Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/990928644100034561

Seemed like it was the favoured location. Makes sense. One train of thought was that the North Koreans didn't have an aircraft capable of making the flight to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I can’t take any of the outrage against the comedian seriously.

Not when I look at Trump’s record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,937 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Pelvis wrote: »
    Can you guys stop being so obtuse? The makeup comment was a clear insult on her appearance, no sane person could think her eye makeup could possibly be nice in any way.

Knock knock jokes are actually about the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Can you guys stop being so obtuse? The makeup comment was a clear insult on her appearance, no sane person could think her eye makeup could possibly be nice in any way. Why are you so at pains to deny this? It was clearly was her intention, much like it was regarding Chris Christie.

I say this as someone who enjoyed the monologue.

What was it that Wolf actually said about SHS makeup?

"I actually really like Sarah, I think she is really resourceful. Like she burns facts and then uses that ash to create the perfect smokey eye"

How is that in anyway a 'clear insult' on her appearance? It certainly takes a shot at her tendency to be less than controlled on facts, but appearance wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Can you guys stop being so obtuse? The makeup comment was a clear insult on her appearance, no sane person could think her eye makeup could possibly be nice in any way. Why are you so at pains to deny this? It was clearly was her intention, much like it was regarding Chris Christie.

I say this as someone who enjoyed the monologue.

LOL you are complaining it was an insult while at the same time insulting her appearance

It very obviously wasn't insulting her appearance in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sweden has been involved, a lot in the last year, brokering the Korean deal. A lot of diplomacy, in the background. Trump simply doesn't want the talks there and give due credit elsewhere.
    Always about himself, not 'just saying'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭amandstu

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What was it that Wolf actually said about SHS makeup?

"I actually really like Sarah, I think she is really resourceful. Like she burns facts and then uses that ash to create the perfect smokey eye"

How is that in anyway a 'clear insult' on her appearance? It certainly takes a shot at her tendency to be less than controlled on facts, but appearance wise?

When I heard it my gut reaction was that it was to laugh at her appearance but on reflection .I already thought she had a pitiful demeanour(have you seen the pictures of her) and was in fact wondering at the time how she got to look like that.

In fact she seemed to be contorting her features in an ugly way and the "smokey eyes" jab describes the look well (threatening yet deadened)

So I can understand why it seemed to be an attack on her physical appearance but that's a pitfall for jerks (an immature minority ,let's hope) who think that way in the first place.

She and Trump do deserve all they get but such an attack would be wrong and counterproductive (Trump looks like a prat precisely because he is so puffed up with his self image)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I must admit im realllly enjoying all those conservative snowflakes losing their **** over this.

And the MSM, cause they got called out correctly, are jumping on wolf too.

The gas thing is Michelle Wolf actually complimented her.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

amandstu wrote: »
    When I heard it my gut reaction was that it was to laugh at her appearance but on reflection .I already thought she had a pitiful demeanour(have you seen the pictures of her) and was in fact wondering at the time how she got to look like that.

In fact she seemed to be contorting her features in an ugly way and the "smokey eyes" jab describes the look well (threatening yet deadened)

So I can understand why it seemed to be an attack on her physical appearance but that's a pitfall for jerks (an immature minority ,let's hope) who think that way in the first place.

She and Trump do deserve all they get but such an attack would be wrong and counterproductive (Trump looks like a prat precisely because he is so puffed up with his self image)

As a father to a teenage Daughter I sadly know this factoid.. "Smokey Eyes" is a specific reference to the style of eye make-up with the dark eye-shadow and detailing etc. (Google "Smokey Eyes" )

So it's actually quite a smart line suggesting that the look was achieved using the ashes of the truth etc.

In no way could it realistically be construed as any kind of dig at her appearance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭amandstu

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    As a father to a teenage Daughter I sadly know this factoid.. "Smokey Eyes" is a specific reference to the style of eye make-up with the dark eye-shadow and detailing etc. (Google "Smokey Eyes" )

So it's actually quite a smart line suggesting that the look was achieved using the ashes of the truth etc.

In no way could it realistically be construed as any kind of dig at her appearance..
    Yes that "ashes of the truth " metaphore is really punchy .Dylanesque?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Enochwasright

Did she not also compare SHS looks to an old frumpy woman from a tv show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying the Donald Trump presidency. The man is a breath of fresh air in a political world gone stale. Aside from the fact that he winds up the perpetually offended - aka dopes on social media, RTE, every journalist, politician etc etc (which is very enjoyable) he has the economy back on track and it looks like the great wall will be built.

As for that alleged comedian (what was her name?) seems like a token gesture to prove how right on and politically correct the media are, to give the stage to a woman. Apart from her grating voice, her jokes weren't funny.

Trump 2020 here we come!!

wes wrote: »
    Nothing worse then people who are happy to fire off insults, who then cry when they get a small taste of there own medicine. The entire notion that you are not suppose to be offensive to Trump and his ilk is laughable. They lowered the tone and imo they are legit targets for insults.

If you don't want people insulting you, then don't insult people yourself. The level of right wing hypocrisy is utterly stunning. When, they say something racist or homophobic, its free speech, but the moment anyone targets them, they are "triggered cry baby snow flakes" (to borrow there own terms they use).

Make your mind up. Are you against personal insults or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

President Moon of South Korea says Donald Trump should be given the Nobel Peace Prize.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1I10OD
    "President Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize. What we need is only peace," Moon told a meeting of senior secretaries, according to a presidential Blue House official who briefed media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

"Perpetually offended" who is offended now and getting all upset.

Prove pc credentials by giving the stage to a woman. That is brilliant.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Did she not also compare SHS looks to an old frumpy woman from a tv show?

No, she didn't. She said "I love you as Aunt Lydia in The Handmaid’s Tale. Mike Pence, if you haven’t seen it, you would love it."

It wasn't a reference to her looks; it was a reference to her being an enabler of an abusive man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The roast hadn't the intelligent cutting wit of other years, which is often more caustic than Wolfs and a lot more memorable,entertaining.

It fell on that hurdle.

joe40 wrote: »
    "Perpetually offended" who is offended now and getting all upset.

Prove pc credentials by giving the stage to a woman. That is brilliant.

I'm not offended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It is very clear the Republic of Gilead experiment in America is failing. Weak president, silent vice president, and odious individuals like John Bolton resurrected from the political grave (where they should have been left) is all Gilead has offered. Their support of vile Middle Eastern warmonger Netanyahu (who is only going to make matters much worse in Syria and revive ISIS again) and of other vile individuals like Duterte of the Philippines show us the lovely people Gilead loves to pal around with. It is clear Bolton and in the past Bannon as well as Bob Mercer are the real leaders of Gilead. Trump is a total fool to have gotten involved with them and he will pay the cost dearly for doing so too.

It is time to make The Handmaid's Tale fiction again. It is time to make America great again ... by removing this odious excuse of a government. Let's hope the Gilead Oppressive Party gets trashed in November and then this leads to a series of investigations that bring the whole thing to the ground and that we see some of Gilead's leaders like Bolton in prison for war crimes.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No, she didn't. She said "I love you as Aunt Lydia in The Handmaid’s Tale. Mike Pence, if you haven’t seen it, you would love it."

It wasn't a reference to her looks; it was a reference to her being an enabler of an abusive man.

In your opinion, in my opinion it was quite clearly a dig at her looks, seen plenty of side by side pics doing the rounds on twitter today, is it just a coincidence they do have a similar look?

• Advertisement

I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying the Donald Trump presidency. The man is a breath of fresh air in a political world gone stale. Aside from the fact that he winds up the perpetually offended - aka dopes on social media, RTE, every journalist, politician etc etc (which is very enjoyable) he has the economy back on track and it looks like the great wall will be built.

As for that alleged comedian (what was her name?) seems like a token gesture to prove how right on and politically correct the media are, to give the stage to a woman. Apart from her grating voice, her jokes weren't funny.

Trump 2020 here we come!!

I'm not enjoying this presidency. Gilead belongs in and can be enjoyed in The Handmaid's Tale but Gilead as a real world fascist state and a superpower at that poses a massive threat to the world. Nothing good is going to come out of the current setup over there and the sooner Trump wakes up to the fact he has a gang of Neo-Nazis around him, the better. Too late when they turn on him. Remember in fictional Gilead, the president of the US ended up dead.

In your opinion, in my opinion it was quite clearly a dig at her looks, seen plenty of side by side pics doing the rounds on twitter today, is it just a coincidence they do have a similar look?

Well, my opinion is based on a familiarity with Wolf's comedy. If it suits you to believe - despite the abundant evidence from her past work and the rest of the monologue - that it wasn't a dig at Sanders' enabling of an abusive man, fair enough.

Out of curiosity, are you in the "'perfect smokey eyes' is an insult" camp too?

The fact is Trump is so foolish to have decided to front for the Gilead types. If a full on Gilead regime did take hold, Trump himself would be dropped. Here are some things Trump has done that Gilead would consider illegal:

-Gilead would not recognise a divorced man as leader. His marriages to all apart from Ivanka would be null and void.
    -Gilead would not protect his son in law because he is Jewish and would be sent over to Netanyahustan, the Jewish Gilead.
    -Gilead would not consider Trump a real believer. He has held far more liberal views in the past.
    -Gilead would not approve of Trump's love of stylish women or his involvement in beauty pageants.
    -Gilead would not approve of some of Trump's friendships with his favourite singers like Ray Charles on racial grounds.
    -Gilead would not approve of Trump's time spent doing the wasteful materialistic pastime that is golf.

Yes, Trump is sleepwalking himself into trouble for himself as well as everyone else. The neo-Nazi Christian hardliners around him would not approve of him on any number of grounds. It is ironic that Donald Trump, a liberal businessman, of all people opened the door for potential Gilead.

Well, my opinion is based on a familiarity with Wolf's comedy. If it suits you to believe - despite the abundant evidence from her past work and the rest of the monologue - that it wasn't a dig at Sanders' enabling of an abusive man, fair enough.

Out of curiosity, are you in the "'perfect smokey eyes' is an insult" camp too?

Yeah, i enjoyed it there for the last while when it seemed we where moving away from judging people on how they look, certainly liberals were at the forefront of that progress but not it seems anymore! we are going backwards in this regard. Many commentators have been judging SHS on her looks/make up style etc and it's common to see trump get mocked about his looks/size of hands/genitalia etc

All in all judging her make up/comparing her to that old frumpy woman will only be seen as not judging her look by the most partisan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Isreal has revealed a secret Iranian nuclear program. Media and hardcore right and lefties are jumping up and down with joy about this.

People who got a brain though noticed the files are from 1999-2003. This not stops the idiots though I bet, the world getting dumber every day.

Isreal has revealed a secret Iranian nuclear program. Media and hardcore right and lefties are jumping up and down with joy about this.

People who got a brain though noticed the files are from 1999-2003. This not stops the idiots though I bet, the world getting dumber every day.

Netanyahu and his fascist pals from Gilead are the biggest nuclear threats to the world and the only ones likely to use nuclear weapons in war. And they are the ones telling others they cannot have such weapons.

All in all judging her make up/comparing her to that old frumpy woman will only be seen as not judging her look by the most partisan.

Oy vey.

How about we take a look at what she actually said:

"I actually really like Sarah. I think she’s very resourceful. She burns facts, and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smoky eye. Like maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s lies. It’s probably lies."

It's quite simply beyond me how anyone can genuinely interpret that as "judging her makeup" other than through a dogged, determined, wilful effort to miss the point even when they're being bludgeoned with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Netanyahu and his fascist pals from Gilead are the biggest nuclear threats to the world and the only ones likely to use nuclear weapons in war. And they are the ones telling others they cannot have such weapons.

I bet Trump will use this to pull out of Iran deal and Israel likely trying to force a confrontation with Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,937 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Oy vey.

How about we take a look at what she actually said:

"I actually really like Sarah. I think she’s very resourceful. She burns facts, and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smoky eye. Like maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s lies. It’s probably lies."

It's quite simply beyond me how anyone can genuinely interpret that as "judging her makeup" other than through a dogged, determined, wilful effort to miss the point even when they're being bludgeoned with it.

Trump supporters tend not to understand subtlety or nuance..

• Advertisement

I bet Trump will use this to pull out of Iran deal and Israel likely trying to force a confrontation with Iran.

Most likely. Netanyahu's negative involvement in Syria will be aimed to drive Iranian forces out and weaken Assad, leaving of course Syria open to a revival of ISIS. If Israel then see themselves targeted by a succession of Sunni extremists coming from Syria, then they can only blame Netanyahu.

I think the Russians may ensure Netanyahu will not get things his way. The rest of the world should stick with the Iran deal and bypass Gilead and Netanyahu and render these cold war dinosaurs irrelevant.

The current policies and people like John Bolton should be consigned to the past. I thought all these idiots were permanently put out of business in the later GW Bush years. Trump is a clown to let them back in. It could in the end cost him his life. If Trump is The Handmaid's Tale president, then he is a dead man walking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement