Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just watching Trump swearing in Pompeo as SoS, (or in other words, kissing his big ole Italian butt)

Has Trump actually had another face-lift in the last week? His eyes are stretched like a chap in a g-force flight trainer and he has a white band across his eyes where they clearly couldn't apply fake tan post-op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Leroy42 wrote:
    I honestly can't believe that so little is being made of the story that Trump dictated his own doctors cert.

If it is discussed at all it is in the space of almost a joke. Here, yet again, we have a person who is quite happy to lie and defraud and to bend the rules. Not only that, but he has people around him willing to defend him.

Why does anybody think that this man can be trusted on anything when he would lie about something like that. Of course the guy is going to lie to cover his tracks, we have a clear example of it.

Quite a bit was made of it at the time. His detractors said it had obviously been written by Trump and his supporters didn't care.
    I assume they still don't care, just like they don't care that he lied to them about releasing his tax returns or being a self made man of the people.

Being wrong means nothing when you're shameless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,938 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

a contributor to the Maddow show the other evening said words to the effect that in the "post truth era";

"if emotion, and not facts, lead you to a particular conclusion, it is unlikely that facts will later change your mind"

I thought that was spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

amandstu wrote: »
    If it was shown this was true (that they had leaked them) would there be any legal consequences ?

No consequences. As far as we know, all the leaks come from the defense side, which they are entitled to do.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Sorry. In my defence (no pun intended), he does have an awful lot of lawyers.

Re Dowd, the reason he left so suddenly after that meeting is because by offering a potential pardon to Flynn, he let himself open to Obstruction of Justice charges !

The obvious thought on this is that either Flynn was wired, or told Mueller afterwards.

• Advertisement

Anyone else feel like its all about to kick off?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/991690248399794176?s=19

Yes if Kushner or one of the Trump Children get indicted, I think that will be the kick off point. As it is, I think there is an outer deadline of the November midterms. If he loses either the House or Senate, buy in lots of popcorn for 2019.

Earlier I said
    Over the last day or so, it came out that Cob had a meeting with Mueller, in which a Subpoena was mentioned. Cob responded angrily and then left Trump's team.

That must have been a premonition- Cobb is now gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mumha wrote: »
    No consequences. As far as we know, all the leaks come from the defense side, which they are entitled to do.

Not really, there's arguments by better versed people than you and I that it could be edging towards obstruction of justice.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not really, there's arguments by better versed people than you and I that it could be edging towards obstruction of justice.

Link ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭josip

And now Cambridge Analytica is to close and its parent company will file for bankruptcy.
    Is there anything or anyone associated with Donald Trump that's safe from an undignified end?

josip wrote: »
    And now Cambridge Analytica is to close and its parent company will file for bankruptcy.
    Is there anything or anyone associated with Donald Trump that's safe from an undignified end?

As Rick Wilson says... Everything Trump touches, dies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You would have to wonder why anyone wants to be associated with him. Fair enough to work for him but the likes of Kelly, SHS, GOP seat holders etc surely can see that the only winner will only ever be Trump himself.

The latest example, the WH doctor, has basically been destroyed by agreeing to help Trump out.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You would have to wonder why anyone wants to be associated with him. Fair enough to work for him but the likes of Kelly, SHS, GOP seat holders etc surely can see that the only winner will only ever be Trump himself.

The latest example, the WH doctor, has basically been destroyed by agreeing to help Trump out.

They all think they know better. Perhaps they think "he can't be as bad as people say he is, can he?". They all find out he is worse than they say.

The exception to those that work for him thinking that is SHS; you can tell she revels in being a nasty, nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

josip wrote: »

Probably an astute move by the owners, a hint that the heat is too hot in the kitchen. I hope the investigation get's into gear to stop destruction of relevant CA records. The bankruptcy should have the Fed ahead of any other people looking for cash payments due/overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trumps lawyer ty Cobb gave an interview where he said has little doubt that the questions weren't leaked by the mueller side.

He also said it's an open question whether a special counsel can get a president to testify. Bill Clinton may suggest otherwise, and Nixon didn't testify but he did try to ignore a subpoena for the tapes he had. My point is the Supreme Court has form in this and it's never favoured a president. If trump knew the history of the office he holds he'd know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Bit of a positive news if it's true. Might be a good sign ahead of the summit.

http://www.newsweek.com/north-korea-allegedly-released-us-prisoners-ahead-landmark-meeting-trump-908695

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Bloomberg news has Rudy Giuliani as saying that there is still a chance there will be a sit-down with RM, but it won't happen if the Trump legal team think the investigation believes that Comey is telling the truth.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Bloomberg news has Rudy Giuliani as saying that there is still a chance there will be a sit-down with RM, but it won't happen if the Trump legal team think the investigation believes that Comey is telling the truth.
    So Mueller and his team will have to state they they don't believe comey before the trump team agree to an interview ? Yeah that's not happening so trumps team can then claim it's a rigged investigation.

By saying they don't believe comey, they will be saying they believe trump. I know it's a big move but I think Mueller will subpoena Trump as it's clear doesn't want to really have an interview with mueller because it would be suicidal politically.

The Washington Post have already reported that those questions were written by Jay Sekulow, not Mueller, anticipating the type of questions Mueller would ask Trump in an interview, based on a contentious meeting on March 5. So, no, there is no issue.

The Post sourced its report on "three of the four people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk publicly."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mueller-raised-possibility-of-presidential-subpoena-in-meeting-with-trumps-legal-team/2018/05/01/2bdec08e-4d51-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html?utm_term=.f7ed7a37e2a4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, seems some lawyers are saying, if he is subpoenad, Trump should plead the Fifth.
    What is the likely reaction, should he do so?

aloyisious wrote: »

That's great, as Rudy said he'd have it all wrapped up in 2 weeks, which is this Friday.

Water John wrote: »
    Well, seems some lawyers are saying, if he is subpoenad, Trump should plead the Fifth.
    What is the likely reaction, should he do so?

Well that's the point of no return for Republicans. If they don't break after that, then you're full into a constitutional crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The country is the USA, not "Gilead". Use the nation's proper name in future here please and drop the "Gilead" nonsense.

Yes, USA or United States of America (it is hardly united though!) is the name of the country the last time I checked. I hope it is still called that at all times in the future. I hope the hardline religious and racist nutters drop the nonsense though. What has it brought the world? Recession, ISIS, ISIS copycats, more failed Middle Eastern states, more hatred, more terrorism, more misery. The failed policies of so-called 'hawks' (an insult to the bird by the way to call these lowlives after wildlife!) is repeated over and over without them learning. Bolton should be ashamed of himself and his stupid war in Iraq not defending it and wanting to repeat it.

And there's more ! It's only Wednesday....

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/991770049068154880

This potentially opens up all the tapes that MGM wouldn't release of Trump making racial slurs etc.
    Summer Zervos, a former contestant on “The Apprentice” who accused President Trump of sexual assault, is seeking records to prove that he defamed her by calling her a liar.

A lawyer for Ms. Zervos, who is suing Mr. Trump for defamation in New York, said on Wednesday that subpoenas had been issued both to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, which owns archives of the reality show, and to the Beverly Hills Hotel, where Ms. Zervos says he groped her in 2007.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/nyregion/summer-zervos-trump-apprentice.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

markodaly wrote: »
    You can say you believe all you want, I am not buying it. Your over use of the word 'Gilead' portrays a sense of insecurity and doubt, which you seek to cover up by strident fanaticism of the opposite side of the spectrum.

No, I am not insecure in my beliefs nor fanatic. Just tired of hardliners justifying wars that history has shown have only made existing problems ten times worse.
    Ah, so backtracking again. Trump is like the Bible, only a fool would take it/him literally.

I agree with this.
    Including violence, bombings, assassin attempts, kinda what happened in The Handmaid's tale? Oh the irony!!
    Do you advocate the use of violence so?.

Did not say that.
    Have you read Margaret Atwood's, The Handmaid's Tale, I doubt it.

I am looking at a red book on my table that I finished reading called The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I read this new version with the new intro now and have read it in its older form first in 2003 and again in 2007 and again in 2013. I also read Margaret's various articles on how she got inspiration for it from the likes of 1980s Romania. I did not read 1984 meaning THE BOOK 1984 by Orwell.
    Jaysus, step away from a TV/laptop and go for a walk, smell the fresh air. The Conspiracies are in your head.

So I must have had a very bad dream. Saddam is still leader of Iraq and Iraq and Syria are safe to visit. A moderate regime is governing America and this ISIS from my dream setting off bombs all over European cities and all these gunmen conducting mass shootings and other fanatics driving cars into crowds are not happening in reality. And this John Bolton and Steve Bannon are not real. Thank god for that. Just going to have a shower now before I go for a walk and I guess Bobby Ewing will be in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Especially sweet, if it's the put upon women, have the ultimate revenge.

Mumha wrote: »

The Washington Post have already reported that those questions were written by Jay Sekulow, not Mueller, anticipating the type of questions Mueller would ask Trump in an interview, based on a contentious meeting on March 5. So, no, there is no issue.

The Post sourced its report on "three of the four people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk publicly."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mueller-raised-possibility-of-presidential-subpoena-in-meeting-with-trumps-legal-team/2018/05/01/2bdec08e-4d51-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html?utm_term=.f7ed7a37e2a4
    No reporting of where the questions cane from, said that mueller or his team wrote the questions. They verbally told the trump team at the meeting in march and it's reported that trumps team wrote these questions down at or shortly after this meeting.

The only thing the Washington post has done is tell us which member of the presidents team wrote them down. The meeting was contentious because John Dowd got heated and claimed this whole thing was interfering with the presidents work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Giuliani says Trump reimbursed Cohen for Stormy Daniels payment, Avenatti must think in is Christmas.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/02/politics/giuliani-hannity-comey/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Giuliani says Trump reimbursed Cohen for Stormy Daniels payment, Avenatti must think in is Christmas.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/02/politics/giuliani-hannity-comey/index.html
    My guess is that Trump's team knows that the documents which Mueller has obtained from his warrant against Cohen will show that Cohen was reimbursed. So this is going to come out, and they have decided that it's better coming sooner, and from them.

This isn't a mistake or a slip by Giuliani. He said it in an interview on Fox, and the repeated it in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. In the latter interview, apparently, he is asked if this new information conflicts with the President's previous statements (that he didn't know about the payment Cohen made, and didn't reimburse him for it); in Giuliani's view, apparently, that's "not an issue".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement