Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

Perfect. Thanks.

4WPdR8s.png

People seem pretty sure that stage 9 is coming. How long do you think it will be? Few weeks / months / years?

Probably not long considering how little a lot of Americans seem to care about their own children getting shot in their own schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

Probably not long considering how little a lot of Americans seem to care about their own children getting shot in their own schools.

It's already happening. How many cops get convicted of murder annually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Dotard has said he will sign "something" to ensure families will not be separated at the border.

And now we have his supporters praising him for fixing the problem (that he started).

Incredible stuff.

Anyone who appeared on tv to defend his policy decision to separate kids from their parents should always be associated with that performance. Whenever they reappear, that footage should be played. They should be linked with Trump forever more and when he goes down, which he will, they should be dragged along with him, kicking and screaming if need be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Dotard has said he will sign "something" to ensure families will not be separated at the border.

And now we have his supporters praising him for fixing the problem (that he started).

Incredible stuff.

Anyone who appeared on tv to defend his policy decision to separate kids from their parents should always be associated with that performance. Whenever they reappear, that footage should be played. They should be linked with Trump forever more and when he goes down, which he will, they should be dragged along with him, kicking and screaming if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

They lost a lot of supporters, at least temporarily. Seeing Geraldo going of on Hannity was something to behold. Shows how fickle some of his base is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They lost a lot of supporters, at least temporarily. Seeing Geraldo going of on Hannity was something to behold. Shows how fickle some of his base is.

+1 for Geraldo. "Just because you (Shammity) don't have sincere emotions, don't say I don't."

Sean Hannity, noted client of Michael Cohen.

And, ugh, the Judicial watch deflector droid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

So when some of "his base" breaks with the popular characterisation of their views, they're "fickle"?? Perhaps his base is actually a collection of ppl who share many views but are also free-thinking individuals, rather than some dull-eyed brainwashed mass that can't think.

I would have thought that someone like Geraldo being willing to taken on Hannity's polemics, rather than simply subscribing to the Lewandowski " Wah! Wah!" attitude would be welcomed as strength of character rather than being evidence of fickle- ness (if that's even a word) of Trumps supporters.

If you lump everyone into an amorphous mass of "deplorables", you take away their humanness and propagate the Us vs Them narrative that just reinforces stereotypes based on ignorance and hate. And that's exactly what Trumps base is accused of.

Trumps base is a heterogenous grouping of ppl who, among other things, feels left behind by decades of Washington flim-flam and day to day ignorance of that bases' fears and issues. Trump's success has resulted from his conman techniques harnessing that group's isolation from the Washington elite.

So I welcome Geraldo's conscience-based outburst on Hannity and hope to see much more of it. If such outbursts become a feature of the rest of Trump's base, I'll welcome that too.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    So when some of "his base" breaks with the popular characterisation of their views, they're "fickle"?? Perhaps his base is actually a collection of ppl who share many views but are also free-thinking individuals, rather than some dull-eyed brainwashed mass that can't think.

I would have thought that someone like Geraldo being willing to taken on Hannity's polemics, rather than simply subscribing to the Lewandowski " Wah! Wah!" attitude would be welcomed as strength of character rather than being evidence of fickle- ness (if that's even a word) of Trumps supporters.

If you lump everyone into an amorphous mass of "deplorables", you take away their humanness and propagate the Us vs Them narrative that just reinforces stereotypes based on ignorance and hate. And that's exactly what Trumps base is accused of.

Trumps base is a heterogenous grouping of ppl who, among other things, feels left behind by decades of Washington flim-flam and day to day ignorance of that bases' fears and issues. Trump's success has resulted from his conman techniques harnessing that group's isolation from the Washington elite.

So I welcome Geraldo's conscience-based outburst on Hannity and hope to see much more of it. If such outbursts become a feature of the rest of Trump's base, I'll welcome that too.

I welcome it too. Doesn't change the support he gave him before. This isn't some revelation of Trumps character, it's what he always has been. They've looked past accusations rape, sexual assault, fraud, corruption and pure incompetence. They won't get any thanks for doing the right thing because pictures of child abuse finally turned their stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So Trump has announced that he will be doing 'something special' later today to deal with the issue of separating children from their parents. Whilst a belated good move a number of issues:

- This put to bed the lie that the Dems were to blame
    - This makes the likes of Sessions and Nielson look totally out of step, they pushed this hard. Miller must also be considered weakened.
    - Makes Trump look really weak. His supporters have all said this week that he is only securing the border, so how can they accept such a climb down? Has is become soft on the borders? What about all those MS13 members that are going to flood in? Does he not care about the huge amounts of crime that will now happen?
    - He doesn't need a executive order. One wasn't needed to start this, it isn't needed to stop it. A phone call the the ICE leader would do the trick. He is staging this to make it look like he is doing something (despite telling the world that he couldn't do anything the last few days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That congressman Jim Jordan is really drinking the Trump Kool-Aid(He always has to be fair) Katy Tur on MSNBC made him look like an eijit in a video I've just watched.

Also I just watched the Geraldo Hannity(I'd thankfully forgotten what Hannity sounded like) and I don't think Geraldo was ever a blindly loyal following like Hannity. I didn't know the other guy in the video who looked a load of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just watched the Geraldo clip, fair play to him. It was clear he is really upset and sees this as cruel and said it was child abuse.

Hannity really don't know what to say after starting the segment saying it was all the Dems fault.

It would be churlish to not applaud when people stand up like this. Sure I don't agree with his support for Trump, but to stand up like this, on Fox of all places, took some guts and well done to him for that.

Hopefully the rest. like Ingraham, Coulter, Tucker etc will also appreciate that they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So Trump has announced that he will be doing 'something special' later today to deal with the issue of separating children from their parents. Whilst a belated good move a number of issues:

- This put to bed the lie that the Dems were to blame
    - This makes the likes of Sessions and Nielson look totally out of step, they pushed this hard. Miller must also be considered weakened.
    - Makes Trump look really weak. His supporters have all said this week that he is only securing the border, so how can they accept such a climb down? Has is become soft on the borders? What about all those MS13 members that are going to flood in? Does he not care about the huge amounts of crime that will now happen?
    - He doesn't need a executive order. One wasn't needed to start this, it isn't needed to stop it. A phone call the the ICE leader would do the trick. He is staging this to make it look like he is doing something (despite telling the world that he couldn't do anything the last few days)
    They will applaud him for doing something and simply double think around the fact that he could have done this at any time or in fact could have nor started the abuse in the first place.

I can see supporting Republicans but I can't see how any would support Trump after this. I also don't see why I should go for views of they are not all bad. Any that support him after this know damn well they support someone who is only too happy to force children to suffer to stroke his own who.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As already said, the chattering classes for Trump will merely shift their rhetoric, praise the president for decisive action and forget the whole line that he was stymied by Democrats. We were always at war with Eurasia stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Just read one of the recent approval ratings, it's at 45% for Trump

As abhorrent as he might be to us - a significant number of Americans like him and his policies. We're only going to see more clones of him as future candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

So the court said they couldn't keep the parents and children together, were the administration simply going against that ruling? If so how is that possible?
    EDIT: Seems it just specified that children had to be released nevermind

Despite insisting for days he could do nothing, Trump has just signed an order to end the separation policy. Now watch as the reports of mislaid children flood in.

Who's gonna have to carry the can for Donnie's having to surrender? Miller? Nielsen? Kelly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

So much for defending the borders. Thanks open borders Don!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Dohnjoe wrote: »

As abhorrent as he might be to us - a significant number of Americans like him and his policies. We're only going to see more clones of him as future candidates.

Potentially. When Nixon was riding high in the polls despite obvious corruption and the flouting of democratic norms, many worried that he was creating a template for future administrations. Those anxieties were allayed when the consequences proved so disastrous for him and those around him. Its up to congress and the American people who elect them to ensure that Trump reaps what he sows. Mid-terms in Nov will be the reckoning if the "blue wave" materializes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Sounds like Cohen is moving in a direction that should concern Trump. He's just resigned from the RNC and even took a potshot at Trumps zero tolerance immigration policy on the way out for good measure.

I heard some former mob prosecutors on Slates Trumpcast opine what a wonderful witnesses people like Cohen make: they feel compelled to be part of something, to be useful and feel wanted. When their bosses turn their backs upon them they switch allegiance to the prosecution and tend to be FAR more cooperative than your average witness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It was Donald's 1st divorce lawyer who said, 'they all flip eventually'. And he told Donald that. If he has info that reduces his jail time, he'll turn. That applies to Manafort too, unless he wants to die in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Who are us ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭derb12

There's also a chance that Cohen might not be asked to cooperate and have his sentence reduced. The documents/recordings they have already might be useful enough to mueller without actual testimony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mattser wrote: »
    Who are us ?

Not insane people

American Republican voters at least have the excuse of decades of brainwashing and conditioning. What's your excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

I reckon it was pointed out to Don that while the Republicans are dependent on him he is also dependent on enough of them getting re elected to pull his crazy stunts.

Else the investigation gets more power and he is forced to battle the houses a lot more.

Mueller would take a flip to put, belt and braces on his case. Witness testimony is always powerful.

Trump has a majority in both Houses and can't get much done.

derb12 wrote: »
    There's also a chance that Cohen might not be asked to cooperate and have his sentence reduced. The documents/recordings they have already might be useful enough to mueller without actual testimony!

I think Mueller might find it problematic to use stuff collected on foot of the Cohen search warrants against Trump without Cohen being turned (as the probable cause needed for those warrants only apply to Cohen's case). That said, if Cohen refused to turn, and was successfully prosecuted, Mueller could cherry pick the testimony / evidence for his needs. If Cohen does flip, its icing on the cake for Bobby Boy!!

Interesting times..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Akrasia wrote: »
    Not insane people

American Republican voters at least have the excuse of decades of brainwashing and conditioning. What's your excuse?

Drop the insane barb.. Have ave a little manners.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Trump has a majority in both Houses and can't get much done.

Imagine what 2019 will be like for him if there's any kind of Blue Wave!!! Phew!!!

Mind you, Trump support being on the Up,and now standing at 45% might Redden that wave a bit. Unless the 45 is a blip??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement