Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Played Castlecomer last Sunday as my Captains qualifiers was called off due to heavy downpours of rain the last few days so course was closed. Love Castlecomer its a hidden gem but a tough walk as a bit hilly in the middle but some fantastic holes and scenery!

27pts and another 0.1. So back to 20 (19.5) It was off the blues in an open comp but what a beast!! I was hitting my drives great even 3 woods of deck probably the best I ever hit them consistently wise. But my old chipping woes came back with a bang! my son could of chipped better and he's 8 :mad:

On 1 hole I thinned it into a bunker after been up at the green in 2 (par 5) ball fell into like a gully. I take it from all the rain. It was impossible to play but tried to smash it threw and hit a flyer oob! so scratched the hole. Found out later I was entitled to a free drop ! :mad: had a feeling but wasn't sure..

This game is starting to get to me now. In practice I play like a single figure hcer! Put a scorecard in my hand and I fall apart.. If its not 1 think like driving its my chipping etc All of which I have got lessons on and put in plenty of practice! Just cant get my head around it as I play regular competitions...

Captains qualifiers this Sat & final Sunday & I'm going into it disheartened :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

benny79 wrote: »

This game is starting to get to me now. In practice I play like a single figure hcer! Put a scorecard in my hand and I fall apart.. If its not 1 think like driving its my chipping etc All of which I have got lessons on and put in plenty of practice! Just cant get my head around it as I play regular competitions...

Captains qualifiers this Sat & final Sunday & I'm going into it disheartened :(
    Just on the chipping woes, I have suffered from these as well. :)

I don't know what your problem is exactly, but for me it was just not committing to the swing and duffing it. That can get in your head and eventually you start duffing every shot as you nearly expect it. So my fix was to actually play those shots differently. Rather than try to go for the committed 'bounce' shot, a lot of the time, I use almost a putting stroke where just my shoulders rotate and I'm playing a pitch and run with whatever club I think will get me closest. Sometimes it's the pitching wedge or a nine iron, other times it's the sand wedge. But that action is almost always repeatable and there aren't too many moving parts to feck up.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Just on the chipping woes, I have suffered from these as well. :)

I don't know what your problem is exactly, but for me it was just not committing to the swing and duffing it. That can get in your head and eventually you start duffing every shot as you nearly expect it. So my fix was to actually play those shots differently. Rather than try to go for the committed 'bounce' shot, a lot of the time, I use almost a putting stroke where just my shoulders rotate and I'm playing a pitch and run with whatever club I think will get me closest. Sometimes it's the pitching wedge or a nine iron, other times it's the sand wedge. But that action is almost always repeatable and there aren't too many moving parts to feck up.

Same duffing and thinning got a lesson and was grand. Sunday first chip I had I thinned it and my confidence went straight away! But I do the putting stroke where possible as you said.. but have being chipping well after lesson with my 56 I just kept lifting my head for some stupid reason Sunday & thinning it, then getting to rigid as I was thinking to much about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Same duffing and thinning got a lesson and was grand. Sunday first chip I had I thinned it and my confidence went straight away! But I do the putting stroke where possible as you said.. but have being chipping well after lesson with my 56 I just kept lifting my head for some stupid reason Sunday & thinning it, then getting to rigid as I was thinking to much about it!
    Yeah, it's anxiety that has you lifting your head. I do it myself on occasion. Just concentrate on the ball and have that as your main thought before the swing. It helps a lot. I often find I do that (lift the head) when I'm unsure as to the kind of shot I'm going to hit. So don't address the ball until you're sure in your mind what the stroke is gong to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wahey a consistent round of golf. 17 front, 19 back. Was 2 better at one stage too (On 14) but it ultimately slipped. Pars from 9-13 were nice, added to 4, 5, 16.

Only one bad hole really, the last. Hit 4 iron off tee, didn't think it could be as bad as the one on 17. Proved myself wrong, got lucky wasn't 3 off the tee. Hacked out a bit, so third was laying up and I played a shot that more resembled a wild swing at a ditch to cut it down. Needed an up and down from 140 to get a cut, left it inches short.

Overall though, the putts just didn't fall. Had like 4/5 lip-outs. Such is golf, it was a nice day and 90-odd percent of shots were good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Had 40pts Thursday singles including a scratch on the 1st hole. Came 2nd on the day. No cut as the CSS was 40pts. Absolutely bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Not hit a ball in 2 weeks after an abysmal few weeks of unbelievable bad golf. Then today went out and had 38 points off 15 with a scratch on the first and the last.
    1 birdie
    8 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 dbl bogey
    2 scratches

Putted very well and drove reasonably.
    Wife was delighted cause she now thinks I will only play twice a month.

She wishes......

41pts today for +6. Was solid with only 1 double bogey scratch through carelessness

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

46 points (79 gross/62 nett) today, in what is by far the best round of my life. Absolutely blew my previous score out of the water (10 + shots), and could have been even better with 3 missed 4 foot putts. Everything just worked really well, and came together for the first time in a long long time. 9 pars, 8 bogeys and a 20 foot birdie putt on the last hole :D

I spent nearly an hour on the range before the game, and tweaked a few things, which seem to have made a massive difference.

Only bad thing is i didn't enter today's competition, as i figured i'd just do some solo practice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭davegilly

Out to 19 (18.5) now.

27 points scored however for the first time ever I lost no ball and played the entire 18 holes with the same ball. Left the driver in the bag and played the 3w off the tee.

Delighted with the ball situation however the score was poor considering I had no penalties. Too many duffed shots.

Progress. Break 30 is the next target.

• Advertisement

41pts off the back sticks again today. 3 bogeys, (2 of which were par 3’s which is something I’ll have to look at) and 1 double. A single birdie on the plus side. Hit a lot of FIR & GIR but too far for realistic birdie chances.

It’s been +6 in JSC for cut of 0.8, 40pts for no cut as CSS was 40 that day, 41pts yesterday for a cut of 0.4 and another 41pts today for a cut of 0.4/0.6 I’d estimate. Any chance that I would get an ESR from these scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

slingerz wrote: »
    41pts off the back sticks again today. 3 bogeys, (2 of which were par 3’s which is something I’ll have to look at) and 1 double. A single birdie on the plus side. Hit a lot of FIR & GIR but too far for realistic birdie chances.

It’s been +6 in JSC for cut of 0.8, 40pts for no cut as CSS was 40 that day, 41pts yesterday for a cut of 0.4 and another 41pts today for a cut of 0.4/0.6 I’d estimate. Any chance that I would get an ESR from these scores?

I don't think so, you need to beat CSS by 4 or more in 2 rounds within 10 rounds AFAIK.

Looks like your round in the JSC could be the first round of a potential ESR, but none of the following rounds will be counted based on the high CSS.

I came third in my clubs Captains day!! �� over the moon and that was with a 10 on the first! 87strokes final rd. Blade my ball from green side bunker into ditch. Ball was intanged in a bush instead of just taking an unplayable i tried to hack it out 4 shots and a damaged 7i! Think i wasjust nervous and not thinking straight..

So just said to myself im not embrassing myself like last year!

Dug deep had a few pars, bogies than on the 8th hole i went eagle, par, birdie, par, par.. Unbelievable stuff.. 137 over the 2 days and third spot was actually lying second for ages till the last group..

And to top it off cut to 17! Giddy up...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

I came third in my clubs Captains day!! �� over the moon and that was with a 10 on the first! 87strokes final rd. Blade my ball from green side bunker into ditch. Ball was intanged in a bush instead of just taking an unplayable i tried to hack it out 4 shots and a damaged 7i! Think i wasjust nervous and not thinking straight..

So just said to myself im not embrassing myself like last year!

Dug deep had a few pars, bogies than on the 8th hole i went eagle, par, birdie, par, par.. Unbelievable stuff.. 137 over the 2 days and third spot was actually lying second for ages till the last group..

And to top it off cut to 17! Giddy up...
    Great Stuff Benny:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Congrats Benny....... Great composure to bounce back from disastrous 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

played a scramble today, drove well, hit mid irons well... but shanked so much inside 100... it's killing me! practising each evening at home & no idea why i'm still doing it on course. probably all my head but just cant shake it. been pretty much there since May...

we finished with 58 net. 54 won it with two 56s in 2nd & 3rd.

we'd a 1 handicapper on the team (with me 10 & other lad 6), he was a joy to play with/watch!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not so good today, with 30 points in Roganstown. My irons were very poor, but my driving and putting were ok. I'd be happy if 30 points is my new bad though, as i've had a fair few sub 20 pointers over the last few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Managed to get 2 rounds in this weekend, previously unheard of for me!! Have gone from once a month to weekly golf now and its starting to pay off.

First round was in the Scratch Cup in Castleknock on Saturday, I never played the course before so was a bit of a gamble but 2 of my playing partners had played it a few times so were great guides. I had a plan to try bogie every hole and take any par / double that came and it worked a treat for the front 9. Pars cancelled out doubles and even a treble on the 8th to be 9 over at the turn.
    Back 9 started great up until the 13th, not a bad drive, edge of green with my second (pin opposite end though) and i made a complete mess of it, walked off with a 7. Frustrated I tried to burst my tee shot on the 14th Index 1, got about 20 yards and then it was a real struggle not to ruin the card, walked off with an 8 :(
    Got it back on track until the 18th, mad left tee shot and a duffed chip into a bunker meant a 6 and that was that. Still a 76 Nett so was happy enough.

Got a call Sunday to play Moate yesterday morning, again with a fellow boardsie. Got there early, good warm up putting and chipping and then proceeded to make a mess of 3 of the first 5 holes. Started double, double, bogie, scratch, double. Struggling for buffer now. Pars on 6, scratch on 7, bogie on 8 and Par on 9 meant i finished the erratic front 9 at last!!!
    Back 9 was a different story, i said i wasn't getting a 0.1 back and was going to go down fighting if i had to. Double on 10 & 11 (both from excellent drives, just sloppy second shots) meant buffer was going to be a battle but what did i do - played the next 7 in 3 over! Bogie, birdie, bogie, par, bogie, bogie & par. Finished the back 9 with 20 points for 34 overall, buffer!! Happy days!!

The game is getting there, just to put a full round together again. it will happen!

Got the results there now - made the buffer in Castleknock but got 0.1 back for my 34 points in Moate. :(

I don't think so, you need to beat CSS by 4 or more in 2 rounds within 10 rounds AFAIK.

Looks like your round in the JSC could be the first round of a potential ESR, but none of the following rounds will be counted based on the high CSS.

Got a 2 shot general play cut from club to bring me to 7.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Got the results there now - made the buffer in Castleknock but got 0.1 back for my 34 points in Moate. :(

I'm not sure if I have ever gotten cut in Moate - lovely course to play but scoring is always so hot and I'm just not prolific enough

Rikand wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I have ever gotten cut in Moate - lovely course to play but scoring is always so hot and I'm just not prolific enough

I was a member there for 3 years and never got a cut!!:eek:

Few courses around where you need to shoot 38/39 upwards to get a cut

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

39 points at my home club - handicap 12.

- 1 through 6, 5 pars, and birdie, then went double, double bogey (disappointing finish to front 9)

back 9 started with double, bogey, par, then BOOOM my first hole in one ! surreal moment, always wondered if I ever had one how I would react, I always imagined I would go full on Tiger Woods on it! but was randomly calm ! I did'nt really know my playing partners so could go Psycho :)

Next tee I was shaking, cause I did'nt want to follow it up with a scratch - but finished the round with Par, Par, Bogey, Par Bogey.

9 Pars

1 birdie

1 eagle (Hole in 1)

4 bogeys

3 Doubles

Hopefully on my way to single figures by the end of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

- 1 through 6, 5 pars, and birdie, then went double, double bogey (disappointing finish to front 9)

back 9 started with double, bogey, par, then BOOOM my first hole in one ! surreal moment, always wondered if I ever had one how I would react, I always imagined I would go full on Tiger Woods on it! but was randomly calm ! I did'nt really know my playing partners so could go Psycho :)

Next tee I was shaking, cause I did'nt want to follow it up with a scratch - but finished the round with Par, Par, Bogey, Par Bogey.

9 Pars

1 birdie

1 eagle (Hole in 1)

4 bogeys

3 Doubles

Well done on the hole in one!

Should be 41 points based on what you have said?

Had 40pts Thursday singles including a scratch on the 1st hole. Came 2nd on the day. No cut as the CSS was 40pts. Absolutely bonkers
    How does this happen?! Surely that is against GUI regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

eoghan104 wrote: »

9 Pars

1 birdie

1 eagle (Hole in 1)

4 bogeys

3 Doubles

Well done on the hole in one!

Should be 41 points based on what you have said?
    Cheers ! I had par's on holes I did'nt have shots on, along with a birdie on index 18 (3pts) and eagle on Index 15 (4 pts) 
    Unless my sums are awful! :)

Yeah that won't matter in the end unless you have worse than doubles.

Who cares anyway, it just caught my eye. Great hole in one and great score well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

SSS must be 39 pts for the course as the CSS can only be SSS -1,0,+1,+2,3,+3 Reduction/Only

https://www.golfnet.ie/sites/ContentControl/About%20Us%20Listing%20Assets/2016%20CONGU%20Manual.pdf

page 63

No idea but I thought your club could cut your handicap if deemed appropriate. The SSS would be 39 for 40 & 41 and 38 for the other 41 so didn’t get and ESR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

No idea but I thought your club could cut your handicap if deemed appropriate. The SSS would be 39 for 40 & 41 and 38 for the other 41 so didn’t get and ESR
    Its the CSS for the competition that matters really but assuming the CCS matched the CSS your scores equate to the following;
    40=-1
    41=-2
    41=-3
    You would not have a marker for the ESR yet but as you said you got cut 2.6 shots the CSS was eith much lower that the SSS or you may have got a general play adjustment, can you post a screen shot of your golfnet record for the last few rounds?

Advertisement