anyone got any links ?

One of the twats in one of those gliders (where you sit with a powered fan on your back) 'crashed' into one of the car parks. The fücking idiots were buzzing only a few metres above the family campsite for ages and could have crashed there instead. I hope he got a nice big fine or hospital bill for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Apologies for bumping this (as I don't see a 2019 thread yet).

We were looking to get family camping tickets for EP2019, but with the ****show that went on yesterday we didn't (in hindsight, I am happy we didn't)

We would love to bring the kids to a music festival. I can see why people wouldn't, but is something we would like to try at least once.

Can anyone tell me how B&S is for kids. Looking at the website, it looks like kids are well catered for but would like to hear from people on the thread on how they find it.

Some of the things I'd be interested in hearing about would be
    Family Campsite - do families in general respect keeping noise values at night. Are there good facilities(toilet, food) available. How far walk to kid zone and to main arena.

Kid Zone/area - we will have a 6 year old and 12 year old. Are range of activities catered for.

Main Arena - 12 year old may want to go to main arean a bit later in the evening. Probably a difficult question to answer, but is the vibe generally ok? Wouldn't dream of having them in the EP main arena after 9pm!

Thanks!

LowOdour wrote: »
    Apologies for bumping this (as I don't see a 2019 thread yet).

We were looking to get family camping tickets for EP2019, but with the ****show that went on yesterday we didn't (in hindsight, I am happy we didn't)

We would love to bring the kids to a music festival. I can see why people wouldn't, but is something we would like to try at least once.

Can anyone tell me how B&S is for kids. Looking at the website, it looks like kids are well catered for but would like to hear from people on the thread on how they find it.

Some of the things I'd be interested in hearing about would be
    Family Campsite - do families in general respect keeping noise values at night. Are there good facilities(toilet, food) available. How far walk to kid zone and to main arena.

Kid Zone/area - we will have a 6 year old and 12 year old. Are range of activities catered for.

Main Arena - 12 year old may want to go to main arean a bit later in the evening. Probably a difficult question to answer, but is the vibe generally ok? Wouldn't dream of having them in the EP main arena after 9pm!

Thanks!

They completely changed the location of the Family Campsite this year compared to last, but most of the answers are the same:

Campsite noise - good, it's certainly nice and quiet within the campsite. There's a bit of bleed from the main arena, but not too much.

Facilities - there were toilets and showers, and the family campsite entrance is right beside a load of food trucks, so there's plenty to eat nearby. There is also a Soul Kids tent within the family campsite, which has activities like kid's yoga and some creative workshops during the day from 9am.

Distances - not far to the main arena at all, maybe 5 minutes casual walking will get you to the main stage. It's a bit longer to get to the Soul Kids Walled Garden area though, maybe 10 minutes. It's a fairly easy walk though, only 1 minor hill, and nothing the kids will be annoyed by, I think.

Range of activities - have a look at 2018's kids programme and see for yourself I suppose. I would say the 6 year old will be very happy with the Soul Kids activities. The 12 year old would be harder to know, depends on what your 12 year old likes (or if they hate everything yet!). One specific thing to look out for is the UNESCO nature trails, because they'll take the kids off of your hands for like 45 minutes, which could be a godsend (our 2 year old was a bit too young to do this, but maybe next year!).

Main arena vibe - the vibe at this festival is still amazing, and the parts that might contain the more chemically-aided revellers are generally on the periphery of the arena (like Reckless in Love or the forest stages) which can be avoided if you need to. But I would have no qualms about having a 12 year old with me later on. The 6 year old too, but you'll probably get a small handful of grumpy people tutting at you for keeping them up late. In terms of actually bad vibes though, there's nothing to worry about there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭LowOdour

MJohnston wrote: »
    They completely changed the location of the Family Campsite this year compared to last, but most of the answers are the same:

Campsite noise - good, it's certainly nice and quiet within the campsite. There's a bit of bleed from the main arena, but not too much.

Facilities - there were toilets and showers, and the family campsite entrance is right beside a load of food trucks, so there's plenty to eat nearby. There is also a Soul Kids tent within the family campsite, which has activities like kid's yoga and some creative workshops during the day from 9am.

Distances - not far to the main arena at all, maybe 5 minutes casual walking will get you to the main stage. It's a bit longer to get to the Soul Kids Walled Garden area though, maybe 10 minutes. It's a fairly easy walk though, only 1 minor hill, and nothing the kids will be annoyed by, I think.

Range of activities - have a look at 2018's kids programme and see for yourself I suppose. I would say the 6 year old will be very happy with the Soul Kids activities. The 12 year old would be harder to know, depends on what your 12 year old likes (or if they hate everything yet!). One specific thing to look out for is the UNESCO nature trails, because they'll take the kids off of your hands for like 45 minutes, which could be a godsend (our 2 year old was a bit too young to do this, but maybe next year!).

Main arena vibe - the vibe at this festival is still amazing, and the parts that might contain the more chemically-aided revellers are generally on the periphery of the arena (like Reckless in Love or the forest stages) which can be avoided if you need to. But I would have no qualms about having a 12 year old with me later on. The 6 year old too, but you'll probably get a small handful of grumpy people tutting at you for keeping them up late. In terms of actually bad vibes though, there's nothing to worry about there at all.
    @MJohnston - as with the EP thread, a fountain of useful information provided as usual. Thanks very much for your reply.

Definitely going to give this consideration this week.
    I've read more up on the venue today and lots of things are very appealing.
    Will send a message to B&S to see if there is a restriction on tent sizes. I've had my eye on an 8 person tipi style tent for a year now, and would be a good excuse to buy it ( we might bring a friend with our 12 year old), but not sure if it would be allowed... even though it's a fairly standard tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

We’ve been to the last 7 Body and Souls with our family (older kid 7, younger is 3).

For us, more suitable than EP as there’s a lot less people. ATN is tempting us to jump ship but it’s a real family tradition to go to BnS after 7 years so we’ll prob go again. This year was the best for us in a while - the weather played its part and also attendance felt like it was down which is no harm when you’re with kids.

The organised kids activities are grand but it’s more the general festival arena our kids enjoy. The woods are great between the quirky art installations and the ordinary woodland stuff. Jumping off benches and tree stumps, hitting a tree with a stick, climbing etc. all are a regular part of the enjoyment. None of the stages are ever really that busy I would say so it’s easy to hang out at the fringes and soak up the atmosphere while having a snack or a loll (when sunny!).

We always do the hot tubs (often twice!) as they’re in the woods and it’s a more pleasant vibe than the stuck in the middle of a field with passers by gawping style of things @ EP.

I’d say food is really good - a level up from EP I feel with the Food on Board area being a great space to chill with a few beers and a picnic blanket, especially if the dj is good.

Family camping is generally quiet and calm, although seems to move every year and security varies from discreet some years to non-existent this year as far as I could see.

As MJohnston said, the messy end of things is easy enough to avoid. Our experiences with random festival goers skews towards the positive for sure. Our kids had a great time playing balloon soccer with one group of early 20 somethings on the Saturday evening this year.

Main arena at BnS is generally quiet - the dance stages pull the crowds apart from the headliners. Way easier to manage kids at it than EP main stage - always an option to chill on the hill at the back of it.

Advertisement