Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭amandstu

everlast75 wrote: »
    I knew her from before the dinner and like her and her humour.

It might be not for everyone taste, but to be "offended" and walk out when Trump has said what he has said and have no issue with it? Faux outrage.
    Like Pence at that football game.

Like they have the moral highground on anyone at the moment...
    You don't find her delivery a bit stilted?

And her voice is really annoying/grating:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

amandstu wrote: »
    You don't find her delivery a bit stilted?

And her voice is really annoying/grating:-)

The delivery was probably due to nerves. It's a big gig.

Yep - her voice is a bit odd but it doesn't annoy me.

She has been on the daily show for a few years now - this will do her no harm at all. Those that did not like her at the WHCD wouldn't like her anyway. Others have now heard of her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I personally didn't think much of it, it wasn't particularly funny.

It was not something that I would have signed off on.

In saying that SHS, Trump, Kelly, KAC et al, have given plenty of examples of targeting peoples looks, gender, mental health, health, weight etc so it is a bit rich for any Trump supporter to complain.

Surely she is "just telling it like it is", isn't that what the people are demanding? "Enough of this PC nonsense, sure you can't say anything."

So are conservatives back to not liking this sort of stuff? As usual, its the hypocrisy that gets me the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Here's one of many reasons why The Donald is fair game:

Nothing Wolf said or did compares with this behaviour.

She could not have been more spot on, and perhaps the reason why the reporters had an issue with her, is this gem;

“You guys are obsessed with Trump. Did you used to date him? Because you pretend like you hate him, but I think you love him.

I think what no one in this room wants to admit is that Trump has helped all of you. He couldn't sell steaks or vodka or water or college or ties or Eric. But he has helped you. He's helped you sell your papers and your books and your TV. You helped create this monster and now you're profiting off of him"

• Advertisement

Watched about 30 seconds and it was awful.

Came here to get the lowdown and when people are defending a comedy performance by saying the butt of the jokes deserves it, then you know it's not actually funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It reminded me of Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes. A bit cringe but right on the money.

Watched about 30 seconds and it was awful

Well, its good to see you gave her a good long chance before slamming it.
    Came here to get the lowdown and when people are defending a comedy performance by saying the butt of the jokes deserves it, then you know it's not actually funny.

Nope. I thought it was funny and by god does she deserve it.

Btw Michelle has a particular problem with women who enable DJT.

Anyway - regarding SHS - this tweet was on the money for me..

https://twitter.com/billyeichner/status/990679909142949888?s=19

It reminded me of Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes. A bit cringe but right on the money.

I agree. A bit of shock and awe while your new Netflix series is just being announced is definitely "on the money".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I agree. A bit of shock and awe while your new Netflix series is just being announced is definitely "on the money".

It also means to be correct.

• Advertisement

It also means to be correct.

She's just helping Trump in order to benefit her own career.

I've watched a good bit more of the performance and it caters solely to people like you guys who already despise that administration.

For everyone else, it's just more of the same. People who see that performance and then hear people describing it as funny are left thinking "what are these people on about?"

Did anyone here actually laugh at it? Chuckle even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Forget the scandles, lies, court cases, etc before and after the election. Is there anyone on here who can point to one verifiably positive thing Trump has done (that he was actively involved in) for the American People and/or the international community since taking office?

I am genuinely curious if an example exists.
    If there is one can you explain what he as President did to make it happen?

It's a genuine question as I'm getting kinda of numb to what is reported by the media and his own tweets.

Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC - podcast from April 26th claims that Ruport Murdoch personally called for the interview with Fox and Friends to be pulled when they did! Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I for one thoroughly enjoyed that 19minutes of uncomfortable comedy from the correspondents dinner.

Some brilliant points made with a real edge. Of course CNN are not happy either they got torn a new one too.

It was an all inclusive roast, and it was spot on for the most part. The CNN bit was excellent, most of it was. Some real comedic risk taken and most of it came off tbh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

everlast75 wrote: »
    I knew her from before the dinner and like her and her humour.

It might be not for everyone taste, but to be "offended" and walk out when Trump has said what he has said and have no issue with it? Faux outrage.
    Like Pence at that football game.

Like they have the moral highground on anyone at the moment...

I wouldn't have been a fan of hers from the Daily Show but she did a fantastic routine last night - it was so to the point. I was delighted she called out Conway and SHS for being the inveterate liars that they are, and the US media for putting Trump where he is today, just to make money for themselves. That probably accounts for a lot of the meeja having a go at her. Snowflakes how are ya !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I for one thoroughly enjoyed that 19minutes of uncomfortable comedy from the correspondents dinner.

Some brilliant points made with a real edge. Of course CNN are not happy either they got torn a new one too.

It was an all inclusive roast, and it was spot on for the most part. The CNN bit was excellent, most of it was. Some real comedic risk taken and most of it came off tbh

It was just Locker Room talk.....

Sean Spicer was not happy about it

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/990430460508549120

but Wolf's reply was nice...

https://twitter.com/michelleisawolf/status/990432919847079936

I'd encourage you to read the replies to those tweets, so funny. Even former Ethics Chief Walter Schaub (who resigned in disgust over Trump), passed comment

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/990453260585701377

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The idea that Wolf should hold back when talking about The Donald and his lying cronies is ridiculous. The Donald showed his true colours early on with his untruthful and vicious personal attacks on Clinton during the candidates's debates. The Donald is fair game.

Of course he is. Yet, Wolf commented numerous times of SHS's physical appearance and made fun of it. How many times have we heard that women need to stand up for each other in this regard, unless of course you're 'the other'.

I have to concur, the jokes were kinda lame and ham fisted. Is this the best they could do? Give me a Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle or a Ricky Gervais any day of the week. Hell, even Milo would have done a better job I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

I've watched a good bit more of the performance and it caters solely to people like you guys who already despise that administration.

For everyone else, it's just more of the same. People who see that performance and then hear people describing it as funny are left thinking "what are these people on about?"

Did anyone here actually laugh at it? Chuckle even?

I rarely watch the correspondence dinner and didn't watch this one. I did get a decent laugh out of hearing that Trump supporters got so offended they left. And indeed that they are complaining that people were mean about them. After all that Trump has said and they have defended? It is just a joke, don't get so easily offended.

To be fair correspondence dinner was never going to appeal to anyone but those with a dislike of Trump. It is designed to take the piss out of the president and the current administration can't take a joke. What can you do at that point? You are at a comedy evening about people without a proper sense of humour. People will always be offended in that situation, the fact that they are the tell it like it is crowd is brilliant though.

As for her jokes I obviously can't comment but I feel like you should be able to accept people have a different sense of humour to you? It seems unimportant. If you don't laugh don't look up the rest of her stuff and if you do then do look her up. Hardly the biggest point of the night as it turns out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

markodaly wrote: »
    Of course he is. Yet, Wolf commented numerous times of SHS's physical appearance and made fun of it. How many times have we heard that women need to stand up for each other in this regard, unless of course you're 'the other'.

I have to concur, the jokes were kinda lame and ham fisted. Is this the best they could do? Give me a Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle or a Ricky Gervais any day of the week. Hell, even Milo would have done a better job I think.

Please provide one quote where she mocked her physical appearance?

This x100

This is all well and good in the short term, hell it will probably benefit her career as well. Money talks after all.

However, in the medium term, this short of stuff plays into the hand of Trump and the wider GOP, Conservative and middle American community. It plays perfectly into the narrative of the MSM in their cosy ivory towers, laughing and making fun of 'them' while they are the ones who have to deal with the day to day problems facing the US.

This is part of the reason why the Democrats are in such a weak position now electorally. Think Hunger Games, Panem and the like. So, laugh all you want because it just makes defeat for the Dem's in the next election more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Her jokes were just locker room talk!
    The offended act is hard to believe considering they support a guy who mocks the disabled, grab her by the p***y, and the serial adultery.

20Cent wrote: »
    Her jokes were just locker room talk!
    The offended act is hard to believe considering they support a guy who mocks the disabled, grab her by the p***y, and the serial adultery.

Like Bill Clinton then? Were the same jokes used then at the same White House Correspondents dinner in the 90's? I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hey guys

Going to be doing a lot of driving over the next couple of weeks, any of ye reccomend a few political TuneIn stations to Listen to. Both liberal and conservative, I listen to Fox News on it but it's starting to melt my head and I need something intelligent

Thanks

Oh I don't have premium TuneIn...who does

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Like Bill Clinton then? Were the same jokes used then at the same White House Correspondents dinner in the 90's? I think not.

But but Clinton..............
    Dunno didn't watch it in the 90's were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

As it happens, Clinton was an infinitely better POTUS and human being. But this isn't the Bill Clinton thread. The Donald plays dirty and shows no mercy and so he deserves everything he gets and if those who enable him, such as liar Sarah, get caught in crossfire then gee whiz. The Donald and the other snakes in the White House need to be shown up for what they are and whatever it takes to do that is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Of course he is. Yet, Wolf commented numerous times of SHS's physical appearance and made fun of it

Where did she do that? Exactly where?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I agree mostly with the 2nd part of your post about Wolf being lame. I'm no fan of Wolf. I only listened to it because of your claim in the first part of post re Wolf's comments on SHS physical appearance. I had to go back on that section 3 times and I still can't hear such a thing in what she says.

Can you make clear your allegation but not using another person's tweet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement