Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Part of me would love to get a full, unabashed POV from Trump, because for him this must be a totally alien, hostile landscape that arguably scares the bejesus outta him; a world of diplomacy and careful, precision discussions. That dance of politics where so much is unsaid, the lightest touch required for larger results. Mutual compromises where in the classic definition of diplomacy, everyone doesn't quite get what they wanted.

It must be the total antithesis to his mentality & approach to business; I've said it before but it's no wonder he has such grá for the Dutertes of this world, as they clearly match to his style of business leadership - me at the top, everyone else scrabbling below me, desperately trying to please. The Apprentice alone should have told us all we need to know how he'd approach governance, it was there on primetime TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭josip

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given all that's happening this side of the pond via Brexit, it makes for an interesting, if scary, thought experiment for the drive-by posters here that champion Trump: how would the Good Friday Agreement have gone under a Trump Administration?

He would have had neither the patience nor attention to detail to even get involved in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭briany

pixelburp wrote: »
    Part of me would love to get a full, unabashed POV from Trump, because for him this must be a totally alien, hostile landscape that arguably scares the bejesus outta him; a world of diplomacy and careful, precision discussions. That dance of politics where so much is unsaid, the lightest touch required for larger results. Mutual compromises where in the classic definition of diplomacy, everyone doesn't quite get what they wanted.

I wouldn't say it's a totally alien world. Trump was well able to schmooze politicians back when the world knew him as a somewhat colourful property tycoon from New York. He was even great friends with the Clintons. I think he has an awareness of how political games are traditionally played, he's just very consciously choosing not to play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think I’m trump’s mind there’s no such thing as a deal that can benefit both sides. The way he sees it there always has to be a winner and a loser, and if he doesn’t see himself as the clear winner he just torpedoes the whole thing. A sort of “if I’m not winning then we’re all losing” type attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is he lying when he says he has not prepared for the meeting and will he lie when (if) he enters into any agreement with NK?

And will NK also be lying on their side so that any agreement will just amount to kicking the can down the road?

Apart from that,well I am just puzzled and
    anxious about the whole situation.

I would normally be wishing ill on both sides but we do not have that luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Trudeau shouldn't be so two faced, should have spoke up during the actual meeting instead of waiting for Trump to leave to make some noise. Merkel and others will stand up to him face to face and let Trump know where he stands, why can't Trudeau? The answer is obvious I think.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Trudeau shouldn't be so two faced, should have spoke up during the actual meeting instead of waiting for Trump to leave to make some noise. Merkel and others will stand up to him face to face and let Trump know where he stands, why can't Trudeau? The answer is obvious I think.

The answer is obvious - if you're the sort of person who takes Trumps claims at face value.

And, if you're the sort of person who takes the claims of a proven pathological liar at face value, your opinions can be safely ignored, frankly.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The answer is obvious - if you're the sort of person who takes Trumps claims at face value.

And, if you're the sort of person who takes the claims of a proven pathological liar at face value, your opinions can be safely ignored, frankly.

Say it's not so, Politicians lie?? THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION! Thanks for keeping me woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kal7

Where are the sensible republicans, too scared to speak out. He will upset world economy, for misguided notions.

Trade is no a zero sum game, i win you loose,as Trump thinks.

would love to see G7 slap some serious trade tarriffs on US. See how that works for the super US economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Say it's not so, Politicians lie?? THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION! Thanks for keeping me woke.

It's amazing how Trump supporters stick to the narcissists prayer. That would be line 3.

That didn't happen.
    And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
    And if it was, that's not a big deal.
    And if it is, that's not my fault.
    And if it was, I didn't mean it.
    And if I did...
    You deserved it.

• Advertisement

It's amazing how Trump supporters stick to the narcissists prayer. That would be line 3.

What's amazing is how people are allowed to be insulted in this forum without punishment for simply having a different opinion. Stick to your echo chambers, remember, everyone agrees with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

kal7 wrote: »
    Where are the sensible republicans, too scared to speak out.

Jeff Flake tweeted about what happened in the media this morning

https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/1005886122440970242?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Just following the daily crap show that trump provides. Please provide us with postive Trump Stories if you can. No one has stopped you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭derb12

Spare me the faux outrage - Trudeau said the tariffs were insulting to Canada before the summit as well - it was widely reported https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/03/justin-trudeau-donald-trump-tariffs-insulting-us-canada-alliance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

But wait... I thought the whole point of Project Trump was that isn't a politician? That he 'tells it like it is'... not a sad coward who waits till he is safely ensconced on his publicly funded jet to whine about how the big bad bullies mistreated him?

You don't mean to tell me Twumpy is a special snowflake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don has done the US some dis-service with his attitude to it's trading partners. He's lying off the top of his head with his talk of being insulted by Trudeau. I can't expect any thinking adult in the US to believe what he said about the G6 meeting outcome. I expect [hope] him to be sitting on the sidelines in Singapore and letting the Pro's do the deal for him to sign in public. I wouldn't put it past him to wreck any chance of a deal with his "understanding" of deal making.

As for Navarro, welcome to another swamp resident, if it was him who said Trudeau stebbed the US in the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hurrache wrote: »

Its easy for Flake to speak out, he's leaving. The Repugnants won't generally say a word about Trump, they'll just take cover under his hailstorm of bull**** and keep passing their crappy agenda. It's a brutal time for the American nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hurrache wrote: »

I just saw a clip of that Fox interview. The venomous way Navarro said those words was quite something.
    I had to wonder if he felt obliged to speak in this way in light of the language used by his tweeting boss. Because otherwise it's his real opinion and this is what is being whispered in Trump' s ear.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Say it's not so, Politicians lie??

Politicians lie. Pathological liars are psychologically incapable of telling the truth. And slavish devotees are incapable of figuring out the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

Trump loves burning bridges and causing chaos. Never thought I’d see the day when the president of the USA openly derides and insults the Canadian PM. And of course the Mexican president too over the last few months.
    Anyone wearing false eyebrows as Truedeau seems to be wearing deserves it.
    Soy Boy in the extreme ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What's amazing is how people are allowed to be insulted in this forum without punishment for simply having a different opinion. Stick to your echo chambers, remember, everyone agrees with you.

A. Who was insulted?
    B. Why do you think this is a safe space?
    C. Why do you need a safe space?
    D. Very obviously not an echo chamber
    E. Would you like an echo chamber so that everybody shares your opinion and agrees with you all the time?

Trump lies pathologically. This is self evident at this point, to hear two different stories come out after a meeting. One from a pathological liar, and one from a garden variety politician the balance of probability points to the garden variety politician being just that and the pathological liar staying true to form.

To espouse that the pathological liar is worthy of being taken at face value and his version of events is the most likely, that the other guy is being two faced and cowardly so readily betrays a barely concealed agenda with no critical analysis applied whatsoever.

Honestly, you don't need a safe space. It would do you good to apply some critical thinking when you approach a topic imho, or at the very least just forget any pretense to the contrary.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

A picture paints a thousand words.

YEBVFRMJMIY4BNIYYQNL3THAHA.jpg

Abe in the middle: "I tried to warn him it wasn't gonna work...."

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Well that G7 went pretty much as expected. With the major talking point being the post-summit spat between T-squared, Trump and Trudeau.
    But lets not forget Trudeau, his party and Canada in general have plenty internal issues of their own

The G7 summit wasn’t the only place where Trump and Trudeau passed each other by, they may also soon pass each other by in the approval rating polls if current trends continue.
    As Trumps approval rating continues a slow but never the less upward trajectory, Trudeaus approval rating continues its downward trajectory with his Liberal party hitting a new low of 44%.  
    If an election were to be held today, Trudeau and his Liberals party would be out of office.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4104673/trudeau-liberals-approval-rating-down/

The Canadian immigration problem is getting worse , with a growth from 20,000 to near 60,000 illegal immigrants this year. http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/malcolm-immigration-program-getting-worse-under-trudeau
    That’s a rather large issue he must address with many Canadians still upset over the famous ‘Trudeau immigration tweet’

Plus Trudeaus statesmanship, diplomacy and ‘strength’ had been called into question previously following his diplomatically disastrous PR trip to India. https://globalnews.ca/news/4043736/trudeau-india-trip-debacle/
    Has Trudeau decided to ditch his ‘funky socks’ diplomacy https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/the-year-in-justin-trudeaus-socks/  for a new ‘strong man’ image. Question is can he play that game.

So Trudeau is on the look out for a ‘win’ , he needs one domestically at least, for some reason he is a poster child of liberals worldwide and can do no wrong, but in the country for whom he actually works for, he has lost a lot of his gloss. He needs a tick in his win column and seems to think he can get one on the trade and Trump wars.

Trudeau and Trump are now well and truly locked in an arm-wrestle, and time will tell if Trudeaus gamble to play hard-ball will pay off at home in Canada. Its probable he will still remain a figure of adoration abroad as many people don’t consider his domestic performance when viewing his overall performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,424 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Madagascan wrote: »

Yeah this is the stuff that matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

All I got from the g7 was trump doing a trump and running away when the adults in the room start talking.

I can't wait for the next president apologising about trump to the world. That is going to happen. Trump's legacy will be one of embarrassment to the United States. I really have never seen such a repulsive individual take office over there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Well that G7 went pretty much as expected. With the major talking point being the post-summit spat between T-squared, Trump and Trudeau.
    But lets not forget Trudeau, his party and Canada in general have plenty internal issues of their own

The G7 summit wasn’t the only place where Trump and Trudeau passed each other by, they may also soon pass each other by in the approval rating polls if current trends continue.
    As Trumps approval rating continues a slow but never the less upward trajectory, Trudeaus approval rating continues its downward trajectory with his Liberal party hitting a new low of 44%.  
    If an election were to be held today, Trudeau and his Liberals party would be out of office.

The Canadian immigration problem is getting worse , with a growth from 20,000 to near 60,000 illegal immigrants this year. http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/malcolm-immigration-program-getting-worse-under-trudeau
    That’s a rather large issue he must address with many Canadians still upset over the famous ‘Trudeau immigration tweet’

Plus Trudeaus statesmanship, diplomacy and ‘strength’ had been called into question previously following his diplomatically disastrous PR trip to India. https://globalnews.ca/news/4043736/trudeau-india-trip-debacle/
    Has Trudeau decided to ditch his ‘funky socks’ diplomacy https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/the-year-in-justin-trudeaus-socks/  for a new ‘strong man’ image. Question is can he play that game.

So Trudeau is on the look out for a ‘win’ , he needs one domestically at least, for some reason he is a poster child of liberals worldwide and can do no wrong, but in the country for whom he actually works for, he has lost a lot of his gloss. He needs a tick in his win column and seems to think he can get one on the trade and Trump wars.

Trudeau and Trump are now well and truly locked in an arm-wrestle, and time will tell if Trudeaus gamble to play hard-ball will pay off at home in Canada. Its probable he will still remain a figure of adoration abroad as many people don’t consider his domestic performance when viewing his overall performance.

The attacks on those that oppose Trump is weirdly predictable. None of this is related to Trump or Trump's comments on Trudeau. It always happens the same way. Trump has a spat with someone, he is initially defended, people realise the other person was telling the truth and then we see attacks against them on unrelated issues that shift the conversation away.

By the way they have not passed each other in opinion polls. Trump is still about 41% https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Nor is it even going up having dropped slightly in recent weeks. Overall Trump's approval rating has been going up and down in a narrow band for quite some time now.

On a lighter note Fox and Friends make a slip up referring to the Singapore meeting as a meeting between two dictators https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jun/10/a-fox-news-host-has-accidentally-referred-to-the-highly-anticipated-summit-between-president-donald-trump-and-north-korean-leader-kim-jong-un-as-a-meeting-of-two-dictators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

RIGOLO wrote: »

So basically Trudeau is out of control since his approval ratings are so low and willing to lie and cheat to try to make himself look hard and tough on the international stage for the consumption of his native audience.

Luckily we have Trump who we know would never operate like that and only makes decisions that put America first rather than himself.

Seriously, simply change the name on your post to Trump and you have basically just posted a big criticism of Trump. How can you not see how hypocritical your posts appear?

Still waiting for the figures Trump spews about unfair trade to be "fact checked".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Madagascan wrote: »

What is a soy boy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,424 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What is a soy boy?

Without even googling it - my guess is something of an alt right darkened room internet warrior type thing that is used to question someone's masculinity..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement