Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Paul Manafort will be doing a Ronnie Barker I see.

Sorry? Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sorry? Who?

Ronnie Barker was the star of TV sitcom “Porridge”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Apparently 16 pages of shredded documents related to the Cohen case have been unshredded

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti

Thats so UNFAIR ;-0 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

You may be thinking of Obama, who did that. That said, you are correct, Trump hasn't always.

I find that a particularly peculiar remark Manic. There is, to the best of my knowledge, one incidence of Obama failing to salute an officer, and in that instance he returned to the same officer, spoke to him and shook his hand. The list of Cadet Bone Spur's transgressions against veterans and the military are virtually endless, against prisoners of war, against your own generals, against gold star families... AND YET... her we are with you trying to make it out like Obama was the real transgressor...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Nox

BTW … he kissed the ring and bowed. Something NO POTUS has ever done.  But then it wasn't a republican so it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nox wrote: »
    BTW … he kissed the ring and bowed. Something NO POTUS has ever done.  But then it wasn't a republican so it doesn't matter.

Hang on.

If you have a problem with Obama doing that, then of course you have a problem with Trump doing what he did? Right? Right?

I'm guessing no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Check out the whole thread insane.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1007601914584944641?s=19

Also why doesn't he put fake tan around his eyes whats with the panda thing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And people are expected to believe that he has no issues answering questions to Mueller.

Nobody, unless you have given up your principles for a cult, could possibly look at any of what Trump said today and not conclude that, at the very least, the man has no idea what he is doing.

The alternative is of course many times worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

20Cent wrote: »
    Check out the whole thread insane.

The man is obviously insane. And yet this clown show goes on....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You may be thinking of Obama, who did that. That said, you are correct, Trump hasn't always.

I find that a particularly peculiar remark Manic. There is, to the best of my knowledge, one incidence of Obama failing to salute an officer, and in that instance he returned to the same officer, spoke to him and shook his hand. The list of Cadet Bone Spur's transgressions against veterans and the military are virtually endless, against prisoners of war, against your own generals, against gold star families... AND YET... her we are with you trying to make it out like Obama was the real transgressor...

You are taking more from the above than I meant. I post equivalence, not transgression or hate. Indeed, the fact that 12 people have thanked your post indicates to me that there is a lot of people looking to see sides on this board. One of us uses derisive nicknames for a President, the other has never done so. What does that tell you about preconception on concepts?

There was a fairly famous incident in 2013 where Obama, after entering Marine 1, exited again, and went to the Marine sentry before returning into the helicopter. It went around the Internet quite a bit, occasionally with false captions such as “kicked off by the pilot to go return the salute.” I am unfamiliar with Trump having done the same thing, and indeed, if you google “trump forgets to return salute”, you get no hits for him doing so, but do get one for Obama. And here’s a bizarre thought: It is to Obama’s credit that’s he went back to do so, I’m not attacking him for it. It is not unusual for a recollection to be confused. I realize that in today’s politically polarized environment this may be a strange concept, but sometimes corrections are made for accuracy, not stupid partisan point scoring.

As an aside, Trump has done some good things for vets. Most recently he just signed an executive order giving the spouses of serving personnel a preference in federal hiring selection. This is well overdue, as when a soldier transfers, his or her spouse is out of luck. When I was looking at a year in Leavenworth a couple months ago, my wife’s position was all but hopeless as a wage earner. See also the Mission Act signed last week. However, this sort of thing doesn’t seem to get much mention, I mention it now since you brought up the subject.

• Advertisement

You are taking more from the above than I meant. I post equivalence, not transgression or hate. Indeed, the fact that 12 people have thanked your post indicates to me that there is a lot of people looking to see sides on this board. One of us uses derisive nicknames for a President, the other has never done so. What does that tell you about preconception on concepts?

There was a fairly famous incident in 2013 where Obama, after entering Marine 1, exited again, and went to the Marine sentry before returning into the helicopter. It went around the Internet quite a bit, occasionally with false captions such as “kicked off by the pilot to go return the salute.” I am unfamiliar with Trump having done the same thing, and indeed, if you google “trump forgets to return salute”, you get no hits for him doing so, but do get one for Obama. And here’s a bizarre thought: It is to Obama’s credit that’s he went back to do so, I’m not attacking him for it. It is not unusual for a recollection to be confused. I realize that in today’s politically polarized environment this may be a strange concept, but sometimes corrections are made for accuracy, not stupid partisan point scoring.

As an aside, Trump has done some good things for vets. Most recently he just signed an executive order giving the spouses of serving personnel a preference in federal hiring selection. This is well overdue, as when a soldier transfers, his or her spouse is out of luck. When I was looking at a year in Leavenworth a couple months ago, my wife’s position was all but hopeless as a wage earner. See also the Mission Act signed last week. However, this sort of thing doesn’t seem to get much mention, I mention it now since you brought up the subject.

Firstly, let's distinguish between forgetting to salute one of your own troops and saluting an officer of a nuclear capable dictatorship.

Having done that, the reason i thanked that post was because it made the same point i made a couple of posts earlier. It highlighted the sheer hypocrisy of Trump and his supporters in terms of their criticism of Obama. If they had kept their mouth shut i doubt there would have been as much of a uproar.

Finally, the problem with Trump is no one has any patience or good will for him anymore. He is, by all objective reasoning, a disgusting bully who cannot but lie through his teeth. I never particularly liked the guy before he ran for president but the way he conducted himself since has left me with zero doubt, and i mean zero, that on a personal level he is despicable. Now, as a result of that, if he does something wrong, it compounds how i feel about him. If it were someone i like, i would be less inclined to feel as strongly about the error.

Do you see the difference?

And do you get that its not my fault for not cutting him any slack? It's his for behaving like an utter ***hole. People only have a finite amount of patience, and he has utterly exhausted the patience of most reasonable people.

He has brought the office of the president to a depressingly low level which i hope will never be repeated. He has uttered such huge and disgusting lies on a daily basis. The idea that he or anyone else can think he is being treated unfairly (when you consider what that word means) simply blows my mind.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Firstly, let's distinguish between forgetting to salute one of your own troops and saluting an officer of a nuclear capable dictatorship.

That's technically at war with an ally, can't find out if there's a state of war between NK and the US, I don't think so.

But, it's OK if Trump does it. He's the POTUS and everything he does is right. /sarcasm

Guys this whole saluting thing is a bit of a distraction, don't yee think? The republicansTrump nazies obviously are gone well past knowing how to spell the word hypocrisy

The most heart shattering problem to rear its head is how they are now separating kids from parents and putting them into what could be called as concentration camps. Of all of the stories to come-out due to Trump this week this definitely is the most worry-some for those of us who do not want their kids to live in a world ruled by fascists.

Seeing numbers like 2000. Personally, feels like Godwinning to call them concentration camps - the US isn't after killing these children. But all the child-loving tGOPers *should* care. I guess if a few caucasian kids got detained the tune would change. Brown people, that's OKIYAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,688 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The whole "the Dems could sort this business of children being separated from their parents" stuff that Trump comes out with is saying "do what I want over paying for the wall and I will stop separating children from their parents". Its a truly chilling example of the abuser saying "you made me do it".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

The man is obviously insane. And yet this clown show goes on....

The man is more eminently suited to his office than you are to give a psychiatric diagnosis, I'd wager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Guys this whole saluting thing is a bit of a distraction, don't yee think? The republicansTrump nazies obviously are gone well past knowing how to spell the word hypocrisy

The most heart shattering problem to rear its head is how they are now separating kids from parents and putting them into what could be called as concentration camps. Of all of the stories to come-out due to Trump this week this definitely is the most worry-some for those of us who do not want their kids to live in a world ruled by fascists.

And of course, when you're putting such children into custody, wrap the Good Book around your actions. A bit like ISIS using the Quran to 'prove' their creds, don't ya think?

mattser wrote: »
    The man is more eminently suited to his office than you are to give a psychiatric diagnosis, I'd wager.

Eminently suited... Mmmmmm!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

You can lose track with all the Trump scandals, Trump saluting or not, Trump having affairs and Trump being generally a moron.
    But if you put together his financial conflicting and probably unconstitutional activities instead of concentrating on single incidents and revelations, this is one corrupt government, if there ever was one.

For example:
    The Trump Foundation: Trump took at least 2,8 Mio. $ for personal use out of the foundation, i.e. for electoral campaign events, paying off legal claims and (my favourite) 100 000 $ for an oil painting of himself for one of his golf resorts.
    At least the foundation's finances are under investigation.

Mar-a-Lago: This commercial property has been declared by Trump as the Winter White House. Not only people have to pay a hefty sum (into Trump’s pocket) to get access, because he is the POTUS, but he invites heads of state and hence gets free advertising via the media for his property.

Golf resorts: Since his inauguration Trump visited his golf resorts (including Mar-a-Lago) 18 times, each trip costs the taxpayer 3,6 Mio $. Altogether he spent about one third of his presidency in one of his golf resorts. One Third.

Trump International Hotel Washington: Owner of this Hotel is the US-government which leased it to the Trump Organization. So Trump is practically his own landlord. He earns millions with this hotel, especially since national and international dignitaries stay there which is not only free advertisement for this hotel but garantees a nice steady income.

Ivanka and Jared Kushner: Both profit by now from around 200 companies despite being officially political advisers in the White House. Together they earned last year around 82 Mio. $. as a “sideline”. Ivanka’s own company got 34 patens from China since daddy’s inauguration and strange dealings with China. Kushner is officially the adviser for Middle Eastern affairs. But peace in that region doesn’t seem to be his first thought when waking up in the morning. Instead he looks for private investments for his companies in this region, mainly from Israel.

That’s just the most inner circle in the Trump world and only scratching the surface. Then there is the rest of the trumpy circle, like his intellectually challenged sons of course, but also supporting characters like Tom Barrack, Elliott Broidy and George Nader, and cabinet members like Scot Pruitt, Steve Mnuchkin or Ben Carson – all of them filled their pockets or used their power for their own benefit thanks to their office and/or proximity to Trump.

If you add all of them and all of their financial misconductions and corruptions you have a textbook cleptocracy in government.

Follwing this thread from the beginning I’m dumbfounded how anyone can entertain the thought that Trump is “clearing the swamp” and that he is a worthy president.
    Not to mention all his other borderline (or actual?) criminal activities, misogyny and general idiocies.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

As an aside, Trump has done some good things for vets. Most recently he just signed an executive order giving the spouses of serving personnel a preference in federal hiring selection.

So a tiered citizenry eh? All getting a bit fascist isn't it? How long before a person has to serve before he gets citizenship?

Carry wrote: »
    You can lose track with all the Trump scandals, Trump saluting or not, Trump having affairs and Trump being generally a moron.
    But if you put together his financial conflicting and probably unconstitutional activities instead of concentrating on single incidents and revelations, this is one corrupt government, if there ever was one.

For example:
    The Trump Foundation: Trump took at least 2,8 Mio. $ for personal use out of the foundation, i.e. for electoral campaign events, paying off legal claims and (my favourite) 100 000 $ for an oil painting of himself for one of his golf resorts.
    At least the foundation's finances are under investigation.

Mar-a-Lago: This commercial property has been declared by Trump as the Winter White House. Not only people have to pay a hefty sum (into Trump’s pocket) to get access, because he is the POTUS, but he invites heads of state and hence gets free advertising via the media for his property.

Golf resorts: Since his inauguration Trump visited his golf resorts (including Mar-a-Lago) 18 times, each trip costs the taxpayer 3,6 Mio $. Altogether he spent about one third of his presidency in one of his golf resorts. One Third.

Trump International Hotel Washington: Owner of this Hotel is the US-government which leased it to the Trump Organization. So Trump is practically his own landlord. He earns millions with this hotel, especially since national and international dignitaries stay there which is not only free advertisement for this hotel but garantees a nice steady income.

Ivanka and Jared Kushner: Both profit by now from around 200 companies despite being officially political advisers in the White House. Together they earned last year around 82 Mio. $. as a “sideline”. Ivanka’s own company got 34 patens from China since daddy’s inauguration and strange dealings with China. Kushner is officially the adviser for Middle Eastern affairs. But peace in that region doesn’t seem to be his first thought when waking up in the morning. Instead he looks for private investments for his companies in this region, mainly from Israel.

That’s just the most inner circle in the Trump world and only scratching the surface. Then there is the rest of the trumpy circle, like his intellectually challenged sons of course, but also supporting characters like Tom Barrack, Elliott Broidy and George Nader, and cabinet members like Scot Pruitt, Steve Mnuchkin or Ben Carson – all of them filled their pockets or used their power for their own benefit thanks to their office and/or proximity to Trump.

If you add all of them and all of their financial misconductions and corruptions you have a textbook cleptocracy in government.

Follwing this thread from the beginning I’m dumbfounded how anyone can entertain the thought that Trump is “clearing the swamp” and that he is a worthy president.
    Not to mention all his other borderline (or actual?) criminal activities, misogyny and general idiocies.

Trumps fans will likely read that and then completely disregard it as fake news.
    I don't post here much but I read this thread every day and I see his fans ignore all this and come back with the same drivel about how the economy is roaring, maga etc.
    How any of them (especially the so called Christians) can stand over 2000 children being separated from their families, I don't know. It's depressing looking at what the USA is becoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,768 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

See this is more of it. If he does something that is good it is still criticised.

I'm probably coming across as a fan of the man which I am not. I'm just willing to give a person a chance and I'll never lower myself and act in a msnner similar to a lot of his supporters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

eagle eye wrote: »
    See this is more of it. If he does something that is good it is still criticised.

I'm probably coming across as a fan of the man which I am not. I'm just willing to give a person a chance and I'll never lower myself and act in a msnner similar to a lot of his supporters.

He's 18 months into his presidency, how much more of a 'chance' do you intend to give him in the interest of fairness? We're long past his inauguration. He and his administration have ample cases or mismanagement, incompetence or banal malevolence such as the debacle with the immigrant children; as the saying goes, one swallow (or North Korean summit) doesn't make a summer.

Would they be "deplorable" acts, like???

pixelburp wrote:
    He's 18 months into his presidency, how much more of a 'chance' do you intend to give him in the interest of fairness? We're long past his inauguration. He and his administration have ample cases or mismanagement, incompetence or banal malevolence such as the debacle with the immigrant children; as the saying goes, one swallow (or North Korean summit) doesn't make a summer.

Are you suggesting this is something new for a potus?
    To this point he is certainly not the worst, or even close to the worst, potus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Who in your mind was a worse president than Trump? And why?

Who in your mind was a worse president than Trump? And why?

Nixon, George W, Obama to name three recent ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Which part being new? The incompetence? Cos if you do some reading into the likes of Rick Perry, Betsy DeVos and Scott Pruitt then yes, I think the Trump administration is full of incompetents, grifters and spoofers. The major departures in the WH is up to what, 50? Meanwhile the State Department remains critically undermanned. This administration is making things up as it goes along, and making a bags of it.

My contention to you is that 18 months is far past a 'chance' when the direction, intention and output of a presidency is already well established nearly halfway through its term. Oh sure, they haven't started a war so sure why not, least Trump has that in his favour, but domestically his tenure is pathetic. You seem to be saying "let's wait and see", but that's not how politics works, not on this scale and not when there's no coherent plan coming from this administration.

This isn't Sean Lemass pulling Ireland into modernity here via economic plans, it's a trustfund billionaire spitballing about snatching folks' guns and working out the law later, or starting trade wars cos they're "easy to win" and because he's obsessed with a zero sum game.

Nixon, George W, Obama to name three recent ones.

And the "why?" part??

everlast75 wrote:
    And the "why?" part??

Why what? Three horrendous presidents, I'm not getting into anymore than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Why what? Three horrendous presidents, I'm not getting into anymore than that.

LOL

Nate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement