Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Taking it at face value (auto-translated as it is) I don't get what the issue is exactly. They didn't say they had access to the CCTV or which country it was. Should they have kept shtum and not mentioned what the Russians did?

My guess now is that the methods and details weren't leaked to the press or anything like that but the fact that it was Cozy Bear certainly got out to the public. I've been aware of them for quite some time.

If the Russians knew that the CIA knew that Cozy Bear had a hand in this, they would eventually be able to work out how the CIA got this information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,834 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The author does admit to choosing which account he prefers at the start when multiple accounts of the same thing contrast but even with that, the narrative just fits too neatly to be entirely discounted.

So kind of like Charlie Murphy vs. Rick James?

https://youtu.be/ZdVAH8Z5O90?t=2m51s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Overheal wrote: »
    So kind of like Charlie Murphy vs. Rick James?

https://youtu.be/ZdVAH8Z5O90?t=2m51s

LOL. I would love to see trump walking all over Eddie's couch with shi**y shoes and get beaten up for it.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Even if half of it is true, it's astounding

I'm about 2/3 through it. There's definitely a few factual errors in there but most of it rings true. Katie Walsh, Banon and others are on tape and the picture they paint is damming. The last 12 months have made it very easy to believe the WH has descended into the anarchy described by Wolff - the constant leaking, the revolving door situation with staff, the tweets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭eire4

According to Wolff's book, Roger Ailes was going to set up a TV network, more right wing than Fox and had allegedly Hannity and that other ***** O'Reilly signed up. Their plan was to hitch their wagon to Trump and his 35% base. Didn't go through obviously. So, when you consider that's where Hannity's market is, it is not surprising

O my that is scary. A TV network that is further ring wing then Fox already is ouch. I mean Fox already is merely a propaganda network I can only imagine how bad something further to the right of that would be. George Orwell's Newspeak comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don will probably have a twitter meltdown. While he's in Davos backing his "I'm put the US first" promoting US trade and bilteral deals, according to the 8PM RTE radio 1 news, the U.S. Board of Trade [think the title is right] has overturned the Admin's 220% tariff imposed on Bombardier Civil Aircraft [made in Canada and elsewhere] to protect U.S. Boeing Aircraft jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

aloyisious wrote: »
    Don will probably have a twitter meltdown. While he's in Davos backing his "I'm put the US first" promoting US trade and bilteral deals, according to the 8PM RTE radio 1 news, the U.S. Board of Trade [think the title is right] has overturned the Admin's 220% tariff imposed on Bombardier Civil Aircraft [made in Canada and elsewhere] to protect U.S. Boeing Aircraft jobs.
    U.S. International Trade Commission. Never heard of them till now, thanks! Their rulings do matter, but I imagine they're overridable somehow (Exec order, Congress...)

Hadn't heard of them till now, but they're a federal agency. I'm sure the knives'll be sharpened once Trump's back from the booing at Davos

My guess now is that the methods and details weren't leaked to the press or anything like that but the fact that it was Cozy Bear certainly got out to the public. I've been aware of them for quite some time.

If the Russians knew that the CIA knew that Cozy Bear had a hand in this, they would eventually be able to work out how the CIA got this information.

But that stuff always comes out. That's the first mention I've seen about the Dutch or CCTV cameras. The St. Pete troll farm is known about, as are a few others in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

this is absolutely fantastic.

If I didn't despise the agitator Hannity, I would be embarrassed for the man

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/956729170700259329
    The way he even cuts to a totally meaningless car chase aswell is the icing on the cake... "hey look at this, explosions!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,834 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Getting a little tired of the right wing antics surrounding the Deep State conspiracies. #releasethememo is a complete joke given that it’s a memo authored by Republicans, for Republicans, that they can release whenever they want because Trump could declassify it just by tweeting it, or the GOP could given they own the House and the House Intelligence Committee.

Today their mouthpieces did the rounds again about the dismissed FBI agents over their texts about a ‘secret society’ that is of course all bunk taken wildly out of context. This all because, new reports abound about how Trump had plotted to fire Meuller (not to mention Comey before him) that the right has embarrassed themselves trying to deny on its face.

Sorry but I still remember candidate Trump yelling The election is rigged! The election is rigged! Only to find President Trump thinking that’s an absurd notion and who could really believe Russia interferes in our election anyway right??

They’ve for more than a year now been trying to play games with discrediting the work of the intelligence community and the FBI in particular because frankly, they have to know more than Meuller does or did. The ultimate aim being that even if Meuller publishes his findings they can be dismissed as improper findings due to bias or something, and establishment Republicans will never allow a motion to begin impeachment procedures go anywhere, the same way they have already shot down several articles of impeachment brought to the house floor.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Getting a little tired of the right wing antics surrounding the Deep State conspiracies. #releasethememo is a complete joke given that it’s a memo authored by Republicans, for Republicans, that they can release whenever they want because Trump could declassify it just by tweeting it, or the GOP could given they own the House and the House Intelligence Committee.

Today their mouthpieces did the rounds again about the dismissed FBI agents over their texts about a ‘secret society’ that is of course all bunk taken wildly out of context. This all because, new reports abound about how Trump had plotted to fire Meuller (not to mention Comey before him) that the right has embarrassed themselves trying to deny on its face.

Sorry but I still remember candidate Trump yelling The election is rigged! The election is rigged! Only to find President Trump thinking that’s an absurd notion and who could really believe Russia interferes in our election anyway right??

They’ve for more than a year now been trying to play games with discrediting the work of the intelligence community and the FBI in particular because frankly, they have to know more than Meuller does or did. The ultimate aim being that even if Meuller publishes his findings they can be dismissed as improper findings due to bias or something, and establishment Republicans will never allow a motion to begin impeachment procedures go anywhere, the same way they have already shot down several articles of impeachment brought to the house floor.

Unless Mueller were to produce the most damning, incontrovertible evidence, the Reps will do whatever mental and semantic gymnastics they need to and find a way to exonerate Trump. Only this month, former Trump enemy Lindsay Graham recommended prosecuting Christopher Steele. I'm sure Mueller is taking note and is already taking steps to minimise the grounds on which findings can be disputed. I still can never see the Republicans turning on Trump. Everything hinges on the Nov elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

jooksavage wrote: »
    Unless Mueller were to produce the most damning, incontrovertible evidence, the Reps will do whatever mental and semantic gymnastics they need to and find a way to exonerate Trump. Only this month, former Trump enemy Lindsay Graham recommended prosecuting Christopher Steele. I'm sure Mueller is taking note and is already taking steps to minimise the grounds on which findings can be disputed. I still can never see the Republicans turning on Trump. Everything hinges on the Nov elections.

I sincerely hope that the reason the Reps are supporting Trump is because they are up to their neck in dodgy dealings too and want to protect themselves, and that they are all caught by Meuller and prosecuted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I sincerely hope that the reason the Reps are supporting Trump is because they are up to their neck in dodgy dealings too and want to protect themselves, and that they are all caught by Meuller and prosecuted.
    No just like all politicans they have sold themselves to special interest. Trump is a better fool vessel president to get those implemented than a democrat president would be that they would need to oppose on everything to get voted back in again even if the Democrat president would offer world peace and tax cuts. It's more that they are politicians than anything else that is the issue here than anything else; it's not like there were not issues before Trump as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nody wrote: »
    No just like all politicans they have sold themselves to special interest. Trump is a better fool vessel president to get those implemented than a democrat president would be that they would need to oppose on everything to get voted back in again even if the Democrat president would offer world peace and tax cuts. It's more that they are politicians than anything else that is the issue here than anything else; it's not like there were not issues before Trump as well.

Vested interests makes sense... to a degree.

However, the level to which Trump will crash and burn (if there's any justice) will cause extensive collateral damage and self preservation "should" kick in. The fact that it hasn't yet to me stinks of something deeper.

The could have jettisoned Trump and had Pence - who could easily get as much done for them as Trump. Why not that logical option? Something reeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

jooksavage wrote: »
    This is the exact reason that I'd be surprised if you see significant Mueller action until after the 2018 elections, unless there is an absolutely huge smoking gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mueller may only need to question Trump on one aspect, obstruction of justice.
    The other strands, which might actually be the real target, will not need Trump's evidence.
    Remember Mueller's early hireings, all indicated he was following a money trail.
    I presume, at some stage, as mid terms draw near, Mueller cannot be seen to be acting, in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Donald claimed in an ITV interview that the polar ice caps aren't receding and that they have never been bigger. The US electorate have a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

The Donald claimed in an ITV interview that the polar ice caps aren't receding and that they have never been bigger. The US electorate have a lot to answer for.

There is actually a debate about this. A NASA study in 2015 stated that the gains from the West exceeded losses from the East. However, studies since then suggest that the opposite is happening but NASA haven’t released a further detailed study.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

VonZan wrote: »
    There is actually a debate about this. A NASA study in 2015 stated that the gains from the West exceeded losses from the East. However, studies since then suggest that the opposite is happening but NASA haven’t released a further detailed study.

Here's what he said: “The ice caps were going to melt, they were going to be gone by now, but now they’re setting records." Is he right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭eire4

I will agree and disagree with you on that one. I hear where your coming from but in fairness only 54% of the electorate voted in the last presidential election and that is about the norm and only 33% voted in their last mid terms. That means that congress and the president are elected by the votes of roughly half of Americans. So roughly only 25% of Americans voted for him. They are certainly the ones to blame no question first and foremost.
    Now some could say those who don't vote are to blame as well. But the reality is who do they vote for. The American system IMHO is now an oligarchy not a democracy. The Democrats and Republicans have in place at federal and state levels a myriad of laws to prevent any genuine threat from a new party emerging. The 2 parties clearly do not represent the will or best interests of the vast majority of Americans. So in that regard I really don't blame the large chunk of Americans who do not vote as they really do not very often have good options given how corrupt and broken the American electoral system is. Then you add in gerrymandered house districts, rampant bribery via citizens united and mass voter suppression and really again for me I do not blame those who don't vote for not doing so. What chance do they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For anyone with FTA or ITV in Other Channels.. Piers Morgan's interview with Trump is on ITV 1 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Trump taking credit for record low unemployment levels among African Americans is like an inverse of the graph of Trump taking credit for record high stock markets:

Jy3wGbD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

VonZan wrote: »

There is 0 debate about this. Even you yourself have stated that there is no evidence that the ice caps are currently at record levels.

Here is a quick synopsis of that study btw and we can see the clear downward trend. https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4435

Once again Trump is lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

I've been reading through the weekly list, this week's list has some concerning reports that have flown under the radar.

https://theweeklylist.org/weekly-list/week-63/
    18. WaPo reported ICE has detained or deported several prominent immigrant activists across the country, prompting accusations that the Trump regime is targeting political opponents.
    21. Reverend Kaper-Dale said, “We had one night when 35 dads were taken in one night from Avenel, New Jersey, from the same apartment complex. I had 60 kids become orphans that night or become fatherless.”
    22. The Verge reported ICE has gained agency-wide access to a nationwide license plate recognition database. The source of the data is Vigilant Solutions, which has a database of more than 2 billion license plate photos.

23. ICE will be able to query the database to track license plates’ movements over the past five years, and will get email alerts when a new record of a particular plate is found — raising significant privacy concerns.

It seems ICE are being used to suppress political dissent of Dreamers. If they see their community leaders get picked up, more people will be reluctant to come forward and speak up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All,

Given the level of interest and volume of posts on the subject of Voter suppression etc. I've moved the posts on that topic from this thread to it own thread.

Please continue that discussion here and let's shift this one back to Trump..

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Summary: The same Russian lawyer that met with the chuckleheads in Trump tower to talk about "adoption" engaged in bribery and “unauthorized clandestine behavior” with a Swiss official who has now been fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Another scalp on Don's belt. McCabe resigned as Acting Director of FBI W/E/F today. CNN reporting that the retirement is a "mutual" decision and that Don has no comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

They actually played the imperial march/Vader’s theme from Star Wars at trump while he stood there at Davos. Amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/jboehmermann/posts/1832669753432206

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If that was real, there'd be a flood of "Death Star/Star Destroyer/Imperial Shuttle ride" memes from the cesspits of the Internet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement