Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic Getaway - Hotel in Cork City Centre

Options
  • 11-01-2018 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi All,

Looking to get away for a few nights from Dublin to Cork City Centre - will be taking the train in. Any suggestions on a nice hotel? Looking for a romantic room and really want a nice bathtub - hopefully a shower for two as well. A jacuzzi or pool would be lovely too.

I'm thinking about the Montenotte, Clayton, Kingsley, or Imperial, but would love some suggestions! Would like to keep it to about €150 per night or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Montenotte might be the one. Clayton is good but bit corporate imo. Not sure about Kingsley and think the imperial is a bit faded...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Montennotte is your best bet, or if you want to stay on the train, maybe Fota but you are isolated from the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

River Lee hotel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

River Lee Hotel. 10 minute stroll to the city centre; next to UCC. https://www.doylecollection.com/hotels/the-river-lee-hotel

Around 5 miles west of the city is the Oriel House Hotel who have recently added suites. https://www.orielhousehotel.ie/elliscollection.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hayfield Mano. You'd get a decent room with breakfast for ~220 if you wanted to push the boat out.

I've stayed in The River Lee twice, nice hotel alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Imperial and the Clayton are the most central. The Imperial is one of the older hotels in the city, though the bar had a major revamp a couple of years back. The Clayton is much more recent/modern, still very central, I'm not sure if I'd call it romantic (different strokes...)

The River Lee is pretty central too, by the river (obvs..) about 5-10 mins out. Quite modern (I generally prefer older hotels with character) but I quite like it! The Metropole is just a 3 star, but McCurtain St. is probably one of the better night-life areas of the city now, lots of bars and restaurants.

The Kingsley is a long way out, never tried it. The Ambassador is quite nice too, not too far from the Montenotte, though it's up quite a bit of a hill (about 10-ish minutes from McCurtain St., mostly vertical. :) ). The Montenotte is probably the nicest of all now, great views of the city, can't comment on pricing. You have a pub & wine-bar at St. Lukes cross, if you need a pit-stop on the way to/from town!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A good friend and myself stayed in the Radisson Blu for 4 night over Christmas and it was fantastic - only 10 mins from the city Centre by train. But it is admittedly a bit out of the city in Little Island.

I’ve also stayed in the Imperial and the Clayton, and if you want minimalist modern go for the Clayton, the Imperial is more of a cozy, old world atmosphere. Both hotels are good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

+1 for hayfield manor. dont go drinking or eating there for your wallets sake though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Any updates since ? Looking to stay around the city center for a night or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Any updates since ? Looking to stay around the city center for a night or 2.

River Lee great, Hayfield Manor if you’re splashing out a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

River Lee great, Hayfield Manor if you’re splashing out a bit.

I’ve often been in Cork but not as a tourist. Any suggestions on what to see or do while we’re there ?

Advertisement