Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

You think Trump cares about how government works?

He's in the job and hasn't a clue. It's the Donald Trump show, government and the job itself are meaningless to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

notobtuse wrote: »
    If Trump didn't register to vote until he was 41, then I guess you are correct.  But that's hard to believe.  Most of us who care about how the government works register to vote when we fist can.  For me that was 18.  The voting age was lowered to 18 from 21 in 1971.  If Trump registered to vote when he first could that would be at age 21.

There is no remotely credible source that claims Trump was a registered anything prior to his registration in 1987 as a Republican. What you did or claim to have done is beyond irrelevant. Your claim was false, your subsequent attempt to back it up is transparently weak.

Everything you say, and every claim of experience you make ought now to be considered in light of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Yes, there should be sympathy for Trump.  The Inspector General of the Department of Justice, Michael Horowitz just issued report on Andrew McCabe, the disgraced former deputy director of the FBI regarding his part in the 2016 election.

https://static01.nyt.com/files/2018/us/politics/20180413a-doj-oig-mccabe-report.pdf

Bottom line… Andrew McCabe leaked information to the media about an ongoing investigation because he wanted to help Hillary Clinton and harm Donald Trump. He then lied repeatedly about his behavior both under oath and in unsworn conversation with superiors.

He should be prosecuted.

Horowitz will be following up with reports on other FBI partisan activities in the 2016 presidential election.  Maybe even collusion with the State Department, mishandling of the Clinton email investigation, pay-to-play at the Clinton Foundation, and who knows what else?

I’m predicting this might turn out to be the largest political scandal in US. History.  Think about it… A concerted effort by operatives in the Department of Justice, the FBI, and other intelligence agencies to influence the course of a presidential election and then, when that didn’t work... to sabotage the people’s choice.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yes, there should be sympathy for Trump.  The Inspector General of the Department of Justice, Michael Horowitz just issued report on Andrew McCabe, the disgraced former deputy director of the FBI regarding his part in the 2016 election.

https://static01.nyt.com/files/2018/us/politics/20180413a-doj-oig-mccabe-report.pdf

Bottom line… Andrew McCabe leaked information to the media about an ongoing investigation because he wanted to help Hillary Clinton and harm Donald Trump. He then lied repeatedly about his behavior both under oath and in unsworn conversation with superiors.

He should be prosecuted.

Horowitz will be following up with reports on other FBI partisan activities in the 2016 presidential election.  Maybe even collusion with the State Department, mishandling of the Clinton email investigation, pay-to-play at the Clinton Foundation, and who knows what else?

I’m predicting this might turn out to be the largest political scandal in US. History.  Think about it… A concerted effort by operatives in the Department of Justice, the FBI, and other intelligence agencies to influence the course of a presidential election and then, when that didn’t work... to sabotage the people’s choice.

Christ on a bike. The FBI got Trump elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

He should be prosecuted.

From the fake news, failing New York Times? Who would believe that?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

He should be prosecuted.

Hahahaha, good one ! That's genuinely funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The Washington Post is running two stories, 1st is a behind the scenes story that Mike Pompeo, Dir CIA, flew to N/Korea over Easter W/end for sceret meeting with Kim as part of effort for a meeting between Don and Kim about N/K's nuclear weapons programme, the 2nd is that Justice Gorsuch is joining with SC liberal justices in declaring that part of the Admin's immigration law is too vague and that might limt the Admin's plan to deport those with criminal records.

The 1st is good news that Don [presumably] allowed Mike take a "Henry Kissinger has a cold" weekend trip paving the way to talks. the 2nd: I can't see Don being happy with Neil & the liberal justices, that he can't throw out the bad hombres.

I'm outside the WaPo paywall so any links I could copy & paste here wouldn't work.

Edit: I can't help but feel that there is a connection between the trip and Kim's recent train visit to China, and that some-one [maybe even Don himself] used Don's tweeting on issues [esp Mueller] to distract attention. I reckon that China and the Admin have been in talks about a meeting since the Kim V Don quietness blanket came down. The very recent sanctions tweeting on China by Don, esp the seeming flip-flopping, may have been a cover to hide the actual diplomatic-friendly sitiuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

RIP Barbara Bush.... It's probably too soon to mention this in relation to the lady's funeral but I'm expecting there to be a chance that Don will be on the invite list for protocol reasons. It might be a chance for Don & the GOP leadership to talk about their differences face to face, maybe arrange future meetings behind the scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

aloyisious wrote: »
    RIP Barbara Bush.... It's probably too soon to mention this in relation to the lady's funeral but I'm expecting there to be a chance that Don will be on the invite list for protocol reasons. It might be a chance for Don & the GOP leadership to talk about their differences face to face, maybe arrange future meetings behind the scenes.
    The White House (with a Republican President) and the Congressional Republican leadership would normally be in touch multiple times at multiple levels every day. They don't have to wait to run into one another at a funeral in Texas to arrange any level of contact that they might want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

First of all... wikipedia.

Wikipedia is actually quite reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

aloyisious wrote: »
    Unless it's a "quiet family funeral" then I'd expect all former presidents and first ladies would be in attendance as well as the current one. It's only one step down from the funeral of the head of state level event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

robinph wrote: »
    Unless it's a "quiet family funeral" then I'd expect all former presidents and first ladies would be in attendance as well as the current one. It's only one step down from the funeral of the head of state level event

I recall Barbara Bush having some choice words about Trump two years ago. She was disgusted by his comments about Megyn Kelly: "I don't know how women can vote for someone who said what he said". Im sure she'd be thrilled by the prospect of him attending her funeral.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man that feels like a long, long time ago. Must feel double that for US citizens stuck with that administration. So insane to think that Trump talking about Kelly "bleeding out of her whatever" wasn't the scummiest thing he'd come out with during that campaign either. You wouldn't get that talk even in the comments section of thejournal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

He should be prosecuted.
    If you are going to call for someone to be prosecuted based on a report, you should at least have the decency to read it first. What you've said in bold is complete nonsense and absolutely not what the report says. If anything, it's the complete opposite, the leak would have harmed Clinton as it revealed the existence of the investigation into the Clinton Foundation, which wasn't publicly known about at the time.

Of course that wouldn't fit the 'MAGA DEEP STATE CONSPIRE AGAINST TRUMP' nonsense narrative though so it'll be ignored.

That's the thing - how much worse is it going to get over the next 2-3 years? We can all look forward to the mid-terms with hope but the chances are, Trump will still finish out his term.

I've wondered for a while if comments like the Megyn Kelly thing, and the worse stuff that came later ("Grab em' by the...", impression of Serge Kovaleski, his defaming of the Kahns) have actually been something of a scandal vaccine for Trump - each new scandal is like a booster shot, making his base ever more immune, and the rest of the world ever more numb to further outrages.

jooksavage wrote: »
    That's the thing - how much worse is it going to get over the next 2-3 years? We can all look forward to the mid-terms with hope but the chances are, Trump will still finish out his term.

I've wondered for a while if comments like the Megyn Kelly thing, and the worse stuff that came later ("Grab em' by the...", impression of Serge Kovaleski, his defaming of the Kahns) have actually been something of a scandal vaccine for Trump - each new scandal is like a booster shot, making his base ever more immune, and the rest of the world ever more numb to further outrages.
    Siege mentality. As I keep saying, he only needs about 30% of the population to vote for him to keep him in. If the economy stays good that'll add some don't-rock-the-boat votes (especially around the lakes) and he has a clear path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Blowfish wrote: »
    If you are going to call for someone to be prosecuted based on a report, you should at least have the decency to read it first. What you've said in bold is complete nonsense and absolutely not what the report says. If anything, it's the complete opposite, the leak would have harmed Clinton as it revealed the existence of the investigation into the Clinton Foundation, which wasn't publicly known about at the time.

Of course that wouldn't fit the 'MAGA DEEP STATE CONSPIRE AGAINST TRUMP' nonsense narrative though so it'll be ignored.

Yes, that was my reading of the report as well. There is no doubt that McCabe is in big trouble but from the report (or at least my reading of it) it seems that he released info detrimental to HC (whether it actually had a negative impact is harder to judge but it was not meant as a positive).

Also, we need to recall that Trump is very much in favour of leaks. HE asked the Russians to hack into and leak the 33k HC e-mails. He called Wikileaks "amazing" during the campaign.

So, it is hard to imagine that Trump fired McCabe over these leaks, since he was originally in favour of them. It gives him a convenient cover but it doesn't make sense. McCabe must feel pretty hard done by that he fought so hard to get Trump elected (or at least not HC) and then get fired soon after.

But to claim that this report gives any credibility to Trump or the claims that there is a deep state conspiracy against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yes, that was my reading of the report as well. There is no doubt that McCabe is in big trouble but from the report (or at least my reading of it) it seems that he released info detrimental to HC (whether it actually had a negative impact is harder to judge but it was not meant as a positive).

Also, we need to recall that Trump is very much in favour of leaks. HE asked the Russians to hack into and leak the 33k HC e-mails. He called Wikileaks "amazing" during the campaign.

So, it is hard to imagine that Trump fired McCabe over these leaks, since he was originally in favour of them. It gives him a convenient cover but it doesn't make sense. McCabe must feel pretty hard done by that he fought so hard to get Trump elected (or at least not HC) and then get fired soon after.

But to claim that this report gives any credibility to Trump or the claims that there is a deep state conspiracy against him.

Very good point re hypocrisy of Trump abd criticism of leaks.

Btw there is an excellent podcast this week on Trumpcast regarding Cohen and Mueller's strategy with Trump

everlast75 wrote: »
    Btw there is an excellent podcast this week on Trumpcast regarding Cohen and Mueller's strategy with Trump

I just heard the latest one - Tim O'Brien (yes that Tim O'Brien) was downplaying the importance of the Cohen raid, basically saying MC wasnt really involved in the day-to-day stuff in the Trump orgsnisation and that Trump himself might not be that exposed.

He did point out a few areas though where he thinks Trump is in real danger. One of those is NY DA Eric Schneidermans often forgotten investigation into Manafort. Even if Trump pardons Manafort on the federal charges, theres SFA he can do to help him out on state charges. And although President Trump cant be charged by state prosecutors, those charges could be waiting for him when he completes his term.

Also he's certain Trump will try to fire Mueller but says its too late as Meuller has been sharing information through cooperation agreements with state prosecutors offices so the investigation is never going away, even if Meuller is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Absolutely no doubt, Mueller has taken out, 'insurance'.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »

As O'Brien puts it, Mueller is playing 3D chess. The Trump team are playing bingo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

jooksavage wrote: »
    As O'Brien puts it, Mueller is playing 3D chess. The Trump team are playing bingo.
    Is it just an impression or is Mueller really scary and competent in a way that Comey wasn't?

Is it just that we never hear from him and just see his moves?

Did Trump back down from a face to face interview with him(because he was terrified**)?

*I think he would intimidate me even if I had nothing to hide.

I think that the thing that his really unsettling Trump is that Mueller seems to be doing this out a sense of doing his job. He doesn't seem to be concerned with publicity, doesn't seem to take the bait that Trump and others have thrown at him, and doesn't seem to react to events. He just continues on, relentless almost. He continues to surprise with ech announcement and continues to show that despite the constant refrain that the investigation is nearly over, every few weeks/months a totally new aspect comes out.

Trump has no idea how to handle him. He can't pay him off, he can't intimidate him. He doesn't appear to have any issues to drag him down. The fact that Trump is calling him out over his conflict of interest (apparently he is a closest DNC!) shows how little Trump has to attack him with.

So I don't know if he is scared/intimidate or what, I really think that Trump has not comes across this type of person before. Even dealing with DA's etc, they have a political career to think off, Mueller has none of that. It would appear, at least from this remove, that Mueller is actually driven by a sense of right and wrong (in terms of procedure) rather than money or prestige and Trump simply cannot understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

amandstu wrote: »
    Did Trump back down from a face to face interview with him(because he was terrified**)?

*I think he would intimidate me even if I had nothing to hide.

I don't think trump can be intimidated in that way like a normal person, he's too much of a sociopath and a narcissist. If he does feel fear he doesn't understand it and probably rationalises it into being some kind of unfair attack on him.

I think his team and lawyers somehow made him understand how screwed he would be by a Mueller interview as after 1 minute of talking he would go off on a tangent and lie about something without realising it as he truly believes whatever he says is true and Mueller would have him dead to rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Finally - Trump has tweeted regarding Ms. Clifford's case!

Avenatti is playing a storm(y). Has Trump walked himself into a civil case, which can be taken while he is sitting. Avenatti says he has..

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/986553722846285824?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

everlast75 wrote: »
    Finally - Trump has tweeted regarding Ms. Clifford's case!

Avenatti is playing a storm(y). Has Trump walked himself into a civil case, which can be taken while he is sitting. Avenatti says he has..

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/986553722846285824?s=19

Here's Trump's tweet.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/986547093610299392

There are a lot of rumblings that this is a member of Trump's security.

From seeing what Avenatti has been doing, I wouldn't be surprised if they already knew who this person was before the sketch.

Here's Trump's tweet.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/986547093610299392

There are a lot of rumblings that this is a member of Trump's security.

From seeing what Avenatti has been doing, I wouldn't be surprised if they already knew who this person was before the sketch.
    But it could (also or just ) be psyops.

Works for ratings anyway:)

Hmm photo is interesting

It does look really similar, but then young white man is hardly difficult to find a resemblance.

I di think it is odd that a POTUS would be using his communication to the American people (and the world) to defend a lawyer on a charge to which he knows nothing about. He has stated he knew nothing of the payment and the affair never happened, so he can't really then claim that he knows that this never happened as he knew nothing about it.

As Cohen lawyer has said, just because it wasn't true doesn't mean it can't be damaging, so even if the affair never happened, Cohen felt it necessary to pay off Stormy so knew the potential damage. As Trump never knew about that how can he be so sure that Cohen didn't go further?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    As Trump never knew about that how can he be so sure that Cohen didn't go further?

Seems a good point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Water John wrote: »

I would guess all the evidence is there. Mueller would be wise to make sure it has been shared and even leaked if things go pear shaped for him. I have said before it is truly bizarre that an individual being investigated can contol or stop any such investigations. The Americans really need to look at the power vested in POTUS, especially when he turns out to be bad and dangerous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement