Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Kerber giving keys a right skutchin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

splinter65 wrote: »
    Until the age of social media we had no idea what ideologies or politics any sports stars espoused.
    We know nothing about so many we’ve idolized all over the years.
    Anyone who is judging and condemning a sports person on their twitter/Facebook account needs a swift kick up the butt.
    Just enjoy the sports and stop your histrionics.

What the hell? Did you, or any of the people who liked your post, actually see any of what he's posted? Are you aware that he's engaged with many a racist on Twitter, preaches the nonsense posted by the Hopkins person from The Apprentice, and posts homophobia such as this?

https://twitter.com/hecairns/status/955525238531547136

You don't have to grab your pitchfork, but people are perfectly entitled to call him out on his poor behaviour. If you don't think what he said in the above tweet is wrong then.. maybe you agree with it?

People have been discriminated against enough without having to put up with his kind of nonsense, so don't bother trying to dismiss it as "histrionics". Christ :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

What's with that false alarm, smoke alarm in the stadium?
    C'mon Chung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Nothing is stopping Kerber now, she's back to her best.

I think with Berdych, if you keep knocking on the door enough times like he has, eventually it will open. Think there's a few more twists on the men's side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

What the hell? Did you, or any of the people who liked your post, actually see any of what he's posted? Are you aware that he's engaged with many a racist on Twitter, preaches the nonsense posted by the Hopkins person from The Apprentice, and posts homophobia such as this?

You don't have to grab your pitchfork, but people are perfectly entitled to call him out on his poor behaviour. If you don't think what he said in the above tweet is wrong then.. maybe you agree with it?

People have been discriminated against enough without having to put up with his kind of nonsense, so don't bother trying to dismiss it as "histrionics". Christ :rolleyes:

I find this interesting, the person who retweeted this is nearly as bad as him for posting it. It's still out there now for people to get offended about. Isn't that the problem? People will discriminate in their own minds all the time, you cannot police thought, can you? He deleted it. It should stay that way.

The reality is people don't want him to change and see the error of his ways, they just want to virtue signal and feel self righteous.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Mickeyswish

I don't see Federer getting past Berdych, even if he does, I think he will fall at semi final or final. His level isn't high enough to win it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

I find this interesting, the person who retweeted this is nearly as bad as him for posting it. It's still out there now for people to get offended about. Isn't that the problem? People will discriminate in their own minds all the time, you cannot police thought, can you? He deleted it. It should stay that way.

The reality is people don't want him to change and see the error of his ways, they just want to virtue signal and feel self righteous.
    No one is policing his thoughts. You can still call someone out for being a horrible person. The guy is still free to think what he likes. Does not mean people have to call him a nice person.

No the person retweeting it is not as bad. Pointing out homophobia is not as bad as homophobia. That one seems obvious enough. He is not free from the consequences of what he said. Even if he realised later it was a bad pr move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Christy42 wrote: »
    No one is policing his thoughts. You can still call someone out for being a horrible person. The guy is still free to think what he likes. Does not mean people have to call him a nice person.

No the person retweeting it is not as bad. Pointing out homophobia is not as bad as homophobia. That one seems obvious enough. He is not free from the consequences of what he said. Even if he realised later it was a bad pr move.

Is he forever to be hated then? Just people thinking of him as this disgusting person till the end of time for posting his misguided thoughts. Deleting the comments at least mean he has thought about it, albeit most likely from a PR standpoint but hopefully it will make him reevaluate his stance. Did he apoligize?

I only see this call out culture doing any good if it actually changes peoples minds. It seems to me like it's straight up virtue signaling.

Anway, I agree people can not like it and call it out, but sometimes I question their motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

maybe you agree with it?

Well I sure as hell wouldn't like to end up in the middle of a gay club either. Doesn't mean I have anything against the community.

I've seen some interviews with Sandgren now and bar the Jesus nonsense he seems like quite a nice guy. I'd have a pint with him. And if he wants to believe in some conspiracy theory then fine. I'm friends with guys who believe in a lot weirder ****e than that :pac:

Super interested in what Chung's gonna do now. And I wouldn't write Fed off so easily. Gonna be a good match I think. Now if I can just watch some of it without anyone at work noticing!

Is he forever to be hated then? Just people thinking of him as this disgusting person till the end of time for posting his misguided thoughts. Deleting the comments at least mean he has thought about it, albeit most likely from a PR standpoint but hopefully it will make him reevaluate his stance. Did he apoligize?

I only see this call out culture doing any good if it actually changes peoples minds. It seems to me like it's straight up virtue signaling.

Anway, I agree people can not like it and call it out, but sometimes I question their motives.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-5305971/amp/Tennys-Sandgren-hits-dehumanising-media-coverage.html

Not even slightly. Seems to be more annoyed he got called on what he said than anything else. He should take a bit more personal responsibility for what he has said really. He seems to have deleted his tweets to try and get rid of the story more than anything else. (Unless I missed a story elsewhere where he apologised, this was all I could find).

Hopefully he does do some introspection. Certainly I did not suggest he should be hated forever and would not hold past views against him should he come around.

Hopefully Chung can be consistent in a few big competitions going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Good article
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/tennys-sandgren-has-every-right-to-be-fuming/news-story/79addf6f47b3c94d91c45b68cae2f9d5

The left wing media really are scum, taking things out of context for their little witch hunt.

SO ****ING WHAT !!! ?

My eyes would be bleeding if I went into a gay club,
    just like they would be if I went to a one direction concert, doesn't make me a homophobe.

Stop looking to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I don't see Federer getting past Berdych, even if he does, I think he will fall at semi final or final. His level isn't high enough to win it this year.

You were saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Absolutely delighted. Berdych carried his form through to this match opening fiercely but Federer has peaked at the right time this tournament. I couldn't see it but what I gather he was superb today. Really looking forward to the highlights!

Feel bad for Berdych, he did nothing wrong.
    Federer just too good.

Be careful of Chung tho .... he is like a young Djokovic.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-5305971/amp/Tennys-Sandgren-hits-dehumanising-media-coverage.html

Not even slightly. Seems to be more annoyed he got called on what he said than anything else. He should take a bit more personal responsibility for what he has said really. He seems to have deleted his tweets to try and get rid of the story more than anything else. (Unless I missed a story elsewhere where he apologised, this was all I could find).

Hopefully he does do some introspection. Certainly I did not suggest he should be hated forever and would not hold past views against him should he come around.

Yeah how dare he have his own opinion, we will like him if he agrees with us !!!

#wrongthink

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You were saying?

Nice aftertiming. You knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

This match was a microcosm of Berdych's career. Played some great stuff at times, but he has the mental fortitude of an orange, so weak in the crucial moments. Was this result really ever in doubt?! No matter how well Berdych plays in the early rounds of a tournament, he almost always falls to one of the Big 4 in the latter stages, he is not a del Potro/Cilic who can actually beat them when it matters. Not to take away from Fed, he played very well, I just tend to temper any great result when Berdych is on the other side of the net :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

This match was a microcosm of Berdych's career. Played some great stuff at times, but he has the mental fortitude of an orange, so weak in the crucial moments. Was this result really ever in doubt?! No matter how well Berdych plays in the early rounds of a tournament, he almost always falls to one of the Big 4 in the latter stages, he is not a del Potro/Cilic who can actually beat them when it matters. Not to take away from Fed, he played very well, I just tend to temper any great result when Berdych is on the other side of the net :pac:
    He's one of the very few to have beaten Fed multiple times in Slams, I'm sure Fed takes him very seriously indeed. Maybe some people fail to appreciate what Fed is actually achieving at 36, now the oldest Slam semi finalist since 1991.

Yeah how dare he have his own opinion, we will like him if he agrees with us !!!

#wrongthink

Surely by that logic I am allowed my own opinion of Sandgren?

The man is absolutely allowed his opinion. He is not free from the consequences of his words. Neither am I if someone thinks less of me because of this or any other post.

And yeah I tend to dislike people more if I don't think they are a good person. Shocking admission I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Be careful of Chung tho .... he is like a young Djokovic.

Super interested to see how he handles Fed. The kids these days are great little ball bashers and runners, left right left right. But Fed is from a different era, Chung might not have a clue how to deal with him at all.

Can't wait! :pac:

Also, if Fed makes it to the final, does he get number 1 again? Or does he have to win it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭al87987

Rob2D wrote: »
    Super interested to see how he handles Fed. The kids these days are great little ball bashers and runners, left right left right. But Fed is from a different era, Chung might not have a clue how to deal with him at all.

Also, if Fed makes it to the final, does he get number 1 again? Or does he have to win it out?

He's protecting his points from last year so if he wins, he's still number 2 but only 155 points off Rafa.

Good article
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/tennys-sandgren-has-every-right-to-be-fuming/news-story/79addf6f47b3c94d91c45b68cae2f9d5

The left wing media really are scum, taking things out of context for their little witch hunt.

As if right wing hate rags are such paragons of virtue and never lie? People on the right need to stop being little snowflakes and being so offended when they are called out on their racism, misogyny, homophobia etc. I find it bizarre that they are offended by things like the very existence of gay and trans people and Muslims. Stop looking for things to be offended by, especially people just simply existing.

As if right wing hate rags are such paragons of virtue and never lie? People on the right need to stop being little snowflakes and being so offended when they are called out on their racism, misogyny, homophobia etc. I find it bizarre that they are offended by things like the very existence of gay and trans people and Muslims. Stop looking for things to be offended by, especially people just simply existing.

What are you on about ?

Tennys is a racist and a misogynist now ?

Yep, I think his 2nd serve is weak tho, it could prove crucial for Federer to exploit.
    He gets that sorted out tho, in the next few years we could be looking at a multi slam winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Time spent on court:

Federer: 9 hrs 48
    Chung: 11 hrs 55 (+3 hrs 00 doubles)
    Cilic: 14 hrs 45
    Edmund: 14 hrs 48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Caro v Mertens looks and interesting matchup. Be some story if Wozniacki came back from the dead in round 2 and won the title but Mertens looked immense against Svitolina. Coming off a tour win in Hobart and hasn't dropped a set yet I fancy her to pull of the upset tonight.

Kerber looks very formidable though and her matchups were probably the most difficult. Fancy her to beat Halep and ultimately win her 3rd slam on Saturday.

Well I sure as hell wouldn't like to end up in the middle of a gay club either. Doesn't mean I have anything against the community.

I've seen some interviews with Sandgren now and bar the Jesus nonsense he seems like quite a nice guy. I'd have a pint with him. And if he wants to believe in some conspiracy theory then fine. I'm friends with guys who believe in a lot weirder ****e than that :pac:

Super interested in what Chung's gonna do now. And I wouldn't write Fed off so easily. Gonna be a good match I think. Now if I can just watch some of it without anyone at work noticing!

Why, what's wrong with gay clubs?

If you wouldn't like to end up in one then that's fine. Afterwards posting on a public forum that your "eyes are bleeding", "no one should see that" and about the "trannies" inside then that would rather suggest you do have something against the community.

It's great that despite evidence to the contrary you still appear to believe he's a nice guy, but I think as has already been presented his behaviour has gone a little bit beyond believing in conspiracy theories.
    SO ****ING WHAT !!! ?

My eyes would be bleeding if I went into a gay club,
    just like they would be if I went to a one direction concert, doesn't make me a homophobe.

Stop looking to be offended.

What a silly, nonsensical comparison that makes no sense at all. It's patently obvious by what he tweeted what he was implying. If you genuinely can't see what was wrong with that statement, then.. I don't really know what to say to you? Oh and yeah, definitely not a homophobe ;)

#wrongthink

I reserve the right to dislike people who behave appallingly. He's more than entitled to his opinions, and likewise people are entitled to have opinions on his opinions. That's how it works! :)

#dumbhashtag

Forgot to comment on last night's action.. Kerber looked pretty formidable against Keys. It's pretty easy for her though, just keep retrieving and wait for the wild errors to flow. Keys needed to play like she did against Garcia, and obviously she was far from it. Very excited to see who makes the final, I think Mertens bizarrely has the best chance of stopping Kerber now. Harder to play someone you've never played before, you don't know what to expect. Well I guess they did play Hopman Cup a couple of weeks back, but that was an exho.

Disappointing that Berdych rolled over for Federer again. Didn't see the match and was checking the scores. Allowed myself to get a little excited when I saw Berdych was up 5-2 in the first set, only to check later and he was down two sets and a break :pac: Cilic probably has the best chance of stopping Federer now, but I don't want him to win either. I'd love Chung or Edmund to win, but probably not gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Had to scroll up to the top of the page to see what thread I was in. I thought after hours and another thread about alt right and lefties, or was it gay or trans thread. Bizarre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement