Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    notobtuse wrote:
    What scandals? Sure there is some stuff going on from before he was president that could be considered scandals, but what has he done while POTUS that you consider to be a scandal? Fire someone who should have been fired long before Trump did it?

You must be on the wind up. Trump has never been out of the news since becoming president. It's been one embarrassment after another from day one.
    He’s bombastic and a blowhard… I’ll give you that.  And others might say it has been one character assassination after another by the media from day one.

I get that Trump’s presidency is looked at differently in other countries, but look at his presidency from the people here.  Here is a graphic from FiveThrityEight of presidents approval ratings.  Seems Trump is pretty much in line with other recent presidents at this point in the presidency regarding approval rating.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

notobtuse wrote: »
    but look at his presidency from the people here.

Is it one of the many graphics that show he has the lowest approval ratings/highest disapproval ratings for a US president in generations? Have you not yet realised the numbers are never going to come out in your favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I get that Trump’s presidency is looked at differently in other countries, but look at his presidency from the people here.  Here is a graphic from FiveThrityEight of presidents approval ratings.  Seems Trump is pretty much in line with other recent presidents at this point in the presidency regarding approval rating.

Erm those charts show he is the most unpopular by far at this point in his presidency.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Christy42 wrote: »
    Obama has nothing to do with Trump's racist remarks (well except for the passport racism Trump helped promote - incidentally I am waiting on the promised proof)

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000004652064/trump-backs-off-obama-birther-claim.html

After literally years of pedalling that BS, Trump comes out and says Obama was born here... and now can we please move on from that and MAGA?

Well the reason people are talking about it is because you pedalled that lie for years.

He is a piece of...

Hurrache wrote: »
    but look at his presidency from the people here.

Is it one of the many graphics that show he has the lowest approval ratings/highest disapproval ratings for a US president in generations? Have you not yet realised the numbers are never going to come out in your favour.
    A lot of presidents had less than 50% approval ratings at this point in their term in office.  With the character assassination assault on Trump by the Democrats and the media I don't see his approval rating to rise above 50% on average of the polls.  But as I recall none of the poll averages had Trump wining the presidency either.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

He’s bombastic and a blowhard… I’ll give you that.  And others might say it has been one character assassination after another by the media from day one.

He isn't close to most of them? He is close to Ford and .2% ahead of Carter. Aside from that he scores terribly compared to other presidents. I mean 8% behind Obama and far worse compared to a few others in graphs that tend to show very little variance. He has been stable at 40% for a while and so unlikely to suddenly match Obama there.

On the disapproval side of things it is far worse for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I see Trump has just tweeted Abe has left Mar Lago.
    He must be delighted (Abe), its like when you are a kid and have to visit that crazy relative at Christmas each year, where its only polite to go say hello but everyone cant wait to get out of there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Trump wrote:
    Despite having one of the all-time great memories, I certainly do not remember him.

That just shows that he doesn't know what a memory is. Much like how he doesn't know the meaning of the word humble.
    Trump wrote:
    I think I am, actually humble. I think I'm much more humble than you would understand.

He's an idiot and a lair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

A lot of presidents had less than 50% approval ratings at this point in their term in office. With the character assassination assault on Trump by the Democrats and the media I don't see his approval rating to rise above 50% on average of the polls. But as I recall none of the poll averages had Trump wining the presidency either.

They also tended to go above 50% at some point. The numbers are there to see. His approval ratings are terrible, other presidents have had dips but none have been consistently as bad as Trump. You can't look at the approval ratings of all the past president and think this is normal without some severe ignoring of reality.

Polls did get the total votes right. You just don't understand numbers.

Why constantly blaming the media? I thought Trump found a way to communicate directly using Twitter? Can't be a character assassination if we get our views of him direct from the source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This is a disgusting comment.  You shouldn’t be worth any of my time or effort, but…

I am taking in a high school junior into my household.  She is part black and it doesn’t matter one bit to us.  Her mother has a drug addiction problem and a terminal brain tumor and her time on this earth looks to be short.  They will be evicted from their residence within a month.  The mother will be going into a homeless shelter and the girl will either join her, be on the streets, or have to go shortly into foster care.  And she will age out of foster care in less than half a year.  She is a friend of my daughter and a wonderful girl who gets straight A-grades in school.  We don’t want any money to take her in.  We just can’t let her go through foster care or go homeless.  We will provide for her, and give her a loving and caring home.  She said it will be possibly for two years that she needs a home.  We said it doesn’t matter and our home will be her home for as long as she wants and as long as she abides by our rules.

What good have YOU done recently?

I annoyed a Trump supporter. My good deed for the day. Glad to be of service.
    As for the rest of your comment, you're either mother sodding Theresa or maybe, Donald? Is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I thought Barack Obama was a scummy person.  He was little more than a slimy Chicago politician.  I'm sure you would disagree and feel he was a good president.  I guess it's all a matter of perception.  IMO.

A scummy person ? Yeah a loving father and husband who didn't cheat on his wife and had a good relationship with his daughters who seem to have grown up to be a credit to their parents. Also president of the Harvard law review.

Yeah, I mean the scumminess just drips off him really. How did he fool the people notobtuse ?

I see you've taken the political history of Chicago(not the best I'll admit) and tarred obama with it. That's nice.

A lot of presidents had less than 50%  approval ratings at this point in their term in office.  With the  character assassination assault on Trump by the Democrats and the media I  don't see his approval rating to rise above 50% on average of the  polls.  But as I recall none of the poll averages had Trump wining the  presidency either.

They also tended to go above 50% at some point. The numbers are there to see. His approval ratings are terrible, other presidents have had dips but none have been consistently as bad as Trump. You can't look at the approval ratings of all the past president and think this is normal without some severe ignoring of reality.

Polls did get the total votes right. You just don't understand numbers.

Why constantly blaming the media? I thought Trump found a way to  communicate directly using Twitter? Can't be a character assassination  if we get our views of him direct from the source.
    Oh, the media still has plenty influence.  Just not as much as they would like with Trump going directly to the people and bypassing their biased filter.  And it's driving them crazy, IMO.

Here's a good read by no fan of Trump regarding media coverage of him.  I think it explains a lot...
    https://arcdigital.media/is-the-media-biased-against-donald-trump-72109d6423cb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Oh, the media still has plenty influence. Just not as much as they would like with Trump going directly to the people and bypassing their biased filter. And it's driving them crazy, IMO.

Here's a good read by no fan of Trump regarding media coverage of him. I think it explains a lot...

My views come from what he says and tweets himself. How is the media involved there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oh, the media still has plenty influence.  Just not as much as they would like with Trump going directly to the people and bypassing their biased filter.  And it's driving them crazy, IMO.

Here's a good read by no fan of Trump regarding media coverage of him.  I think it explains a lot...

How is there a bias when they simply report his inane tweets ? I mean he gets more attention than most presidents and the media don't paraphrase his tweets, they put them up in full. I don't understand how you can be so blindly loyal to trump as a supporter when the man himself has shown he has non to others. It's like a one way street with him, when locality should be a two way street.

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/986945572262305792

So Stormy is back into Court tomorrow to try and avoid an adjournment for 90 days for Cohen and DJT as a result of the criminal trial.

It looks like they will get their Master at Law to look over the docs in the OTHER trial involving the sitting president and they have already submitted 4 names for the Judge's consideration.

Hopefully Avenatti is successful tomorrow in resisting the adjournment. My concern is that criminal trials in this jurisdiction take precedence over civil matters, so they might get that adjournment.

I, for one, am really looking forward to Cohen and Trump having to be deposed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Key view from those charts is the Net Approval Rating.

Only 2 Other Presidents have dipped below Zero at any time in their 1st 454 Days.

Gerald Ford and Bill Clinton..

Clinton had a brief period of about ~30 days below zero around the 4 month mark , but otherwise was in Positive territory..

Ford bounced around zero for about 5 months in the middle of his 1st year..

Trump went below Zero on Day 12 of his Presidency and has never gone back above zero once , he's had consistent double digit negative Net approval since about 75 days in

He is , without any shadow of doubt the least popular President in modern history at this point in his tenure..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

He’s bombastic and a blowhard… I’ll give you that. And others might say it has been one character assassination after another by the media from day one.

I get that Trump’s presidency is looked at differently in other countries, but look at his presidency from the people here. Here is a graphic from FiveThrityEight of presidents approval ratings. Seems Trump is pretty much in line with other recent presidents at this point in the presidency regarding approval rating.

According to your graphic, he's an average of 17% behind every President back to Carter. That's not "in line" at all. Esecially given the binary nature of US politics. It's actually very stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Here’s a couple of things… The Obama administration was full of scandal because he perverted the machinery of the state for political ends.  He illegally used the IRS target and other federal agencies from the BATF to the NLRB to target and harass his political enemies. Under the disguise of developing “green” energy projects he directed taxpayer money to his politically connected cronies. And the Obama administration used his Department of Justice to spy on private citizens he didn’t like and his attorney general, Eric Holder, left office while being held in contempt of Congress for inhibiting the investigation of other Obama administration scandals.    Those are some of the reasons I found Obama to be a shady and slimy president.

Even if all these were true, Trump has been stumbling from scandal to scandal. Take Scott Pruitt, Ben Carson, Michael Flynn, leaking intelligence to Russians, using campaign money for legal bills, having foreign dignitaries stay at his overpriced hotels, Ivanka and Jared in the white house, the stupid twitter nicknames, admitting to obstruction on air, backtracking on sanctions and telling the Russians before Nicky Haley, his g20 speech where he showed that he had no idea of how Nato worked and his general obsession with himself for example. That's just what we know so far.

Republicans had 6 years to investigate Obama and he came out fairly clean which is pretty good for a Chicago politician. Trump has been in office for less that 18 months and the scandals are weekly.

It's clear that you are judging Obama by a different set of standards than you are Trump.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's clear that you are judging Obama by a different set of standards than you are Trump.

Of course he is. Four legs good, two legs bad. Trump may be an absolutely disgraceful excuse for a human being, but he occasionally remembers to pretend to be a conservative, and that's good enough for the "I'd literally vote for Satan himself if he was on the GOP ticket" brigade.

The USA is finished. It's like a chicken with its head cut off: it's dead, but it hasn't realised it yet.

Quin_Dub wrote: »

The Key view from those charts is the Net Approval Rating.

Only 2 Other Presidents have dipped below Zero at any time in their 1st 454 Days.

Gerald Ford and Bill Clinton..

Clinton had a brief period of about ~30 days below zero around the 4 month mark , but otherwise was in Positive territory..

Ford bounced around zero for about 5 months in the middle of his 1st year..

Trump went below Zero on Day 12 of his Presidency and has never gone back above zero once , he's had consistent double digit negative Net approval since about 75 days in

He is , without any shadow of doubt the least popular President in modern history at this point in his tenure..
    I think if he stays between 40% - 50% approval he'll do okay.  Under that then it's time to worry.  While the media has obsessed over Trumps tweets its hard to believe that with all the tweeting he’s found time to work with Congress to cut taxes for struggling families and fight to bring back jobs and industries to America.   But it does prove, at least to me, the media's power to pull the wool over people's eyes if the media hates you.  It will be a good test to the old phrase... 'it's the economy, stupid.' IMO

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »

Of course he is. Four legs good, two legs bad. Trump may be an absolutely disgraceful excuse for a human being, but he occasionally remembers to pretend to be a conservative, and that's good enough for the "I'd literally vote for Satan himself if he was on the GOP ticket" brigade.

The USA is finished. It's like a chicken with its head cut off: it's dead, but it hasn't realised it yet.
    Reports of our demise are grossly exaggerated.

At least Hannity might not believe, nor does he need to, the BS he is spouting - as he is making a living from doing it.

I don't get people who actually DO believe the BS.

Here’s a couple of things… The Obama administration was full of scandal because he perverted the machinery of the state for political ends.  He illegally used the IRS target and other federal agencies from the BATF to the NLRB to target and harass his political enemies. Under the disguise of developing “green” energy projects he directed taxpayer money to his politically connected cronies. And the Obama administration used his Department of Justice to spy on private citizens he didn’t like and his attorney general, Eric Holder, left office while being held in contempt of Congress for inhibiting the investigation of other Obama administration scandals.    Those are some of the reasons I found Obama to be a shady and slimy president.

Even if all these were true, Trump has been stumbling from scandal to scandal. Take Scott Pruitt, Ben Carson, Michael Flynn, leaking intelligence to Russians, using campaign money for legal bills, having foreign dignitaries stay at his overpriced hotels, Ivanka and Jared in the white house, the stupid twitter nicknames, admitting to obstruction on air, backtracking on sanctions and telling the Russians before Nicky Haley, his g20 speech where he showed that he had no idea of how Nato worked and his general obsession with himself for example. That's just what we know so far.

Republicans had 6 years to investigate Obama and he came out fairly clean which is pretty good for a Chicago politician. Trump has been in office for less that 18 months and the scandals are weekly.

Of course Obama came out relatively clean.  If only the Department of Justice would have done their job during his tenure.  But with Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch at the helm it only proves political appointees should never be placed at the head of the DOJ… at least Democratic appointees IMO.  

Eleven House Republicans have signed a joint letter to Attorney General Jeff Sessions calling for the criminal prosecution of Hillary for disguising payments to Fusion GPS” in a way that violated federal campaign finance law, former FBI Director James Comey for a politically motivated failure to prosecute Clinton, as well as for the allegedly illegal act of leaking his own notes to a friend, former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe for the same “lack of candor” that was already the pretext for taking away his pension, former Attorney General Loretta Lynch for not prosecuting the Uranium One deal, FBI agent Peter Strzok and DOJ lawyer Lisa Page for allegedly interfering with the Clinton email investigation.  Separately, it calls for prosecution of “all DOJ and FBI personnel responsible for signing the Carter Page warrant application,” which is Comey and McCabe plus former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates plus former US attorney (and current FBI general counsel) Dana Boente for allegedly violating Page’s civil liberties.  And even Trump appointee Dana Boente, who is currently the FBI’s general counsel.  

But Congress can’t take action.  The Department of Justice would need to act for anything to get done.

Of course Obama came out relatively clean.  If only the Department of Justice would have done their job during his tenure.  But with Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch at the helm it only proves political appointees should never be placed at the head of the DOJ… at least Democratic appointees IMO.  

Eleven House Republicans have signed a joint letter to Attorney General Jeff Sessions calling for the criminal prosecution of Hillary for disguising payments to Fusion GPS” in a way that violated federal campaign finance law, former FBI Director James Comey for a politically motivated failure to prosecute Clinton, as well as for the allegedly illegal act of leaking his own notes to a friend, former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe for the same “lack of candor” that was already the pretext for taking away his pension, former Attorney General Loretta Lynch for not prosecuting the Uranium One deal, FBI agent Peter Strzok and DOJ lawyer Lisa Page for allegedly interfering with the Clinton email investigation.  Separately, it calls for prosecution of “all DOJ and FBI personnel responsible for signing the Carter Page warrant application,” which is Comey and McCabe plus former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates plus former US attorney (and current FBI general counsel) Dana Boente for allegedly violating Page’s civil liberties.  And even Trump appointee Dana Boente, who is currently the FBI’s general counsel.  

But Congress can’t take action.  The Department of Justice would need to act for anything to get done.

If only the republicans could control all branches of the government at once, and could do whatever they wanted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

There are 248 Republicans in the House of Representatives, 54 in Senate. 11 demanding anything is pretty minimal. The reality is, they don't view there to be a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Reports of our demise are grossly exaggerated.

You sacrifice your children on the altar of the gun.

You leave your poor to die for want of cash.

Your elections are dangerously, corruptly gerrymandered.

You elected a President who revels in his ignorance, who defiles every value known to man, who sexualised children and his own daughter repeatedly, endorsed a pedophile.

You imprison more of your population than any country in the world.

Your country is in entangled in military disputes across the world, while your education system crumbles.

Your people are divided by race and and religion.

You've sold your elections into the hands of a handful of billionaires, who pick and chose the candidates based on little else but who will give them the biggest cash reward in terms of tax cuts.

In some categories your life expectancy is declining.

But you do have a big shiny military, and big shiny clown as Commander and Chief so I guess it isn't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think if he stays between 40% - 50% approval he'll do okay.  Under that then it's time to worry.  While the media has obsessed over Trumps tweets its hard to believe that with all the tweeting he’s found time to work with Congress to cut taxes for struggling families and fight to bring back jobs and industries to America.   But it does prove, at least to me, the media's power to pull the wool over people's eyes if the media hates you.  It will be a good test to the old phrase... 'it's the economy, stupid.' IMO

This branch of conversation started because you claimed he was about were most presidents were at this point. Now the gap is proof of the media's power.

I judge the man on his words and actions. I have heard his repeated lies. I have seen his claim that fixing healthcare would be so simple only to fail horribly as Republicans realised they could not do better (and indeed that Obamacare was better than what was there before). I have heard his followers talk about the death of PC while supporting a man who complained that people were mean about him and was offended by someone kneeling.

I have seen his tweets. I have not seen him deride those beholden to the NRA before quietly stepping back into line.

All of this happened. All of these are good reasons to judge the man poorly.

All I hear in his defense is complaints about the media or Obama or Hilary. Very little about why I should respect the man himself. Very little about why he would be more popular without the "character assassination" as you put it.

It will be a good test of that phrase alright.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think if he stays between 40% - 50% approval he'll do okay.  Under that then it's time to worry.  

But he is under that..He's just about hitting 40% on the average and well below that in quite a few polls..

Fundamentally and factually , there has not been a more unpopular president at any time in the last Century at this point in their tenure.

While the media has obsessed over Trumps tweets its hard to believe that with all the tweeting he’s found time to work with Congress to cut taxes for struggling families and fight to bring back jobs and industries to America.   But it does prove, at least to me, the media's power to pull the wool over people's eyes if the media hates you.  It will be a good test to the old phrase... 'it's the economy, stupid.' IMO

Has he really??

How much influence did Trump have on the tax bill , in real terms ??

We can debate separately if it's actually a tax cut for the middle classes , but that can wait for another time. He certainly had no hand act or part in the authoring of the bill.

He blustered and he threatened and threw tantrums , but he got none of the things he wanted in the budget.

What Jobs has Trump (or his policies) brought back?

The one he bought from Carrier that they have quietly moved overseas anyway after pocketing the cash?

The ones announced by the likes of Walmart etc. that when you look closely are actually net cuts in jobs when you track the lay-offs that they quietly announced shortly after the fan-fair announcements?

Or maybe your talking about that one single Coal-mine that re-opened and hired 70 people? but ignoring the rampant job losses that are occurring in the renewables sector on foot of the hatchet job that Pruitt is doing in terms of regulations via the EPA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

For info of those with access to BBC2 Newsnight, it's running an interview with J Comey and has invited the Mooch along as a guest for his opinion as a former W/House Dir of Communications to give his judgement on JC and his book

• Advertisement

aloyisious wrote: »
    For info of those with access to BBC2 Newsnight, it's running an interview with J Comey and has invited the Mooch along as a guest for his opinion as a former W/House Dir of Communications* to give his judgement on JC and his book

*Of eleven days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement