Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advanced java courses

Options
  • 11-01-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I’m considering doing a evening course in advanced Java development to keep my skills sharp.

I’ve come across two courses that are the same in terms of price, length and starting date but the content seems a little different in each

One course looks to be about using java practically where as the other appears to be more about advanced topics in the language

My current level of java is about enough to pass the Associate certificate exam and my current position isn’t really giving me much exposure to as much java as I was hoping .

Course summaries are below, hopefully someone can give me a few pointers to which one would be more relevant \ advantageous

Course 1
    Java development using Generics:
    Java development using Threads and Concurrency:
    Java development using Logging API:
    Java development using Remote Method Invocation:
    Java development using Input/Output Stream:
    Java development using Inner classes, Sockets, Web connectivity and Security:
    Development using Servlets:
    Development using JavaFX-based
    Development using Java Database Connectivity

Course 2
    Aliases and Cloning
    Inheritance
    Polymorphism
    Abstract Classes
    Interfaces
    Enums
    Packages
    Nested
    Classes
    Inner Classes
    Reflection
    Variable Scope within Classes
    Iterators
    Ordered Lists
    Dictionaries/Maps
    Sets
    Internal and external libraries
    Design of libraries
    Library implementation & packaging
    Error handling
    Boundary Conditions
    Unit testing
    Object decomposition
    Model-View-Controller
    Threads
    Introduction to relational databases
    Access & manipulation of relational database
    Optimisation & efficiency
    Client considerations
    User interface
    Installers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

I would go for the second course. If you're good enough to pass the OCA, then the first course covers most of what you already know, or covers stuff you're good enough to learn yourself. The second course seems to cover a lot more, so I'm assuming it's the less practical one.

If you really want to learn how to make good Java software though, just read Effective Java a few times. The books a goldmine. Java Concurrency In Practice is meant to be great too, but I haven't started it yet.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with courses that much. You'll learn most of what you end up knowing either from the job itself or from your own self-studying.

And if you're unhappy with your jobs (In terms of what you're learning, working conditions, etc), just find a new one. Life's too short.

Advertisement