Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New network install Cat5e or Cat6

Options
  • 11-01-2018 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I will be doing new runs of cable should I push the budget can get Cat6?

Also where is a good supplier, as I would like to get cable which is coloured not the standard grey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Unless you want to future proof for 10Gb/s (not just 1Gb/s) I would use Cat5e.

On the other hand Cat5e is easier to handle and route and it bends much easier due to most Cat6 cables having a plastic separator running its length.

This page gives sufficient info to decide on what suits your situation, I believe

http://www.cablinginstall.com/articles/2014/12/cat5e-cat6-cat6a-guest-blog.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

thanks for the tip its a home network and dont think I would need 10Gb/s!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I rewired my place a couple of years ago with 5e. It's fast enough for my needs (HD media streaming around the house).

I was thinking I should have future proofed by going with 6 but bear in mind the improvements with wireless. The latest standard, ac, has theoretical speeds of 1Gb/s. In the real world 300-400Mb/s are being achieved.

Sounds like I'll stick with cat5e

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Sounds like I'll stick with cat5e

Cat5e cable is cheap ..... I would advise using two runs of cable per connection.
    Having a spare built in provides some future proofing ..... in case a cable gets damaged by accident.

The extra cost is minimal. ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers! any recommendation on suppliers of Cat5e ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Are you doing it yourself? An electrician should be able to get it at trade prices.

Cablemonkey is decent enough. €35 for 100mt.

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/2684-cat5e-cable

€90 for 305mt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I myself would be pulling Cat 6, it doesn't raise the cost of install by a huge amount when you factor in wall plates and switches. I would be afraid of 'having' to rip out and replace 5e in 5-10 years.

I am planning going the install myself, I have a contact with an electrian might see if we can get my the cable at trade price.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I myself would be pulling Cat 6, it doesn't raise the cost of install by a huge amount when you factor in wall plates and switches. I would be afraid of 'having' to rip out and replace 5e in 5-10 years.

good point as long as its easy enough to run, as heard that cat5e bends easier?

• Advertisement

http://www.freetv.ie/networking/cabling/cat5/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

good point as long as its easy enough to run, as heard that cat5e bends easier?
    Kind of, you can get Cat 5e that's just as tough as basic Cat 6 though. Depends on your access and if you've a helper. You'll be able to get through much smaller radius bends if you've someone feeding it around the corner. The stuff I've used will pull through a 3-4 inch radius bend no bother, if someone is helping feed it it'll go much tighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I want to say CAT6, 7 even! But I can't see a use for it if the interfaces can't generate that speed.

How about doing some trunking where you put the cat5e cables so you can upgrade them if needed.

Or you can have a mix of both. Maybe cat5e in places you know are likely to never ever need a CAT6/7 cable and 6/7 in places that could in time likely have an interface that could either generate or recieve the speeds CAT6/7 would use.

If you really want to future proof things then go directly to a fibre LAN.

;)

This is just for a simple home network with streaming of content and file sharing so cat5e would serve my needs as I don't see need to add expense to the project. I will be running the cable in the wall and it would be moved really.

Will stick with cat5e unless there is a greater benefit in the future to uses cat6.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s about 10 Euro dearer max per 100meters.

Just get the cat 6.

Good point it's not much more in cost

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Cat6a is €2.15 per metre in Maplin.......it doesn’t have the separator in the cable, it has foil sheath on each twisted pair so easy enough to manipulate around corners etc......also good for 10G up to 100M vs 37M for Cat6.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Cat6a is €2.15 per metre in Maplin.......it doesn’t have the separator in the cable, it has foil sheath on each twisted pair so easy enough to manipulate around corners etc......also good for 10G up to 100M vs 37M for Cat6.

Cat6a is usually around a third thicker then Cat6 due to the individual shielding.

Advertisement