Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,929 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Overheal wrote: »
    If he goes, Pence is sworn in.

Simple as that. The odds of them both going at once are cosmic. Even if Pence is legally implicated in a Trump cluster**** he would still incur his own impeachment proceeding. If Pence lost such proceedings, Paul Ryan is sworn in as the next in succession to the Presidency as he is the House Speaker.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Pence was Manafort's suggestion. I would not be surprised if/when the sh1t hits the fan with dirt on DJT, a number of high level Republicans will be implicated. Their level of complicity with Trump's actions speak to there being something lurking in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

everlast75 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure.

Pence was Manafort's suggestion. I would not be surprised if/when the sh1t hits the fan with dirt on DJT, a number of high level Republicans will be implicated. Their level of complicity with Trump's actions speak to there being something lurking in the background.

You are forgetting that the GOP will put looking after itself before anything to do with morals or justice.

They may well give up Trump, if there is the overwhelming evidence (there is plenty of evidence already so it will need to be a real smoking gun for them to turn) but there will not be some sort of purge. The GOP won't be looking to clear the decks and root out the problem. They will be looking to find the path of least resistance.

And always very short of details. Bills passed dealing with the opioid crisis. What bills? What does it do?
    “This is a very energetic effort to pretend we’re doing something significant,” said Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.), who supported the package but stressed the need to devote greater resources to the opioid fight. “By and large it’s better to do than not, but it falls way short of what is required.”

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Another big success for Trump last week. It doesnt seem to have been discussed much, although MSM news outlets did carry it, albeit on the inner pages. 
    The house passed the latest bill on the Opioid epidemic, I think its the 30+  bill on this issue passed in the last 2 weeks, although this bill is seen as all inclusive of previous bills, and recieved bipartisan 396 to 14 support.
    Its a major step on reform to tackle this epidemic. 
    http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/393655-house-passes-bipartisan-bill-to-fight-the-opioid-crisis

More importanly this will be used as an issue to be taken to the polls in November, 
    Many mom+pop voters in the US are very concerned about this issue and its impact on their young children and older family members. In many constituencys its a item at the very top of the ballot debate and is seen as far more important to many average American voters than many of the random items discussed as being of importance to US voters by those who are external to the US

This is a big win for Republicans as they ramp up their machine for the mid-terms and they will take this strong message out on their campaigns.

So it was covered then? Gotcha.

And the reason it may have been in the middle pages and not on the front was because your guy was separating babies from their parents and detaining them in camps. Perspective, you know?
    The bill was passed on Friday, its now Monday. 
    Current rate of dates due to opioid overdose in America rate from 40-115 deaths per day, (if its presciption versus all DOD) 
    So we can be pretty sure somewhere between 100  and 300 people have died since this bill was passed due to the very opioids this bill is addressing. Its been a comprehensive strategy from Trump from when he went on the campaign trail , right thru to legislation  and even into the banner page on the whitehose homepage, 
    Potential 300 deaths in 3 days... my perspective is fine.

Time has a good video on the ravages of this epidemic, Id respectfully suggest you watch it before you are so dismissive of American lives.
    http://time.com/5187886/opioid-overdose-rates/

Current rate of dates due to opioid overdose in America rate from 40-115 deaths per day, (if its presciption versus all DOD) 
    So we can be pretty sure somewhere between 100  and 300 people have died since this bill was passed due to the very opioids this bill is addressing. Its been a comprehensive strategy from Trump from when he went on the campaign trail , right thru to legislation  and even into the banner page on the whitehose homepage, 

Time has a good video on the ravages of this epidemic, Id respectfully suggest you watch it before you are so dismissive of American lives.

Agreed. So what does the bill do to change all of this. I totally agree that it is a major issue, that is not a debate.

It would seem odd that you post it a big success if you don't know the ins and outs of what it actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I really hope some journalist is delving into the recent stock market transactions of Trump, his family and close associates.  He alone is tanking the stock markets and if you are shorting stocks and get in before Trump tweets his next assault, you stand to make alot of money.  It would be akin to insider trading

Adult deaths that have been happening for some time and aren't, rightly or wrongly, as newsworthy as Trump's own policy, which he implemented in April, which resulted in the separation of babies from their parents, which it then turned out went missing, which he then issued a policy note (not an executive order) proposing it to be a reversal.. which it was not.

Now, whilst i agree that the opiod crisis is a worthwhile issue to tackle, if Trump wasn't such an inept, heartless, incompetent idiot, that would never have happened and that legislation which was passed would be front page news.

What i am saying here is that Trump's own actions put that "victory" in the mid pages, not some "MSM" conspiracy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mexicans are refugees?

Why do you think the people crossing the border are primarily Mexican?

Have you heard of Honduras? El Salvador? Guatamala?

Maybe you might have heard of some issues facing the population of those countries that may make them want to flee for their families safety?

While I'm asking questions, why do you suppose Canadians who cross illegally don't receive the same rhetoric?

Do you approve of this treatment? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/french-jogger-crosses-us-canada-border-detained-two-weeks-a8413141.html

Is it now reasonable to expect people, citizens of the country carry papers for inspection at all times?

Does that go against a core part of the GOP ideology?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think for Mexicans it's actually a minus figure, more going South than going North.
    US support the economies of CA and the migration issue will be solved. BTW its at a fraction of what it was 10/20/30 years ago. Total red herring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yes, there is net migration for the US with Mexico.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

OK. I stuck Trump opiod crisis followed by several news sites into google. The only result I found was https://www.google.ie/amp/thehill.com/policy/healthcare/393655-house-passes-bipartisan-bill-to-fight-the-opioid-crisis?amp

I tried to find something on a right wing site but couldn't. Might have missed one though. Still it seems like the right is as disinterested in this as "msm".

So yeah it looks like a bill with limited powers was passed. A toothier bill with some serious funding to try and tackle the issue was shot down by Republicans. They don't go into as much detail as I would like but it seems focused on tracking prescriptions and limiting some others. None of which seems terrible.

Guessing the limited nature of the bill is why no one cares in the media. It is also not law yet as I believe it still has to reach the upper house.

If anyone has a better link I would love to see it. As suspected this seems like an attempt to give credit to Trump for very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Overheal wrote: »
    Sarah Huckabee Sanders and her party of 7 were removed from an eatery in Lexington last night called the Red Hen. The owner cited his strong moral convictions in refusing to serve her.

Liberal left in the states getting more and more pathetic by the day.

Ah cop on Pete.

She dishes out scorn to reporters asking legitimate questions. She lies through her teeth and then talks about respect?

And that's when she does turn up mind you.
    Bugger all conferences last week.

She was happy with the cake ban but when a restaurant owner poles her staff about the stance taken by the Trump administration on LGBT rights and they said they would prefer not to serve SHS, she takes to the Government Twitter page, and not her own private one, to attack the restaurant.

Yeah, its the "liberal left" that's pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Definitely not apathetic then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If you're not with us you're against us mentality seems to be working for Trump, but it isn't healthy. The Restaurant owner may be a Republican, having issue with Sanders is personal and moral, not necessarily Right or Left.

I'd guess most of this immigration hype is being stirred up by Trump to use as a rallying cry for the elections coming up and to distract from the military spend,
    Congress proposes defense budget $37 billion higher than Trump's
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/22/politics/congress-trump-defense-budget/index.html

..not to mention between $10 and $30 million on his military parade. Maybe the Restaurant owner is a tax payer?

Jesus F Christ.

After slagging off Jimmy Fallon, DJT takes to Twitter to try and have a go at the restaurant!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1011212766487728133

And would you believe, he is being a hypocrite yet again!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/13/mar-a-lago-food-safety-violations-donald-trump

"Trump's Mar-a-Lago club cited for serious food safety violations" 13.04.17

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Jesus F Christ.

After slagging off Jimmy Fallon, DJT takes to Twitter to try and have a go at the restaurant!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1011212766487728133

And would you believe, he is being a hypocrite yet again!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/13/mar-a-lago-food-safety-violations-donald-trump

"Trump's Mar-a-Lago club cited for serious food safety violations" 13.04.17

Unbelievable.

I might be wrong here, but isn't this very very VERY frowned upon? I believe there is something in place saying that the POTUS can't use the official communication channels for this type of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I might be wrong here, but isn't this very very VERY frowned upon? I believe there is something in place saying that the POTUS can't use the official communication channels for this type of thing?

Haven't all the rules been thrown out the window for Trump. He seems to be held to lower standards to rest of us human beings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You know, with that kind of petty, schoolyard kind of trash-talking by Trump (and it is an incredibly childish form of "yeah, well I don't like you anyway, nyah nyah!" comeback), I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the Red Hen will suddenly find itself with a surge in popularity / attendance.

There really is no such thing as bad publicity, especially when it comes from a man whose favourite food is overdone steak, cut into pieces, served with ketchup.

You're not wrong.

One of the charges levied in impeachment proceedings against Nixon was his efforts to use his office to punish his private individuals.

Now, Nixon wanted to use the IRS, so this is on a different and lower scale obviously but still, he is using his position as president to go after private individuals.

So I think it is very frowned upon, but in the grand scheme of all the other scandals, bugger all will be done about it.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    You know, with that kind of petty, schoolyard kind of trash-talking by Trump (and it is an incredibly childish form of "yeah, well I don't like you anyway, nyah nyah!" comeback), I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the Red Hen will suddenly find itself with a surge in popularity / attendance.

There really is no such thing as bad publicity, especially when it comes from a man whose favourite food is overdone steak, cut into pieces, served with ketchup.

Yep- you now can't get a booking until the end of July apparently :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

pixelburp wrote: »

I don't know... the increase in reservations is going to go hand in hand with being doxxed, bombarded with abuse and death and bomb threats.

I don't know... the increase in reservations is going to go hand in hand with being doxxed, bombarded with abuse and death and bomb threats.

Unless the MAGA crowd don't read past the first line of the article and target the wrong ******* venue..

https://twitter.com/jsidman/status/1011231075459268608?s=19

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He also shouldn't be able to profit through his private businesses from being president. But of course Mar-A-Lago charging the security services for him to make weekly golf trips to his own property is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well looks like Harley Davidson will be moving production oversees for EU bound bikes to get around the trade sanctions that are adding a cost of 2-3k extra per bike and will cost Harley Davidson about 90-100 million annually.

Of course that will mean US job losses, rumors are at least 400...... so much winning happening, sure trade wars are easy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Paying more for your hawg to own d'libs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Unless the MAGA crowd don't read past the first line of the article and target the wrong ******* venue..

https://twitter.com/jsidman/status/1011231075459268608?s=19

It would be funny if the outcome wasn't so miserable for the innocent restaurant.

Why do you think the people crossing the border are primarily Mexican?

Have you heard of Honduras? El Salvador? Guatamala?

Maybe you might have heard of some issues facing the population of those countries that may make them want to flee for their families safety?

While I'm asking questions, why do you suppose Canadians who cross illegally don't receive the same rhetoric?

Do you approve of this treatment? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/french-jogger-crosses-us-canada-border-detained-two-weeks-a8413141.html

Is it now reasonable to expect people, citizens of the country carry papers for inspection at all times?

Does that go against a core part of the GOP ideology?

All that in response to "Mexicans are refugees?".. Don't dare put words in my mouth. If you want to reply again, answer my question and drop the insinuations. Are Mexicans refugees?

If asking that somehow means I approve of that treatment, you're pathetically biased and not fit for any sort of debate.

All that in response to "Mexicans are refugees?".. Don't dare put words in my mouth. If you want to reply again, answer my question and drop the insinuations. Are Mexicans refugees?

If asking that somehow means I approve of that treatment, you're pathetically biased and not fit for any sort of debate.

I see you removed the part where you said that you'd vote Trump just to p*** off people like the poster above.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the embodiment of Trumpism...

"Voting for Trump to own the libs!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,233 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nox wrote: »
    I notice the side-stepping of the issue of invasion.  I guess what is happening in Europe is not an invasion … yet you Euro's demean the POTUS for calling it like it is.  And the tripe about tanks is silly.  The moslems invading Europe are not bringing tanks either … is that an invasion?  BTW how is Ireland dealing with your own moslem invasion?

What Muslim invasion in Ireland ? There isn't one as far as I'm aware.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement