Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Nox wrote: »
    "So do you think the children that have been recorded are crying on demand or do you think they were legitimately upset?"

What I think is … neither one of us was there at the time. Neither of us know if/what they were upset about.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that these kids aren't upset about being separated from their parents? That's feckin' stupid. Humans, hell, even most mammals get distressed when separated from their parents. That includes humans from south and central America. What you're trying to suggest here is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Nox

"So do you think the children that have been recorded are crying on demand or do you think they were legitimately upset?"

What I think is … neither one of us was there at the time.  Neither of us know if/what they were upset about.

Do you think any of the children children that have been forcibly removed from their parents and put in an internment camp with minimal care might be as upset as the one in the recording?

I guess you missed what I said in the second sentence.  Anyone ever teach you what the word ass u me really means?  See if you can figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So Nox, any answer on which Trump decision was right?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So Nox, any answer on which Trump decision was right?

You clearly don't understand Trump's multidimensional chess here. He was right both times because he always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I guess you missed what I said in the second sentence. Anyone ever teach you what the word ass u me really means? See if you can figure it out.

I asked for your opinion.

• Advertisement

Why do you think you deserve a reply when using terms like internment camp?

You guys are like anti-vaxxers. So ignorant of the past that it's offensive to those that lived through it.

You guys are like anti-vaxxers. So ignorant of the past that it's offensive to those that lived through it.
    Internment means putting a person in prison or other kind of detention, generally in wartime. During World War II, the American government put Japanese-Americans in internment camps, fearing they might be loyal to Japan.

Internment usually doesn’t involve a trial, so you're being held because someone thinks you might be dangerous, but there’s no proof.
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/internment

No trial, check
    Detention, check
    Someone thinks you are dangerous , check, they infest the US

The children are literally being incarcerated in cages without trial. Internment isn't a word that I would use myself but I know that it's not confined to imprisonment without trial of catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Wait a minute, isn't Trump an anti-vaxxers.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/449525268529815552

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Nox

I guess you missed what I said in the second sentence.  Anyone ever teach you what the word ass u me really means?  See if you can figure it out.

OK … my opinion is that I will assume nothing.  What you are trying to do is go off on some tangent.  I stand by what I have twice previously stated … many people can cry on demand.  Once before I stated that I was not there and I have no idea what the crying was about.  All of the hypotheticals which are being tossed my way are just that … hypothetical.  And some recording played on a supposed 'news channel' proves nothing other than crying.  Another poster stupidly asked about myself and 4-year-olds.  Yep, been there and done that … also have had the misfortune of listening to temper tantrums.  Lots of crying there in case you haven't yet had the misfortune of being around one.  Oh yeah, I've also heard the crying from the "will work for food" panhandlers wearing their Nike's and cargo pants.  Talk about crying on demand.

I don't need to or want to know YOUR opinion … you've made it crystal clear already.  BTW … have you been to the border to get a first hand look or are you just gobbling up the press pablum?

• Advertisement

Are you really saying Nox that you couldn't envisage children without their parents crying without being done on purpose?

Seriously, that you would need to be in that situation to see if it was possible.

You don't need to assume anything. We know that children are heavily reliant on having the knowledge that their parent is close by. Even when playing they will look occassionally to ensure that the parent is still around. And that they become panicked and scared when lost.

Have you never witnessed a child separated from its parent in a shopping centre?

It is simply not credible for you to claim any of that. The only conclusion is that you are avoiding admitting it as it doesn't suit the narrative you are trying to state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

OK … my opinion is that I will assume nothing.  What you are trying to do is go off on some tangent.  I stand by what I have twice previously stated … many people can cry on demand.  Once before I stated that I was not there and I have no idea what the crying was about.  All of the hypotheticals which are being tossed my way are just that … hypothetical.  And some recording played on a supposed 'news channel' proves nothing other than crying.  Another poster stupidly asked about myself and 4-year-olds.  Yep, been there and done that … also have had the misfortune of listening to temper tantrums.  Lots of crying there in case you haven't yet had the misfortune of being around one.  Oh yeah, I've also heard the crying from the "will work for food" panhandlers wearing their Nike's and cargo pants.  Talk about crying on demand.

I don't need to or want to know YOUR opinion … you've made it crystal clear already.  BTW … have you been to the border to get a first hand look or are you just gobbling up the press pablum?

Quoting that for the record.

You seriously think that children forcibly removed from their parents and housed in cages may just be crying on demand.

Reprehensible.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Quoting that for the record.

You seriously think that children forcibly removed from their parents and housed in cages may just be crying on demand.

Reprehensible.

It's understandable if you view them as less than human. Perhaps like an infestation. Or other vermin.

It's a good thing nothing bad ever happened when some groups of humans viewed other humans as less than human.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 dpd666

Fast question, Why are the children crying in English. Mommy daddy ? Would have thought Mexican children would be speaking spanish or if not from mexico some other language. Why was the American guard speaking spanish and not English ?

dpd666 wrote: »
    Fast question, Why are the children crying in English. Mommy daddy ? Would have thought Mexican children would be speaking spanish or if not from mexico some other language. Why was the American guard speaking spanish and not English ?

It is almost if they are trying to communicate with each other!

You do know that Spanish is a major language in the US, particularly in the Southern States. There are many 1st and 2nd generation Mexicans living and working in the US, who would retain Spanish.

Mommy & Daddy are not unknown words in places like Spain and Mexico.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It is almost if they are trying to communicate with each other!

You do know that Spanish is a major language in the US, particularly in the Southern States. There are many 1st and 2nd generation Mexicans living and working in the US, who would retain Spanish.

Mommy & Daddy are not unknown words in places like Spain and Mexico.

The guard sounded like they are talking to a work mate so why spanish ? And your suggesting a crying child would call out to the mexican parents in English and not say papá ?

Just seems odd to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,929 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

'Cause they are ALL crisis actors.

Ffs

The guard sounded like they are talking to a work mate so why spanish ? And your suggesting a crying child would call out to the mexican parents in English and not say papá ?

Em, there can be two 1st generation mexicans working there. So it would be normal for them to talk in Spanish to each other. As for the child, their parents are not there, hence the problem. I am only guessing as to why they would speak in English but I fail to see the relevance of your questions?

What is the point you are trying to get to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

They were compared to internment camps by someone who was placed in one. In fact, he said that were worse because in internment camps they had their families. They were also compared to nazi policies by someone who was a victim of the holocaust.

OK … my opinion is that I will assume nothing. What you are trying to do is go off on some tangent. I stand by what I have twice previously stated … many people can cry on demand. Once before I stated that I was not there and I have no idea what the crying was about. All of the hypotheticals which are being tossed my way are just that … hypothetical. And some recording played on a supposed 'news channel' proves nothing other than crying. Another poster stupidly asked about myself and 4-year-olds. Yep, been there and done that … also have had the misfortune of listening to temper tantrums. Lots of crying there in case you haven't yet had the misfortune of being around one. Oh yeah, I've also heard the crying from the "will work for food" panhandlers wearing their Nike's and cargo pants. Talk about crying on demand.

I don't need to or want to know YOUR opinion … you've made it crystal clear already. BTW … have you been to the border to get a first hand look or are you just gobbling up the press pablum?

And I will continue to make my opinion clear. I hope everyone does not let them forget it. But I will remember your standard of proof for every future thing you claim to believe. If you weren't there you can't assume it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

everlast75 wrote: »
    'Cause they are ALL crisis actors.

Ffs

When you hire former Wizard of Oz munchkin actors to play terrified children you don't exactly get a wide range of language options.

(Or maybe some of the children are bilingual? Nah, the Wizard of Oz -AKA the 'WoO' conspiracy is A LOT more plausible)

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    When you hire former Wizard of Oz munchkin actors to play terrified children you don't exactly get a wide range of language options.

(Or maybe some of the children are bilingual? Nah, the Wizard of Oz -AKA the 'WoO' conspiracy is A LOT more plausible)

Odd I thought it was audio only ? Is there a link to the video footage ? To me it sounds more like the Mexican side of the border. And not a secure detention centre that let a person in with recording equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

You know what children are and have met some?
    Just checking.

Welcome back!

To answer you questions, a lot of people in the world are multi-lingual. English speakers can speak Spanish, Spanish speakers can speak English. It's weird, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Wait if those kids are crisis actors it means that Trump's government is stupidly incompetent.

I mean they have the resources to check this for themselves and men on the ground given it is meant to be their men carrying out this policy.

So why does the 32 dimensional chess player sign a law banning a problem which was not even a problem?

The liberals forced him to back from a major issue that he defended on the basis of child actors and he was too dumb to check? Along with everyone else in that administration. Now he is saying nothing can be done on immigration, a cornerstone of his election, unless the Republicans get a landslide and do it all for him.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Wait if those kids are crisis actors it means that Trump's government is stupidly incompetent.

I mean they have the resources to check this for themselves and men on the ground given it is meant to be their men carrying out this policy.

So why does the 32 dimensional chess player sign a law banning a problem which was not even a problem?

The liberals forced him to back from a major issue that he defended on the basis of child actors and he was too dumb to check? Along with everyone else in that administration. Now he is saying nothing can be done on immigration, a cornerstone of his election, unless the Republicans get a landslide and do it all for him.

To be fair I am as sceptical of this tap as I was over the Syrians faking all that stuff to do with the white helmets. You know robot injured people and alike.

Welcome back!

To answer you questions, a lot of people in the world are multi-lingual. English speakers can speak Spanish, Spanish speakers can speak English. It's weird, I know.
    Of the nearly 62 million foreign-language speakers, 44 percent (27.2 million) were born in the United States. Of those who speak a foreign language at home, 25.1 million (41 percent) told the Census Bureau that they speak English less than very well.

just from the web

Odd I thought it was audio only ? Is there a link to the video footage ? To me it sounds more like the Mexican side of the border. And not a secure detention centre that let a person in with recording equipment.

Are you seriously questioning whether this is some sort of set up.

This despite the policy being alluded to by Sessions and Trump.
    Despite the head of Homeland security defending the practice at the WH.
    Despite Trump signing an EO to stop the practice in future.

We have photos of the camps themselves. We have evidence from guards that worked there.

We have evidence from people who had their kids taken from them. We have both GOP and DNC politicians coming out to decry it. And all this time it was some set up by the Mexicans or Democrats or something?

Good grief

just from the web

I'll take your unsourced data at face value. It agrees with my point. I know "Mother" and "Father" in many languages that I don't even speak. For a hispanik to know those words in English is easy enough.

Trump is doing a "Crimes of Mexicans" speech thing going on now.

http://www.livenewson.com/american/cnn-news-usa.html

It's a bit weird.

• Advertisement

I'll take your unsourced data at face value. It agrees with my point. I know "Mother" and "Father" in many languages that I don't even speak. For a hispanik to know those words in English is easy enough.

/cis.org/One-Five-US-Residents-Speaks-Foreign-Language-Home-Record-618-million

The Census Bureau recently released data from the 2013 American Community Survey (ACS), including languages spoken for those five years of age and older. The new data show that the number of people who speak a language other than English at home reached an all-time high of 61.8 million, up 2.2 million since 2010. The largest increases from 2010 to 2013 were for speakers of Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic. One in five U.S. residents now speaks a foreign language at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement