Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Nice selections, here are my own. Will be interesting to see what I actually end up making it to...

Friday:
    • Gundelach (thanks to whoever recommended him…hopefully we get there early enough)
    • Bearclub
    • Le Boom
    • Fontaines
    • AV AV AV
    • Tshegue (another nice new find thanks to here)
    • Fever Ray/Son Lux (not pushed on FR but will give her a chance live)
    • Mix & Fairbanks
    • Lumo DJs

Sat:
    • Meditation (badly needed after the night before)
    • Pillow Queens
    • O Emperor
    • 4.30 - 6.30pm – gap, suggestions welcome
    • Saint Sister
    • Smerz
    • Gus Dapperton
    • Jon Hopkins
    • SEBP

Sun:
    • Daithi
    • Blindboy with Tommy Tiernan
    • Songs in the key of life
    • Shame (can’t wait…would have preferred a smaller stage though)
    • Iron and Wine (not overly pushed but not much else on)
    • WhoMadeWho
    • James Holden/Chronixx (depending on the mood)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hugeglobe

For anyone looking for a good aul thump on Friday night, I'd recommend going to see Mama Snake closing the Reckless in Love stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm delighted to say that there are more acts that I want to see than I can possibly go to. Research over the past few weeks and the advice and suggestions on this thread is paying off!

If the weather holds up, we'll have a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm delighted to say that there are more acts that I want to see than I can possibly go to. Research over the past few weeks and the advice and suggestions on this thread is paying off!

If the weather holds up, we'll have a cracker.

Completely agree.

Thanks everyone for sharing!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Of course this is a rough idea, plenty of clashes so not well though out, if anyone can fix my clashes that would be sound haha

Any advice as to another acts to see, especially on Saturday where I have a six hour gap would be great as well
    Friday -
    Gundelach (First act on, 17.00 Midnight Circus, be rude not to)
    Bearcubs
    Faka (Just the start so I can catch AVAVAV)
    AVAVAV
    Fatima Al Qadiri/Tshegue, (Not sure which one yet, could actually catch the start of one and the end of the other with how the timetable is)
    Fever Ray/R.Kitt (I'm the only one of my friends who seems to like Fever, so strong chance i'll be at R.Kitt)
    Olof Dreijer/Mix & Fairbanks (Going to try swing both, if i can only have one it'll be Olof)

I'd be going to more or less the same, though I'd stay for all of Faka and miss the start of AVAVAV.

Fatima Al Qadiri and Tshegue are too close to call but Fatima Al Qadiri is a bit more interesting IMO. Again, they are not complete clashes so you could ditch Al Qadiri for Tshegue. Would definitely pick Fever Ray and Olof Dreijer over the other two. Fever Ray won't be playing again whereas you can find one of the Kitts playing in Dublin any time.

Saturday -
    MORNING GLORY DISCO BRUNCH (I mean, how could you not)
    Not sure what to do for the 2pm-8pm shift on Saturday, would love any advice regarding this
    Shamir/Smerz (Literally will be a coin toss between who I see)
    Ashley Beedle/Shookrah (Depends on mood, something dancey AB, something more chilled then Shookrah)
    Gus Dapperton/Bon Voyage
    Apollonia Tribal Dance
    Arca
    Jon Hopkins/Tank and the Bangas (I'm so torn here, I don't know which to pick)
    Fish Go Deep
    Mother DJ's

The main stage is pretty good during the saturday afternoon. Pillow Queens, O Emperor, Barq and Saint Sister, though that may be a bit too guitar/singer songwriter if you prefer the more electronic acts.

Think I'll go for Smerz instead of Shamir, it's a toss up between Gus Dapperton and Baxter Drury (he is Ian Drury's son after all) and between R.S.A.G. and ARCA. ARCA seems more worthy, but R.S.A.G. looks like more fun.

As for Jon Hopkins v Tank and the Bangas, that's easy for me as I just don't see what's so special about Jon Hopkins. But I accept that other people do, so I can see why it's a toss up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Banatamon

Hi anyone know if there is anywhere to buy a bag of ice cubes in the festival ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

I'd be going to more or less the same, though I'd stay for all of Faka and miss the start of AVAVAV.

Fatima Al Qadiri and Tshegue are too close to call but Fatima Al Qadiri is a bit more interesting IMO. Again, they are not complete clashes so you could ditch Al Qadiri for Tshegue. Would definitely pick Fever Ray and Olof Dreijer over the other two. Fever Ray won't be playing again whereas you can find one of the Kitts playing in Dublin any time.

The main stage is pretty good during the saturday afternoon. Pillow Queens, O Emperor, Barq and Saint Sister, though that may be a bit too guitar/singer songwriter if you prefer the more electronic acts.

Think I'll go for Smerz instead of Shamir, it's a toss up between Gus Dapperton and Baxter Drury (he is Ian Drury's son after all) and between R.S.A.G. and ARCA. ARCA seems more worthy, but R.S.A.G. looks like more fun.

As for Jon Hopkins v Tank and the Bangas, that's easy for me as I just don't see what's so special about Jon Hopkins. But I accept that other people do, so I can see why it's a toss up!

I owe you a pint good Sir.

Banatamon wrote: »
    Hi anyone know if there is anywhere to buy a bag of ice cubes in the festival ?

My mate's lip swelled up something hilarious last year after falling on his face one night.

You can get ice from some of the bars. The ones that sell spirits anyway. He got a few plastic cups full from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

This is a sort of plan in mind for the weekend, of course, there will be lots of wandering in between and I might not see any of these haha

Friday -
    Gundelach (First act on, 17.00 Midnight Circus, be rude not to)
    Bearcubs
    Faka (Just the start so I can catch AVAVAV)
    AVAVAV
    Fatima Al Qadiri/Tshegue, (Not sure which one yet, could actually catch the start of one and the end of the other with how the timetable is)
    Fever Ray/R.Kitt (I'm the only one of my friends who seems to like Fever, so strong chance i'll be at R.Kitt)
    Olof Dreijer/Mix & Fairbanks (Going to try swing both, if i can only have one it'll be Olof)

Saturday -
    MORNING GLORY DISCO BRUNCH (I mean, how could you not)
    Not sure what to do for the 2pm-8pm shift on Saturday, would love any advice regarding this
    Shamir/Smerz (Literally will be a coin toss between who I see)
    Ashley Beedle/Shookrah (Depends on mood, something dancey AB, something more chilled then Shookrah)
    Gus Dapperton/Bon Voyage
    Apollonia Tribal Dance
    Arca
    Jon Hopkins/Tank and the Bangas (I'm so torn here, I don't know which to pick)
    Fish Go Deep
    Mother DJ's

Sunday -
    Might do House of Yoga depending on hangover
    Daithi
    Soulé
    Tommy Tiernan
    Reckless in love stage (Mano Le Tough etc)
    Get Down Edits
    Maybe James Holden ?

Of course this is a rough idea, plenty of clashes so not well though out, if anyone can fix my clashes that would be sound haha

Any advice as to another acts to see, especially on Saturday where I have a six hour gap would be great as well

Your Friday is pretty much mine also..

Your 2pm 8pm Saturday gap... You could try Donal Dineen, O Emporer, BARQ, Saint Sister, Shamir(amazing at EP a few years back, new music very different)...

What's your toughest clash of the weekend?

For me it's both Shame vs Susanne Sundfor and Whomadewho vs Reykjavikurdaetur.

Shame will win I think.. but the other one is impossible to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

only one for me is AV AV AV vs. Fontaines DC, and I'll be at the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

What's your toughest clash of the weekend?

For me it's both Shame vs Susanne Sundfor and Whomadewho vs Reykjavikurdaetur.

Shame will win I think.. but the other one is impossible to call.
    Pablo did you get campervan ticket sent out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Peesh89

Loving all these lists :)
    Might give Shame and Whomadewho a go after everyones recommendations..

Friday
    18.30-19.00 Sing Along Social - Disco Classics Absolute Bar
    19:00-19:30 Le Boom Woodlands
    20:15-21:15 AV AV AV Midnight Circus
    21:15-22:00 Search Party Animal Woodlands
    21:45-22:45 Tshegue Midnight Circus
    23:00-00:15 Fever Ray Main Stage
    Midnight-Close Lumo Club DJs Absolute Bar

Saturday
    Mother All Day Reckless in Love
    15.00-16.00 Tara Stewart Absolute Bar
    18:30-19:30 Saint Sister Main Stage
    20:00-21:00 Shamir Main Stage
    00:45-01:45 Jon Hopkins Main Stage

Sunday
    Mano Le Tough, The Drifter, Baikal, Lil’Dave All Day Reckless in Love
    14:00-14:45 Daithí Main Stage
    15:15-16:00 Soulé Main Stage
    16.00-16.30 Joanne McNally Comedy Tent
    16:30-17:30 Lankum Main Stage
    18:00-19:00 Sing Along Social Woodlands
    22:45-23:45 James Holden & The Animal Spirits Midnight Circus

• Registered Users Posts: 4 welleb

Any sign of King Kong Company as a late announcement??

I honestly don't know. Am in Portugal until Saturday so can't check the ticket box. I don't remember it arriving though .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

welleb wrote: »
    Any sign of King Kong Company as a late announcement??

They mentioned a while ago they're not playing :mad:

"Ah yeah they don't book the same bands two years in row, hopefully June 2019!!" - KKC Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I must be the only person on boards who goes to this every year with no idea who is playing, comes home having no idea who I saw and starts looking forward to next year as soon as the depression has worn off!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Folks B&S don't send out campervan tickets as far as I am aware, you just print it off like normal ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭BikesKilleen

Love the recent bit of life injected into this thread! It has been a little quieter than it was last year :(

At the moment, my list of acts I want to catch is:

Friday: Campsite banter, Sing Along Social to kick off the main area fun, AV AV AV, Magnier (House Of Disco), Mango & Mathman, Panthu Du Prince, Fever Ray & Olof Dreijer.

Saturday: Elaine Mai, Gus Dapperton, Saint Sister, Arca, Jon Hopkins & Fever Ray. Making sure to catch the Mother DJ's close Reckless in Love as their closing sets are generally amazing!

Sunday: Lankum, Suzanne Sundfor & a lot of the Maeve lads in Reckless in love.

Looking forward to getting lost and stumbling along some gems along the way.

Is it too early to suss the weather radars?!

Love the recent bit of life injected into this thread! It has been a little quieter than it was last year :(

At the moment, my list of acts I want to catch is:

Friday: Campsite banter, Sing Along Social to kick off the main area fun, AV AV AV, Magnier (House Of Disco), Mango & Mathman, Panthu Du Prince, Fever Ray & Olof Dreijer.

Saturday: Elaine Mai, Gus Dapperton, Saint Sister, Arca, Jon Hopkins & Fever Ray. Making sure to catch the Mother DJ's close Reckless in Love as their closing sets are generally amazing!

Sunday: Lankum, Suzanne Sundfor & a lot of the Maeve lads in Reckless in love.

Looking forward to getting lost and stumbling along some gems along the way.

Is it too early to suss the weather radars?!

Yeah, don't do it to yourself until at least this day next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Can't see us getting a repeat of the last few days but once it's dry enough I'll be happy.

Jesus, memories of that Sunday a couple of years back and the place was like a swamp. All the day-trippers stepping off the bus in their sparkling clothes as we made plans to head home!

Can't see us getting a repeat of the last few days but once it's dry enough I'll be happy.

Jesus, memories of that Sunday a couple of years back and the place was like a swamp. All the day-trippers stepping off the bus in their sparkling clothes as we made plans to head home!

We were heading out to the car to get the ol' reliable spare boots early Sunday afternoon and watching the Sunday people coming in was fantastic entertainment. A couple were stopped just after the entrance, near us & you, clothes all pristine clean, she was crying and he was repeating "it's just weather!" while trying not to laugh :D

At another point we were getting some food in the swamp hell that was around midnight circus, saw a very clean girl in a fancy white shirt fall backwards off a picnic bench and squelch in to the mud bath below. She found the funny side to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hugeglobe

Can anyone recommend a good daytime acousticy act to go to on Sat/Sun? Preferably where you can sit down a slurp on a few warm tinnies.

I'm a bit of a staunch electronic guy so I'm finding it a little difficult to find anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 welleb

Is there an app this year?

hugeglobe wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good daytime acousticy act to go to on Sat/Sun? Preferably where you can sit down a slurp on a few warm tinnies.

I'm a bit of a staunch electronic guy so I'm finding it a little difficult to find anyone :)

I'm planning on chilling out at the mains stage on Sunday.

Riley Pierce at 12, although a little early. Then ROE at 1 and Daithi 2.

Daithi is obviously a bit more electronic, but consider that a warmup for the Reckless in Love stage sure! I like the voiceover on his Mary Keane introduction tune.

welleb wrote: »
    Is there an app this year?

Yup.

http://bodyandsoul.ie/project/muddy-app/
    MUDDY APP
    We are delighted to announce our ongoing partnership with festival app Muddy. This year, the Muddy app will feature personalised scheduling and in-app notifications to make sure you don’t miss an act and are up to date with any last minute changes with a digital timetable and information pack! The official app will also satisfy your musical curiosity by allowing you to discover new artists, which is what Body&Soul is all about. Download it before you arrive and once there, all the info you need will show up!

Download for iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/muddy/id969792062?ls=1&mt=8

Download for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.muddyapp

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭BikesKilleen

Peesh89 wrote: »
    We were heading out to the car to get the ol' reliable spare boots early Sunday afternoon and watching the Sunday people coming in was fantastic entertainment. A couple were stopped just after the entrance, near us & you, clothes all pristine clean, she was crying and he was repeating "it's just weather!" while trying not to laugh :D

At another point we were getting some food in the swamp hell that was around midnight circus, saw a very clean girl in a fancy white shirt fall backwards off a picnic bench and squelch in to the mud bath below. She found the funny side to it :)

If that was 2016, we ended up camping along the walkway just before the entrance to the main area. Setting up our camp chairs & watching people trying to wade through the off camber hills was nothing short of hilarious. People linking arms thinking it would help was the best. Falling like dominos!!

If that was 2016, we ended up camping along the walkway just before the entrance to the main area. Setting up our camp chairs & watching people trying to wade through the off camber hills was nothing short of hilarious. People linking arms thinking it would help was the best. Falling like dominos!!

Oh the anxiety walking by any groups who had set up viewing platforms for the mud falling! It made it so much worse, concentrating so hard on not slipping for fear of embarrassment.
    Just needed Benny Hill music playing at the bottom of any little hills.

Edit: (removed comment about weather.... )Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone know if there’s a bus to the festival from Mullingar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Peesh89 wrote: »
    Oh the anxiety walking by any groups who had set up viewing platforms for the mud falling! It made it so much worse, concentrating so hard on not slipping for fear of embarrassment.
    Just needed Benny Hill music playing at the bottom of any little hills.
    No weather can be as bad as that year. Please.

Can't believe you even said that... Jinxed

Advertisement