Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What Muslim invasion in Ireland ? There isn't one as far as I'm aware.

That's how sneaky they are!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I might be wrong here, but isn't this very very VERY frowned upon? I believe there is something in place saying that the POTUS can't use the official communication channels for this type of thing?
    That's his personal account though isn't it? @POTUS is the official account as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

That's his personal account though isn't it? @POTUS is the official account as far as I know.

That's a good point actually. However (and I'm not saying this to argue), wasn't it agreed that the tweets coming from @realdonaldtrump are the official presidential tweets?

I think that was also the reason Donnie is not allowed to block people who don't agree with him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It was, but then he refused to use the official one, and then they stated that the personal one counted as statements by the president in his official capacity and that it was to become part of the historical record and archived as such.

That is why he had to unblock some people as well after they brought a case that him blocking them from viewing and commenting on his twitter was an abuse of their rights to communicate with the president.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure what it means for the status of any pre-2017 tweets on that account which is now considered to be the official voice of the president and if they are all archived off as well.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    I see you removed the part where you said that you'd vote Trump just to p*** off people like the poster above.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the embodiment of Trumpism...

"Voting for Trump to own the libs!"

I didn't display any Trumpism. Trumpists like Trump. What I displayed was Fúck-people-who-insinuate-I'm-Hitler-for-asking-basic-factual-questions-ism.

robinph wrote: »
    It was, but then he refused to use the official one, and then they stated that the personal one counted as statements by the president in his official capacity and that it was to become part of the historical record and archived as such.

That is why he had to unblock some people as well after they brought a case that him blocking them from viewing and commenting on his twitter was an abuse of their rights to communicate with the president.
    That's right - forgot about that. Hilariously sad that this is even something that matters :D

Mexcans are refugees? Nope.

But then neither are people from any other country as it has bugger all to do with what country you come from or your nationality. Just because someone is from Mexico doesn't make them a refugee any more than them being from Mexico means they cannot be a refugee.

But then neither are people from any other country as it has bugger all to do with what country you come from or your nationality. Just because someone is from Mexico doesn't make them a refugee any more than them being from Mexico means they cannot be a refugee.

Can you give your definition of a refugee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,929 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It really is as simple as that.

Trump is an out and out racist.

That is a fact.

And with a lot of people who have an issue with asylum seekers, or refugees, or immigration, it manifests itself whenever those issues arise.

His racism was evident before he became president, but now that he is in power, it is manifesting itself in his policies. First came the travel ban...

• Advertisement

Can you give your definition of a refugee?
    The individual definition of "refugee" is irrelevant. The relevant definition is that contained in Section 101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA):
    (42) The term "refugee" means:

(A) any person who is outside any country of such person's nationality or, in the case of a person having no nationality, is outside any country in which such person last habitually resided, and who is unable or unwilling to return to, and is unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of, that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion, or

(B) in such circumstances as the President after appropriate consultation (as defined in section 207(e) of this Act) may specify, any person who is within the country of such person's nationality or, in the case of a person having no nationality, within the country in which such person is habitually residing, and who is persecuted or who has a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. The term "refugee" does not include any person who ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. For purposes of determinations under this Act, a person who has been forced to abort a pregnancy or to undergo involuntary sterilization, or who has been persecuted for failure or refusal to undergo such a procedure or for other resistance to a coercive population control program, shall be deemed to have been persecuted on account of political opinion, and a person who has a well founded fear that he or she will be forced to undergo such a procedure or subject to persecution for such failure, refusal, or resistance shall be deemed to have a well founded fear of persecution on account of political opinion.

The individual definition of "refugee" is irrelevant. The relevant definition is that contained in Section 101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA):

I'm aware of what a refugee is. I'm interested in robinph's definition.

I don't get to define what a refugee is.

I don't get to define what a refugee is.

Can you give an estimate on how many Irish citizens are refugees? ie. Citizens born in Ireland.

Can you give an estimate on how many Irish citizens are refugees? ie. Citizens born in Ireland.

I assume you are waiting to go through a list of countries and then use that as if it proves some kind of point. Why not just state your point now and save us all the bother?

By the way, Mexicans can be and are refugees under the US system due to fears arising as a result of corruption and collusion with the drug cartels. In fact, until 2012 fears from LGBT Mexicans was a valid reason for seeking refugee/asylum status (changed by case law in 2012 due to changing attitudes in Mexico of LGBTQ community (see: https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/11/11-9566.pdf).

455 Mexicans granted refugee/asylum status in 2016: https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook/2016/table17

It's irrelevant to anything.

I assume you are waiting to go through a list of countries and then use that as if it proves some kind of point. Why not just state your point now and save us all the bother?

That's three factual questions I've asked here now that haven't received answers.

Are Mexicans refugees?
    What is your definition of a refugee?
    How many Irish citizens are refugees?

My position is that Mexicans aren't refugees so they shouldn't be called that. I have friends living all over that country in as much safety as they'd expect in Ireland. If there are problems with gangs or police, people can move internally.

I've caused ire here with basic questions because it is desirable to label these people refugees instead of illegal economic migrants. Now before you go thinking I'm a reborn Nazi general, I don't agree with the treatment in the camps. I am a fan of logic and the proper use of language though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

pixelburp wrote: »
    No judges or court cases is precise totalitarianism; even illegal immigrants get their day in court, cos that's why they're called 'illegal' in the first place, right?

Not exactly. The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 allows for deportation without need for review by a judge or court. Thus far, the policy has only been applied to persons in the country for 14 days, but the law allows for the process for those in the country up to two years.

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/sites/default/files/practice_advisory/final_expedited_removal_advisory-_updated_2-21-17.pdf

It may be a reversal of policy from last month's "Everyone gets prosecuted", but it's not illegal.

Applying in the US? None.

https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook/2016/table17

https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook/2016/table19

• Advertisement

My position is that Mexicans aren't refugees so they shouldn't be called that. I have friends living all over that country in as much safety as they'd expect in Ireland.
    Your position or my position or any other person's position is irrelevant.

The US Government, DHS and Court are the positions of relevance - they agree that, by definition, Mexicans can be refugees and in practice the Courts have held the same.
    If there are problems with gangs or police, people can move internally.
    Various immigration Courts in the US disagree with you here.

That's three factual questions I've asked here now that haven't received answers.
    Lies
    Are Mexicans refugees?
    Lies
    What is your definition of a refugee?
    Lies
    How many Irish citizens are refugees?
    No idea, but someone else has done the research for you and provided you with a link here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hi folks,
    More posts deleted. The mod warning wasn't an invitation to discuss the rules, moderation, or the conduct of other posters on this forum.

There's only so many warnings we can give. Please read and heed the charter.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I see Harley Davidson have said they will be moving some of their production outside of the US to avoid tariffs.

Wonder how many more will follow suit. Another good news story for the Trump administration.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

All that in response to "Mexicans are refugees?".. Don't dare put words in my mouth. If you want to reply again, answer my question and drop the insinuations. Are Mexicans refugees?

If asking that somehow means I approve of that treatment, you're pathetically biased and not fit for any sort of debate.

You mistake me for someone who cares what you think of me I guess?

Answer the questions posed or don't. I won't lose sleep over it, I'll certainly respond to your posts as and when I see fit.

Deflect away.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I see Harley Davidson have said they will be moving some of their production outside of the US to avoid tariffs.

Wonder how many more will follow suit. Another good news story for the Trump administration.

This is about the only thing that I can see republicans pushing back on. If there's one thing they like more than anything else, it's money. Trade wars mean less money and less money is bad - they like money. Jeff Flake is currently blocking appointments due to these but it surprises me that more of them aren't pushing back more forcefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭trellheim

Id just like to say that last night's BBC2 program , reporting on Donald Trump's first year was one of the best documentaries I've seen in years.

Here's the RT link https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-06-24/when-is-reporting-trumps-first-year-the-fourth-estate-on-tv/

compelling viewing and savage savage stuff. If you have iplayer then stop and go watch it. Next episode next Sunday 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,929 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The decent down the dark path continues...

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1011316500819533824?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

everlast75 wrote: »

How long will it take to undo the damage Trump has done and continues to do? Is it even possible? Even if he is impeached or only manages 1 term, will the US ever go back to the way it was before him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

My position is that Mexicans aren't refugees so they shouldn't be called that. I have friends living all over that country in as much safety as they'd expect in Ireland. If there are problems with gangs or police, people can move internally.

Why does everyone keep focussing on Mexico? Almost none of the separated families are Mexican. Most are from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement