Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,046 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Shep has F U money and a F U contract. He's one of the voices FN needs to fake credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

What on earth are you on about.

It's an awful hit piece written by one woman against another for political reasons. That stuff disgusts people in the middle.

If you agree with the author, just say so. Or if you think it helps the left, just say so. I think it helps the right.

I would actually say the piece likely has a 0% influence on the left, middle, or right voters I America.

It's the guardian, I'd be amazed if even 1% of Americans read it.

And ultimately it's an opinion piece. It's making a few definite leaps, but one thing is true, the girl has lived an almost entirely staged life. It's not a genuine or heartfelt photo that someone caught on camera, it's just playing to the brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mr Gowdy, companion to Mr Nunes and who had less than zero entitlement to be at one, nevermind both of the meetings last week on the Mueller investigation, has now come out and contradicted Trump, and says there is nothing improper about the investigation, and that there is no spy.

He was one of the most loyal Trump supporters (hence why he got the nod to go). Interesting that he has turned.

Manafort and Cohen were in court yesterday. I believe Cohen is in again today. I will have a lot of catching up to do later on that, but it was bad news for Manafort.

"Paul Manafort’s defense team can’t review an unredacted affidavit that supported warrants used to search his Alexandria residence, a judge ruled.

U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson in Washington denied a request by Manafort’s lawyers to review documents that could help them challenge the legal basis for the warrant. The ruling allows Special Counsel Robert Mueller to shield the names of confidential sources."

Trump was at a rally last night.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1001616669540798464?s=19

Here is a feed of his comments. From encouraging the attendees to chant "animals" when referring to MS-13 members and calling Pelosi a MS-13 lover, or sounding a bit rapey in saying "Mexico is going to pay for the wall, and they will like it", its like he is playing all his greatest hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And in response to what he said at the rally the President of Mexico said..
    https://twitter.com/EPN/status/1001635649550663680?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The Roseanne defenders are truly inspiring. Apparently it's not possible to tell her target was black because her skin is lighter than Roseanne's. Also, it's not like she died or anything. Roseanne is now blaming the drug ambien for her behaviour too. Also, Katie Hopkins has got her back. Has Trump made a response yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Bit slow on this but just going through some tweets now and saw these from Trump. Seems he was having a bit a meltdown, with a number of tweets such as this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001420270094168064

After a few of those, he then posted this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001424695126880258

So finally, he is going to start to actually concentrate on his job rather than his own self interest. Finally, we are seeing the man become POTUS, he understands that while personally important that it matters little to the lives of most Americans and he needs to focus on the things that are important for the whole of the US.

That lasted two hours!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001455721588969472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,776 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Two hours of focusing on being, like, soooo presidential is probably very generous to him.

He prob toddled off for his dinner and watched a bit of fox then back to the tweeting.

What’s the bets that trump will support Roseanne’s racism next.

Nice story breaking overnight from the NYT about Mueller interviewing Sessions in Jan and that he is the focus for the obstruction charge.

I know it is obvious when you think about it, but with all the chaos most people don't.

Looking back, its painfully clear that there was intent to obstruct the investigation.

Indeed, Rudi admitted as much at the weekend, by saying he was not worried about collusion, but moreover obstruction.

He also admitted their strategy was to influence the public when talking about "spygate" as he believes impeachment is inevitable and if it happens, the public will influence their representatives and so they are working on them in a PR way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And back to Apprentice: WH edition. Trump blowing up the G7 meeting agenda (next week in Canada).

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-blows-up-g7-summit-agenda-canada/

Summary: "With days to go before leaders of the world’s seven largest advanced economies meet in Canada, organizers have a problem — Donald Trump is making it hard to agree on anything."

No surprise, of course. Oh, the new doublespeak is 'environmental resilience' from the WH instead of climate change (which is watered down global warming, of course.)

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    instead of climate change (which is watered down global warming, of course.)

Climate change and global warming are actually different phenomena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Igotadose wrote: »
    And back to Apprentice: WH edition. Trump blowing up the G7 meeting agenda (next week in Canada).

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-blows-up-g7-summit-agenda-canada/

Summary: "With days to go before leaders of the world’s seven largest advanced economies meet in Canada, organizers have a problem — Donald Trump is making it hard to agree on anything."

No surprise, of course. Oh, the new doublespeak is 'environmental resilience' from the WH instead of climate change (which is watered down global warming, of course.)

Had to laugh at Trudeau's Theresa May styled quote about no Nafta being better than a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Hurrache wrote: »
    Climate change and global warming are actually different phenomena.

:eek::eek::eek: WHAT??! *Quickly runs to fact check this*
    “Global warming” applies to the long-term trend of rising average global temperatures.
    “Climate change” is a broader term that reflects the fact that carbon pollution does more than just warm our planet. Carbon pollution is also changing rain and snow patterns and increasing the risk of intense storms and droughts. 

I had no idea. And I thought I understand. Damn. If anyone needs me, I'll be crying in the corner.

Ha ha, in fairness I don't think a lot of people put much thought into the phrases and assume they're interchangeable, I've done it myself.

:eek::eek::eek: WHAT??! *Quickly runs to fact check this*

I had no idea. And I thought I understand. Damn. If anyone needs me, I'll be crying in the corner.

I think you are still correct about their using climate change to refer to global warming too because people didn't believe the planet was getting warmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Ha ha, in fairness I don't think a lot of people put much though into the phrases and assume they're interchangeable, I've done it myself.

Agree ,it is very important to use the right terms .Maybe eventually even the Scrotus might understand how it works if the ideas are presented simply enough.

Wishful thinking surely but if enough influential people can be educated then we might find a way around that roadblock.

Ha ha, in fairness I don't think a lot of people put much thought into the phrases and assume they're interchangeable, I've done it myself.

FWIW I never use 'climate change.' Global warming all the way. Makes people uncomfortable. Got to keep hammering on these things.

It seems the first lad hasn't made a public appearance in 19 days. Is it embarrassment? Recovery from surgery? Did she make the mistake of recommending a bad doctor to her husband? When asked about her a few days ago he had this odd response. (33 seconds in)

It seems the first lad hasn't made a public appearance in 19 days. Is it embarrassment? Recovery from surgery? Did she make the mistake of recommending a bad doctor to her husband? When asked about her a few days ago he had this odd response. (33 seconds in)

Milking it for clicks like all things Trump. I like the conspiracy theories going on about it, like she's writing a book with the Obamas that tells all. Heh.

Might simply be she's recovering from her kidney surgery, that's serious stuff and she's not young and lived that unhealthy 'model' lifestyle (starving yourself, enormous amounts of exercise, probably smoked, too.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

The first lad? Some kind of a prosthetic?:o

Probably wishing her demise,I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

NFL owners have issued new edict that teams will be fined if they dont show appropriate respect for the National anthem.
    By that it means players must stand or else can choose to stay in the locker room for the playing of anthem. 
    Looks like a win for Trump, having been very vocal and gotten heavily involved in the debate , DT seems to have taken on the largest sport in America ($$) as well as some of the richest sports stars in the US and gotten his way.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    NFL owners have issued new edict that teams will be fined if they dont show appropriate respect for the National anthem.
    By that it means players must stand or else can choose to stay in the locker room for the playing of anthem. 
    Looks like a win for Trump, having been very vocal and gotten heavily involved in the debate , DT seems to have taken on the largest sport in America ($$) as well as some of the richest sports stars in the US and gotten his way.

Roseanne calls black woman an ape - "1st amendment rights!"
    NFL players kneel in a peaceful protest - "FIRE THEM!"

Roseanne calls black woman an ape - "1st amendment rights!"
    NFL players kneel in a peaceful protest - "FIRE THEM!"

Wel, tbf, Roseanne was fired because of the tweets.

However in relation to the NFL players, it always surprises me that a country that prides itself on freedom is so fast to want to take away freedoms as quickly as possible.

It has been a very successful campaign for Trump, he has shown that big business is willing to bend to his demands. This is a man that seemingly forgets the words and needs his wife to remind him to place his hand on his heart during the anthem.

This is the man that uses Memorial day as an excuse to push his political agenda.

It really is not a major step to demand conscription (you know to show you love America and the military).

everlast75 wrote: »
    Atta boy Shep!!!! He must have F U money stored at this stage to enable him to say what he wants on TV Trump without fear of being fired...

https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1001551623938805763?s=19
    everlast75 wrote: »
    Mr Gowdy, companion to Mr Nunes and who had less than zero entitlement to be at one, nevermind both of the meetings last week on the Mueller investigation, has now come out and contradicted Trump, and says there is nothing improper about the investigation, and that there is no spy.

He was one of the most loyal Trump supporters (hence why he got the nod to go). Interesting that he has turned.

So we had Shep, then Gowdy, now a Fox Contributor Judge Napolitano saying "spygate" is baseless.

Of course they are 100% correct, but still - to hear these come out against Trump's propaganda is quite something. Perhaps there is finally an acceptance that Trump is screwed and they are all trying to get on the right side now rather than later..

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Wel, tbf, Roseanne was fired because of the tweets.

You're right, I should have made it more clear - what I meant was:

Roseanne - "but the first amendment, you can't fire her!"
    NFL - "fire them at once"
    However in relation to the NFL players, it always surprises me that a country that prides itself on freedom is so fast to want to take away freedoms as quickly as possible.

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

You're right, I should have made it more clear - what I meant was:

Roseanne - "but the first amendment, you can't fire her!"
    NFL - "fire them at once"

Spot on.

While slightly off topic, America still has a long way to go before it deals with its racist history.
    Jesse Owens was snubbed by the President after his symbolic thrashing of Hitler's Aryan bullsh1t.

The NFL, and Trump, are just carrying on a long tradition.
    Of course, Trump is dragging race relations in America back at least 50 years, and one gets the feeling much of his undoing of Obama's legacy is to do with the colour of Obama's skin.

Which is ironic, given Trump's apparent desire to self-identify as Oompa Loompa

It is a question that I have wondered about, but have no facts on which to base it.

Would the outcry have been the same had the NFL players not been black (there might have been some others but mainly it was black players protesting about police violence)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

It is a question that I have wondered about, but have no facts on which to base it.

Would the outcry have been the same had the NFL players not been black (there might have been some others but mainly it was black players protesting about police violence)?

I doubt very much that the reaction would have been the same, for instance Trump favourite Roseanne Barr famously mocked the anthem when singing it, grabbed her crotch and spat on the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The historic tradition of the players standing for the anthem goes back well into the mists of time... all the way back to 2009. Before that all the players were still in the locker room at that point in proceedings. Does that make this another one of Obamas * changes that Trump is trying to get rolled back as well by getting everyone into the locker rooms for the anthem. :D

* It of course has absolutely nothing to do with Obama.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    The historic tradition of the players standing for the anthem goes back well into the mists of time... all the way back to 2009.

That just shows the power that Trump has and how he is very effectively changing so many aspects of America.

That he was able to get such a non-issue to be almost a "with us or against us" situation is indicative of how easily many people in the US are being manipulated.

Supporters were prepared to boo their own team players over this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement