Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Nox wrote: »
    Interesting reply.

A plane load of cash hardly equates to "release".

Legitimizing a regime?  Nice play on words. I guess every political leader world-wide that talked to/about NOKO and its leaders is guilty of … "Legitimizing a regime". And as far as a 'phony photo op' … I'll let that one go and save keystrokes in comparing the current POTUS with the previous ones.  BTW … if the media didn't show up …. there would be no photo op.

The whole Nobel Prize tripe is the result of wishful thinking from all those seeking another 15 minutes.  Do you honestly think the Nobel folks are going to offer President Donald J Trump a peace prize … especially after the abysmal joke make of that prize by your buddy.  The whole story is tripe to help fill the 24hr news cycle. After all it only takes $10k to be nominated.

The 'carefully crafted' Dem deal was so superb it was NEVER submitted to the Senate for approval … Is this yet another case of "Cognitive dissonance at its finest".

So now you've made your feelings about Obama clear. Tell me, why should I admire The Donald as POTUS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Christy42 wrote: »
    Trump's response to someone pointing out Kim's many human rights abuses is to praise the man. He really seems to have incredible admiration to those who rule with an iron fist. He said Kim is a "tough guy" and praised his ability to stay in power while so young (really not as hard as Trump makes out to be when you control every portion of people's lives).

As the heir to an odious dynasty himself (Trump the father was a racist slumlord as we know), I guess he saw a lot of himself in Mr Kim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

TRS30 wrote: »
    Can you detail what economic polices DJT has implemented that have lead to the economy improving other than a massive tax cut to corporations, that they used to buy back their own stock?

I think it is more accurate to say it takes months or even years to see the impact of any major economic decisions so the current improvement is most likely due to his predecessor however am happy to be proven wrong based on point 1 above.

It really feels quite like a Celtic Tiger style scenario, where growth was never going to end, unemployment was historically low, politicians were cutting taxes & riding on the wave without any forethought, or looking at the impact of the decisions today on what might happen tomorrow.

Its making economic decisions based on election cycles, and it works in the short term.

Put an extra couple of $$ in peoples pockets & they'll lap it up. You get through the election. Then when the sh1t hits the fan, you get the boot out & the next party in have to preside over the collapse & get remembered as the party who were in power when the hard decisions had to be made.

You just have to hope that people have long enough memories to remember who caused the chaos, but they generally don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Listening to Nicholas Kristof, who has been to NK a few times, talk about the summit. The 100K+ people in North Korean prison camps are being forgotten here, along with the yet-undetected dissidents. As he points out, thousands will have been listening to Voice Of America on illegally-owned radios only to hear the leader of the free world tell them how much Kim "loves his country", what a "very talented man" he is and what an "honor" it was to have met him. Imagine how that must have felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

jooksavage wrote: »
    Listening to Nicholas Kristof, who has been to NK a few times, talk about the summit. The 100K+ people in North Korean prison camps are being forgotten here, along with the yet-undetected dissidents. As he points out, thousands will have been listening to Voice Of America on illegally-owned radios only to hear the leader of the free world tell them how much Kim "loves his country", what a "very talented man" he is and what an "honor" it was to have met him. Imagine how that must have felt.

Along with calling all the prisoners winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Nox

jooksavage wrote: »

Citation? I dont recall a cash for hostages arrangement with NK, though I stand to be corrected. As long as youre not confusing this with comprehensively disproven claims that a plane load of cash was paid to Iran for hostage releases.

Hmmm … "comprehensively disproven claims" … disproven by whom?  BTW … what was the cash for?  Why were the hostages not released until AFTER THE PLANE HAD LANDED AND BEEN EMPTIED?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

According to sources Sarah might be gone. She took to twitter to deny that she is leaving so she must already have her stuff packed.

I was another comment online somewhere, probably reddit, where it was suggested that she'll even deny it to reporters as she's leaving the white house carrying a cardboard box of her possessions.

It will be interesting to see who replaces herself and Shah. They're finding it difficult to attract candidates for some reason so it might be someone who'll be out of their depth. Miller might step in which could be fun for a while. Scarramucci might get another 10 days. Maybe a FOX blonde, female talking head? Don Jr's new bit on the side, perhaps?

Either way, I look forward to more denials of her departure.

TRS30 wrote: »
    RIGOLO wrote: »
    And rounding off a stellar week for POTUS, Abes visit to Washington, the G7 performance and movement on the NK front, the FED has topped off DTs birthday cake with a big cherry. 

A very hawkish report from the Fed yesterday, pointing to an endorsement of DTs economic policy. Inflations heading for a steady 2% as targetted, forecasting 3.6% for unemployment, 3.6% thats an incredible number, and also the most important part is the wording thats used. 
    Its all in the terminology when it comes to reading these reports and the FED whicc is usually conservative is using some very strong and positive lingo to express its outlook for the US economy . the 0.25% increase in interest rates was expected , and had been priced into the market. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/13/fed-hikes-rate-by-a-quarter-point.html

Plus the numbers out of  Chinas were dissapointing, industrial output fell. Again Trumps economic plan is making the right waves for US growth . And he has barely gotten started. It takes weeks and months for any decision to take effect, expect more positive economic news for the US and Trumps Presidency in the coming months as his strategic decisions are given more time to work thru the markets. 

This is all very positive for POTUS and the mid-terms, as the economy steam rolls along, its making it harder for the Democrats to get any traction with voters. Say goodbye to taking over the house , and in so doing say goodbye to the impeachment .

Can you detail what economic polices DJT has implemented that have lead to the economy improving other than a massive tax cut to corporations, that they used to buy back their own stock?

I think it is more accurate to say it takes months or even years to see the impact of any major economic decisions so the current improvement is most likely due to his predecessor however am happy to be proven wrong based on point 1 above.

What magic made the DJIA jump from 17k under the previous administration to the mid 20's under President Donald J Trump?  And that didn't take 'several years'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

According to sources Sarah might be gone. She took to twitter to deny that she is leaving so she must already have her stuff packed.

Sanders going would be a strong weapon of his needing replacing. I find her reprehensible but I acknowledge she is damn good at what she sets out to do.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hmmm … "comprehensively disproven claims" … disproven by whom? BTW … what was the cash for? Why were the hostages not released until AFTER THE PLANE HAD LANDED AND BEEN EMPTIED?

Your tinfoil hattery is really quite immense

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/03/politics/us-sends-plane-iran-400-million-cash/index.html
    The money was flown into Iran on wooden pallets stacked with Swiss francs, euros and other currencies as the first installment of a $1.7 billion settlement resolving claims at an international tribunal at The Hague over a failed arms deal under the time of the Shah.

I do of course fully expect you to try claim this is fake cus CNN = fakenews etc.

I also am pretty certain if the prisoners were released prior to the plane landing you would still be claiming it was some kind of conspiracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Harika

What magic made the DJIA jump from 17k under the previous administration to the mid 20's under President Donald J Trump?  And that didn't take 'several years'.

The same magic that made it drop from 26k to 23k in January.

dow-jones-industrial-average-djia-history.gif

Overall it is rising since the 80s and Trump is just piggy riding the trend.

Interesting reply.

Legitimizing a regime?  Nice play on words. I guess every political leader world-wide that talked to/about NOKO and its leaders is guilty of … "Legitimizing a regime". And as far as a 'phony photo op' … I'll let that one go and save keystrokes in comparing the current POTUS with the previous ones.  BTW … if the media didn't show up …. there would be no photo op.

The whole Nobel Prize tripe is the result of wishful thinking from all those seeking another 15 minutes.  Do you honestly think the Nobel folks are going to offer President Donald J Trump a peace prize … especially after the abysmal joke make of that prize by your buddy.  The whole story is tripe to help fill the 24hr news cycle. After all it only takes $10k to be nominated.

The 'carefully crafted' Dem deal was so superb it was NEVER submitted to the Senate for approval … Is this yet another case of "Cognitive dissonance at its finest".

So now you've made your feelings about Obama clear. Tell me, why should I admire The Donald as POTUS?

Why would I want to waste keystrokes?  Lyrics from a song … "... still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest …"

With that in mind, do you care to  "Tell me, why should I admire YOUR boy as POTUS?

Hmmm … "comprehensively disproven claims" … disproven by whom? BTW … what was the cash for? Why were the hostages not released until AFTER THE PLANE HAD LANDED AND BEEN EMPTIED?

*covering ears*

PixelBurp already put this up https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-bribed-iran-400-million-to-release-u-s-prisoners/

If you're still arguing this, you're quite a bit behind the curve so it's worth reading the article above. The more you know, and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm … "comprehensively disproven claims" … disproven by whom?  BTW … what was the cash for?  Why were the hostages not released until AFTER THE PLANE HAD LANDED AND BEEN EMPTIED?

If you read just a few posts up, you have your answer as I already pointed out the fallacy of the conspiracy theory.

The cash was part of an International Agreement, via the Hague, over a trade deal made during the time of the Shah. It is well documented and proven. Not a conspiracy. Not a bribe. Just really bad timing over agreed money Iran was owed by the US from circa 1979.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

As per the charter, please be civil towards other posters. The capitals and large font here come across as shouting.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

One of the big improvments Trump has made to boost business, especially small buisness and therefore the econmy has been the reduction in wasteful regulation. 
    Executive Order 13771 and 12866 

President Trump directed agencies to eliminate two regulations for each new one and to reduce net regulatory costs to zero in Fiscal Year 2017. Agencies appointed new regulatory reform officers and regulatory reform taskforces to help implement these changes

Agencies have systematically evaluated existing regulatory actions to determine whether they are unnecessary, ineffective, duplicative, or inconsistent with legal requirements. Regulatory and deregulatory actions must result in net benefits to society and meet other longstanding requirements

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaEO13771
    All of which is detailed in the Unified Agenda of Regulatory and Deregulatory Actions , if you care to read.

Savings of 8 billion per year are projected in Govt. regulatory costs. But its not so much the savings thats the important part, this is a tiny amount. 
    https://www.reginfo.gov/public/pdf/eo13771/FINAL_TOPLINE_All_20171207.pdf
    The REAL impact is what this reduction in Government beauracry has done is to free up business and the economy . 
    Over 1500 business regulations cut, small business regulations , in a 22-1 reduction ratio across all US dept. 
    Perhaps you are anti-Trump and pro more Govt regulations. 

Ive listed the economic tools Trump has used to boost the economy in prior posts, the regulation reform is just one of them, just as the tax cut was one, just as fund repatriation was one, just as expanding US oil output is one,  etc etc
    Its not a simplistic silver bullet action thats boosting the economy , there is none it doesnt exist, its the holistic multi-faceted policy thats POTUS is pushing thats doing this. 

If you dont care to read or absorb any of this , then you con continue on the singular mantra of ohh he just gave a tax cut .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,728 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

One of the big improvments Trump has made to boost business, especially small buisness and therefore the econmy has been the reduction in wasteful regulation. 

President Trump directed agencies to eliminate two regulations for each new one and to reduce net regulatory costs to zero in Fiscal Year 2017. Agencies appointed new regulatory reform officers and regulatory reform taskforces to help implement these changes

Agencies have systematically evaluated existing regulatory actions to determine whether they are unnecessary, ineffective, duplicative, or inconsistent with legal requirements. Regulatory and deregulatory actions must result in net benefits to society and meet other longstanding requirements

All of which is detailed in the Unified Agenda of Regulatory and Deregulatory Actions , if you care to read.

Savings of 8 billion per year are projected in Govt. regulatory costs. But its not so much the savings thats the important part, this is a tiny amount. 
    The REAL impact is what this reduction in Government beauracry has done is to free up business and the economy . 
    Over 1500 business regulations cut, small business regulations , in a 22-1 reduction ratio across all US dept. 

Ive listed the economic tools Trump has used to boost the economy in prior posts, the regulation reform is just one of them, just as the tax cut was one, just as fund repatriation was one, just as expanding US oil output is one,  etc etc
    Its not a simplistic silver bullet action thats boosting the economy , there is none it doesnt exist, its the holistic multi-faceted policy thats POTUS is pushing thats doing this. 

If you dont care to read or absorb any of this , then you con continue on the singular mantra of ohh he just gave a tax cut .

again, as explained by other posters, a proportion of the profits repatriated to america have indeed gone into 'share buy back schemes', known to produce little or no jobs, and only truly benefiting share holders, in which truly only is the minority in the american society.

What magic made the DJIA jump from 17k under the previous administration to the mid 20's under President Donald J Trump? And that didn't take 'several years'.

No The Donald is making a difference alright. For example, year on year, the May federal budget deficit soared by 66%. All funded by The Donald's tax cuts and spending increases. Go The Donald. MAGA

Why would I want to waste keystrokes? Lyrics from a song … "... still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest …"

With that in mind, do you care to "Tell me, why should I admire YOUR boy as POTUS?

This is the Donald Trump thread. Do you have anything of substance to offer regarding his performance as POTUS?

Ive listed the economic tools Trump has used to boost the economy in prior posts, the regulation reform is just one of them, just as the tax cut was one, just as fund repatriation was one, just as expanding US oil output is one, etc etc

Could you explain what regulations he dumped please? You might let me know which ones didn't relate the environment and workers rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Actually Dow was 19,800 on January 19th 2017 (day before inauguration) having risen from 6,500 in March 2009. So there is no magic involved, Dow has been rising at a steady rate since 2010.

Let's not forget Dow continued rising under Bush Jr after Clinton. Went from 10k in 2001 to 14k (and that was even after an event as huge as 9/11 and its effects on the economy) and then dropped dramatically in 2007-08.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is quite staggering when you look at the comparison between how Trump deals with Canada and NK.

Canada, not only he is very angry with Trudeau and he come out to say that he will make the Canadians pay for the words of the PM. See also how he treated Merkel the first visit to the WH, how he has continually put down Mexico, the EU and Africa.

Now compare how he treated Trudeau with his statements in Kim. Very smart, tough negotiator blah blah.

I don't understand how his supporters can reconcile the two approaches. Remember, that very recently Kim threatened to fire nukes directly at the US. How can they cheer for Trump to take such a hardline approach on one hand but also cheer when Trump lays out the red carpet on another.

And if you are sitting in Iran, what are you thinking now? They signed up to a deal to give up the nukes and Trump tore it up. NK threaten the US directly and get a summit and an agreement.

And finally, with are now 48 hours after the summit. The initial excitement has died down. Can anyone here point to anything that Trump actually got out of it, besides a PR boost for himself?

He went in there with all the cards. Biggest economy in the world, biggest military in the world. And what did he actually get. According to his tweets nukes are no longer a problem, but I fail to see where that has been agreed.

This, remember, is the self styled best trade maker in the world. Yet he goes in holding all the cards and walks out with nothing. I am staggering that his supporters cannot see how dismally he performed in this. Instead we get basically the line that time will tell, see how it goes. Wasn't that exactly the position we were in prior to the summit?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    According to his tweets nukes are no longer a problem, but I fail to see where that has been agreed.

This should concern everyone. Theres nothing concrete in that agreement, no deadlines, no inspection framework or verification process. Trump has been in dereliction of his duty since he was briefed on Russian election interference and took no steps to counter ongoing attacks. This demonstrates a willingness to put ego above national security so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he starts making allowances for NK if they are less than fullsome in their commitment to de-nuclearization - how could admit his patented negotiation superpowers failed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not remotely being an expert or anything, I'd say to the American conservative, Canada must appear like the uppity & liberal neighbour who thinks their sh*t don't stink. All smiles and politeness, not to mention their free medcare, PC representation in the cabinet et all; like a godless Ned Flanders. I daresay being a jerk to the next door neighbour must delight them no end (in fact IIRC a drive-by poster on this thread referred to Trudeau as 'soy boy'). Not that Mexico fares any better either, but if the US is resentful of one neighbour that's a bit above them, Mexico's the other neighbour who can be looked down on.

North Korea on the other hand, is the 'other', a mysterious country on the other side of the world that the average US citizen would know next to little about anyway - beyond having 'that crazy dictator fella'. The presence of (non-existent) nukes on the table probably allows for a little bit of a cognitive leap towards it being the Cold War II, with Trump the steady hand at the tiller as he navigates nuclear diplomacy. Besides, it was a rare occasion in which Trump returned without ... ruffling feathers - by his standards that's a pronounced victory :) Even if nothing actual and printed was agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It is quite staggering when you look at the comparison between how Trump deals with Canada and NK.

Canada, not only he is very angry with Trudeau and he come out to say that he will make the Canadians pay for the words of the PM. See also how he treated Merkel the first visit to the WH, how he has continually put down Mexico, the EU and Africa.

Now compare how he treated Trudeau with his statements in Kim. Very smart, tough negotiator blah blah.

I don't understand how his supporters can reconcile the two approaches. Remember, that very recently Kim threatened to fire nukes directly at the US. How can they cheer for Trump to take such a hardline approach on one hand but also cheer when Trump lays out the red carpet on another.

And if you are sitting in Iran, what are you thinking now? They signed up to a deal to give up the nukes and Trump tore it up. NK threaten the US directly and get a summit and an agreement.

And finally, with are now 48 hours after the summit. The initial excitement has died down. Can anyone here point to anything that Trump actually got out of it, besides a PR boost for himself?

He went in there with all the cards. Biggest economy in the world, biggest military in the world. And what did he actually get. According to his tweets nukes are no longer a problem, but I fail to see where that has been agreed.

This, remember, is the self styled best trade maker in the world. Yet he goes in holding all the cards and walks out with nothing. I am staggering that his supporters cannot see how dismally he performed in this. Instead we get basically the line that time will tell, see how it goes. Wasn't that exactly the position we were in prior to the summit?

His demanding Russia's inclusion into the G7 and attacking of his Nato allies is Russian foreign policy. Russia has long since sought to break up the Atlantic alliance. They are using Trump as a weapon to do this.

demfad wrote: »
    His demanding Russia's inclusion into the G7 and attacking of his Nato allies is Russian foreign policy. Russia has long since sought to break up the Atlantic alliance. They are using Trump as a weapon to do this.

Really the NK Summit couldn't have come at a better time for him. Basically the madness of the G7 Summit was completely forgotten thanks to his trip to Singapore.

Just makes the ridiculousness of the short new cycle all the more evident

More people coming after DT:

https://www.ft.com/content/bb2d33cc-6fe0-11e8-852d-d8b934ff5ffa

For those that can't access the link. The New York AG is suing the Trump Foundation & its directors for persistent illegal behaviour.
    ...alleging among other things that the charity illegally co-ordinated with his presidential campaign
    Ms Underwood said the investigation had found the foundation paid at least $500,000 in grants to groups in Iowa in early 2016, shortly before the caucuses there, and that the Trump Foundation had engaged in self-dealing that benefited Mr Trump and his businesses

He's already battling back over twitter in typical fashion:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1007278788009480192

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1007278825661784064

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I wonder how POTUS knew it lingered in NYS for 2 years. Best of all, he can't pardon anyone (state charges, not federal as far as I can tell.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Same day as the IG report, busy times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Same day as the IG report, busy times.

A bad day for Trump, I'd say. First a lawsuit against his foundation, and then an IG report looks like it will not give him the evidence he was looking for to support his case that the entire top of FBI and DoJ are corrupt. However, IG report will support his decision to fire Comey. Comey seems to have phucked up with that July presser...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement