Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2018

1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Will be closing this thread fairly soon so get all your GOAT arguments in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

ballyargus wrote: »
    He trails 6-1 on hardcourts to Davydenko. Including finals, over a relatively lengthy timespan.

Ah would ye come off it, the last 3 meetings on hardcourts were off the back of injuries where Nadal clearly wasn't fully fit and struggling with his knees. Sure he had to pull out of the Aus Open after one of the meetings and two victories came after a long lay off. A 4th win for Davydenko was a retirement. It seems more like fortuitous timing that Davydenko played Nadal when he did, rather than him being a bad match up for Nadal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Will be closing this thread fairly soon so get all your GOAT arguments in now.

Ah that would be a pity. This forum gets traffic just 4 times a year. We should milk it while we can.

It’s all a bit of fun. They are all great players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I’m not convinced Federer was at his best in 2008. He fought incredibly well and Nadal got the jitters a bit closing in on his first Wimbledon a break up in the third. But if you look at Federer’s performances against Nadal in RG he’d always take Nadal to 4 sets and it would be a competitive match. Yet in 2008 he absolutely annihalated Roger. Something was a bit amiss with Roger that year. There was definitely a dip. Some might say that Rafa improved on grass which is probably true, but did he really improve that much on clay to go from tight victories over Federer to a massacre? I don’t think so.

That is not true.....his performance in SW19 2008 indicate nothing but him being in very good shape and form.....

Nadal was in beast mode, and RF matched him all the way....Yes, 2 sets up was Nadal, but so what. That is slam tennis. RF fought his way back by playing brilliantly.

The level of play in that final was sublime. Speed, power, intensity, shot selection, court coverage and mental pressure.....both men as cloe to their grass court peaks as possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I’m not convinced Federer was at his best in 2008. He fought incredibly well and Nadal got the jitters a bit closing in on his first Wimbledon a break up in the third. But if you look at Federer’s performances against Nadal in RG he’d always take Nadal to 4 sets and it would be a competitive match. Yet in 2008 he absolutely annihalated Roger. Something was a bit amiss with Roger that year. There was definitely a dip. Some might say that Rafa improved on grass which is probably true, but did he really improve that much on clay to go from tight victories over Federer to a massacre? I don’t think so.

Really? Or maybe Nadal just played well and didn't give Federer an inch. You know, sometimes Barcelona will beat Deportivo 8-0, sometimes they'll only beat them 1-0. Anything can happen on any given day, I don't see any indication that Federer's general standard fell other than the say so of Federer fans trying to excuse him being bested.

Even if his standard did fall slightly after 08, surely that's down to being beaten by a quality opposition, feeding doubt into his mind. Naturally the more you lose, the less confident you'll be. That goes with the territory of having actual competition, not Federer becoming a weaker player. It's part and parcel of the game. So what you're really trying to tell us, is that a pre-08 untested Federer who had no real competition is the best ever, and the correlation of him losing more subsequently had nothing to do with better competition but Federer conveniently passing his peak. So we'll ignore the fact he carried on winning slams the minute Nadal was injured. I've never heard such desperate excuses from whining fanboys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

How many more pages can this discussion ramble on for :eek: First time ever I've had to unsubscribe from a tennis thread.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

How many more pages can this discussion ramble on for :eek: First time ever I've had to unsubscribe from a tennis thread.

It does look like it's almost run it's course.

I'm going to lock this thread. I will transfer the last few pages of discussion to a new thread where the conversation can be continued, if people want to continue it.

EDIT: Special thread just for this conversation - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057836001#

Or, for all other tennis talk, the In Between Slams thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823858

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement