Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade

Options
  • 11-01-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Finally getting round to partial upgrade
    Changing i5 4460 to i5-7600K &
    MSI GTX 970 to EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
    Any thoughts?
    Is this a good way to go?
    Buying from Amazon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Not sure it will be much of an upgrade on the CPU front, the GPU upgrade is a bit of a step up but not a massive upgrade either.

What are you playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Secondhand i7 to fit current mobo and ram and a 1080.

Secondhand i7 to fit current mobo and ram and a 1080.

That would be a much better upgrade for gaming alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Way better. The 1070 is a massive upgrade on a GTX970 also and I'd personally take an i7-4770 over an i5-7600K.

If you're just playing at 1080/ultra/60hz the CPU probably doesn't even need immediate changing for now for the vast majority of games.

If you're gaming at >60hz the i7 would be ideal too (but in this scenario an Intel quad OC'd will absolutely dominate an i5-4440 and the i7 too in a lot of games).

But if you were adamant on a CPU upgrade I'd be going Coffee Lake at this stage. i5-8600K + Z370 is a monster combination, but an i3-8350K + Z370 is a better choice than 7600K + Z270.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Way better. The 1070 is a massive upgrade on a GTX970 also and I'd personally take an i7-4770 over an i5-7600K.

If you're just playing at 1080/ultra/60hz the CPU probably doesn't even need immediate changing for now for the vast majority of games.

If you're gaming at >60hz the i7 would be ideal too (but in this scenario an Intel quad OC'd will absolutely dominate an i5-4440 and the i7 too in a lot of games).

But if you were adamant on a CPU upgrade I'd be going Coffee Lake at this stage. i5-8600K + Z370 is a monster combination, but an i3-8350K + Z370 is a better choice than 7600K + Z270.

Thanks....thinking of dipping toes in VR...I just about make the specs for oculus & current CPU doesn’t meet HTC minimum requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

skankles wrote: »
    Thanks....thinking of dipping toes in VR...I just about make the specs for oculus & current CPU doesn’t meet HTC minimum requirements.

I game very happily in VR on a 4790K and a 1080

skankles wrote: »

VR will work fine with the i5-4440 in almost every scenario. GPU is the real deal-breaker for VR.

But worst case, i7-4770/4790 + GTX1070 or 1070Ti/1080 and sorted.

Jumping in slightly on OP's topic, where is the best spot to pick up a i7 4790k or similar?

Thinking of getting one myself atm

If you're patient on Adverts they crop up and sell for about €180-200 often enough.

Think CEX sell them for about €220 also but they are a disaster for selling dodgy/faulty stuff. They don't test CPUs at all, just accept them and resell them. Worst case scenario though you can just return it for a refund.

If you're patient on Adverts they crop up and sell for about €180-200 often enough.

Think CEX sell them for about €220 also but they are a disaster for selling dodgy/faulty stuff. They don't test CPUs at all, just accept them and resell them. Worst case scenario though you can just return it for a refund.

Cheers Terror

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Cheers Terror

CEX listing them at €270

Try eBay or Reddit's HardwareSwapUK https://www.reddit.com/r/HardwareSwapUK/

Advertisement