Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton Shopping Center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don't know where they're going to fit a 2 storey mall, multi screen cinema, and hotel if they're just demolishing the Penneys site. Extend into the car park?

Wasn't this on hold previously partly due to the roundabout being required to be turned into a signalised junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

TheChizler wrote: »
    I don't know where they're going to fit a 2 storey mall, multi screen cinema, and hotel if they're just demolishing the Penneys site. Extend into the car park?

Thats what I was thinking too, there isn't that much room on the land, and the parking is already sparse enough there. Would have to be a multistory somewhere. I can't envision this going ahead really, and don't see how Penny's would like being kicked out unless they would be re-opening again? I would love to see something happen with it, its very outdated, but the objections that are going to appear..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

They will take some of the car park space. They will also build a fairly horredous looking multistorey at the back of the site, which i am sure will be objected to. They conveniently leave it off of most of the visuals. its on the sarsfield rd side on the south of the site.

Here's the 2011 planning application for anyone who's interested. I imagine it'll be very similar except leaving the units in the main centre in place? That had a 2-level basement car park right up to the edges of the property.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/0934191/0

Here's the 2011 planning application for anyone who's interested. I imagine it'll be very similar except leaving the units in the main centre in place?

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/0934191/0

I believe that they only want to change the Pennys side of things, and keep the original center if what is said here is correct https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/wilton-shopping-centre-cork-set-11834625

Would be great to have the old application, looks like a ballincollig type center!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

In fairness the place badly needs an upgrade, especially the car park, is there anything in the plans for underground parking?

11214 wrote: »
    In fairness the place badly needs an upgrade, especially the car park, is there anything in the plans for underground parking?

Nah nothing said, we don't know the full plans though. They were apparently talking to the shops about the entire plans tonight though so hopefully we will hear more soon

Anybody hear anything about the meetings from last night? Can't find anything on it! :)

New mall built on the Penneys site, new retail units and a multi storey car park

Bit more detail in the Echo today.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Developers-unveil-big-plans-for-Wilton-centre-e25374d3-8858-4d30-adbe-54c706143912-ds

Complaints that there's nothing being done to the main centre. Thought the last plans partly didn't go ahead precisely because of disruption to the main centre?

• Advertisement

Bit more detail in the Echo today.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Developers-unveil-big-plans-for-Wilton-centre-e25374d3-8858-4d30-adbe-54c706143912-ds

Complaints that there's nothing being done to the main centre. Thought the last plans partly didn't go ahead precisely because of disruption to the main centre?

is it just an expansion of pennys or an actual addition of shops? Hopefully more shops.

I would much prefer if Wilton was just demolished and rebuilt, it needs it. I only thought the last build didn't go ahead because of the Recession hitting!

The last plans were released on 2011 AFAIK, few years deep into recession at that point.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Wilton Centre was state of the art for Cork when it first opened 40 years ago, but of course today it is very outdated and tired looking. It does need a revamp/rebuild but it needs to be sympathetic to the surrounding area. I don’t think increasing car parking is all that good an idea - can they not improve public transport to the Centre?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Wilton Centre was state of the art for Cork when it first opened 40 years ago, but of course today it is very outdated and tired looking. It does need a revamp/rebuild but it needs to be sympathetic to the surrounding area. I don’t think increasing car parking is all that good an idea - can they not improve public transport to the Centre?

214 and 219 buses already stop right outside it, as does the 208 and one other one I believe by the CUH.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

IMG_20180111_192111.jpg

IMG_20180111_195458.jpg

IMG_20180111_195506.jpg

IMG_20180111_195544.jpg

IMG_20180111_195628.jpg

Images from SkyscraperCity. Would be quite a few traffic implications with a new entrance on Sarsfields Road, but in a way delighted to see the removal of the vast amount of surface car park

Wow that side looks 100x better then what is currently there, although I am worried pennys will just own the majority of it again rather then allowing new retailers to move in!

Interested to see how it will look with the old side of the building though. Either way its something!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think it looks fantastic, if it finishes up looking that I will be well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    IMG_20180111_192111.jpg

IMG_20180111_195458.jpg

IMG_20180111_195506.jpg

IMG_20180111_195544.jpg

IMG_20180111_195628.jpg

Images from SkyscraperCity. Would be quite a few traffic implications with a new entrance on Sarsfields Road, but in a way delighted to see the removal of the vast amount of surface car park

Just one entrance and exit from the multi-storey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Same as Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Same as Douglas.

And it is not the entrance that is bottleneck there, just the stupid cross at the middle of the parking.

• Advertisement

Same as Douglas.

The Sarsfields Road is the main link between Wilton and the N40.

There should be zero risk of traffic queues onto this road from the shopping centre. Ridiculous that there will be only one exit and entrance. Lessons should be learned from Douglas and Mahon which see traffic queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

So the car park behind the bus stop across from the CUH is going is it?

From the traffic lights on Bishopstown road to the Wilton roundabout yeah?

So the car park behind the bus stop across from the CUH is going is it?

From the traffic lights on Bishopstown road to the Wilton roundabout yeah?

Looks like it. In my opinion, the new car should have 2 entrances with the other being at the junction with CUH.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looks like it. In my opinion, the new car should have 2 entrances with the other being at the junction with CUH.

I'm trying to think of a multi storey that has 2 entrances? Don't most have 1?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of a multi storey that has 2 entrances? Don't most have 1?

So what?! A new, yet a good idea, is worth implementing...

The proposed carpark does not extend that far, there is a plaza there...

grogi wrote: »
    So what?! A new, yet a good idea, is worth implementing...

I'm sure to all the builders and designers of all the multi story car parks, having 2 entrances is Not a new idea. I'd be confident someone thought of it over the last decade.

Why do you assume it's automatically a Good idea? Design/planning wise there might be a reason why it isn't.

Not sure where the other entrance would go though, considering the other side of the car park is the existing mall?

grogi wrote: »

The proposed carpark does not extend that far, there is a plaza there...

A tunnel could easily be put in place under the new build.

A tunnel could easily be put in place under the new build.

Their budget is 100M for demolition, brand new building, car park, hotel, cinema and interior stuff I am assuming. I would say they are stretched at 100M already let alone building a tunnel, especially with the current retailers wanting them to also do up the old part of the center and modernise it, which would make the budget smaller again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The Sarsfields Road is the main link between Wilton and the N40.

There should be zero risk of traffic queues onto this road from the shopping centre. Ridiculous that there will be only one exit and entrance. Lessons should be learned from Douglas and Mahon which see traffic queues.
    Zero risk? There are already traffic queues at times.
    Having one entrance/exit along the Sarsfield road may assist traffic flow by the lights at CUH?

Advertisement