Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Bump: No love for B&S here atm, no chat for nearly two weeks, anyway stumbled across this again, one of the Fever Ray rarities that sits nicely with the rockier stuff like Stranger than kindness, Now's the only time etc. This appears to be only on the Red Riding Hood soundtrack and doesn't appear as a bonus in any of the Fever Ray albums. Would love to see it performed live.

Saw her last week in Amsterdam. Great show, lots of energy on stage. She basically has no bad material: every song is a killer. Some of the songs from the self titled had been altered slightly - upped in tempo or slightly different arrangements. Thankfully Leave The Streets Empty was largely left as it was - and it was utterly mesmerising. She should be incredible at B and S.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Arghus wrote: »
    Saw her last week in Amsterdam. Great show, lots of energy on stage. She basically has no bad material: every song is a killer. Some of the songs from the self titled had been altered slightly - upped in tempo or slightly different arrangements. Thankfully Leave The Streets Empty was largely left as it was - and it was utterly mesmerising. She should be incredible at B and S.

Was looking at the setlist over the last month, I hope she varies it a bit, would love to hear Coconut again which is not on the current list, one of my absolute favourites although the current list is very good. Just curious, does one of the singers play the violin for the Red Trails track or does she use a live violin player or just a recording. I still love the current setlist as it is, I'm just thinking she might throw more material out there for festival sets, ha ha I was hoping she might even invite Olof Dreijer and we would also have the Knife as one of the curated lineup. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Was looking at the setlist over the last month, I hope she varies it a bit, would love to hear Coconut again which is not on the current list, one of my absolute favourites although the current list is very good. Just curious, does one of the singers play the violin for the Red Trails track or does she use a live violin player or just a recording. I still love the current setlist as it is, I'm just thinking she might throw more material out there for festival sets, ha ha I was hoping she might even invite Olof Dreijer and we would also have the Knife as one of the curated lineup. :D

One of the other musicians used an accordion and must have ran it through some effects and managed to approximate the sound of the violin, it wasn't exactly like the record, but it was cool in its own right.

There was loads of subtle variations from the studio versions in all of the songs, a lot had live drums or extra layers of hypnotic loops which gave them a bit more ooomph. Really good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FrewBrews

I was hoping she might even invite Olof Dreijer and we would also have the Knife as one of the curated lineup. :D

Olof Dreijier is on the curated lineup but I don’t think as the knife. Said dj set in the image I saw.

Got my ticket today! Looking forward to it. Missed it last year but the year before was a great weekend.

The first clip to appear of the Red Trails track, my favourite from Plunge which is much like the older style of the first Fever Ray album, although I like a lot of Plunge too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 SnakR

Am I the only one who doesn't think the lineup is particularly good at all this year?

Not a huge fan of fever ray...and Hopkins isn't exactly a wow signing since he plays Ireland a lot.

Hoping there'll be a second wave of announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

SnakR wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't think the lineup is particularly good at all this year?

Not a huge fan of fever ray...and Hopkins isn't exactly a wow signing since he plays Ireland a lot.

Yeah I'm not a big fan either really.. The lineups have been getting worse every year or at least get less big names anyway! Haven't properly looked through it yet but Gundelach sound great on first listen..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

SnakR wrote: »

I bought my tickets on the strength of the Fever Ray curated Friday. Just started listen to Susanne Sundfor and she's class.

Not a fan of Jon Hopkins but that's ok too - I can go off and discover some random band in a smaller area.

I'm loving the announcements myself, wouldn't be too keen on Chronixx, why hasn't Toots & the Maytals played Body&Soul yet, are they not made for a festival like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

We are delighted to welcome back Absolut to Body&Soul Festival 2018 with a breath-taking three-day showcase of music and theatre. Famed for championing a carefully curated blend of trailblazing acts from home and abroad, the 2018 Absolut stage line up is arguably the best yet. Featuring Ashley Beedle, Hifi Sean, Jonjo Jury DJ, Bon Voyage, LE BOOM, Lumo Club DJs, The Disconauts, Kelly-Anne Byrne, Mango X MathMan, FishGoDeep, Arveene & Misk and more. Head to bodyandsoul.ie/absolut-bar/ to check out the full Absolut Stage lineup.

lots more at the link, Donal Dineen, Mix & Fairbanks, Tara Stewart, Johnny Moy, Billy Scurry and plenty of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

lots more at the link, Donal Dineen, Mix & Fairbanks, Tara Stewart, Johnny Moy, Billy Scurry and plenty of others.

Ashley Beedle, Queen & Disco, HiFi Sean, FishGoDeep, Get Down Edits, Bon Voyage and Jonjo Jury all worth a checkout, happy to have them on the lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Jumping ship from EP to B&S for the 1st time this year. Not so much on the strength of the B&S line-up but definitely on the back of the EP announcement. Have wanted to check out B&S for a good few years so seems like the perfect opportunity. Here's hoping the June weather gods tend to be kinder than early Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

BananaR wrote: »
    Jumping ship from EP to B&S for the 1st time this year. Not so much on the strength of the B&S line-up but definitely on the back of the EP announcement. Have wanted to check out B&S for a good few years so seems like the perfect opportunity. Here's hoping the June weather gods tend to be kinder than early Sept.

What was the EP announcement? I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

worded wrote: »
    What was the EP announcement? I missed it

No announcement since March. You've not missed any. Just a delayed reaction on my part ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Solid additions !

... WhoMadeWho .. YES!

some good names in there.

Iron & Wine
    Mano Le Tough
    WhoMadeWho
    Pantha Du Prince
    The Drifter
    AV AV AV
    Baikal
    SOULÉ
    Tshegue
    Riley Pearce
    RSAG
    Lilla Vargen
    O Emperor
    Bitch Falcon
    Pillow Queens
    BARQ
    I Am The Cosmos
    Bon Voyage
    Mama Snake
    Sing Along Social
    Dreamcycles
    r.kitt
    Hvmmingbyrd
    Mother Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

ol Pantha will drop by anywhere for a wad of cash - his good though, so all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

Looking forward to this now. Is there generally another announcement or is this it for the bigger acts? Just a name or two that I would love to see added.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to this now. Is there generally another announcement or is this it for the bigger acts? Just a name or two that I would love to see added.

I think generally, big act-wise that's it!

You'll get some more Irish, and some more DJ's that ain't on the lineup poster per-say (similar to the folks currently announced for the AbsoluteBar, which looks great)

I'm hoping to get Fehdah, Shookrah and Jafaris added from the Irish acts they are superb and would really make my B&S cause I do love to support some nice Irish up-and-comers

But, yeah, from an international/big act perspective, I think we're done

I think generally, big act-wise that's it!

You'll get some more Irish, and some more DJ's that ain't on the lineup poster per-say (similar to the folks currently announced for the AbsoluteBar, which looks great)

I'm hoping to get Fehdah, Shookrah and Jafaris added from the Irish acts they are superb and would really make my B&S cause I do love to support some nice Irish up-and-comers

But, yeah, from an international/big act perspective, I think we're done

Shookrah self confirmed

?type=3&theater

Arca added, along with some others
    Arca the legendary producer behind albums by Björk, Kanye, Frank Ocean and more will be performing his signature futuristic show on the Body&Soul Stage this June. He'll be joined by The Busy Twist, Super Extra Bonus Party, W. H. Lung and Dowry - Éna Brennan and all manner of amazing culture, creativity and wellbeing at Body&Soul Festival 2018.

Make sure you've got your ticket, they're dwindling: https://atools.io/ArcaBodySoul18

https://nialler9.com/bodysoul-add-arca-whlung-pow-pig-plus-irish-acts-spekulativ-the-altered-hours-and-more-to-the-lineup/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Saw Frank Ocean in your quote and nearly had a heart attack :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭BikesKilleen

The Reckless In Love schedule has been announced with Maeve looking after the Sunday tunes again this year.

The Mother DJ's really know how to close out an evening too so the Saturday should be good.

Just hope they move the stage to a more atmospheric location as I felt last year was a bit too out in the open!

https://www.facebook.com/BodyandSoulIreland/posts/10160224497315514

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jon Hopkins released a new song and it luuuvly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The Reckless In Love schedule has been announced with Maeve looking after the Sunday tunes again this year.

The Mother DJ's really know how to close out an evening too so the Saturday should be good.

Just hope they move the stage to a more atmospheric location as I felt last year was a bit too out in the open!

https://www.facebook.com/BodyandSoulIreland/posts/10160224497315514

Delighted Mother DJs are curating the stage for a day, but yeah couldn't agree more that stage is way too out in the open and has lost all of it's appeal to me.. It used to be great when it was down in the woods but I guess it just outgrew what the woods was capable of holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hugeglobe

Delighted Mother DJs are curating the stage for a day, but yeah couldn't agree more that stage is way too out in the open and has lost all of it's appeal to me.. It used to be great when it was down in the woods but I guess it just outgrew what the woods was capable of holding.

The hill/amphitheatre is cool, like a mini-main stage but I agree it feels too out in the open and the walk to it is a bit much. I'd say there's a way of connecting it via the woods rather than the track, it would probably feel more part of the site then.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jon Hopkins released a new song and it luuuvly

Nice one, when that was a work in progress during 2015 it was called Halo and it had more of a 6/8 rhythm changing to 4/4 timing near the end but similar in style to Collider. Its now in 4/4 timing completely but brilliant and much better than the clip he released about two months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heiser

Nice one, when that was a work in progress during 2015 it was called Halo and it had more of a 6/8 rhythm changing to 4/4 timing near the end but similar in style to Collider. Its now in 4/4 timing completely but brilliant and much better than the clip he released about two months ago.

I really like that. Its like open Eye Signal, Collider and the Midnight remix all mashed into one

Advertisement