Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

RIGOLO wrote: »

MSM is only a prejorative if you take it as a prejorative, otherwise it simply a useful term that can be used to refer to the main stream news outlets.

At what point does a media outlet become "MSM"?

Is it down to volume? Or does it only apply to "traditional" media (TV , Newspaper)?

If Breitbart suddenly overtook MSNBC in terms of traffic volumes , would that make them MSM ?

Or is it down to the actual nature of the content?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

josip wrote: »
    It might seem like that from poor Trump's perspective

Damn predictive text!
    Trump has signed 'The Right To Try' bill into Law . The legislation allows terminally ill patients the right to try drugs already in FDA testing but not yet fully approved.

Fair play to him.

Seems like another win. 
    Another? Name the first one
    MSM outlets reporting this. Theres a cool video of Trumps on CNBC.

See? It's not all one sided
    MSM is only a prejorative if you take it as a prejorative
    Not really, because whenever it is used by Trump or his supporters, it is said in a derogatory fashion. It is to him and his base, an insult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

By Rigolo own definition, then Fox News is the very height of MSM.  Yet it is not only regarded as the source of the truth, it is consistently promoted by Trump and he takes time out to personally call into the shows.

How do ones square that circle?  MSM is bad, the top MSM outlet is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    By Rigolo own definition, then Fox News is the very height of MSM.  Yet it is not only regarded as the source of the truth, it is consistently promoted by Trump and he takes time out to personally call into the shows.

How do ones square that circle?  MSM is bad, the top MSM outlet is good?
    Do the local stations (the ones controlled and owned by a single large media group).

I will hold off on the right to try. That could go well or bad if the dying and desperate are simply abused for their cash on pointless drugs. With proper regulation it could be very good to give people a chance who otherwise would be dying too quickly for future cures.

I complimented Trump on the anti lobbying stuff but got burned when he gave exemptions to those he wanted to form the swamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

By way of an update on another case involving DJT, Zervos (a former Apprentice contestant) is suing him for Defamation.

The matter was before the Court today.

His lawyer requested that the matter be referred to the Supreme Court to determine if the Pres can be sued in a State Court.

The Judge denied their application and directed that depositions of all parties be completed by Jan 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Some prolific tweeting today. I'm impressed by Jeff Sessions' staying power, considering the pace of change in the Trump administration.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Big day in California, they have their Primaries.. with what they call the 'jungle primary system' where the top 2 vote getters irrespective of party go thru to the Nov elections. 
    Either party running too many candidates in the same district could dilute their vote and end up with the oppossiton having 2 candidates come thru as poll toppers 
    Its California,  but will still be interesting to see how it plays out. Guvenor, Senate and House primaries . 
    And in other Trump related news Twitter stock has hit a 3 year high and in doing so entered the S&P 500. 
    The law of un-intended consequences strikes again, I wonder are twitter stock holders and employees going to support and vote for Trump 2020 considering he has done so much for their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Koch brothers are launching an anti-tariff campaign in direct opposition to The Donald's populist brainfart. This is significant as the campaign will highlight the reasons why there shouldn't be tariffs via advertisements across the media. It's also very significant because the Kochs are major donors to the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

So a federal judge has given Paul Manafort until Friday to explain just what the hell he was doing when he and his Russian associate attempted to tamper with witnesses. If he can't come up with a satisfactory explanation, he's likely off to jail. No doubt Mueller would like to give him a taste of incarceration - the reality of what a life behind bars might feel like could loosen his tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The Koch brothers are launching an anti-tariff campaign in direct opposition to The Donald's populist brainfart. This is significant as the campaign will highlight the reasons why there shouldn't be tariffs via advertisements across the media. It's also very significant because the Kochs are major donors to the GOP.

Not only that they basically created the Tea party which led the way for trumps brand of "politics". They also were heavily involved in the lobbying for the GOP tax plan last year.

The Kochs going against him is a big deal that the GOP and Trump supporters will try to play down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Manafort developments are interesting. Could be that he is just about to flip or cut a deal with Mueller. Another possibility is that Manafort doesn't have much to bring to the table. Trying to tamper with witnesses seems like the actions of a desperate individual.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

jooksavage wrote: »
    So a federal judge has given Paul Manafort until Friday to explain just what the hell he was doing when he and his Russian associate attempted to tamper with witnesses. If he can't come up with a satisfactory explanation, he's likely off to jail. No doubt Mueller would like to give him a taste of incarceration - the reality of what a life behind bars might feel like could loosen his tongue.
    The Manafort developments are interesting. Could be that he is just about to flip or cut a deal with Mueller. Another possibility is that Manafort doesn't have much to bring to the table. Trying to tamper with witnesses seems like the actions of a desperate individual.

Hmm.. Does that put some context into the recent "I can pardon anyone for anything" rampage that DJT and Guiliani have been on?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Hmm.. Does that put some context into the recent "I can pardon anyone for anything" rampage that DJT and Guiliani have been on?

I think it's crunch time. Two important questions remain. Does Manafort have anything verifiable and significant to disclose about The Donald? Is Manafort willing to take a bullet for The Donald?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Big day in California, they have their Primaries.. with what they call the 'jungle primary system' where the top 2 vote getters irrespective of party go thru to the Nov elections. 
    Either party running too many candidates in the same district could dilute their vote and end up with the oppossiton having 2 candidates come thru as poll toppers 
    Its California,  but will still be interesting to see how it plays out. Guvenor, Senate and House primaries . 
    And in other Trump related news Twitter stock has hit a 3 year high and in doing so entered the S&P 500. 
    The law of un-intended consequences strikes again, I wonder are twitter stock holders and employees going to support and vote for Trump 2020 considering he has done so much for their stock.

Fox News is reporting that Mitch McConnell is cancelling August's traditional recess citing Democrats obstruction of Don's nominees and the need to pass spending bills. Coincidentally it will tie Democrat Senators to Washington during the run-up to the Nov elections, when some of them are sitting in seats liable to change of the incumbent.

I think it's crunch time. Two important questions remain. Does Manafort have anything verifiable and significant to disclose about The Donald? Is Manafort willing to take a bullet for The Donald?

But DJT has spent the last week telling anyone that's listening that any bullets fired will be blanks as he'll pardon them instantly...

But DJT has spent the last week telling anyone that's listening that any bullets fired will be blanks as he'll pardon them instantly...

He'll soon run out of pardons. I think the optics of The Donald pardoning Manafort at the moment of conviction would be worse than anything that Manafort might reveal. As was said about Watergate: It's not the crime, it's the cover up.

He'll soon run out of pardons. I think the optics of The Donald pardoning Manafort at the moment of conviction would be worse than anything that Manafort might reveal. As was said about Watergate: It's not the crime, it's the cover up.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you , but a lot of it is about the timing of these things..

If Mueller actually sends Manafort to jail in the next month or two , then that might have some significant impact were Trump to pardon him there and then in terms of Elections/Impeachment

Trump doing that would certainly energise the Dem voters and might mitigate the current short term bump in the Economy that Trump and the GOP are likely to use as the main strut of their campaign.

I can't see the GOP impeaching Trump in anything other than the most extreme scenario before the mid-terms , they wouldn't have a hope of recovery from the fallout.

However I've seen from multiple sources that Mueller intends to go "dark" some time before the elections so as to not have any undue impact on the results.. so if we haven't had the big name falling in the next 6-8 weeks I don't think we will before November..

Ordinarily I'd agree with you , but a lot of it is about the timing of these things..

If Mueller actually sends Manafort to jail in the next month or two , then that might have some significant impact were Trump to pardon him there and then in terms of Elections/Impeachment

Trump doing that would certainly energise the Dem voters and might mitigate the current short term bump in the Economy that Trump and the GOP are likely to use as the main strut of their campaign.

I can't see the GOP impeaching Trump in anything other than the most extreme scenario before the mid-terms , they wouldn't have a hope of recovery from the fallout.

However I've seen from multiple sources that Mueller intends to go "dark" some time before the elections so as to not have any undue impact on the results.. so if we haven't had the big name falling in the next 6-8 weeks I don't think we will before November..

Maybe the GOP will back him no matter what. You could be right. However, each GOP politician up for election will have to make a call. Do I continue backing The Donald despite the gathering clouds or do I jump ship and disown him to show my integrity? I think if a few break away from the herd, and benefit from it, then it will be a stampede. Regarding Mueller going dark, I doubt very much he wants repeat Comey's mistake just before election day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

Anti Trumpers are delusional
    it plays out the same every time
    Monday a story breaks, Trump is screwed
    Wednesday, its not actually that bad
    Friday, Fcuking hell, Trump has played them like a fiddle
    Every time the same scenario plays out, and the Anti Trumpers never learn

The net is closing on corrupt Democrats, they are throwing everything at Trump in the hope that something sticks, it reeks of desperation, the melt downs once again will be fabulous when it is once again a nothing burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Anti Trumpers are delusional
    it plays out the same every time
    Monday a story breaks, Trump is screwed
    Wednesday, its not actually that bad
    Friday, Fcuking hell, Trump has played them like a fiddle
    Every time the same scenario plays out, and the Anti Trumpers never learn

The net is closing on corrupt Democrats, they are throwing everything at Trump in the hope that something sticks, it reeks of desperation, the melt downs once again will be fabulous when it is once again a nothing burger.

Same stuff parroted on his fan pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Welcome to the thread dublinbuster, I look forward to further enlightening copy/paste material from you.

Think you will bring a fresh perspective to this thread, something nobody here will have seen or heard before. Real food for thought if you will.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Maybe the GOP will back him no matter what. You could be right. However, each GOP politician up for election will have to make a call. Do I continue backing The Donald despite the gathering clouds or do I jump ship and disown him to show my integrity? I think if a few break away from the herd, and benefit from it, then it will be a stampede. Regarding Mueller going dark, I doubt very much he wants repeat Comey's mistake just before election day.

And what way will Donald's voters go? I mean one of the few true things he has said is that he could kill a baby and people would vote for him. People won't care about Manafort getting pardoned. Sure isn't it his right with corrupt Hilary not going to jail etc. etc. As long as he has the support of enough people (remembering the map is quite bad for Democrats and generally speaking they are at a disadvantage in terms of gerrymandering) then the only thing that can stop him is Mueller's investigation.

If enough people just watch Fox News - or their local right wing station then he will be just fine in my opinion. American and the world might not admittedly.

I mean, and I will say in fairness Fox did apologise for it, but I still can't see how it was an accident that when talking about Trump not inviting the Eagles (or at least the very few that could stomach the man) Fox showed pictures of the Eagles kneeling... in prayer but obviously the prayer bit was left off. I mean they had to find something given that Trump once again lied to get out of an embarrassing situation and it is their job to make him look like he is telling the truth.

dublinbuster is right about one thing. We have seen this before and it is never the end of the world. If his supporters don't care, and many never will then the Republicans will back him.

Same stuff parroted on his fan pages.
    Welcome to the thread dublinbuster, I look forward to further enlightening copy/paste material from you.

Think you will bring a fresh perspective to this thread, something nobody here will have seen or heard before. Real food for thought if you will.

The delusion is strong, your like cant see the forest for the trees, it plays out the same every time.
    According to never Trumpers he has been finished dozens on times, and yet he is still going strong, within a week talks with North Korea, if a deal is done, it should get him a Nobel Prize,(look what Obama got one for SFA).
    China is giving concessions on trade tariffs that the experts said would never happen.
    Employment number rising.
    Tax cuts for workers.
    He is getting more popular, dont believe me, look at the nielsen tv ratings in US, TV shows that have a anti Trump bias are loosing viewers at a alarming rate.
    WSJ is weekly posting positive stories of Trumps success, they are coming thick and fast, the media can no longer ignore them.

Christy42 wrote: »
    And what way will Donald's voters go? I mean one of the few true things he has said is that he could kill a baby and people would vote for him. People won't care about Manafort getting pardoned. Sure isn't it his right with corrupt Hilary not going to jail etc. etc. As long as he has the support of enough people (remembering the map is quite bad for Democrats and generally speaking they are at a disadvantage in terms of gerrymandering) then the only thing that can stop him is Mueller's investigation.

If enough people just watch Fox News - or their local right wing station then he will be just fine in my opinion. American and the world might not admittedly.

I mean, and I will say in fairness Fox did apologise for it, but I still can't see how it was an accident that when talking about Trump not inviting the Eagles (or at least the very few that could stomach the man) Fox showed pictures of the Eagles kneeling... in prayer but obviously the prayer bit was left off. I mean they had to find something given that Trump once again lied to get out of an embarrassing situation and it is their job to make him look like he is telling the truth.

dublinbuster is right about one thing. We have seen this before and it is never the end of the world. If his supporters don't care, and many never will then the Republicans will back him.

He could stab their children and his hardcore base (estimated at 33%) would vote for him. But there is a significant section that edges towards the middle ground. It is these voters that the GOP need to retain. If The Donald comes under severe pressure in the next few months then many Republicans up for re-election will have to consider how they satisfy those voters who may switch to the Dems or not vote at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Employment number rising.
    Tax cuts for workers.

I hate to say it, but these are the key points.

It doesn't even matter if low unemployment and the tax cuts are temporary, once they last through to the mid-terms Trump will survive. Only a home run by Muller can stop the Trump train at this stage.

It's quite scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Isn't there something also when you pardon someone for a crime they commited they can't plead the 5th anymore as they can't be prosecuted for that crime. So when questioned by FBI etc they have to spill the beans. There is risk to pardoning also, could be wrong but I thought I heard that somewhere

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Ben D Bus wrote: »

It doesn't even matter if low unemployment and the tax cuts are temporary, once they last through to the mid-terms Trump will survive. Only a home run by Muller can stop the Trump train at this stage.

It's quite scary.

It is when the electorate are too stupid or too uneducated to understand what a deficit is. Or worse, if they keep their snouts in the trough knowing that they are destroying their children's future.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean one of the few true things he has said is that he could kill a baby and people would vote for him. .
    Trump never said this.
    You might be getting confused with the democrats pedo pizza conspiracy storys

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Isn't there something also when you pardon someone for a crime they commited they can't plead the 5th anymore as they can't be prosecuted for that crime. So when questioned by FBI etc they have to spill the beans. There is risk to pardoning also, could be wrong but I thought I heard that somewhere

I don't know to be honest. I hope you're right though.

• Advertisement

Ben D Bus wrote: »

It's quite scary.

How is it scary?
    The Democrats with the help of the FBI and CIA tried to rig a election and failed, that the scary thing that you anti Trumpers skip over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement