Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Jake Tapper has put the whole farce succinctly

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/984786699514535936?s=19

Apparently Bush even refused to pardon him despite pressure from Cheney himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Where do you begin to absorb today ? The biggest question is whether there are any/some Republicans with even the merest modicum of decency, integrity and patriotism, left ? Fianna Fail are in the ha'penny place when it comes to a lack of ethics compared to the "Party of Lincoln"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The Elliot Broidy guy that I mentioned also is also being investigated for FARA violations in relation to some country. Oh wait, it's Russia.

What the feck is going on. I could understand if there were a few Russian connections here and there as a result of the law of averages but this is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mumha wrote: »
    Where do you begin to absorb today ? The biggest question is whether there are any/some Republicans with even the merest modicum of decency, integrity and patriotism, left ? Fianna Fail are in the ha'penny place when it comes to a lack of ethics compared to the "Party of Lincoln"

He's pretty much flagging that anyone willing to lie for him or obstruct justice on his behalf, in order to keep Trump from trouble, will be looked after by him so go ahead and perjur themselves.

Sanders said during the press conference that people shouldn't be praising Comey, they should be putting him down instead. Classy as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

What a time to be alive.
    This has to be the day that will eventually be reflected upon by the historians as the exact moment when the house of cards fell.

I'll be bereft when it's over, but that's tempered slightly by the thoughts of the mountain of books that will be written about this low point in global politics.

Hurrache wrote: »
    He's pretty much flagging that anyone willing to lie for him or obstruct justice on his behalf, in order to keep Trump from trouble, will be looked after by him so go ahead and perjur themselves.

Absolutely. Though in the case of some, Schneiderman can't be stopped from going after anyone under his jurisdiction.

However, if he pardons any one of Manafort/Flynn/Gates, or fires any one of Rosenstein/Mueller/other DOJ officials, then that will kick off the constitutional crisis, and should bring people onto the streets, shutting the country down.

Trump knows that the House is probably gone already, and it is looking more likely than not that the Senate might go blue as well, in which case time will catch up with him in 2019 anyway, so if he is going to do this, he might as well do it asap.

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Say it ain't so! Laws for thee but not for me.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/383080-watchdog-fired-fbi-official-mccabe-leaked-to-media-to-help-himself

The Department of Justice’s inspector general concluded that fired FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe made a leak to the media “designed to advance his personal interests at the expense of Department leadership,” according to a copy of the report obtained by The Hill.

The report from IG Michael Horowitz makes the case that McCabe authorized disclosures to the media that were designed to combat the perception that he had a conflict of interest in overseeing dual FBI investigations related to former secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

“We concluded that McCabe’s decision to confirm the existence of the [Clinton Foundation] Investigation through an anonymously sourced quote, recounting the content of a phone call with a senior Department official in a manner designed to advance his personal interests at the expense of Department leadership, was clearly not within the public interest exception,” Horowitz wrote.

Why do you keep closing and opening new accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

everlast75 wrote: »

So can he be sued in civil court for naming McCabe and Comey as thieves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Why do you keep closing and opening new accounts?

Stalkers

• Advertisement

Stalkers

Fair enough.

Do you still think that the Russia investigation is a hoax concocted by the sore loser democrats?

Fair enough.

Do you still think that the Russia investigation is a hoax concocted by the sore loser democrats?

Collusion aspect yes. I wouldn't trust Comey as far as I could throw him either.

https://twitter.com/Comey/status/958145125120663553

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, if Trump is pitching this, as a character battle between Comey and himself, I think we all know the winner and loser.

Water John wrote: »
    Well, if Trump is pitching this, as a character battle between Comey and himself, I think we all know the winner and loser.

Watch this video from from 6 minutes on and tell me James Comey has any credibility. Comey's FBI came to the conclusion that all of Clinton's aides had no idea there was a secret server even though through FOAI state department releases and subsequent leaks emails showed her aides talking about how to hide the server and Clinton foundation donations from prosecutors. The fact is he let Clinton walk and drafted an exoneration letter months in advance of even interviewing Clinton and key witnesses.

None of that means Trump is innocent of wrongdoing, the problem is the FBI at the top, Comey, McCabe and whoever else were not playing straight and the dog on the street knows that. Now prosecutors are looking at everything and anything Trump related with a fine comb and some of that will inevitably stick and eventually in all probability bring him down. I'M FINE WITH THAT - what I'm not fine with certain people being above the law and those who want Trump nailed gleefully ignoring the obvious double standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Collusion aspect yes. I wouldn't trust Comey as far as I could throw him either.

On what basis, from this remove, can you claim to trust any of them?

Why would you distrust Comey yet trust Sessions for example?

Why would you trust Trump over Comey? It seems rather odd to choose a side when you can't possibly know the finer details.

I'm not saying you need to trust Comey, but to continue to back Trump despite all the evidence seems extreme

aloyisious wrote: »
    So can he be sued in civil court for naming McCabe and Comey as thieves?

At the very least, the goading of Sessions into firing McCabe, in order to deny him his pension, will ensure McCabe will get his pension.

Watch this video from from 6 minutes on and tell me James Comey has any credibility. Comey's FBI came to the conclusion that all of Clinton's aides had no idea there was a secret server even though through FOAI state department releases and subsequent leaks emails showed her aides talking about how to hide the server and Clinton foundation donations from prosecutors. The fact is he let Clinton walk and drafted an exoneration letter months in advance of even interviewing Clinton and key witnesses.

None of that means Trump is innocent of wrongdoing, the problem is the FBI at the top, Comey, McCabe and whoever else were not playing straight and the dog on the street knows that. Now prosecutors are looking at everything and anything Trump related with a fine comb and some of that will inevitably stick and eventually in all probability bring him down. I'M FINE WITH THAT - what I'm not fine with certain people being above the law and those who want Trump nailed gleefully ignoring the obvious double standards.

Using Jason Chaffetz as a crutch is laughable. Where's Chaffetz now ? Oh yes he had to resign in a hurry. Chaffetz is down there will there with Gowdy and Nunes, the 3 Stooges.

What if there were emails by campaign members looking for Hillary dirt from Russians and a campaign chairman with very strong ties to Russia already indicted?

When you were calling this a hoax, we didn't know what was going to come out. A lot has changed since then.

We know about Stone and wikileaks, Manafort and FSB, Papadololous, Trump's knowledge of the Trump tower meeting and Bannon's opinions of it, Cohen's dealings in Russia etc, etc and that's only a small amount of what we know.

It'll be interesting to hear what Gates and Papadopolous have to say. I look forward to the next account name you pick.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    On what basis, from this remove, can you claim to trust any of them?

Why would you distrust Comey yet trust Sessions for example?

Why would you trust Comey over Trump? It seems rather odd to choose a side when you can't possibly know the finer details.

I'm not saying you need to trust Comey, but to continue to back Trump despite all the evidence seems extreme

Comey's "sin" was pride, not trustworthiness.

McCabe's lawyer just tweeted to Trump

https://twitter.com/mrbromwich/status/984891748064354304

• Advertisement

Darzs4JWkAAuUtW.jpg:large

Mumha wrote: »
    Using Jason Chaffetz as a crutch is laughable. Where's Chaffetz now ? Oh yes he had to resign in a hurry. Chaffetz is down there will there with Gowdy and Nunes, the 3 Stooges.

Yes yes, attack the person, in this case Chaffetz and not the obvious point I was making. Continue praising your god James Comey who apparently can do no wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes yes, attack the person, in this case Chaffetz and not the obvious point I was making. Continue praising your god James Comey who apparently can do no wrong.

This isn't serious discussion. Please read the charter before posting again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Serioursly? you spent your time attacking the person. You just said you wouldn't trust Comey as far as you can throw him!

Come on, be a bit balanced. Nobody is trying to say that either side is whiter than white, but Trump is the POTUS, and also ran on a platform of HC being crooked.

That is why he should he held to the standard that he himself held others too. HC was beaten, if you agree with that then Trump deserves some credit.

That that credit should not extend to him being given a free pass on doing what HC did and more.

What if there were emails by campaign members looking for Hillary dirt from Russians and a campaign chairman with very strong ties to Russia already indicted?

When you were calling this a hoax, we didn't know what was going to come out. A lot has changed since then.

We know about Stone and wikileaks, Manafort and FSB, Papadololous, Trump's knowledge of the Trump tower meeting and Bannon's opinions of it, Cohen's dealings in Russia etc, etc and that's only a small amount of what we know.

It'll be interesting to hear what Gates and Papadopolous have to say. I look forward to the next account name you pick.

I never said it was a hoax, I said there's no evidence of election collusion, there still isn't. I repeatably said Trump's business dealings are likely very shady. Low and behold look what I said only a week ago, sounds eerily familiar to what Comey came out with in his book.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106644366&postcount=3033

All you can do is twist and misrespesent what I say to try to belittle my argument, that's incredibly brave considering 99% of people posting on this echo chamber of a thread carry the same opinion. You should be rewarded a medal for your valor.

2 scoops, you seem to continually agree that there is plenty of shandy things about Trump. Yet he seem to then ignore that and seem to suggest that despite your belief of what he may have done, that he is fine to be POTUS.

Many people, myself included, feel that the leaders that we elect should strive to more than that. POTUS, PM etc are basically the person that society feels best represents them. I think we should all put higher levels for those positions.

2 scoops, you seem to continually agree that there is plenty of shandy things about Trump. Yet he seem to then ignore that and seem to suggest that despite your belief of what he may have done, that he is fine to be POTUS.

Many people, myself included, feel that the leaders that we elect should strive to more than that. POTUS, PM etc are basically the person that society feels best represents them. I think we should all put higher levels for those positions.

When people gleefully ignore a pay for play scheme in the state department and then turn into warriors of ethics and accountability just because it's Trump I will call out that hypocrisy every time. They continue to this day ignoring it whilst lambasting any who dares to point out the double standards or question the intent of the FBI.

Comey and McCabe are as crooked as they come and nothing will convince me otherwise.

https://apnews.com/82df550e1ec646098b434f7d5771f625

"WASHINGTON (AP) — More than half the people outside the government who met with Hillary Clinton while she was secretary of state gave money — either personally or through companies or groups — to the Clinton Foundation. It’s an extraordinary proportion indicating her possible ethics challenges if elected president."

I was just watching MTP-Daily and Chuck Todd was taking Ben Wittes to task over Comey's use of "small hands" and "orange" in his book to describe Trump, but completely ignoring what Trump continually does - yet he picks on Comey for that !!! Wittes hit back on just that and pointed out just today that a POTUS called someone a slimebag. It's unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

When people gleefully ignore a pay for play scheme in the state department and then turn into warriors of ethics and accountability just because it's Trump I will call out that hypocrisy every time. They continue to this day ignoring it whilst lambasting any who dares to point out the double standards or question the intent of the FBI.

Comey and McCabe are as crooked as they come and nothing will convince me otherwise.

https://apnews.com/82df550e1ec646098b434f7d5771f625

"WASHINGTON (AP) — More than half the people outside the government who met with Hillary Clinton while she was secretary of state gave money — either personally or through companies or groups — to the Clinton Foundation. It’s an extraordinary proportion indicating her possible ethics challenges if elected president."

Well DJT needs to make his mind up. He was shaking Comey's hand and calling him very brave in October because he sank HRC's ship and because he now says something bad about DJT he is the boogeyman personified.

The reality is that the FBI is not one individual and if ANYONE lies under oath they deserve their comeuppance. But that you see would mean that Sessions and including others, Libby who DJT just pardoned, should get their comeuppance too.

But... as is always the case with DJT supporters, they only cry foul when it means they get the benefit.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    But... as is always the case with DJT supporters, they only cry foul when it means they get the benefit.

If you call wanting the law to be equally applied to everyone crying foul then so be it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement