Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

2 Scoops wrote: »
    I never said it was a hoax, I said there's no evidence of election collusion, there still isn't. I repeatably said Trump's business dealings are likely very shady. Low and behold look what I said only a week ago, sounds eerily familiar to what Comey came out with in his book.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106644366&postcount=3033

All you can do is twist and misrespesent what I say to try to belittle my argument, that's incredibly brave considering 99% of people posting on this echo chamber of a thread carry the same opinion. You should be rewarded a medal for your valor.

You can check out my work in AH in the Syria thread dealing with Russia apologists if you like. It's a hostile crowd there.

By the way, are you keeping up with the news?
    A former Russian spy helped Donald Trump’s business team seek financing for a Trump-branded tower in the heart of Moscow during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to two sources familiar with the matter.
    This connection between Trump and Russian intelligence — made public here for the first time — is known to special counsel Robert Mueller’s team and raises fresh questions about the president’s connections to the Kremlin. The former agent, who had served in Russia’s military intelligence arm known as the GRU and later worked as an arms dealer, negotiated for financing from a Russian state-owned bank that was under US sanctions at the time.
    But there is a twist: The former Russian spy also helped pass intelligence to the United States government on key national security matters, including al-Qaeda’s weapons caches and North Korea’s attempts to develop nuclear weapons. BuzzFeed News is not naming the the Russian agent because two US intelligence officials said that doing so would endanger his life.

Let's not forget Felix Sater's role in all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

If you call wanting the law to be equally applied to everyone crying foul then so be it.

You haven't confirmed that Sessions should be done for his "lack of candour" nor renounced the pardon for Libby. That's my problem.

I have said i am happy for Comey or McCabe to be punished for lying, I've already said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Who is ignored anything? What people are asking for is for proper legal investigations. If that ends up with Comey, McCabe, HC or Trump is jail I don't think you will find many people complaining.

But the rule of law must be followed. Trump has, to varying degrees, tried to override that rule of law. Comey is a witness in an obstruction of justice investigation yet Trump has gone out of his way to discredit him and anybody associated with him.

You ignored this the last time Scoops, but Trump ran on a platform that somehow HC was using the state to cover for her crimes, yet you seem perfectly fine with Trump sing his power (the power of the state) to try to stop investigation into his.

Now, I have no idea what the reality is, I have my suspicions based on what I have read and heard, but I don't know. But the question I am asking is how can you be so sure that Trump is innocent of everything? And if you can't be sure then surely you can acknowledge that it is good that Trump is investigated until the questions about him can be answered.

Again, you continually profess that you think that Trump probably did get up to some shady things, but brush that off on the basis that someone else was up to something. But someone else is not POTUS. When you claim to be the leader then you should expect that people will want to see leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Who is ignored anything? What people are asking for is for proper legal investigations. If that ends up with Comey, McCabe, HC or Trump is jail I don't think you will find many people complaining.

There will never be equal justice when those doing the investigating are part of the same team. There's ample evidence now that those within the FBI clearly had a favorite. There is no way I will ever say to myself that the investigation of Clinton, her cronies and her foundation was done on a level playing field. On the flip side they are throwing hell for leather at Trump and I'm already convinced he'll be impeached.

Trump is likely guilty of crimes, he went bust in the 90s and started funneling money from abroad, everyone knows this but from what I have seen that has nothing to do with election interference.

What I want to see is the crown jewel, correspondence between Trump or his campaign and the Russian Government where an agreement was reached between both parties for the leaking of Podesta's and the DNC emails. Not hearsay, not circumstantial evidence, actual evidence that proves it happened beyond a reasonable doubt. That's the main charge and if it comes to light that it happened and there was a conspiracy I will gladly hold my hands up and say I was wrong. I've been saying that for 18 months now and I'm still waiting for the smoking gun.

There will never be equal justice when those doing the investigating are part of the same team. There's ample evidence now that those within the FBI clearly had a favorite. There is no way I will ever say to myself that the investigation of Clinton, her cronies and her foundation was done on a level playing field. On the flip side they are throwing hell for leather at Trump and I'm already convinced he'll be impeached.

Trump is likely guilty of crimes, he went bust in the 90s and started funneling money from abroad, everyone knows this but from what I have seen that has nothing to do with election interference.

What I want to see is the crown jewel, correspondence between Trump or his campaign and the Russian Government where an agreement was reached between both parties for the leaking of Podesta's and the DNC emails. Not hearsay, not circumstantial evidence, actual evidence that proves it happened beyond a reasonable doubt. That's the main charge and if it comes to light that it happened and there was a conspiracy I will gladly hold my hands up and say I was wrong. I've been saying that for 18 months now and I'm still waiting for the smoking gun.

THE FBI COST CLINTON THE ELECTION.

Is that clear enough for you?

Equal playing ground indeed...

And you still haven't addressed the double standards in terms of ramifications for lying

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    THE FBI COST CLINTON THE ELECTION.

Is that clear enough for you?

Equal playing ground indeed...

And you still haven't addressed the double standards in terms of ramifications for lying

It wasn't for a lack of trying..

It's impossible to judge how much of an impact it had. I'd argue the email dumps were far more damaging.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fbi-officials-delayed-telling-congress-of-clinton-emails-discovered-before-2016-election-1517450265

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're setting a high, probably unreachable bar for you to be convinced of Russian collusion. You want to see written in a contract Sccops
    We all know that is not how these things work. The standard as always is, beyond reasonable doubt. You know, if it walks, quacks and looks like a duck, it probably is a duck, in plain language. Beyond reasonable doubt, does not require a written visible contract. That is absolute proof, is the bar, you are setting. In essence, you want the thief, caught red handed.

This is interesting..

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/ordered-court-grants-trump-request-intervene-michael-cohen-case/

A federal judge in Manhattan granted President Donald Trump’s request to intervene in the court hearing regarding longtime attorney Michael Cohen, whose offices were raided on Monday.
    Erica Orden, a political reporter for The Wall Street Journal broke the news via Twitter on Friday.
    “The Court GRANTS the application of President Trump to intervene in this proceeding. SO ORDERED,” she tweeted.

Shít is really starting to hit the fan now...

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/984920699583287297

My understanding is the Judge simply acknowledged that Trump had an interest in the case and that it should be recognised. No indication that any view, he may put forward would prevail.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    My understanding is the Judge simply acknowledged that Trump had an interest in the case and that it should be recognised. No indication that any view, he may put forward would prevail.

I took it as Cohen's lawyers will be able to choose what they submit to investigators, at least that's the talk on twitter anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I'm watching Ari Melber at the moment and he said "It's not protected if it's not legal work. And none of it is legal work."

Cohen hasn't done any legal work: It's all just payoffs.

The Taint team are currently going through all the documents anyway.

I took it as Cohen's lawyers will be able to choose what they submit to investigators, at least that's the talk on twitter anyway.

Nope.
    The (unfortunately named) taint team decide what is privileged and what is not.
    What is worse for Cohen and Trump is that, not only were there recordings, but a lot of Cohen's dealings were not legal matters.... and therefore NOT covered by attorney/client privilege.

Cohen was Trump's fixer, who happened to be a lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Is it just me but has manBaby trump just played his hand a bit early ?.....interfering in the investigation of his lawyer?

Cohen was Trump's fixer, who happened to be a lawyer.

No disagreement there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is it just me but has manBaby trump just played his hand a bit early ?.....interfering in the investigation of his lawyer?

Why not? I mean if he felt his hand was forced and he needed something in there to go away he pretty much had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Hohoho and I only mentioned this today !

>
    WASHINGTON

The Justice Department special counsel has evidence that Donald Trump’s personal lawyer and confidant, Michael Cohen, secretly made a late-summer trip to Prague during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Confirmation of the trip would lend credence to a retired British spy’s report that Cohen strategized there with a powerful Kremlin figure about Russian meddling in the U.S. election.

It would also be one of the most significant developments thus far in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of whether the Trump campaign and the Kremlin worked together to help Trump win the White House. Undercutting Trump’s repeated pronouncements that “there is no evidence of collusion,” it also could ratchet up the stakes if the president tries, as he has intimated he might for months, to order Mueller’s firing

Mumha wrote: »
    Hohoho and I only mentioned this today !

>
    WASHINGTON

The Justice Department special counsel has evidence that Donald Trump’s personal lawyer and confidant, Michael Cohen, secretly made a late-summer trip to Prague during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Confirmation of the trip would lend credence to a retired British spy’s report that Cohen strategized there with a powerful Kremlin figure about Russian meddling in the U.S. election.

It would also be one of the most significant developments thus far in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of whether the Trump campaign and the Kremlin worked together to help Trump win the White House. Undercutting Trump’s repeated pronouncements that “there is no evidence of collusion,” it also could ratchet up the stakes if the president tries, as he has intimated he might for months, to order Mueller’s firing

But, he showed us the outside of his passport.

He will be handing it in shortly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭derb12

I heard a nice line this evening.
    Basically along the lines of "Cohen isn't really trump's attorney, he's more of a fixer ... And there's no such thing as fixer-client privilege"

Even if Mueller is fired, or his report is ignored, the SDNY will continue with their investigation.

So, there's a little bit of karma in that the good prople of NYC, who had to put up with DJT for years, will be the ones who bring him down....

CNN confirmed he was in the country, take that as you may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭derb12

Trump announcing strikes on Syria happening now in agreement with uk and France.
    Interesting times!
    I think this is the right action, assuming missiles are hitting military targets.
    Trump seems a bit breathless delivering his speech. He seems really nervous!
    Also, interestingly, he has mentioned Qatar and Saudi Arabia as friends. I guess that ends the blockade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,829 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don has just given a presidential address to the US. It's a go on the attack. CNN reporting US special Forces on the ground in Syria, explosions heard in Damascus. Don mentioned Qatar as one of the US allies in the region. He asked the Russians to stand b their committments of several years ago to stop Syria producing chemical weapons, recalling WW! a hundred years ago. This is something Don cannot walk away from or deny, He's committed his country to warfare, no matter how limited, it's part of his historical record.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Don has just given a presidential address to the US. It's a go on the attack. CNN reporting US special Forces on the ground in Syria, explosions heard in Damascus. Don mentioned Qatar as one of the US allies in the region. He asked the Russians to stand b their committments of several years ago to stop Syria producing chemical weapons, recalling WW! a hundred years ago.

Not that the chenical attacks were not a terrible incident, But is this just not another distraction attempt by Trump given he said numerous times on the campaign trail that the U.S. should not become invloved in foreign conflicts?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-military/trump-lays-out-non-interventionist-u-s-military-policy-idUSKBN13W06L

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Not that the chenical attacks were not a terrible incident, But is this just not another distraction attempt by Trump given he said numerous times on the campaign trail that the U.S. should not become invloved in foreign conflicts?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-military/trump-lays-out-non-interventionist-u-s-military-policy-idUSKBN13W06L

Committments were there when he took over. He is cynical when it comes to using authority but this time he was bypassed by events ordered by other main players, things outside his control. One point to note so far, it's the boss making the announcement. If he's keeps on being the sole speaker, or has his White House press rep doing the speaking instead of the General/Admirals in charge of the field Ops, then he's making a point to them.

I'll wait to see if the US is using Turkish air bases like the UK is using Akrotiri in Cyprus.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Committments were there when he took over. He is cynical when it comes to using authority but this time he was bypassed by events ordered by other main players, things outside his control.

How so as I'm travelling at the moment and not able to keep up with things as much as I want to.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    How so as I'm travelling at the moment and not able to keep up with things as much as I want to.

Pres Obama committed US ground forces to Syria to fight ISIS in 2015, they've been there on the ground since then, the forces Don was talking about withdrawing last week from Syria before the chemical attack overtook anything he had in mind and forced his response with his alllies. The Syrians and Russians would presumably know the locations of those US Pers. One thing I'd be worried about is if any iranian forces in Syria were hit. The Iranian Nat Guard have naval forces and have used ight craft on suicidal missions in the past against foreign naval craft. That would be something outside Russian control.

Edit: one side effect to this is that Don, due to his position as president, will likely be untouchable for a while. It doesn't do good to target a president in time of warfare, something he can't have planned for to fortify his position but he won't walk away from. However, if he keeps up his normal tweeting habit, he'll lessen any help he's going to get from the current US position, so if I was him him, I'd ditch the keyboard for a while.

• Advertisement

CNN confirmed he was in the country, take that as you may.

In the US or europe? Because if he was in Prague and denied it, it makes the dossier's allegations a bit more compelling.

It's weird. It's like all those things people thought about Trump keep turning out to be true. I had my doubts about the piss tape but now, who knows?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement