Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

eagle eye wrote: »
    Trump certainly deserves credit for this. To the best of my knowledge there was nothing about this mentioned before he became President.

I haven't been following things stateside lately. How is the economy doing? Last I heard it was improving.

Well if you admit to not knowing how things are going over in the States, try googling Mueller, indictments, the word "scandals", etc etc and that will tell you all you need to know.

This is a moment of unbelievable honesty by Trump. Tells you all you need to know about him

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1006473156868091904?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,770 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

weisses wrote:
    It had to do with the speed NK developed their nukes ... Trump happens to be the president that has to deal with Kim because of this
    Are you saying that this just happened since Trump took office?
    weisses wrote:
    Its great like ..... Improving since Obama

When did it start improving? What was put in place by the Obama administration to turn things around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Getting a meeting with North Korea was never a problem, having a meeting which sacrafices the legitimizing of the Leadership of NK on an international stage was always the issue. The concessions from NK would need to be huge.

I listened to that video and he never said he trusted him but that is what is written on the tweet.
    Then he joked that he might never admit it and that is put in the tweet as a serious quote.
    I used to laugh at Trump's fake news accusations but that there makes it seem like it's actually fake news or at least twisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

No ..The outcome was already known for years ... Trump just happened to be the president in charge

When did it start improving? What was put in place by the Obama administration to turn things around?

Maybe this graph of the Dow jones helps a bit

The US was in a recession when he took over from Bush

_99671722_usdowjonesfinak.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

The US has had constant growth since 2010

That graph shows a sharp rise in the last 18 months which suggests that something changed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I listened to that video and he never said he trusted him but that is what is written on the tweet.
    Then he joked that he might never admit it and that is put in the tweet as a serious quote.
    I used to laugh at Trump's fake news accusations but that there makes it seem like it's actually fake news or at least twisted.

That is why it is not in quotes. "I think, honestly, he is going to do these things" implies that he trusts him.

So you're now complaining both about a section of tweet that paraphrases him, and a section of the tweet that quotes him verbatim.

Podge_irl wrote:
    That is why it is not in quotes. "I think, honestly, he is going to do these things" implies that he trusts him.

Podge_irl wrote:
    So you're now complaining both about a section of tweet that paraphrases him, and a section of the tweet that quotes him verbatim.

He said it as a joke, let people know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That graph shows a sharp rise in the last 18 months which suggests that something changed.
    Yeah samples of US voters show a majority crediting Trump on the economy. Which is a change from say a year ago. More than any other variable will be the one that has the major impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

Why are you moving the goalposts

You asked when did the economy started to improve ... I gave you a Handy graph and you decide to change tack and focus on the last 18 months :rolleyes:

But in regards to what changed in the last 18 months ?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/15/donald-trump-adds-1-trillion-national-debt-14-mont/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Phonehead wrote: »
    Getting a meeting with North Korea was never a problem, having a meeting which sacrafices the legitimizing of the Leadership of NK on an international stage was always the issue. The concessions from NK would need to be huge.

Bang on.

Trump supporters are desperate for a win, regardless of any detail or visible issue or error.

Any complaining is bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Obama had expressed an openess to meet Kim. He was slaughtered.

When did it start improving? Going on for a record equaling 10th year soon enough I believe. Been improving for 9 years at this point.

What was put in place is kind of a strange question to want answered in short form. Lots of things basically over an 8 year term.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Error paraphrasing. As shown by the lack of quote marks. "I believe he will do it" is the quote. He trusts Kim to keep his end of the bargain. The tweet is fine. Had he said trust the word would be in quote marks. The fact that it is not tells us there is paraphrasing going on.

Trump joking about excuses is like Putin joking about killing a journalist. Everyone knows they are willing to do it no matter the way it is said. It also does not state this context is serious.

They even helpfully link the video so people can get context to the headline quote.

Good to know a single tweet made you go a full 180 on the whole "fake news" thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So trump has gotten an agreement with North Korea. If this was the first such agreement you'd say fair enough there's substance to this. The US has gotten assurances from North Korea before and nothing happened. Also Kim Jung un has got what money can't buy and that is recognition on an equal standing with not just the USA but then world. He walked around Singapore and it was covered on America news channels more or less live.

I think it's a bit early to be cracking open the champagne as the devil is in the detail of how the things agreed to by NK will be implemented and more importantly independently verified. The phrase actions speak louder than words is appropriate here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yes, he borrowed an additional 1+ trillion dollars.

And his tax breaks will cost the tax payer up to 2 trillion dollars.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

sanctions people , sanctions, the sanctions are still in place with NK. 
    A meeting has been held, a historic handshake, invitations have been extended, broad statements issued, with detaisl to follow , and further meetings to follow, what an achievement . 
    6 months ago ICBMs where flying across the South east pacific, and 60 kilotons detonations under mountains in NK and now we have a detente. 
    I dont see any desperation by posters looking for a Trump win... there have been so many wins for Trump in such a short space of time , I would say its impossible for any reasoned person to ignore them, but some posters here are proving me wrong and still ignoring mammouth achievements. ISIS Caliphate dismantled, stock market record highs, unemployment record lows, opioid epidemic being addressed, trade imbalance actions, tax cuts implemented , buisness deregulation, corporation assests repatriation , the list goes on...
    The mid-terms are looking like a lock in now, if economy continues to rally, I cant see the Democrats winning back the House and they have no chance of winning the senate. 
    By the way can anyone state what the policys and agenda of the Democratic party is now .
    Other than them saying we are not Trump, do they have a policy based approach for winning back the minds of American voters ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

RIGOLO wrote: »
    sanctions people , sanctions, the sanctions are still in place with NK. 
    A meeting has been held, a historic handshake, invitations have been extended, broad statements issued, with detaisl to follow , and further meetings to follow, what an achievement . 
    6 months ago ICBMs where flying across the South east pacific, and 60 kilotons detonations under mountains in NK and now we have a detente. 
    I dont see any desperation by posters looking for a Trump win... there have been so many wins for Trump in such a short space of time , I would say its impossible for any reasoned person to ignore them, but some posters here are proving me wrong and still ignoring mammouth achievements. ISIS Caliphate dismantled, stock market record highs, unemployment record lows, opioid epidemic being addressed, trade imbalance actions, tax cuts implemented , buisness deregulation, corporation assests repatriation , the list goes on...
    The mid-terms are looking like a lock in now, if economy continues to rally, I cant see the Democrats winning back the House and they have no chance of winning the senate. 
    By the way can anyone state what the policys and agenda of the Democratic party is now .
    Other than them saying we are not Trump, do they have a policy based approach for winning back the minds of American voters ?

Debt is at an all new high too. Why is the national debt increasing so much if the economy is doing great?

Then there's Trumps involvement with the pedo ring based in a pizza place.

" Why is the national debt increasing so much if the economy is doing so great ? "   

Thats the sort of question someone who neither understands the drivers for US Treasuries nor economic indicators, asks. 
    Ask the Chinese they cant get enough of the US 2-10 year notes.   
    Meanwhile regarding the economic indicators , the one you want high are high (index values) the ones you want low are low (unemployment) ..
    Its all good. Dont worry about Trumps tax cuts, the amount is a pittance in the scale of US macro-economics and is just one tool in the arsenal Trump has and more importantly is using to manage the economy, and should not be looked at in isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The stock exchange is up because Trump gave them massive tax decreases. 15% in one go. He is also getting rid of regulations, the regulations that were brought in after the crash the last GOP POTUS stood over.

ISIS caliphate is dismantled. Well its not, but it is clearly weakened. But what has Trump done to achieve this? What has he done that is different?
    Unemployment - It is welcome that the unemployment rate has continued to reduce, in line with the measures put in place by Obama over the previous 8 years. In addition, given the massive tax cuts given by Trump I would have expected more. But this is welcome.
    Opioid Epidemic being addressed. You'll have to educate me on that one. I know he has made a point of discussing it, but what actual steps has he taken? Has funding increased, I know KAC has been charged with overseeing it but I have yet to see any major announcements.
    Trade imbalance actions. I assume you are talking about tariffs here. But none of his facts stack up, he hasn't given any outline of what he actually wants. With almost full employment, how will the US make all the things that they will no longer buy from the likes of China? Are US consumers prepared to pay out more for the goods that were previously cheaper (like steel prices increasing causing increases in cost of cars)?
    Tax Cuts implemented. This is a success if you are in the areas that they were targeted. So the rich looking to pass on their assets, corporates looking to give out more to shareholders. But a minimum wager? The costs of these tax cuts are extremely high and there is very little details on how they intend to pay for them.
    Business deregulation - well this all depends on POV. Is getting rid of consumer protections good? what about the need to properly manage waste? But in every government there are regulations that are passed their usefulness or just wrong. But Trump seems to be of the view that regulation is wrong, not specific regulations.

But you are quite correct in that the economy will drive the results of the election. If the GOP can maintain the illusion that they have found the magic money tree then they will do well. If, however, the chickens start to come home to roost then they will be in trouble. I don't think that will happen in time for the mid-terms though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

RIGOLO wrote:
    Thats the sort of question someone who neither understands the drivers for US Treasuries nor economic indicators, asks. Ask the Chinese they cant get enough of the US 2-10 year notes. Meanwhile regarding the economic indicators , the one you want high are high (index values) the ones you want low are low (unemployment) .. Its all good. Dont worry about Trumps tax cuts, the amount is a pittance in the scale of US macro-economics and is just one tool in the arsenal Trump has and more importantly is using to manage the economy, and should not be looked at in isolation.

Good ould neoclassical theory and it's 'indicator metrics'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

" Why is the national debt increasing so much if the economy is doing so great ? "   

Thats the sort of question someone who neither understands the drivers for US Treasuries nor economic indicators, asks. 
    Ask the Chinese they cant get enough of the US 2-10 year notes.   
    Meanwhile regarding the economic indicators , the one you want high are high (index values) the ones you want low are low (unemployment) ..
    Its all good. Dont worry about Trumps tax cuts, the amount is a pittance in the scale of US macro-economics and is just one tool in the arsenal Trump has and more importantly is using to manage the economy, and should not be looked at in isolation.

You are saying you know but you won't tell me. It's a waste of time trying to even read the drivel you come out with. Most Americans would struggle with a $1000 expense. You would think with those tax cuts the average American should be rolling in money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So... Nobel Peace Prize for the donald?

The stock exchange is up because Trump gave them massive tax decreases.  " 
    Thats the sort of statement someone who does'nt understand what drives the markets , makes. 

Markets are up due to , in no particular order a combination of , interest rates, fixed income curve, European outlook, defense spending , share buybacks, geopolitical outlook, unemployment rates, wage earnings rates, future earnings, consumer confidence, emerging markets outlooks  and a bunch of other things . 

But if it helps you understand a complex entity by saying its purely down to tax cuts, then nothing I can do to stop you. 

Its only 'drivel' if you dont uderstand it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

ELM327 wrote: »
    So... Nobel Peace Prize for the donald?

For tearing up the Iran deal? Walking away from the Paris accord? Infuriating Palestinians by unnecessarily moving the US embassy? Threatening and insulting all of the US's major allies? Increasing the number of civilian deaths and the number of airstrikes in Syria? Yeah. No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Thats the sort of statement someone who does'nt understand what drives the markets , makes. 

Markets are up due to , in no particular order a combination of , interest rates, fixed income curve, European outlook, defense spending , share buybacks, geopolitical outlook, unemployment rates, wage earnings rates, future earnings, consumer confidence, emerging markets outlooks  and a bunch of other things . 

But if it helps you understand a complex entity by saying its purely down to tax cuts, then nothing I can do to stop you. 

You keep hinting at some exceptional knowledge of the stock market and you have yet to share it.

This is not the first time I have seen buzz words bandied about here to explain all and sundry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So you are agreeing that tax cuts would have an effect as they would clearly impact future earnings.

Of course the stock markets are not just based on a single item, which makes me question why you use it as a positive for Trump since many of those items you listed are totally outside of his control.

So which is it? Is the stock market up because of Trump, for which a major plank of that was the massive cut in corporate tax rates, or is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,086 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

he's doing enough to be re-elected anyway

For tearing up the Iran deal? Walking away from the Paris accord? Infuriating Palestinians by unnecessarily moving the US embassy? Threatening and insulting all of the US's major allies? Increasing the number of civilian deaths and the number of airstrikes in Syria? Yeah. No brainer.

It seems to me that he intends to put Merkel in her place which imo would be no bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It seems to me that he intends to put Merkel in her place which imo would be no bad thing.

What does that list have to do specifically with Merkel? :confused:

Why does she need to be put in her place?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement