Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fail a module = Automatic Pass Degree, no matter what your %

Options
  • 11-01-2018 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all
    I did a level 8 honors degree in Business but I had a complete meltdown in one of the module exams.
    I resat the exam and passed it but even if this result was capped at 40%. 
    My overall average was 54% but I only got a Pass Degree.
    It seems incredibly unfair to base 4 years of education down to one meltdown and handicaps me for further education.
    I was told, once you fail a module. A pass is all you can get 
    Is this true??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

For my course in NUIG if you resit an exam you can only get a max of 40% for that exam. It doesn’t automatically mean you only get a pass degree though- if your other results are high you would be okay for an honours degree I think. Check with your course administrator for clarification though. The idea behind the 40% max is to stop people strategically retaking exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shedy

In AIT if you fail two exams you are capped to 40%. Contact the exams office or department you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cherryherry

same thing happened to me, i now want to do my masters but they wouldnt allow me so i have to do a level 8 diploma and aim for 2.1/2.2 to do my masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Never just resit the exam. Getting capped at 40 is useless if you're looking to get a good degree. You're much better to do a different module or repeat the same one.

Advertisement