Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

everlast75 wrote: »
    Not knowing how much of the book is dedicated to salacious gossip, but IMHO he should have just stuck to the important facts about mismanagement, incompetence etc rather than sex tapes and tiny hands. The gossip detracts from the weight of his serious comments and gives the critics plenty to aim at
    The book is about the Trump presidency. If Trump is obsessed with sex tapes and tiny hands, I think that's highly relevant to an assessment of his presidency.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The infamous 'pee tape' is so weird, I've never honestly believed it real, figuring it as a bit of a white whale for Trump conspiracy theorists... there are a million other issues that could have sunk his credibility, and if conservatives & evangelicals have already conducted mental gymnastics to justify all those other actions, why would a recorded, sordid kink be any different?

BUT, reading the language of Comey's claims makes me wonder ... is it actually real? Why would Trump ever freak out out over something so ludicrously OTT if he knew for a fact it never happened. Comey's saying Trump wanted it investigated for the sake of Melania, but leaving aside the implied notion that Trump's word isn't enough in this case; what has Trump done that he'd even think rumours of this stupid tape might be true??

Politics 2018 everyone.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The infamous 'pee tape' is so weird, I've never honestly believed it real, figuring it as a bit of a white whale for Trump conspiracy theorists... there are a million other issues that could have sunk his credibility, and if conservatives & evangelicals have already conducted mental gymnastics to justify all those other actions, why would a recorded, sordid kink be any different?

BUT, reading the language of Comey's claims makes me wonder ... is it actually real? Why would Trump ever freak out out over something so ludicrously OTT if he knew for a fact it never happened. Comey's saying Trump wanted it investigated for the sake of Melania, but leaving aside the implied notion that Trump's word isn't enough in this case; what has Trump done that he'd even think rumours of this stupid tape might be true??

My take: it's too good to be true. Therefore, the parsimonious explanation is that it's not true. To my lasting regret.

But that doesn't mean that the effect the story has on Trump, and on his presidency, isn't noteworthy or important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Tiny hands are so much more important that meeting a tyrant head on. President of the USA well into his second year of office, and the begrudgers just get more deluded. Great thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Not knowing how much of the book is dedicated to salacious gossip, but IMHO he should have just stuck to the important facts about mismanagement, incompetence etc rather than sex tapes and tiny hands. The gossip detracts from the weight of his serious comments and gives the critics plenty to aim at

What gossip?

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Tiny hands are so much more important that meeting a tyrant head on. President of the USA well into his second year of office, and the begrudgers just get more deluded. Great thread.
    Tiny hands are Trump's obsession, Mattser. We're supposed to ignore this and pretend he's an effective president?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The book is about the Trump presidency. If Trump is obsessed with sex tapes and tiny hands, I think that's highly relevant to an assessment of his presidency.

Comey has plenty to talk about in this book. My point is reducing it to comments about white half moons under DJT's eyes from the sunbed goggles seems to me to be petty and vindictive. I would believe that his reaction to Russia's interference and many other relevant and high stake issues would be far more worthy of pages in a book.

IMHO, it comes across as a little tabloid and inserted for the purposes of sales. And before it is said, I know one of the main reasons for a book is to sell it, however we are talking about a former head of the FBI, not someone who won I'm a Celebrity.

However, if it was Comey's intention to rile up DJT, then those comments will mean Mission Accomplished.

"'I'm a germaphobe,'" Comey quoted Trump saying. "'There's no way I would let people pee on each other around me. No way.'"
    I like how specific Trump is with his denial.

And how it doesn't sit with him having unprotected extra-marital sex...

And how it doesn't sit with him having unprotected extra-marital sex...
    Doesn't really sit with this either.

• Advertisement

Doesn't really sit with this either.

I swear to God, that f'er wouldn't know the truth if it came up and bit him on his nose..

Comey has plenty to talk about in this book. My point is reducing it to comments about white half moons under DJT's eyes from the sunbed goggles seems to me to be petty and vindictive. I would believe that his reaction to Russia's interference and many other relevant and high stake issues would be far more worthy of pages in a book.
    And they may get far more pages in the book. I wouldn't know; I haven't read it.

And they may get far more pages in the book. I wouldn't know; I haven't read it.

Me neither, which is why I said this in my first comment on the book

And that's where I'd disagree with you. If Trump is affected by the salacious gossip, if it shapes and colours how he deals with people or reacts to events; if it occupies his time and attention and dominates his thinking to the exclusion of what you rightly see as more pressing issues - yeah, that's important. The book should address it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The gossip detracts from the weight of his serious comments and gives the critics plenty to aim at

But if he actually did ask someone to see what they could do about his shower fetish, it's not gossip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mattser wrote: »

Trump positioned himself as a candidate based on his outspoken, celebrity nature who frequently attacked rivals, journalists, allies - everyone - with crude, tabloid talk during his rallies.

He made his bed based on this kind of behaviour, how exactly is it 'begrudgery' to hoist him with his own petard? In fact what exactly are we begrudging? It usually implies a certain form of jealousy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I see Trump has signaled that he now wants to get back in to TPP.

Of course this is probably just another brain fart from the man, like his 'take their guns' or 'get me an agreement and I'll sign it' rubbish, but I wonder what all those the were cheering his cancelation of the deal at the very start of his term have to say about his u-turn?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The denials are what just convinces people more that things are true, and shows how useless a politician he is, and those around him who are unable to even advise him better in how the world works.

For example something coming out about a prime minister, his penis, and a pigs head should have finished him off. But just ignore the issue, make no comment, move along, let the comedians laugh at you, people get bored and mostly forget about it. Then get sunk by an actual political act of stupidity rather than something daft you did 20 years previously

Trumps way of trying to make a story go away however would have been to take out an NDA with the pigs head under the alias of Mr Apple Sauce, paid the farmer off by laundering the cash through the butcher and sued the supermarket that sold the pigs head. Then deny that you've ever even seen a pig and expect people to believe you whilst screaming that it was the other guy before you's fault.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I see Trump has signaled that he now wants to get back in to TPP.
    It's a cunning ploy, straight from page 246 of The Art of the Deal; walk away from a good deal so that you can come back later and seek readmission on less favourable terms. :rolleyes:

(See also: Brexit)

Trump positioned himself as a candidate based on his outspoken, celebrity nature who frequently attacked rivals, journalists, allies - everyone - with crude, tabloid talk during his rallies.

He made his bed based on this kind of behaviour, how exactly is it 'begrudgery' to hoist him with his own petard? In fact what exactly are we begrudging? It usually implies a certain form of jealousy

I just think that others should be and act better than he does. Simple really

• Advertisement

I was more addressing the 'begrudgery' remark, as if somehow it's all sour grapes.

Partially agree that yes, we should probably act better than he does, but equally it's hard not to feel a little schadenfreude at watching Trump squirm as the result of the kind of crude tattle he frequently indulged in across his campaign. He comes across as a perfect example of someone who gives it, but can't take it.

But there is a big difference between repeating this kind of rumour, and discussing how Trump deals with being the subject of this kind of rumour.

I was more addressing the 'begrudgery' remark, as if somehow it's all sour grapes.

Partially agree that yes, we should probably act better than he does, but equally it's hard not to feel a little schadenfreude at watching Trump squirm as the result of the kind of crude tattle he frequently indulged in across his campaign. He comes across as a perfect example of someone who gives it, but can't take it.

100%.

A little of me thinks that this will provoke him and that could go either way. It could cause him to put his foot further in it (if that is possible) or he could do something extreme, eg. Syria.

I also feel some comfort in the belief that whilst the majority of America is probably sick a the fact DJT is president, he himself feels infinitely worse that he is president. I would imagine he would prefer to be anywhere else in the World, than where he is right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will be curious as to how Trump responds to Comey's book. Whether it will be like him bashing Bannon or attempting to stay quiet like with Daniels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Hurrache wrote: »
    But if he actually did ask someone to see what they could do about his shower fetish, it's not gossip.

In the same way he wanted Comey to come out and say that Trump wasn't under investigation, I believe he wanted Comey to "investigate" the peepee tape and come out saying there was no peepee tape, to get him off the hook with Melania.

On a side note, I tend to believe that there is something there with regards to the peepee tape. Let's remember Steele's memos have been pretty much borne out, or rather few, if any of it, has been shown to be incorrect. There is the Michael Cohen meeting in Prague, which Cohen says never happened, but Mueller will know when he left the country and where he flew to, plus European intel would probably have info as well, which may well come out in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will be curious as to how Trump responds to Comey's book. Whether it will be like him bashing Bannon or attempting to stay quiet like with Daniels?
    Answer my own question. It begins...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/984763579210633216

The RNC are already out batting for POTUS on the airwaves. The operation to smear Comey as a liar etc is in full swing, in line with the way they treated McCabe.

The smear campaign against Comey has been running ever since he refused to not help out Flynn. This book will see it launch onto another level.

It is the same playbook they use over and over again. Smear HC over years, never actually having to stand by any accusation as each one is rather trivial, but they add up to the point where a huge amount of Americas has a hatred for the person. They are doing the same with Mueller, in the hope that when a report/charges do come they can ignore them as a witchhunt. Hence why he labels the whole investigation as democrat lead (which it isn't) because he know that his base will use that to simply ignore the report when it comes.

If you thought that was bad check out the next tweet! (how do I put in a tweet?)

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
    Following Following @realDonaldTrump
    More
    ....untruthful slime ball who was, as time has proven, a terrible Director of the FBI. His handling of the Crooked Hillary Clinton case, and the events surrounding it, will go down as one of the worst “botch jobs” of history. It was my great honor to fire James Comey!

1:17 PM - 13 Apr 2018

How is that not trying to obstruct an investigation? He is basically calling a material witness a liar and a slime ball?

Apart from being childish and pathetic, and nowhere close the level you expect from a POTUS (does anybody really still think he didn't call those countries sh1tholes?) it is openly trying to exert influence over the standing of a witness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If you thought that was bad check out the next tweet! (how do I put in a tweet?)

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
    Following Following @realDonaldTrump
    More
    ....untruthful slime ball who was, as time has proven, a terrible Director of the FBI. His handling of the Crooked Hillary Clinton case, and the events surrounding it, will go down as one of the worst “botch jobs” of history. It was my great honor to fire James Comey!

1:17 PM - 13 Apr 2018

AND it took him 15 minutes to write that!
    I'd love to see the other drafts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement