Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Layover length - What is too long and what isn't enough

Options
  • 11-01-2018 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've gotten many different answers to this.

What layover should you allow yourself if you are unfamiliar with the airport.

Say I was flying from Dublin to Heathrow with a 1 hour 30 minutes layover before a flight to USA, is that too short?

Or if I were flying Dublin to Boston with a 3 hour layover before my next flight, is that considered a decent time?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

There are a lot of variables...

Distance to your next gate.. having to re-clear security again..

90 minutes in Heathrow is doable but I wouldn't risk it.. You'd need to be sprinting off the plane first and if you're changing terminals hope there is a bus waiting for you at the pick up/drop off point and praying that the transit security isn't busy!

For ease of mind I'd do Dublin to Boston with a 3hr wait.. you'd clear US Immigration in Dublin so when you'd arrive in Boston you just walk off the plane.. you can relax.. have a bite to eat and not worrying about missing your flight in Heathrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Lots of variables

You always have to go through security again in Heathrow, 90 minutes within the same terminal is doable, but between terminals its tight 2 hours at least to be comfortable.

Boston if arriving by Aer Lingus you can avoid having to go through security again for many flights, so 3 hours is actually an awful lot of time as there is no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

2 hours minimum for LHR.

One TA gave me a layover of 1hr10minutes and ensured me I’d make it as I’d be flying in and out of T5 and I had fast track.

The flight to LHR was delayed by 30 minutes, cue me sprinting from T5A to T5C. I made it just on time but I think I lost a stone from the running. Just got to my next seat just to hear the pilot announcing a delay as someone checked bags but then didn’t show up on the flight. If I wasn’t red faced from sprinting I would have been red faced seething with anger :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

90 minutes anywhere can be very tight, any small delay on the first leg means cutting it fine all it takes is a security queue and your missing a flight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

LHR I’d say 2.5 hours if BA to BA.

Lufthansa will allow 45 min connections in Frankfurt and Munich I think which is too tight as coming from Ireland/Uk you are outside Schengen and you need to go through passport control again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For Schengen airports, ignore the minimum connect time quoted and add to it. And never expect your bags if its under an hour.

Took me about an hour in Heathrow switching terminals and I took a detour for a cigarette in another terminal. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

As with all airports, if you are a regular traveller you know your way and can get around quicker

I've certainly raced colleagues from T5B to T2 in LHR, won by 15 minutes purely because I knew the bus to T2 has a secret pick up bus stop in T5B

Get a map of the terminal, work out the likely route and what you need to do to get through, will there be security, passport check etc. Anything which requires a passport check will likely be a problem at EU airports

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Had a very very tight connection once at Frankfurt going from Dublin to HK with LH.

Evening flight from Dublin was delayed because late arrival of inbound ac. Panicking so I was & had 10 mins to spare, luckily the Dublin flight had a parking change at T1 A gates close to the HK flight.

There were ground service agents at the gates meeting and guiding us for the connecting flights, luckily didn’t have to go through security again as in some other airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Just don't connect in Gatwick and you will be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Mokuba wrote: »
    Hi,

I've gotten many different answers to this.

What layover should you allow yourself if you are unfamiliar with the airport.

Say I was flying from Dublin to Heathrow with a 1 hour 30 minutes layover before a flight to USA, is that too short?

Or if I were flying Dublin to Boston with a 3 hour layover before my next flight, is that considered a decent time?

Too many variables

same or different terminals?
    access to fast track
    access to lounges?

If arriving T5 at Heathrow from Ireland with a connection in T5, it can often be quicker go landslide and re-entersecurity. Why? Because Irish flights arrive into T5A and get straight out without any passport check. This allows the passenger to re-enter using any of the available security channels whereas connecting passengers all get sent down the same route. With fasttrack, even further choice, esp if can use First WIng or FastTrack North.

Of changing terminals, in certain cases a bus transfer gets you there quicker than a same terminal transfer.

Access to lounge - very attractive with lengthy layovers.

Personally I target. 2 hour change because it reduces the risk of a baggage failure (I often fly long haul on routes with single daily flights and I can't generally get spare clothes at my destinations) and the layover can be spent in a lounge reducing my frustration levels. Anything more than 5 hours would be a no no and I'd prefer to arrange a layoff and spend24 hours than 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

It boils down to

1. If you check in luggage -> Min 2.5 hours connection should be allowed, as your bags need to come off, move to bag transfer, and be re-loaded

2. If you don't check in luggage -> 2 hours for sanity especially when changing carriers and terminals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

trellheim wrote: »
    It boils down to

1. If you check in luggage -> Min 2.5 hours connection should be allowed, as your bags need to come off, move to bag transfer, and be re-loaded

2. If you don't check in luggage -> 2 hours for sanity especially when changing carriers and terminals

My preference is to have approx. 2 hours when connecting at Heathrow. Purely from a comfort point of view.

I don't think an extra 30 mins is needed on the basis of having a checked bag. I usually check a bag in and have never had a problem with 2 hour connections. In fact, I haven't had problems with bags on 85 minute connections at Heathrow.

BA actually tag checked bags as being "Short Transfer" (I believe 2 hours or less) or "Long Transfer" (more than 2 hours). The bags are loaded such that the "Short Transfer" ones are first off in London and are prioritized accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RebelCork17

Anyone have experience of connecting in STN? Is 2 hours enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

That's a bit terse even for the aviation forum :D

Does it mean Nope, no experience or nope, not long enough, as there's quite a difference between those 2 possibles.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

Hi all

We will have a much tighter time limit in March. Flying from Dublin to Atlanta with delta land at 3:30 local and the connection flight is 4:30 to orlando

I realistically don't see this working out as we will also have luggage for 5.... If we miss the connection is it up to delta to accommodate us on the next flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

pm. wrote: »
    Hi all

We will have a much tighter time limit in March. Flying from Dublin to Atlanta with delta land at 3:30 local and the connection flight is 4:30 to orlando

I realistically don't see this working out as we will also have luggage for 5.... If we miss the connection is it up to delta to accommodate us on the next flight?

1 hour connection is fine as you will have cleared CBP in Dublin and your bags will be transferred to the next flight. You will disembark the flight like a domestic flight and you just walk to your next gate and do not need to clear security.

If for some reason the Dublin flight was late of course Delta will put you on the next Orlando flight which there are many.

You purchased a Dublin to Orlando ticket via Atlanta with Delta so it's up to them to get you to your destination.

Of course if you bought separate tickets that would be a different issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Slight adjustment :D

2 hours is tight. Stansted keep their security queues long to encourage people to buy fast-track. Can be 20 - 25 mins even at quiet times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

2 hours minimum for LHR.

One TA gave me a layover of 1hr10minutes and ensured me I’d make it as I’d be flying in and out of T5 and I had fast track.

The flight to LHR was delayed by 30 minutes, cue me sprinting from T5A to T5C. I made it just on time but I think I lost a stone from the running. Just got to my next seat just to hear the pilot announcing a delay as someone checked bags but then didn’t show up on the flight. If I wasn’t red faced from sprinting I would have been red faced seething with anger :pac:
    I’ve often done 45minutes in Heathrow with plenty time just be sure it’s the same terminal. Never fly Aer Lingus as they use the wrong terminal.

I recently had a 30 min turnabout in Kl , which involved a terminal change. Made it with plenty of time, out bags got delivered to the hotel later.

The trick with stop overs is that if there’s a few flights in the day then book one with a short stopover. If you make it great, if not then the airline put you on the next one at no extra cost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

and your bags will be transferred to the next flight.
    Are you sure about this? You will have cleared immigration but i would assume that you still have to collect your bags and clear customs, then immediately place them on another baggage belt for the next flight.

and your bags will be transferred to the next flight.
    Are you sure about this? You will have cleared immigration but i would assume that you still have to collect your bags and clean customs, then immediately place them on another baggage belt for the next flight.

Any chance of getting the title changed from "layover" to "transfer or transit".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Hi, I hoped the thread would turn into a general info thread so happy about the way it has gone.

However I do have one or two questions that I would love to be answered. ( Hope its still on topic seeing as its a general info thread now)

So we booked Flights from Dublin to Vegas with 3 hours in Boston. All on the one ticket with Aer Lingus but the Bos-LV is with JetBlue.

1. Because its on the one ticket I presume all the luggage gets checked straight through?

2. In Logan, we get off the plane and don't have to go through security or anything again right? I think Aer Lingus and JetBlue are in the same terminal.

3. I couldn't book my seat with JetBlue, when I was booking it said they would be assigned at check in. What are the odds we actually end up sitting together in this scenario and is there any way around it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Mokuba wrote: »
    3. I couldn't book my seat with JetBlue, when I was booking it said they would be assigned at check in. What are the odds we actually end up sitting together in this scenario and is there any way around it?

I booked an Aer Lingus trip that involved a connection with United Airlines.

See screenshot below. My booking confirmation email from Aer Lingus actually included the United Airlines booking reference number. This enabled me to go to "Manage Booking on the United website and select seats.

If the JetBlue booking reference number is not in the email try calling Aer Lingus to see if they can give you the number.

438703.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

KevR wrote: »
    I booked an Aer Lingus trip that involved a connection with United Airlines.

See screenshot below. My booking confirmation email from Aer Lingus actually included the United Airlines booking reference number. This enabled me to go to "Manage Booking on the United website and select seats.

If the JetBlue booking reference number is not in the email try calling Aer Lingus to see if they can give you the number.

438703.PNG

I have the number and was able to get I to JetBlue Manage Booking section.

Unfortunately select seats was greyed out.

I'll keep an eye on it over the coming weeks and see if it changes.

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement