Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I was thinking of buying tickets off someone who can no longer go and apparently ticketbooth are charging €10 per ticket to change the names which seems like a total rip off.

Has anyone any experience of this? I've heard of gigs such as Radiohead and LCD soundsystem trying to avoid touting by requiring ID of the person who bought the tickets, but not that everyone has to be named, and festivals are a very different scenario to the sellout gigs like R & LCD.

Would almost put me off going, so it would!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

I was thinking of buying tickets off someone who can no longer go and apparently ticketbooth are charging €10 per ticket to change the names which seems like a total rip off.

Has anyone any experience of this? I've heard of gigs such as Radiohead and LCD soundsystem trying to avoid touting by requiring ID of the person who bought the tickets, but not that everyone has to be named, and festivals are a very different scenario to the sellout gigs like R & LCD.

Would almost put me off going, so it would!

Wouldn't know how this goes down at B&S, but this is a fairly common thing, stops the ticket touters charging crazy prices for their tickets, I've seen tickets for festivals go for crazy prices, even EP tickets can go for €500/600 sometimes, so wouldn't consider it a total rip off if the grand scheme

As for Festivals, I just don't see them checking the names on every single ticket, however I could be wrong!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Wouldn't know how this goes down at B&S, but this is a fairly common thing, stops the ticket touters charging crazy prices for their tickets, I've seen tickets for festivals go for crazy prices, even EP tickets can go for €500/600 sometimes, so wouldn't consider it a total rip off if the grand scheme

Well the Radiohead LCD ones were simply not transferrable under any circumstances. Allowing you to change the name but charging a tenner doesn't stop touts. Likewise having to change the names on your friend's ticket. I mean, I rarely buy just one ticket for a gig I usually get 2 and then see who wants to go nearer the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Jon Hopkins is the only thing on there that interests me TBH.
    e: Shame and Smerz too I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

James Holden has some decent tunes also.

James Holden has some decent tunes also.
    like Holden's previous solo stuff, but not a fan of this Animal Spirits project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Hopkins and Holden are the only two I know, but delighted that Hopkins is there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭BikesKilleen

Nothing major popping out but it's been the same for previous years initial line ups for me personally. Jon Hopkins being the standout so far.

Now for the fun part of discovering some gems. Made this playlist of artists top 5 on Spotify to get the ball rolling:

https://open.spotify.com/user/11170088089/playlist/7ol1U6F4Dw6Z4TffRLBFiy?si=zz3rvXCHTkS0hnYvN99Eaw

Enjoying Chronixx, Lankum, Suzanne Sundfor & Gus Dapperton on first listens.

All and all exciting lineup, some familier names that i'm happy with and plenty of new stuff to sink my teeth into

Tank and the Bangas are fantastic, their NPR tiny desk is well worth a look, Chronixx, Lankum & Daithi are good, worth a look

Smerz, Shamir and Son Lux i'm happy with, Hopkins will be brilliant, obviously

Looking forward to see Fever Rays curated lineup, I imagine Susanne Sundfor & Reykjavikurdaetur are a part of that lineup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Korvanica wrote: »

Playlist Updated.

Very excited for Jon Hopkins.

Wonder what acts Fever Rey has brought in. Reykjavíkurdætur are pretty interesting. Hvað er málið sounds like The Creep from Lonely Island.

Saw shamir at picnic a few years ago and wasn't impressed tbh. Might give another go if theres nothing else on at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hopkins, Son Lux, Bearcubs and Daithi I'd know a few songs from. Happy with them!

Have created a playlist anyway with a selection from pretty much all of the acts so I'll do some research over the next few weeks and see what I can find.

Tanks and the Bangas seem cool enough at first listen, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Noodle toodle doo from outer space, well impressed with this line up, Holden, Hopkins, Fever Ray and Chronixx among others. :):):):)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

BS_LINE_UP_FACEBOOK_HEADER_V2.jpg

Do you reckon that means Hopkins for the main stage this year on Sunday night.

The first time Hopkins played B&S.

Second time round.

Hopkins at Electric Picnic.

James Holden at Body & Soul.

Enjoying Chronixx, Lankum, Suzanne Sundfor & Gus Dapperton on first listens.

Don't like Chronixx or Gus Dapperton from a first listen. Chronixx is a bit odd to be a headliner, he seems to only have one album, released last year. Sounds like generic voice modulated pop music. Gus Dapperton is a cool name, but boring though!

Lankum and Suzanne Sundfor are class though.

Fever Ray, James Holden, Roe and Saint Sister should be good too!

Jon Hopkins wouldn't be my kinda music, but I can see why people are happy that he's playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Jon Hopkins is one of the best djs/electronic music producers out there. It's a brilliant booking. I was lucky enough to catch him there in 2013 and 2014. Honestly thought he'd gotten too big for a festival like B &S so delighted to see him on the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

BS_LINE_UP_FACEBOOK_HEADER_V2.jpg

Do you reckon that means Hopkins for the main stage this year on Sunday night.

Hope not...I headed home on the Sunday evening the last couple of years - getting too old for 3 nights on the bounce!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Hope not...I headed home on the Sunday evening the last couple of years - getting too old for 3 nights on the bounce!

I know what you mean :D

She seems to have Knifed (in a good way although original is good as well) the Fever Ray version of this track, I think Karin is the skinhead one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Late to the party but .. happy with most of this, especially delighted to see Shame on this line up. Someone mentioned their Songs of Praise album on the EP thread a while back and it really is an solidly brilliant album. Only after I followed it up that I realised that I knew a few of the tunes form Radio 6.

There is plenty of good stuff on this line up, but Shame was the one that stood out for me.

Overall this is a 9/10 line up announcement.

Edit: I heard Hopkins' new track on Radio 6 last week and I think it is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

When did this sell out last year does anyone know? Girlfriend and I thinking of booking a couple of tickets but probably won't be able to afford it for another week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

bleach94 wrote: »
    When did this sell out last year does anyone know? Girlfriend and I thinking of booking a couple of tickets but probably won't be able to afford it for another week or so.

Some time after the 2nd announcement anyway, when Bonobo etc were added. So it was late April at the earliest they sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Knex. wrote: »
    Some time after the 2nd announcement anyway, when Bonobo etc were added. So it was late April at the earliest they sold out.

I'm pretty sure it didn't sell out last year

Bump: No love for B&S here atm, no chat for nearly two weeks, anyway stumbled across this again, one of the Fever Ray rarities that sits nicely with the rockier stuff like Stranger than kindness, Now's the only time etc. This appears to be only on the Red Riding Hood soundtrack and doesn't appear as a bonus in any of the Fever Ray albums. Would love to see it performed live.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Peesh89

Looking forward to Fever Ray now after the recommendations from people here and on the EP thread in the past.

Can't wait to see both Jon Hopkins and Lankum again.

Wonder when we'll get another few names - just being impatient!

Peesh89 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Fever Ray now after the recommendations from people here and on the EP thread in the past.

Can't wait to see both Jon Hopkins and Lankum again.

Wonder when we'll get another few names - just being impatient!

Mmmmmm Fever Ray be very good, but i'm nearly more looking forward to the curated lineup than her gig itself, the whole Friday night is going the be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Peesh89

Mmmmmm Fever Ray be very good, but i'm nearly more looking forward to the curated lineup than her gig itself, the whole Friday night is going the be fantastic

Have only listened to Fatima Al Qadiri out of the three, I'll have to give the others a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Whats the link, if any, between this festival and the Body & Soul section in Electric Picnic?

• Advertisement

the same people (by and large) run both of them.

Advertisement