Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Ranting and raving about a foreign leader everyday for the past 18 months is normal "opposition" is it? I'd say it's you lot who have the personality disorder.

You've spent the last two years being wrong, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Ranting and raving about a foreign leader everyday for the past 18 months is normal "opposition" is it? I'd say it's you lot who have the personality disorder.

How many incarnations have you had over the 18 months?
    I think that might be in the DSM itself - maybe it's 'you lot' who have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You've spent the last two years being wrong, get over it.

That's why Trump supporters prefer to complain about criticism of Trump than actually defend him. Trump keeps getting caught out and their defence of him ends up looking ill-advised and often silly. They're afraid of getting caught out and having to close their accounts and starting a new one. It's safer, albeit more cowardly to just criticise the criticism of Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Phonehead wrote: »
    Discussing the actions of the President of the USA in a thread dedicated to his Presidency in a Politics forum :confused:

But the fact that you have to attack the posters and not defend him, this tells me that you can't actually defend what is being discussed.

If you any ounce of integrity or honesty you'd see my post was in response to certain posters calling those who have differing opinions as cult like among other insults, you chose to overlook that though. It's always the same, hypocritical posts following by the moral high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Criticism of the leader is a mental illness now?

Now? Were you asleep for all of the "librulizm is mentul disordur" hollering?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

1) Absolutely zero notes, tapes or anything maintained to document what was said or agreed.
    2) Trump showed Kim a 2 minute amateur hour video on his iPad which projected what life would be like after denuclearization. LOL and they used a production companies logo who had zero input into the video. Said company was quick to heavily criticize “The whole enterprise reeks of amateurism and comes off as an attempt to check the box on a harebrained idea that presumably originated in the oval office.”
    Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

If you any ounce of integrity or honesty you'd see my post was in response to certain posters calling those who have differing opinions as cult like among other insults, you chose to overlook that though. It's always the same, hypocritical posts following by the moral high ground.

Hilarious that you use such emotive terms yet you don't expect the same from your President. Also you didn't quote anyone and posted directly after my comment.........

Also. it's impossible to attach your comment as response to anyone else's!!! You made a statement, stop being dishonest just because I highlighted how foolish your statement was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Arrest looks like its incoming for Cohen. Expect the usual tweet storm from trump. Maybe this will be the catalyst that gets things (finally) moving along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

.. Maybe this will be the catalyst that gets things (finally) moving along.

The fear is -

1. This is the new normal.
    Is there a straw that will break the camel's back? At any other time, there is enough scandal to have seen off half a dozen Presidents.
    These days? Not so sure.

2. The GOP will cling on till they have no other choice but to shift all the blame onto Trump, and will swiftly convert with appropriate zeal to Pence, to swoop in and 'cleanse' the party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

You're the person voicing support for the man who's policies would hurt us. Why do you hate your own country?

We're too PC, now we're not PC enough. re we supposed to say it as it is or not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

2 Scoops will be taking a break from this forum.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

There truly is a tweet for everything.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/404926289569939456?s=19

It's proof that his supporters don't care what he says, they will support it, despite it being a contradiction of what he has said before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Discussing the actions of the President of the USA in a thread dedicated to his Presidency in a Politics forum :confused:

But the fact that you have to attack the posters and not defend him, this tells me that you can't actually defend what is being discussed.

What is actually being discussed here? Besides the musings of some posters and link dumps the only other thing going on in this thread is a burning desire for Trump to crash and burn. Let's not pretend and call this any form of political analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

VonZan wrote: »
    What is actually being discussed here? Besides the musings of some posters and link dumps the only other thing going on in this thread is a burning desire for Trump to crash and burn. Let's not pretend and call this any form of political analysis.

Why not put forward some political analysis of your own?

VonZan wrote: »

Trump supporters complain about the media criticising Trump every day.

How about he doesn't **** everything up, rather than complain about the media calling him on it?

Same here.

What is being discussed here? Perhaps the factual analysis of the policies which he is implementing with focus on the details.

If you are looking to make comments which are bland broad strokes and generalities of how fantastic he is, you're gonna find those posts getting checked and questioned.

I promise you i will congratulate him as soon as he manages to do something right.

Depressingly, I'm still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Nox

How about getting the hostages back? Is that correct enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Nox wrote: »
    How about getting the hostages back? Is that correct enough?

Yes it is but what did actually do to gwt them back? It seems that he agreed to meet Kim without preconditions (or post conditions based on the agreement).

Thats great, but it flies in the face of all previous administrations and doesn't really fit wirh MAGA.

And are people really happy that part of the price for getting them back was for POTUS to completely legitimise one of the worst dictatorships on the planet?

You will note that the US didn't ask for compensation from NK for the myriad of abuses that were undertaken on these hostages.

Now, if that is the new policy then fine. I am not trying to argue the other way is better. But is that really what people thought they were getting with Trump? A POTUS prepared to give up anything for the sake of a small, but good PR, win?

Should Trump do the same with any US citizen held abroad, say by ISIS?

I think that Leroy 42 has the right to any opinion he desires. Unfortunately for him, the question I posed was to Everlast 75. My question to Everlast remains unanswered.

Now in response to Mr. Leroy … you obfuscate in your post. Our POTUS gave up NOTHING

I think that Leroy 42 has the right to any opinion he desires. Unfortunately for him, the question I posed was to Everlast 75. My question to Everlast remains unanswered.

Now in response to Mr. Leroy … you obfuscate in your post. Our POTUS gave up NOTHING

North Korea has finally got the leaders of both countries to meet, they've wanted this since Clinton. Trump is now defending North Korea's human rights abuses and has said that NK is no longer a nuclear threat.

Kim is doing quite well out of all of this but I'm sure the meeting up part could be claimed to be beneficial to both as Trump seemed quite desperate to save face.

According to sources Sarah might be gone. She took to twitter to deny that she is leaving so she must already have her stuff packed.

• Advertisement

My sincerest apologies sir, I really didn't realize you were hanging on my every word.

First off - Obama secured the release of 11. Trump is at 3 presently. I would make a heavy wager you didn't have a good word to say about Obama. Trump certainly didn't mention it.

However, in order to get those 3
    1) he gave up so much in terms of legitimizing KJU's regime. One could secure the release of any hostage by any dictator by giving up whatever the kidnapper wants and that's exactly what he did give.

2) nevermind the crass execise of having the hostages fly to a phony photo op and waffle on about ratings and how great KJU was while blokes mistreated by him were standing beside him.

So the problem with Trump is that this release of 3 hostages is surrounded by incompetence, arrogance and short-siightedness.

ffs people who support Trump thought he deserved a nobel prize even before the embarrasing spectacle of yesterday, signing a document which nobody knows what was on it.

The Dems carefully craft a deal with Iran which yields compliance of circa 90%+ and Trump and his pals rip it up and then go talk to KJU, walk away with nothing while giving up nothing and the Trumpites think its the best thing since sliced bread.

Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

Interesting reply.

A plane load of cash hardly equates to "release".

Legitimizing a regime?  Nice play on words. I guess every political leader world-wide that talked to/about NOKO and its leaders is guilty of … "Legitimizing a regime". And as far as a 'phony photo op' … I'll let that one go and save keystrokes in comparing the current POTUS with the previous ones.  BTW … if the media didn't show up …. there would be no photo op.

The whole Nobel Prize tripe is the result of wishful thinking from all those seeking another 15 minutes.  Do you honestly think the Nobel folks are going to offer President Donald J Trump a peace prize … especially after the abysmal joke make of that prize by your buddy.  The whole story is tripe to help fill the 24hr news cycle. After all it only takes $10k to be nominated.

The 'carefully crafted' Dem deal was so superb it was NEVER submitted to the Senate for approval … Is this yet another case of "Cognitive dissonance at its finest".

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

And rounding off a stellar week for POTUS, Abes visit to Washington, the G7 performance and movement on the NK front, the FED has topped off DTs birthday cake with a big cherry. 

A very hawkish report from the Fed yesterday, pointing to an endorsement of DTs economic policy. Inflations heading for a steady 2% as targetted, forecasting 3.6% for unemployment, 3.6% thats an incredible number, and also the most important part is the wording thats used. 
    Its all in the terminology when it comes to reading these reports and the FED whicc is usually conservative is using some very strong and positive lingo to express its outlook for the US economy . the 0.25% increase in interest rates was expected , and had been priced into the market. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/13/fed-hikes-rate-by-a-quarter-point.html

Plus the numbers out of  Chinas were dissapointing, industrial output fell. Again Trumps economic plan is making the right waves for US growth . And he has barely gotten started. It takes weeks and months for any decision to take effect, expect more positive economic news for the US and Trumps Presidency in the coming months as his strategic decisions are given more time to work thru the markets. 

This is all very positive for POTUS and the mid-terms, as the economy steam rolls along, its making it harder for the Democrats to get any traction with voters. Say goodbye to taking over the house , and in so doing say goodbye to the impeachment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

RIGOLO wrote:
    This is all very positive for POTUS and the mid-terms, as the economy steam rolls along, its making it harder for the Democrats to get any traction with voters. Say goodbye to taking over the house , and in so doing say goodbye to the impeachment .

Indeedy, trumps illusion off success is most certainly working, second term, here he comes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

During Fox News interview, Trump claims that, during his campaign, several parents of US soldiders who died in Korea 65 YEARS AGO personally asked him to see if he could bring their remains home... uh-huh.

And before the nit-picking claims get hurled about - this is a ludicrous, straight-up lie. Its so stupid and demonstrably false as to subtract any credibility from the rest of the interview. Is it actually possible that Trump can't do basic arithmetic or has he somehow confused the Korean War with the one he got 5 deferments for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Citation? I dont recall a cash for hostages arrangement with NK, though I stand to be corrected. As long as youre not confusing this with comprehensively disproven claims that a plane load of cash was paid to Iran for hostage releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jooksavage wrote:
    Citation? I dont recall a cash for hostages arrangement with NK, though I stand to be corrected. As long as youre not confusing this with comprehensively disproven claims that a plane load of cash was paid to Iran for hostage releases.

Since nk is banned from the Swiss transfer system, is there now a bucket load of gold on the way to Kim?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

RIGOLO wrote: »
    And rounding off a stellar week for POTUS, Abes visit to Washington, the G7 performance and movement on the NK front, the FED has topped off DTs birthday cake with a big cherry. 

A very hawkish report from the Fed yesterday, pointing to an endorsement of DTs economic policy. Inflations heading for a steady 2% as targetted, forecasting 3.6% for unemployment, 3.6% thats an incredible number, and also the most important part is the wording thats used. 
    Its all in the terminology when it comes to reading these reports and the FED whicc is usually conservative is using some very strong and positive lingo to express its outlook for the US economy . the 0.25% increase in interest rates was expected , and had been priced into the market. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/13/fed-hikes-rate-by-a-quarter-point.html

Plus the numbers out of  Chinas were dissapointing, industrial output fell. Again Trumps economic plan is making the right waves for US growth . And he has barely gotten started. It takes weeks and months for any decision to take effect, expect more positive economic news for the US and Trumps Presidency in the coming months as his strategic decisions are given more time to work thru the markets. 

Can you detail what economic polices DJT has implemented that have lead to the economy improving other than a massive tax cut to corporations, that they used to buy back their own stock?

I think it is more accurate to say it takes months or even years to see the impact of any major economic decisions so the current improvement is most likely due to his predecessor however am happy to be proven wrong based on point 1 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Trump's response to someone pointing out Kim's many human rights abuses is to praise the man. He really seems to have incredible admiration to those who rule with an iron fist. He said Kim is a "tough guy" and praised his ability to stay in power while so young (really not as hard as Trump makes out to be when you control every portion of people's lives).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/13/donald-trump-kim-jong-un-fox-news-human-rights

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting reply.

[...]
    jooksavage wrote: »

Yup, I presume Nox is referring to the conspiracy theory that Obama paid Iran $400 million in exchange for hostages. When in fact it was backpayments, agreed via The Hague, from an old arms deal prior to the 1979 revolution that fell through (coincidentally caused by the US hostages taken by Iran in '79)

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/03/politics/us-sends-plane-iran-400-million-cash/index.html

Of course Trump & co. latched onto the pretty terrible timing as it being 'payment' for the hostages, when it was an already agreed, international arrangement - not that it stopped those folks from using it as another 'Obama is anti-American' rant.
    The money was flown into Iran on wooden pallets stacked with Swiss francs, euros and other currencies as the first installment of a $1.7 billion settlement resolving claims at an international tribunal at The Hague over a failed arms deal under the time of the Shah.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-bribed-iran-400-million-to-release-u-s-prisoners/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement