Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Another good win for the Trump administration .

They have had quite a few this week , add this to the opioid bill passing thru the house,  NK returning US remains from the war and the Dems self-imploding over the RedHen-Sarah Saunders-Maxine Waters restaurant debacle . 
    Democrats are putting all their eggs in one basket, win the house and impeach, whilst the Trump administration is constantly moving forward implementing its program taking the small wins as well as the big ones and in doing so winning over the moderates and destroying any chance the Dems have of achiving their one and only objective. .

What happened to the Bill ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How is this a win? The whole point of the ban was to give time to the admin to check its systems and processes. Are you trying to suggest that Trump has left the US completely open to this threat during his 18 month administration simply because his EO was challenged? Trump, and you it would appear, will call this a win, but all it does is show just what a mess they made of the thing in the first place.

You still haven't given anybody any indication of what these bills in relation to opioid abuse actually do. Are you simply content that something was seen to be done rather than actually achieving something?

Have the remains been returned? I know that Trump has already backpeddled on his assertion that the world was safe for NK nuclear threat the day after the summit. It would appear that nothing is actually agreed.
    It is funny that you jump on the Dems when they say things like Waters did. Trump has stated he would punch a guy in the head at the rally for not liking him. He has called Mexicans rapists and drug dealers. HE has called HC a crook. Said that the previous POTUS was involved in a conspiracy to block the democratic will of the people by illegally wiretapping him. Publicly ridiculed a handicapped reporter. But what Waters said is a line to far?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

everlast75 wrote: »

They have had quite a few this week , add this to the opioid bill passing thru the house,  NK returning US remains from the war and the Dems self-imploding over the RedHen-Sarah Saunders-Maxine Waters restaurant debacle . 
    Democrats are putting all their eggs in one basket, win the house and impeach, whilst the Trump administration is constantly moving forward implementing its program taking the small wins as well as the big ones and in doing so winning over the moderates and destroying any chance the Dems have of achiving their one and only objective. .

What happened to the Bill ?
    Again, I do not agree. Most of the pro-Trump stance posts are generic info dumps. Those that are, and others, are challenged in a respectful way, using fact based comments. It most certainly doesn't flow the other way, present company excluded.

Im not sure where your question fits into your self-assertion that posts are challenged in a respectful way using fact based comments. I dont see much respect or fact base in your comments.
    But anyways just to remind you , again, the bill was passed by an overwhelming majority, with bipartisan Democratic support, 396 to 14.
    More a package than a single bill as it encompassed 58 other bills.  
    https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/06/22/house-passes-largest-opioid-bill-in-recent-history-epidemic-drugs.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do you wish to address any of the comments from earlier today from those of us questioning your dismissal of US job losses as not 'big picture' enough, or indeed your own contradictions of Trump's statement that he's conducting a 'trade war'?

Respectfully RIGOLO but you make bold assertions and post hagiographic info-dumps, affecting lofty understandings of some three dimensional chess the rest of us apparently don't comprehend, yet you don't actually engage in discussion when simple points are made about how (for instance) even the US President is referring to the Trade War as, well, a Trade War. Or indeed, is tweeting in response to the hundreds of job losses said war will incur (and as we know, that doesn't include tertiary, knock-on employment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I really think Trump supporters should be forced to listen to a few hours of his speeches without being allowed to distract themselves. Just amazing stuff. Here's quotes from Trump's recent trip to South Carolina to help campaign for governor (I mean, why not, right? Nothing else to do in DC):

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/26/politics/donald-trump-mcmaster-speech/index.html
    Quotes are on the numbered lines, CNN's commentary follows

My favorites:
    17. "They took them down, anti-US signs like I put up anti-media signs all over the place."
    So. Trump is saying that after the summit with Kim Jong Un, North Korea took down their anti-US signs. And that those signs are like the anti-media signs he puts up. Because it makes a ton of sense to favorably compare yourself to a rogue dictatorship that oppresses its citizens and suppresses free and independent media.

36. "Even Gallup, Gallup, who treats me horribly, polls are fake news also. What they do is called suppression."
    Just so damn irresponsible. What Trump seems to be suggesting here is that Gallup purposely puts out numbers that are bad for him in order to suppress voters to come out and support him. Also, he never comes back to this point. I assume Trump wants to tout that he was at 45% approval in last week's Gallup poll. (He is at 41% this week.)

45. "So, Canada, 'Oh, Canada,' I love their national anthem, 'Oh, Canada,' I like ours better, however."
    Donald Trump's definitive ranking of national anthems:
    1. US
    2. Canada

• Advertisement

Sure you can. You can waive almost anything. You can waive your fourth amendment protection against being searched without a warrant. You can waive your sixth amendment right to an attorney. You can waive your fifth amendment right to silence. You don't need to write anything down, just make the conscious decision not to exercise the right.

And since at least 1896, it's established law that you don't have a right to a day in court for deportation.

On other matters, a minor Supreme Court action on gerrymandering.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/25/politics/supreme-court-north-carolina-gerrymandering/index.html

But, you have to consciously wave it. Sure, I can wave my right to an attorney when I'm arrested - but I have to be asked (Miranda decision) and decide. By entering into the US at a non-designated port of entry, do I wave my right to a trial/representation/etc. I doubt it - why else have immigration courts?

Im not sure where your question fits into your self-assertion that posts are challenged in a respectful way using fact based comments. I dont see much respect or fact base in your comments.
    But anyways just to remind you , again, the bill was passed by an overwhelming majority, with bipartisan Democratic support, 396 to 14.
    More a package than a single bill as it encompassed 58 other bills.  
    https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/06/22/house-passes-largest-opioid-bill-in-recent-history-epidemic-drugs.html

Again, do you know what was in the bill?

And such a majority goes completely against all the notions that Trump calls out the the Dems don't want to do anything and just obstruct. Seems they are more than willing to get behind things if they are good ideas and properly done.

So what particularly do you like about the bill?

So now we have other questions. Is Trump right that the Dems will obstruct everything?

U.S. cruises toward record-breaking debt on Trump's watch
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/26/cbo-federal-deficit-break-records-651929
    The nation’s fiscal outlook looks ever bleaker, thanks in part to deficit spending during President Donald Trump’s first term, Congress’ nonpartisan budget scorekeeper projected Tuesday.

Within 16 years, the federal deficit is expected to be the largest in history, outpacing even the fiscal shortfalls that followed World War II, according to Congressional Budget Office estimates.

How can anyone think this is even close to conservative values.

MAGA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Igotadose wrote: »
    45. "So, Canada, 'Oh, Canada,' I love their national anthem, 'Oh, Canada,' I like ours better, however."

I think he actually likes Oh, Canada better, because the words are easy for even an idiot like him to remember, (well the two important words, anyhow - he could dum-de-dum the rest), whereas the US anthem has hard words that he can't remember.

But then he realizes he has to pretend to like the US one better, so he add that however clause.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/26/cbo-federal-deficit-break-records-651929

MAGA!
    Actually been following this a bit. David Stockman's made dire predictions about it, and being Reagan's budget guy back when, has some authority here. He's said the sh1t hits the fan in October when the next bunch of treasury notes to offset the tax cut go on sale - the question is, who'll buy them? Some of these sovereign governments like China that Trump's antagonizing?

There are no conservative values anymore. This and the previous Republican budgets have massively inflated the debt, while decrying debt to all that might listen. Great example of cognitive dissonance.

Stockman talking about what's happening now and will hit in October (1.2Tn new debt).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8qw6HBUvNs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Igotadose wrote: »
    But, you have to consciously wave it. Sure, I can wave my right to an attorney when I'm arrested - but I have to be asked (Miranda decision) and decide. By entering into the US at a non-designated port of entry, do I wave my right to a trial/representation/etc. I doubt it - why else have immigration courts?

Immigration judges exist for those who are undertaking the asylum process, or those who have been in the US at least two years prior to deportation proceedings.

The decision to cross at a non-designated point of entry (i.e. anywhere but where one is supposed to cross) is in itself a conscious decision, though. Actions alone can be enough without being asked. For example, I do not need to fill out any form or make any notification to the US government in order to lose my citizenship if I take up foreign citizenship, see Title 8, US Code, S 1481 (As a matter of policy, it isn't normally done, but the legal authority is there). Losing citizenship without a trial is far more significant than merely being kicked right back out of the country. The mere action alone indicates a choice has been made which will have consequences.
    This I do not get.

Trump has conducted himself in an awful manner - probably the worst in US history. The Dems may be bad in part, but seriously - they are not comparable. Therefore the logic of deeming a pox on both their houses, to me, seems seriously flawed.

It's a subjective difference. I acknowledge that at some point one has to make the decision that "It's good enough", that absolute parity with one's own positions is an unrealistic expectation. However, I do not accept that "less bad" is in itself an automatic reason for support either. I see no reason to 'reward' "less bad", even if the difference is significant, and will only take such a position when there is no better alternative. For the purposes of discussions on policy, there is no pressing reason to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Immigration judges exist for those who are undertaking the asylum process, or those who have been in the US at least two years prior to deportation proceedings.

The decision to cross at a non-designated point of entry (i.e. anywhere but where one is supposed to cross) is in itself a conscious decision, though. Actions alone can be enough without being asked. For example, I do not need to fill out any form or make any notification to the US government in order to lose my citizenship if I take up foreign citizenship, see Title 8, US Code, S 1481 (As a matter of policy, it isn't normally done, but the legal authority is there). Losing citizenship without a trial is far more significant than merely being kicked right back out of the country. The mere action alone indicates a choice has been made which will have consequences.

It's a subjective difference. I acknowledge that at some point one has to make the decision that "It's good enough", that absolute parity with one's own positions is an unrealistic expectation. However, I do not accept that "less bad" is in itself an automatic reason for support either. I see no reason to 'reward' "less bad", even if the difference is significant, and will only take such a position when there is no better alternative. For the purposes of discussions on policy, there is no pressing reason to support it.

But it's "a lot less bad".

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Nox

Yet another victory for President Donald J Trump.  The court decided that the POTUS could follow his Constitutional authority and protect the US.  All the whining libs who falsely claimed it was a moslem ban forgot about a couple non-moslem counties … Korea and Venezuela.  Yeah, it goes back to the 9th, but yet again the 9th et al got smacked down again.

Nox wrote: »
    Yet another victory for President Donald J Trump.  The court decided that the POTUS could follow his Constitutional authority and protect the US.  All the whining libs who falsely claimed it was a moslem ban forgot about a couple non-moslem counties … Korea and Venezuela.  Yeah, it goes back to the 9th, but yet again the 9th et al got smacked down again.

So how does this make America safer and how come America has survived the last 18 months without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Moslem?

Definition of Moslem
    formerly common but now old-fashioned, increasingly rare, and sometimes offensive variant of muslim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

20Cent wrote: »
    Interesting piece by Fintan O'Toole in the Irish Times today.

If you assume trump is not an idiot but there is reason behind what he does (I'm not convinced of this tbh) the contention is that he is pushing the boundaries of acceptability to test the waters for full blown fascism. Seems his tests are working Fox and Murdock rolled right in supporting caging children. What else will they support him with, will it be too late before someone calls stop?

Fintan O’Toole: Trial runs for fascism are in full flow
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-trial-runs-for-fascism-are-in-full-flow-1.3543375

The same type of crazy horse**** from the mirror of people who pretend Corbyn is a full blown Commie who'll kill tens of millions in camps or by starving them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Did you forget there was a time limit on it when be put it forward? That such time would allow them to make the country safe? Are you saying 18 months later and way, way beyond his proposed time for the ban he has failed to address the security concerns that prompted him to seek this ban?

And this is seen as a victory? The in his own words, 'watered down, politically correct" version got through.

Yet another poor day for the Trump administration.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Travel ban allowed by the Supreme court. Will be curious as to how long North Korea remains on the list.
    Another good win for the Trump administration.

Just going to put this out there:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871675245043888128

So its not even a version of the ban that POTUS even agrees with. Some winning that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Truly brilliant that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Moslem?

Definition of Moslem
    formerly common but now old-fashioned, increasingly rare, and sometimes offensive variant of muslim

For your reading pleasure I present part of a quote from moderator robinph from post # 7029:
    Whereas for most English speakers, the two words are synonymous in meaning, the Arabic roots of the two words are very different. A Muslim in Arabic means"one who gives himself to God," and is by definition, someone who adheres to Islam. By contrast, a Moslem in Arabic means"one who is evil and unjust" when the word is pronounced, as it is in English, Mozlem with a z.

If you care to take the time, you can see my reply at the time.  BTW … I stand by moslem, but thank you for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

For your reading pleasure I present part of a quote from moderator robinph from post # 7029:
    Whereas for most English speakers, the two words are synonymous in meaning, the Arabic roots of the two words are very different. A Muslim in Arabic means"one who gives himself to God," and is by definition, someone who adheres to Islam. By contrast, a Moslem in Arabic means"one who is evil and unjust" when the word is pronounced, as it is in English, Mozlem with a z.

If you care to take the time, you can see my reply at the time.  BTW … I stand by moslem, but thank you for your input.

So you are basically calling approx 1.8 billion people evil and unjust? You cannot truly believe that, such generalisation is borderline racist

Did you forget there was a time limit on it when be put it forward? That such time would allow them to make the country safe? Are you saying 18 months later and way, way beyond his proposed time for the ban he has failed to address the security concerns that prompted him to seek this ban?

And this is seen as a victory? The in his own words, 'watered down, politically correct" version got through.

Yet another poor day for the Trump administration.

Actually, I see it as a victory against the activist lib judges who refuse to abide by the CONUS.  It is the foundation of this country and not a 'living document' as the left would have you believe.  Look at what Justice Roberts said in the majority opinion about the POTUS' actions as defined in the Constitution.

astradave wrote: »

So you are basically calling approx 1.8 billion people evil and unjust? You cannot truly believe that, such generalisation is borderline racist

Apparently you did not do your research and read my reply,  What a pity.  When you look at 1.8 billion people who are required to fulfil the requirements of their prophet (as dictated by God) "Convert or Die.  Take your racist crap and sit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Apparently you did not do your research and read my reply, What a pity. When you look at 1.8 billion people who are required to fulfil the requirements of their prophet (as dictated by God) "Convert or Die. Take your racist crap and sit on it.

Religion is a curse but the US has a lot more fundamental Christians than Muslims. How do you think Trump should target them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Democratic party imploded after SHS was refused service in a restaurant? Got a link?

U.S. cruises toward record-breaking debt on Trump's watch.

MAGA!
    Dont worry, Trump is on the case:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/230760366232195072?lang=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Just going to put this out there:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871675245043888128

So its not even a version of the ban that POTUS even agrees with. Some winning that!

3rd version of the Bill to be specific.

Why do you spell Muslim like that?

EDIT: Didnt see this before I posted that:
    Moslem?

Definition of Moslem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

astradave wrote: »

Its not borderline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jooksavage wrote: »
    Its not borderline.

I didn’t want to be the one who said it :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement