Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Any evidence of a red tide? Has there been any R vs D 1 v 1 contest where the R has outperformed 2016 numbers?

Talk of a red wave is just stirring the pot as there is no evidence for it and you have not provided any.

Commentators is insanely vague. Any from a station not bought and played for by the right?

The democrats will make gains in November. Whether it is near enough to best the bad map and gerrymandering is yet to be seen. Cali was hardly great in that regard for them but the jungle style primary is weird and would mask some the anti trump vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I think whats happening in California extrapolates out to the nation on many obvious levels ....

1) Dems need to flip 40+ seats to retake the house , they were relying on California to deliver 8 of these, if California doesnt deliver on these wins (take a Rep seat) then the House does not flip. 

2) Theres suppossed to be a blue tide ready to roll come the mid-terms, but at the first oppurtuinity to manifest itself its a no-show, in California (of all places). So yes if low voter turnout and no swing to the democrats is happening in Claifornia, then by all means Democrats should be worried they wont get that swing in other states in Nov, including Florida. 

3) The gas hike (state tax) issue is particular to California, but again its partly reflects the loss of contact Democrats have had with the working/middle class. Who thought it would be a good idea to raise taxs in the state which is already the most expensive state to live in , and not have a backlash at the polls.  Going by the low turnout and no major evidence of a swing, Dems seem have lost touch with the electorate, working and middle class in California and potentially no doubt in other states also, is that a national trend. 

Could we be moving from a blue-tide recovery in November to a potential red-tide sweep to further embolden Trump and the Republican party. Some commentators are talking of a red-sweep.. 
    And if Mueller doesnt deliver on the witch hunt then it may well come to pass. 
    And the Democrats dont seem to have a plan B, they put all their eggs in Plan A - Mueller investigation.

This post doesn't seem to indicate a vast understanding of the California primary system in fairness.

Not to mention it doesn't take some very blue republicans in California into consideration.

Other than turnout, on this morning's polls I don't see anything too far off what was expected in California - the main concern being that pushing for a "blue tide" in the primaries can often have the result of fracturing the vote (particularly in CA's "top 2" system) and allowing a Republican with less support to take a top seat (which appears to have happened in some of the House primaries - eg 48th and 49th district) the Senate was a landslide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Not sure where this idea of CA’s gas hike being an R thing came from.

The president has always owned gas prices, rightly or wrongly. Obama was crucified in his early months due to rising gas prices.

Even conservative media were warning about what would
    happen https://nypost.com/2018/05/08/gas-prices-could-soar-with-us-withdrawing-from-iran-deal/

Fair enough. Here in CA the narrative was “We already have the most expensive gas in CONUS, and you guys in Sacramento have just slapped yet more taxes on it. What the F?”

Combine with “what do you mean, with all this tax on gas, that our roads are broken and you want to use bonds and tolls etc to fix them?” This led to Prop 69, upon which we voted yesterday, which mandates (the problem with props is that they effectively write into the State Constitution) that gas taxes actually be used on transport infrastructure instead of the General State fund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Democrats need to take 23 seats to retake the house majority.

That was in response to point 1 that says they need to flip 40+ seats to retake the house.

I didn't go any further then that after that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

correct , its 23 seats not 40 seats that need to flip. typo ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

How is that a typo? Utter rubbish. :rolleyes: What you did there was a classic trump tactic, make up figures as you go along.
    RIGOLO wrote: »
    correct , its 23 seats not 40 seats that need to flip. typo ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rudy-giuliani-says-kim-jong-un-begged-for-summit-with-trump-on-his-hands-and-knees-report/

More ridiculousness from Giuliani. Wonder if theyre trying to escalate issues to cover up whatever else might be coming on the home front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They simply have no idea about diplomacy or the simple thing of even just keeping our mouth shut.

I assume it's just a usual distraction tactic, say something outlandish and take over the direction of the narrative, it was shooting James Comey last week.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

Christy42 wrote: »
    Apologies. Shoot someone. Now if you are done with the nitpicking? The point stands.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/24/donald-trump-says-he-could-shoot-somebody-and-still-not-lose-voters

More of a quote than a crazy conspiracy theory like the pizza gate nonsense from the right was.

Typical of anti trump lies, Publish front page of paper a BS story, and retract the next day in a small paragraph on page 26.

FBI raids Trumps personal lawyers office, media happy, push it does not fall under lawyer-client privilege, precedent set.
    Pardoning Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Dinesh D'Souza and Scooter Libby, anti Trump media blows a fuse, there will be a few more, the media will push for a end to this and Trump will next come out and say OK i won’t do it any more.
    (he will still have commutation)
    Do you see what is happening?
    Can even most dullest of blades cut through the anti Trump BS and see what is coming down the pipe line?
    Hint what has Mueller and the top people around Trump got in common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

FBI raids Trumps personal lawyers office, media happy, push it does not fall under lawyer-client privilege, precedent set.
    Pardoning Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Dinesh D'Souza and Scooter Libby, anti Trump media blows a fuse, there will be a few more, the media will push for a end to this and Trump will next come out and say OK i won’t do it any more.
    Can even most dullest of blades cut through the anti Trump BS and see what is coming down the pipe line?

Any chance you could rephrase these incoherent ramblings into something a little more hinged? I wouldn't mind responding but I'd like to know what I'm responding to beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

They're all republicans?

On the topic of lies though, the number Trump has told is getting pretty massive. And they are so petty and easily verifiably false. He simply doesn't care for the office he holds or the people he serves. The damage he is doing to the office he holds will take a generation to repair.

Any chance you could rephrase these incoherent ramblings into something a little more hinged? I wouldn't mind responding but I'd like to know what I'm responding to beforehand.
    Trump derangement syndrome, you have to cure yourself if you want to see what is happening

Mueller former director of the FBI, i dare say he know a lot about corruption among the “swamp”.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mueller-was-investigating-trump-adviser-as-unregistered-agent-of-israel-his-wife-says/2018/06/05/8a30b258-68ec-11e8-bea7-c8eb28bc52b1_story.html?utm_term=.952ebb57787a
    Trump baits the media , the media go hard on the “Mueller investigation must not be hindered in any way, it must get to the truth no matter what”
    How many US lawmakers(the swamp) have dual US and Israel citizenship?

Trump derangement syndrome has left people unable to see what is happening

They're all republicans?

On the topic of lies though, the number Trump has told is getting pretty massive. And they are so petty and easily verifiably false. He simply doesn't care for the office he holds or the people he serves. The damage he is doing to the office he holds will take a generation to repair.

Trump is baiting the media, they respond as expected, they demand that the law is not impeded, "Justice must be done".
    They wont be able to make excuses when the hammer finally drops, they will get exactly what they have being clamouring for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I
    Have
    No
    Idea
    What
    He
    Is
    Saying

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mueller former director of the FBI, i dare say he know a lot about corruption among the “swamp”.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mueller-was-investigating-trump-adviser-as-unregistered-agent-of-israel-his-wife-says/2018/06/05/8a30b258-68ec-11e8-bea7-c8eb28bc52b1_story.html?utm_term=.952ebb57787a
    Trump baits the media , the media go hard on the “Mueller investigation must not be hindered in any way, it must get to the truth no matter what”

Trump derangement syndrome has left people unable to see what is happening

You're going to have to help me out here as none of those sentences seem to belong together?

What has "Trump baits the media" got to do with how many US lawmakers hold dual US/Israeli citizenship??

everlast75 wrote: »
    I
    Have
    No
    Idea
    What
    He
    Is
    Saying
    Trump derangement syndrome,
    A mental dysfunction causing those detractors with hateful thoughts and feelings about Donald Trump to go unhinged.

It will be glorious to see the reaction when the penny finally drops for those afflicted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Trump is baiting the media, they respond as expected, they demand that the law is not impeded, "Justice must be done".
    They wont be able to make excuses when the hammer finally drops, they will get exactly what they have being clamouring for.

Impeachment??

Awesome!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Trump derangement syndrome, A mental dysfunction causing those detractors with hateful thoughts and feelings about Donald Trump to go unhinged.

It's clearly obvious he has npd(narcissistic personality disorder) and possibly some other issues

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    You're going to have to help me out here as none of those sentences seem to belong together?

What has "Trump baits the media" got to do with how many US lawmakers hold dual US/Israeli citizenship??

Trump "i will drain the swamp" basic tactics

Trump says certain things to get the reaction he wants from the media, the media are full on the war path that justice must be done, there can be no interference, those who broke the law must be punished, no if ands or buts.
    He has baited the media now with presidential pardons, watch as the media responds as Trump wants, the media are going to push hard that Trump should not issue pardons, Trump will "reluctantly" agree.
    Did you read the Washington post story?
    Do you see Mueller is not interested in Russia?
    What do Mueller and the top people surrounding Trump have in common?
    Former FBI director Mueller would know all about "the swamp", but unless he got the nod from higher ups he could not go after them, he was chosen, he got the nod from Trump.
    Take a step back, take of the blinkers, see what is unfolding before our eyes, it will be talked about is the same reverence as Cicero and Machiavelli.
    Laugh all you want, but bookmark this page, come back when it happens and be forever humbled, that the media pulled the wool over your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

everlast75 wrote: »
    I
    Have
    No
    Idea
    What
    He
    Is
    Saying

He is trying to say that Trump is playing chess and that he is getting the media to say things about justice needing to be done so when allegations are made against left wing people the media will have to also support their prosecution.

What he and most Trump supporters fail to see is that conspiracy theories like Pizzagate and Uranium One or outright lies like Spygate are not actually supported by anything concrete like the clear corruption within Trumps family and administration.

What he and his people also don't understand is that nobody will be bothered if Clinton is indicted on some conspiracy charges if actual evidence is there to support it. She is not an "emperorgod". She is not even relevant to most people other than Trump supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

So many words, yet none forming a coherent sentence! Utterly bizarre postings/ravings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Phonehead wrote: »
    So many words, yet none forming a coherent sentence! Utterly bizarre postings/ravings.

Yes, I agree. It's very hard to read it on a phone without getting a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Apologies. Shoot someone. Now if you are done with the nitpicking? The point stands.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/24/donald-trump-says-he-could-shoot-somebody-and-still-not-lose-voters

More of a quote than a crazy conspiracy theory like the pizza gate nonsense from the right was.

Typical of anti trump lies, Publish front page of paper a BS story, and retract the next day in a small paragraph on page 26.
    Link to a retraction of the above? Rhetorical question I don't expect you to actually give evidence of anything. Previous posters following the same tactics haven't.
    I wonder if you are more annoying to those who are more sympathetic to the Republican cause given they likely don't want to be associated with these ramblings.

Speaking of retractions has Trump retracted his lies about the Eagles yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

A sane estimate of what Rudy said is that he's angling to upset NK enough for it to walk away from the Singapore talks and give Don reason to point his finger at them again as peace-breakers.

In the meantime Don allegedly told Trudeau that the reason he included Canada as a threat to US National Security and imposed tariffs on it is that Canada burnt down the White House in 1812. The remark was reportedly made during a phone chat between them about the tariffs. It was the British who burnt down the White House supposedly in retaliation for a US attack on a British installation but what do historical facts matter when it comes to Don and the US's international partners who've put boots on the ground alongside US forces in Afghanistan.

He is trying to say that Trump is playing chess and that he is getting the media to say things about justice needing to be done so when allegations are made against left wing people the media will have to also support their prosecution.

What he and most Trump supporters fail to see is that conspiracy theories like Pizzagate and Uranium One or outright lies like Spygate are not actually supported by anything concrete like the clear corruption within Trumps family and administration.

What he and his people also don't understand is that nobody will be bothered if Clinton is indicted on some conspiracy charges if actual evidence is there to support it. She is not an "emperorgod". She is not even relevant to most people other than Trump supporters.
    Trump derangement syndrome is preventing many from looking at the real investigation that Mueller is pursuing
    Take 10 minutes and read the following tip of the ice berg,Trump has baited the media, they are baying for blood, demanding that no one is above the law, Trump will keep baiting them , they will be in a frenzy and BOOM, the hammer will drop, they won’t be able to spin their way out of it.

CNN the most anti Trump new outlet you will find
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/05/politics/andrew-mccabe-immunity-grassley/index.html

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/doj-watchdog-finds-comey-defied-authority-fbi-director/story?id=55670834

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/05/demoted-fbi-agent-peter-strzok-had-larger-role-in-clinton-russia-probes-than-previously-known.html

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/saudi-government-gave-obama-aides-suitcases-full-jewels-says-ex-official-816843061

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump "i will drain the swamp" basic tactics

Trump says certain things to get the reaction he wants from the media, the media are full on the war path that justice must be done, there can be no interference, those who broke the law must be punished, no if ands or buts.

He has baited the media now with presidential pardons, watch as the media responds as Trump wants, the media are going to push hard that Trump should not issue pardons, Trump will "reluctantly" agree.

OK - I can sort of see the incredibly tenuous thread you are pulling at there. However there is absolutely nothing in ~50 yrs of Trump in the public eye to suggest that he is capable of that(any) level of advance thinking/planning on that sort of scale.
    Did you read the Washington post story?
    Do you see Mueller is not interested in Russia?

I did read the story , I don't get that AT ALL from it.. What I get is that Mueller will follow any lead , regardless of where it might take him to find illegal activity. He has charged Papadopolous with engaging with Russians , he may also charge him with acting illegally with Israelis , the two are not mutually exclusive in anyway.

What I also get is that it's a public plea from Papadopolous' Lawyer wife for Trump to pardon him.. Nothing more..

What do Mueller and the top people surrounding Trump have in common?
    Former FBI director Mueller would know all about "the swamp", but unless he got the nod from higher ups he could not go after them, he was chosen, he got the nod from Trump.
    You think that Mueller is a Trump/GOP Plant???

Now that is one hell of a leap...

Take a step back, take of the blinkers, see what is unfolding before our eyes, it will be talked about is the same reverence as Cicero and Machiavelli.
    Laugh all you want, but bookmark this page, come back when it happens and be forever humbled, that the media pulled the wool over your eyes.

Machiavellian? Trump? Seriously?

Link to a retraction of the above? Rhetorical question I don't expect you to actually give evidence of anything. Previous posters following the same tactics haven't.
    I wonder if you are more annoying to those who are more sympathetic to the Republican cause given they likely don't want to be associated with these ramblings.

Speaking of retractions has Trump retracted his lies about the Eagles yet?

The standard anti Trump media tactic is big lie lead story and retract at a latter date.
    People remember the headline, might not even know of the retraction, hence Trump derangement syndrome
    https://theintercept.com/2017/12/09/the-u-s-media-yesterday-suffered-its-most-humiliating-debacle-in-ages-now-refuses-all-transparency-over-what-happened/

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    However there is absolutely nothing in ~50 yrs of Trump in the public eye to suggest that he is capable of that(any) level of advance thinking/planning on that sort of scale.

You dont make billions of $$$$ by being a complete idiot
    Muller and top people around Trump have what in common?
    Its all there to see for those willing to see, Trump derangement syndrome prevents them from seeing what is happening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement