Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Hurrache wrote: »
    Sure look at one of his tweets from yesterday. Most normal people would say I was out playing golf with my buddy, but Trump takes every opportunity to pimp his own name and businesses

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/986711015630036992

Trump does not look fit enough to do a round of golf, compared to his Japanese counterpart. Just another publicity advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

notobtuse wrote: »
    Other disabled people... No.  But I do get aggravated with some who have handicapped cards on their rear view windows, with no visible signs of a disability who take up the special parking spots, leaving people with walking disabilities no place to park that are handy.  But this is getting away from the topic so I'll stop with this.

No, we're on topic. So are you happy with this performance by The Donald?

Here is a picture of the reporter he was talking about.
    I remember that incident.  Trump was making the gesture of a deranged person.  He didn't know the guy was disabled.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

everlast75 wrote: »
    Other disabled people... No.  But I do get aggravated with some who have handicapped cards on their rear view windows, with no visible signs of a disability who take up the special parking spots, leaving people with walking disabilities no place to park that are handy.  But this is getting away from the topic so I'll stop with this.

So, after all he has done... what WOULD it take for you to say he was an awful president.

Be honest
    Turn liberal.  Just being honest.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I remember that incident.  Trump was making the gesture of a deranged person.  He didn't know the guy was disabled.

That's not true at all.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    But I do get aggravated with some who have handicapped cards on their rear view windows, with no visible signs of a disability who take up the special parking spots, leaving people with walking disabilities no place to park that are handy.

So you feel qualified to judge whether or not people are sufficiently disabled to deserve a parking permit based on nothing more than a brief visual observation.

I'm afraid I find that all too believable, consider your unceasing torrent of "I don't need facts, I have strongly-held uninformed opinions!" on this thread.

Unfortunately, people with "invisible" disabilities have to put up with dickishness similar to what you've cheerfully espoused above all the time. But then, if you're OK with a presidential candidate mocking a disabled person, we shouldn't really be surprised when you're not ashamed of being a dick towards disabled people yourself.
    Now who is making judgements based on a simple observation?  I said I get aggravated.  I never said I actually do anything about it.  I’ve never approached or said anything to anybody whom I’ve observed.  My thoughts are simply that… thoughts.  Hasn’t everyone jumped to conclusions base on simple observations?  If anybody says ‘no’ I think they are kidding themselves.  It is all too easy here in the states to get a handicapped placecard.  Doctors hand them out like candy.  I could easily get one, but I choose not to because I am still pretty mobile and would rather have those parking spots available for people who really need them.  I know several people, including people in my family, who have them but don’t really deserve handicapped placecards.  I think just about everyone here will tell you the same thing.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Free speech must be protected, even speech that is offensive.  Do I think he has said some things that are offensive in private, sure.  I think everyone has.  I don't like people that put things out into the media and refuse to give their names behind it.  They're cowards in my book. 

People have affairs.  Did he have an affair in private office or while POTUS?  Other presidents did while in office.  So why is Trump the devil for it?

A lot of people here think Planned Parenthood should not be funded by government money.

I've been called deplorable with no redeeming qualities.  So what!  I'm not going to cry over it.

And the spending bill is terrible and I blame him for not vetoing it.  Happy?

Sure freedom of speech is a thing but it does not mean you have to be considered a good person. I see no reason to arrest Trump over his Mexican immigrants are rapists remarks but it also makes him a complete and utter piece of scum in my book. Scummy people should not be president in my view. Seems reasonable. Nowhere in freedom of speech does it say I have to consider the speaker a good person and so it is not relevant here.

The affair, I care less about. Certainly it makes him a bad human being but it is less dangerous than encouraging negative views of part of the population. It will be absolutely hilarious when the evangelists turn around and start shouting that the next democrat candidate is not god fearing enough or whatever.
    I thought Barack Obama was a scummy person.  He was little more than a slimy Chicago politician.  I'm sure you would disagree and feel he was a good president.  I guess it's all a matter of perception.  IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its very heartening to hear about your deep interest in the wellbeing of the disabled, particularly their need for parking adjacent to the shops.

However, this is somewhat undone by your clear preference for a man that wants to do away with healthcare for many, including the disabled.

I thought Barack Obama was a scummy person.  He was little more than a slimy Chicago politician.  I'm sure you would disagree and feel he was a good president.  I guess it's all a matter of perception.  IMO.

Just placing IMO at the end of everything isn't a get out of jail card, particularly when there are actual facts available on which to judge something.

Since Obama has completed his two terms, it is possible to review his performance and judge based on actual outcomes rather than simply perceptions.

So what, in particular, makes Obama a scummy person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Just placing IMO at the end of everything isn't a get out of jail card, particularly when there are actual facts available on which to judge something.

Since Obama has completed his two terms, it is possible to review his performance and judge based on actual outcomes rather than simply perceptions.

So what, in particular, makes Obama a scummy person?

He's a Democrat (and black).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well you can judge O'Bama by his actions and peoples general perception of him. When you measure that, against what this poster might be saying, you can form a reliable opinion, of said poster.

• Advertisement

Be a democrat can be the only answer at this stage from him.

And black.
    Honestly, there is no point in discussing this with a Trump supporter.
    A Trump supporter will always be a Trump supporter, as the man himself said, he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and his followers would only dig in deeper and become more rabid.
    They will follow Trump no matter what.
    Trump could destroy their jobs, social welfare, healthcare, the country, the rest of the world, they would wave their arms, stomp their feet and they would whoop and holler for it.
    And they would blame Obama or Hillary for it.
    The only thing Trump could do to lose them is fight for equality (for women AND black people, yikes!), become an environmentalist and tolerant of other beliefs. You know, become a decent human being.
    They elected Trump because he is a slime ball and a cnut. And the more he is exactly that, the more they will follow him to the inevitable outcome of America sliding into self destruction. They will scream and cheer as the Titanic slips beneath the waves.
    This is a disgusting comment.  You shouldn’t be worth any of my time or effort, but…

I am taking in a high school junior into my household.  She is part black and it doesn’t matter one bit to us.  Her mother has a drug addiction problem and a terminal brain tumor and her time on this earth looks to be short.  They will be evicted from their residence within a month.  The mother will be going into a homeless shelter and the girl will either join her, be on the streets, or have to go shortly into foster care.  And she will age out of foster care in less than half a year.  She is a friend of my daughter and a wonderful girl who gets straight A-grades in school.  We don’t want any money to take her in.  We just can’t let her go through foster care or go homeless.  We will provide for her, and give her a loving and caring home.  She said it will be possibly for two years that she needs a home.  We said it doesn’t matter and our home will be her home for as long as she wants and as long as she abides by our rules.

What good have YOU done recently?

Why do you call Obama scummy? I mean I totally get if you disagree with his policies, don't like the way he handled certain matters, but scummy is a particular insult beyond simply a disagreement on ideologies.

ON what basis do you call him that?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why do you call Obama scummy?  I mean I totally get if you disagree with his policies, don't like the way he handled certain matters, but scummy is a particular insult beyond simply a disagreement on ideologies.

ON what basis do you call him that?
    Here’s a couple of things… The Obama administration was full of scandal because he perverted the machinery of the state for political ends.  He illegally used the IRS target and other federal agencies from the BATF to the NLRB to target and harass his political enemies. Under the disguise of developing “green” energy projects he directed taxpayer money to his politically connected cronies. And the Obama administration used his Department of Justice to spy on private citizens he didn’t like and his attorney general, Eric Holder, left office while being held in contempt of Congress for inhibiting the investigation of other Obama administration scandals.    Those are some of the reasons I found Obama to be a shady and slimy president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wait, one sec, let me get this straight. A president you much admire and defend cannot tell when a person has an obvious disability? Why do you trust any other decision he makes? Plus I'm pretty sure he was made aware of it after the first time he was a dick about it, and yet her persisted.

What's the morning like over there in the states today?

Wait, one sec, let me get this straight. A president you much admire and defend cannot tell when a person has an obvious disability? Why do you trust any other decision he makes?

What's the morning like over there in the states today?
    He was going off the comments of the reporter, as I recall.  You can't tell from written word that the writer has a disability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Here’s a couple of things… The Obama administration was full of scandal because he perverted the machinery of the state for political ends.  He illegally used the IRS target and other federal agencies from the BATF to the NLRB to target and harass his political enemies. Under the disguise of developing “green” energy projects he directed taxpayer money to his politically connected cronies. And the Obama administration used his Department of Justice to spy on private citizens he didn’t like and his attorney general, Eric Holder, left office while being held in contempt of Congress for inhibiting the investigation of other Obama administration scandals.    Those are some of the reasons I found Obama to be a shady and slimy president.

So, if an administration was full of scandal, that means the President is "scummy".

Surely, you will accept that the current administration is full of scandal.

So explain to me, based on your own criteria and accepting that your basis is both valid and fair, why is it you fail to see that Trump is "scummy"?

He was going off the comments of the reporter, as I recall.  You can't tell from written word that the writer has a disability.

He said he never met the reporter, but guess what...

I'll give ya two guesses.. the first don't count!

"Kovaleski described a history of interactions with Trump that went back decades: “He met with Mr. Trump repeatedly when he was a reporter for The Daily News. ... ‘Donald and I were on a first-name basis for years. I’ve interviewed him in his office. I’ve talked to him at press conferences. All in all, I would say around a dozen times, I’ve interacted with him as a reporter while I was at The Daily News.”

So, if an administration was full of scandal, that means the President is "scummy".

So explain to me, based on your own criteria and accepting that your basis is both valid and fair, why is it you fail to see that Trump is "scummy"?
    What scandals?  Sure there is some stuff going on from before he was president that could be considered scandals, but what has he done while POTUS that you consider to be a scandal?  Fire someone who should have been fired long before Trump did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

What scandals?  Sure there is some stuff going on from before he was president that could be considered scandals, but what has he done while POTUS that you consider to be a scandal?  Fire someone who should have been fired long before Trump did it?
    And this ladies and gentlemen sums up America as it is right now.  As Trump said himself he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and wouldnt lose his support base
    The US really is a troubled country and far from the greatest democracy in the world as they like to call it themselves

He said he never met the reporter, but guess what...

I'll give ya two guesses.. the first don't count!

"Kovaleski described a history of interactions with Trump that went back decades: “He met with Mr. Trump repeatedly when he was a reporter for The Daily News. ... ‘Donald and I were on a first-name basis for years. I’ve interviewed him in his office. I’ve talked to him at press conferences. All in all, I would say around a dozen times, I’ve interacted with him as a reporter while I was at The Daily News.”
    Trump has probably met hundreds of thousands of people and probably thousands of reporters.  I wouldn't expect anyone to remember everyone.  Seems Trump didn't remember him as well as the reporter remembered Trump.

• Advertisement

JFC - really?

At this stage, and with all due respect, you have to be a wind up merchant.

I have and do read extensively on DJT as president and before, and I check the validity of each of the reports with corroborating reports (as sad as that might be, and as time consuming as that might be)

You, on the other hand, appear to take snippets of news that suits you and when faced with the facts, you call people names (scummy), use whataboutery and then seamlessly move on to another speculation. Posters on here have been very patient in spelling out why you misinformed but I've given up.

I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Seems Trump didn't remember him as well as the reporter remembered Trump.

He remembered him well enough to mock his disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

notobtuse wrote:
    I remember that incident. Trump was making the gesture of a deranged person. He didn't know the guy was disabled.

He most certainly did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Do you disagree that Trump's remarks make him a horrible disgrace of a human being?

Like the Mexican immigrants are rapists remarks? Or dismissing questions from female journalists by assuming it is their time of the month? Or the repeated and unrepentant lying about so many details both big and small? Remember when he claimed he would have proof that Russia were not involved in the DNC hack- he has been quiet about that claim.

Obama has nothing to do with Trump's racist remarks (well except for the passport racism Trump helped promote - incidentally I am waiting on the promised proof). Do you think Trump is a good human being? It is a matter of perspective but do you hold that perspective because it is an impressively difficult perception to keep.

Trump has probably met hundreds of thousands of people and probably thousands of reporters.  I wouldn't expect anyone to remember everyone.  Seems Trump didn't remember him as well as the reporter remembered Trump.

Perhaps he doesn't remember meeting some Russians either!

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    notobtuse wrote:
    I remember that incident. Trump was making the gesture of a deranged person. He didn't know the guy was disabled.

He most certainly did.
    That would be your opinion, correct?

Here is Trump comment on the subject...

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif]I have no idea who this reporter, Serge Kovalski [sic], is, what he looks like or his level of intelligence. I don’t know if he is J.J. Watt or Muhammad Ali in his prime or somebody of less athletic or physical ability. Despite having one of the all-time great memories, I certainly do not remember him.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif]I merely mimicked what I thought would be a flustered reporter trying to get out of a statement he made long ago. If Mr. Kovaleski is handicapped, I would not know because I do not know what he looks like. If I did know, I would definitely not say anything about his appearance.[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pretty sure at this point another one has shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that it simply isn't worth the time engaging as the discussion will not be even handed.

The next one will then be along shortly and we can repeat the cycle again.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

notobtuse wrote:
    What scandals? Sure there is some stuff going on from before he was president that could be considered scandals, but what has he done while POTUS that you consider to be a scandal? Fire someone who should have been fired long before Trump did it?

You must be on the wind up. Trump has never been out of the news since becoming president. It's been one embarrassment after another from day one.

notobtuse wrote:
    Here is Trump comment on the subject...

Funny, I never saw him mock any other reporter in such a manner, before or after that incident.

Must have been an incredible coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Trump has unbelievable luck to just magically guess how this reporter he claims to not know holds a particular arm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement