Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I saw a pic this morning of Pence beside Trump.

He really does have that look of a dad at a Parent Teacher meeting, trying to explain away the actions of a dysfunctional son.

That tired, tight, strained smile and excuses like "well, that's not what he meant" and "well, wasn't the other kid acting up too?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

B0jangles wrote: »
    If Trump goes down, it's going to be extremely hard for anyone to credibly claim Pence was not involved in any of the scandals - he was reportedly hand-picked Paul Manafort to be Trump's running-mate.

Paul 'Multiple Indictments' Manafort
    I hate Pence as much as the next guy and would hate for him to be POTUS46, but they seem to have been very careful to keep Pence away from all of this Trump mess.

Is it credible that he was unaware of any (alleged) collusion? Of course it's not. But is it possible that he has been insulated from the alleged acts themselves? I'd say it absolutely is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

everlast75 wrote: »
    I get that and understand you point and agree to a level.

Nixon however had pretty much one controversy. Watergate.

Nixon was still at 24% approval when he had to resign to avoid being impeached.

I expect the same support for Trump if he is impeached. And we are a long way from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

https://mobile.twitter.com/krassenstein/status/985376540602064897

No idea the validity of this. Will probably get lost with everything else going on..........

TRS30 wrote: »

No idea the validity of this. Will probably get lost with everything else going on..........

They were trying to recreate this moment

obama_sit_room_01.jpg

and failed miserably.

Like you said, it is just one lie in hundreds. It will just be ignored by SHS, or else she will blame the media for fixating on "one small error". I can hear her awful voice say those words in my head as I type this..

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »

They were trying to recreate this moment

obama_sit_room_01.jpg

and failed miserably.

Like you said, it is just one lie in hundreds. It will just be ignored by SHS, or else she will blame the media for fixating on "one small error". I can hear her awful voice say those words in my head as I type this..
    It was suppose to be him being briefed on Syria so that fact it's a fake means he wasn't briefed at all, or the briefing didn't have the people it should have hence the need to use an old picture!

It was suppose to be him being briefed on Syria so that fact it's a fake means he wasn't briefed at all, or the briefing didn't have the people it should have hence the need to use an old picture!
    It's a totally needless lie - but that seems to be the m.o. of Sanders since the start.

It's a totally needless lie - but that seems to be the m.o. of Sanders since the start.
    That's the bit I don't really understand. As you said a needless lie, so are they so incompetent that no one realised that Pence shouldn't have been there or so stupid that they didn't think anyone would notice. Why show the picture at all, unless as everlast mentioned above it was to try and 'keep up with the Jones'....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

She's already come back about it
    White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders defended a Saturday night tweet from her official account, saying the message, which contained an official photo of President Donald Trump and his team being "briefed" on Syria, is not misleading.

"It’s from Thursday meeting when he was briefed on Syria," Sanders said in an email to POLITICO. "So no, not misleading at all."

Random photo used to show DJT "hard at work" when he probably wasn't isn't misleading at all folks..nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I really can't understand the thinking behind the SHS tweet and the Trump 'Mission Accomplished' one.

I mean, you can pass off the Trump one as him being ignorant to the meaning of that in terms of the ME, but surely SHS is simply being lazy. I mean, they would have probably taken a picture on the day, or why not simply say what the picture actually was, that wouldn't lessen the message?

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I really can't understand the thinking behind the SHS tweet and the Trump 'Mission Accomplished' one.

I mean, you can pass off the Trump one as him being ignorant to the meaning of that in terms of the ME, but surely SHS is simply being lazy.  I mean, they would have probably taken a picture on the day, or why not simply say what the picture actually was, that wouldn't lessen the message?
    Incompetence or stupidity are the only two reasons I can think of.

Leroy42 wrote: »

I mean, you can pass off the Trump one as him being ignorant to the meaning of that in terms of the ME, but surely SHS is simply being lazy. I mean, they would have probably taken a picture on the day, or why not simply say what the picture actually was, that wouldn't lessen the message?

She has nothing but utter contempt for the press during her briefings. She is not even trying anymore to be honest. She is belligerent and in my opinion, a despicable human being.

It has, to a degree, shown that the whole WH press briefings are just a talking shop. There is nothing of value in it. If she says something and the press later challenge her on it, she denies it and blames the "biased media". It is then just filed under "another blatant lie by the White House", amongst all the other hundreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah in fairness once I read her tweet I realised how easy it would be to say it was a briefing on Syria before Pence left for Peru. I don't think anyone believes it was, but it's very easy for her to clarify it rather than say it was a lie. At least far easier than when Pence tweeted about the NFL game he was at and left because they weren't all standing for the Anthem even though the photo he tweeted was about 2 years old.

I suppose I see it as an example of how they cant even get the 'right things' (I believe the attack on Syria was the correct thing to do) right and seem to make a mess, one way or another, of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It was doing the rounds over the weekend. As has been said, the photo was described as a briefing on Syria with Pence in the room when he wasn't in the country. The easy way out, and simplest explanation, was that it was taken before he went. Others have said that the photo wasn't even taken in the situation room.

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/985329759759601665?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I suppose I see it as an example of how they cant even get the 'right things' (I believe the attack on Syria was the correct thing to do) right and seem to make a mess, one way or another, of everything.

Yes, it is very worrying that they appear to have such little attention to detail. They have given out many press briefings/press releases with typos, name spelt wrong etc. Trump has mispronounced a number of things.

Whatever about him not being a details person, surely you surround yourself with people that are? But even the recent Stormy Daniels payment and how that was uncovered (Cohen signing his own name) showed they really don't care.

But these things do matter when you are working at such a high level. A comma in the wrong place on the tax code can cost millions for eg. Not paying attention is usually a sign that they aren't interested enough to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Incompetence or stupidity are the only two reasons I can think of.

Add in some corruption, break a few laws and it'd be a typical day at the White House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Maybe Pence has the gift of St Martin De Porres of Peru. He could be in two locations at the one time.

So, he is awake and Tweeting. Surprisingly restrained re Comey. Just the one so far

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/985856662866202624

McCabe's lawyer already tweeted a week ago that he was using DJT's tweets as evidence of an upcoming legal case against the Administration. I am sure he is delighted Comey released his book.

Also, a bit of foot in mouth here by KAC.. So is it her view Comey got Trump elected then?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/kellyanne-conway-slams-comey-guy-swung-election/story?id=54496661

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

"Disgruntled, he, McCabe, and the others, committed many crimes!" ???

Has he joined a book club or is this an example of Shakespeare's monkey?

Not sure about the comma after "McCabe" , though(or "others"?).

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »
    "Disgruntled, he, McCabe, and the others, committed many crimes!" ???

Has he joined a book club or is this an example of Shakespeare's monkey?

Not sure about the comma after "McCabe" , though(or "others"?).

when he issues a tweet like that, you know he typed it out and not one of his advisers*

*handlers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump
    Comey drafted the Crooked Hillary exoneration long before he talked to her (lied in Congress to Senator G), then based his decisions on her poll numbers. Disgruntled, he, McCabe, and the others, committed many crimes!

Surely that's libellous at this stage?

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump
    Comey drafted the Crooked Hillary exoneration long before he talked to her (lied in Congress to Senator G), then based his decisions on her poll numbers. Disgruntled, he, McCabe, and the others, committed many crimes!

Surely that's libellous at this stage?
    Be interesting to see if any of these people take him to court once he is out of office. Will be a long list already.

Be interesting to see if any of these people take him to court once he is out of office. Will be a long list already.

I wonder if he will be able to find a lawyer to represent him. He's having enough trouble getting one now.

I wonder if he will be able to find a lawyer to represent him. He's having enough trouble getting one now.
    I think he needs one to misrepresent him.(shouldn't be hard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Needs a lawyer who'll plead, diminished responsibility.

Water John wrote: »
    Will diminished accountability do?

Water John wrote: »
    His current lawyer's predicament is that he may have acted on behalf of his client without clear instructions (i.e. the Stormy Daniels NDA); Trump would never agree to a diminished responsibility plea (and from the statements by Comey last night, they're going to allege that he knew/knows full well what he's doing).

I'm going to love his impeachment trial.

DJT cannot face criminal charges whilst in office. He can be sued in a Civil capacity. McCabe's case would be a civil matter so no need to wait until DJT is out of office.

The Washington Post has reported McCabe is contemplating an action. I mentioned it above.

However, the report on his testimony did indicate he lied under oath, so I don't know what way the case would go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

IMO, if anyone thinks Comey’s book Higher Loyalty and his rounds on the TV shows will bring down Trump… the reports of Trump's political death continue to be greatly exaggerated.  Comey’s book and appearances are lacking one crucial bit of evidence… actual wrongdoing by Trump.  Comey has proven to be petty and political and loyal to only one thing... Jim Comey.  If anyone belongs in jail it’s Comey and McCabe.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement