Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

A minefield of his own making or is it the Deep State.

Only thing happening here are Cohen, Trump's chickens hopefully coming home to roost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

notobtuse wrote: »
    Don't know if it is exactly what you are looking for, but it does explain what I was trying to get across.
    https://lawandcrime.com/legal-analysis/sean-hannity-protected-attorney-client-privilege-michael-cohen/

Hannity probably isn't the best example in that i don't believe anyone is suggesting he is/has a connection with Cohen in terms of a crime.

Where the issue appears to be is whether a client's communication to his attorney isn't privileged if he made it with the intention of committing or covering up a crime, and the focus is obviously Trump getting Cohen to commit an Election Campaign finance crime by paying off Daniels.

Just my experience with the NY court system.

https://nypost.com/2017/06/07/how-the-politically-connected-control-the-new-york-court-system/

In my opinion, in this case, Judge Wood is highly qualified and highly respected.  I just feel she is playing dumb to what will most probably happen because of the political system that seems to control the NY courts... and that controlling political system is the Democrats.  Just a fair fight is all Cohen is asking for... and seemingly won't get it, IMO.

I doubt that's all he's asking for ! Cohen's idea of fair clearly doesn't include due process ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If NY justice was so leaning, why did DT choose to live there?

SScope wrote: »
    A minefield of his own making or is it the Deep State.

Only thing happening here are Cohen, Trump's chickens hopefully coming home to roost.

Yes absolutely. Let's not forget that if he followed the laws of the land, he has nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »

As Bernie Madoff found out, when NY justice catches up with you, it is swift and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Mumha wrote: »

https://nypost.com/2017/06/07/how-the-politically-connected-control-the-new-york-court-system/

In my opinion, in this case, Judge Wood is highly qualified and highly respected.  I just feel she is playing dumb to what will most probably happen because of the political system that seems to control the NY courts... and that controlling political system is the Democrats.  Just a fair fight is all Cohen is asking for... and seemingly won't get it, IMO.

I doubt that's all he's asking for ! Cohen's idea of fair clearly doesn't include due process ;)
    My understanding is Cohen asked Judge Wood to appoint a special master to parse through the documents recovered during the raid before NY investigators can go through them.

Why?  What have you heard?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Trump was a Democrat most of that time.  ;)

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

4/16: It's reported - Trump puts the brakes on new Russian sanctions, reversing Haley’s announcement:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-puts-the-brake-on-new-russian-sanctions-reversing-haleys-announcement/2018/04/16/ac3ad4f8-417f-11e8-8569-26fda6b404c7_story.html?utm_term=.3750c8b0e219

4/16: At 1:25pm it's reported - Russia is sponsoring cyberattacks in U.S. homes and businesses, U.S. and U.K. officials warn in which Rob Joyce makes a statement:

"“We are pushing back and we’re pushing back hard,” said Rob Joyce, White House special assistant to the president and cybersecurity director."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/04/16/russia-sponsoring-cyberattacks-u-s-homes-and-businesses-u-s-and-u-k-officials-warn/520981002/

4/16: At 4:19pm it's reported - Top cyber official to leave White House (ROB JOYCE)

"Joyce’s departure will leave a void in one of the top cybersecurity roles in the administration. Joyce was among top U.S. and British officials who earlier Monday blamed Russian-backed hackers for conducting cyberattacks on internet infrastructure across the globe in an apparent spy campaign targeting government, critical infrastructure and private businesses.

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/383412-top-cyber-official-to-leave-white-house

Well aware that Trump was a Democrat for a large part of his life. Good reason why GOP should see him for the fraud that he is. GOP is a flag of convenience, for him.

• Advertisement

My understanding is Cohen asked Judge Wood to appoint a special master to parse through the documents recovered during the raid before NY investigators can go through them.

I was referring to Cohen's reputation as a thug !

From what numerous former DAs have said that Cohen is actually getting more than is normally given. Normally the taint team sorts through what has been recovered and decides, but here a copy is being given to both Cohen's lawyers and the taint team, and any dispute as to privilege goes before Judge Wood, who in effect is acting as special master.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What experience of the NY court system is that ?

There seems to be alot do experience of whatever topic is at hand when it comes up conviently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The image of someone going though documents brings up the case of president Nixon's suggestion when asked to hand over the watergate tapes. He suggested given them to a notoriously stone deaf congressman for him to listen to them and make his transcripts and present them to the committee.

Well aware that Trump was a Democrat for a large part of his life. Good reason why GOP should see him for the fraud that he is. GOP is a flag of convenience, for him.
    Good point.  Luckily he IS governing as a conservative in his role as POTUS, IMO.

He's All yours now ! ;)

listermint wrote: »

What experience of the NY court system is that ?

There seems to be alot do experience of whatever topic is at hand when it comes up conviently
    We've been sued by a NY company, and contemplated suing a NY company but dropped it because the other company had more political connections in NY and deeper pockets.

He's All yours now ! ;)
    LOL!  Good one.  :D

I was referring to Cohen's reputation as a thug !

From what numerous former DAs have said that Cohen is actually getting more than is normally given. Normally the taint team sorts through what has been recovered and decides, but here a copy is being given to both Cohen's lawyers and the taint team, and any dispute as to privilege goes before Judge Wood, who in effect is acting as special master.
    I thought the judge ordered that the investigative team gets to look at EVERYTHING first, then Cohen can look at it.  And if that is the case... let the leaks begin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Absolutely false.

Trump comes from a Republican family. He was a registered Republican from 1987 to 1999. In 1999 Trump changed his party affiliation to the Independence Party of New York. In August 2001, Trump changed his party affiliation to Democratic. and then returned to the Republican party in 2009. He has lived in New York throughout his entire life.

Absolutely false.

Trump comes from a Republican family. He was a registered Republican from 1987 to 1999. In 1999 Trump changed his party affiliation to the Independence Party of New York. In August 2001, Trump changed his party affiliation to Democratic. and then returned to the Republican party in 2009. He has lived in New York throughout his entire life.
    Actually Trump was a Democratic when he first registered until 1987, and again from 2001–2009.  He was a Republican from 1987–1999, 2009–2011, and from 2012 to present.  He was also registered in the Reform party from 1999–2001, and an Independent from 2011–2012.

• Advertisement

Actually Trump was a Democratic when he first registered until 1987

Source/link for that claim? I have found no evidence of Trump being a registered anything prior to 1987.
    , and again from 2001–2009.  He was a Republican from 1987–1999, 2009–2011, and from 2012 to present.  He was also registered in the Reform party from 1999–2001, and an Independent from 2011–2012.

I noted those, incidences, aside from the 2011 to 2012, when he was not a Democrat in any case.

Regardless it is clear that Trump was not 'a registered democrat' for most of the time he lived in New York, your original claim. Which as I stated is absolutely and verifiably false.

Absolutely false.

In truth Trump is an empty vessel, and would move to wherever worked in his own interests.

In truth Trump is an empty vessel, and would move to wherever worked in his own interests.

Largely agree.

I find it amusing that our own whataboutery factory is now trying to claim Trump is really a Democrat. It is almost like said poster has no real position and simply wants to confuse and agitate.:cool:

I think, the main point trying to be got across, is that Trump, Cohen et al wont get justice in a NY Court. But they sidetacked them selves, along the way.
    There must be a lack of signposts, because of this, turn of events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Largely agree.

I find it amusing that our own whataboutery factory is now trying to claim Trump is really a Democrat. It is almost like said poster has no real position and simply wants to confuse and agitate.:cool:

Whisky being a full time republican , tea party member and in-depth knowledge of the judicial system in the state of New york.

Actually Trump was a Democratic when he first registered until 1987

Source/link for that claim? I have found no evidence of Trump being a registered anything prior to 1987.
    , and again from 2001–2009.  He was a Republican from 1987–1999, 2009–2011, and from 2012 to present.  He was also registered in the Reform party from 1999–2001, and an Independent from 2011–2012.

I noted those, incidences, aside from the 2011 to 2012, when he was not a Democrat in any case.

Regardless it is clear that Trump was not 'a registered democrat' for most of the time he lived in New York, your original claim. Which as I stated is absolutely and verifiably false.
    Source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump

It notes Trump was a Democrat until 1987.  Trump was born in 1946, and he was 41 years old in 1987.  If he registered to vote when he was 21, that's 20 years a Democrat the first go-round.

I don't care. The dangerous clown is now POTUS. That's my main concern. His buddy, took on Stormy and made a grave error of judgement, in doing so.
    I much prefer her as POTUS. Not for obvious reasons, but I think she'd make a damned good job of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Sympathy for Cohen and Trump? Are you kidding me?

They got a very fair crack of the whip before the judge.
    They are not short on money.
    It looks like they will get their judicial intermediary.

They stand a better chance than most before the Courts and the idea that they won't is farcical.

Its like the election all over again. Before the vote it was "the election is rigged.. crooked hillary blah blah blah" so that when they lost, they could bitch and whine about the rigged system. Funny - after the election they are now insisting the system wasn't rigged.

Poor Trump.. poor adulterous Trump, poor poor multi-millionaire President of the United States Trump who appointed the Attorney General, Assistant Attorney General.

Source:

It notes Trump was a Democrat until 1987.  Trump was born in 1946, and he was 41 years old in 1987.  If he registered to vote when he was 21, that's 20 years a Democrat the first go-round.

First of all... wikipedia. Secondly, the only reference to him being a registered Democrat prior to 1987 is the line 'Trump was a Democrat prior to 1987;' the reference to which does not work when clicked. No source reports that he was a registered Democrat, or anything for that matter, prior to 1987 at which point he registered as a Republican.

In other words your claim is nonsense.

• Advertisement

Source:

First of all... wikipedia. Secondly, the only reference to him being a registered Democrat prior to 1987 is the line 'Trump was a Democrat prior to 1987;' the reference to which does not work when clicked. No source reports that he was a registered Democrat, or anything for that matter, prior to 1987 at which point he registered as a Republican.

In other words your claim is nonsense.
    If Trump didn't register to vote until he was 41, then I guess you are correct.  But that's hard to believe.  Most of us who care about how the government works register to vote when we fist can.  For me that was 18.  The voting age was lowered to 18 from 21 in 1971.  If Trump registered to vote when he first could that would be at age 21.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement