Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

@Manic_Moran and other US citizens: What is the feeling, if any yet, within the US on Don's latest reported statements on Russian interference in the elections, that maybe they didn't interfere and these statements flying in the face of Senate Committee finding, his own new head of National Security and his own Security Service Agencies who have concluded on the basis of both evidence and probability that the Russians did interfere in the elections?

Are the statements being seen as a sop to butter up Putin before the upcoming meeting in Finland?

If the statements are NOT being seen as part of an attempt to butter up Putin or an attempt to soften up any opposition within Capitol Hill GOP'ers to the meeting, what are they seen as?

I know Don has a habit of putting out statements that are purely rubbish and explained away shortly after as being misunderstood. I'm wondering, seriously, if Don is now [at this stage in his presidency and knowledge of the US internal investigations into Russian interference of the election] deliberately putting US national interests at risk all for the pleasure of meeting Putin and keeping him happy. How long will it be before the US wakes up to the fact that Don is selling it down the river?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

aloyisious wrote: »
    @Manic_Moran and other US citizens: What is the feeling, if any yet, within the US on Don's latest reported statements on Russian interference in the elections, that maybe they didn't interfere and these statements flying in the face of Senate Committee finding, his own new head of National Security and his own Security Service Agencies who have concluded on the basis of both evidence and probability that the Russians did interfere in the elections?

Are the statements being seen as a sop to butter up Putin before the upcoming meeting in Finland?

If the statements are NOT being seen as part of an attempt to butter up Putin or an attempt to soften up any opposition within Capitol Hill GOP'ers to the meeting, what are they seen as?

I know Don has a habit of putting out statements that are purely rubbish and explained away shortly after as being misunderstood. I'm wondering, seriously, if Don is now [at this stage in his presidency and knowledge of the US internal investigations into Russian interference of the election] deliberately putting US national interests at risk all for the pleasure of meeting Putin and keeping him happy. How long will it be before the US wakes up to the fact that Don is selling it down the river?

The amount of ties he has with russia are incredible. Its all there if you want to know.

I could type all night.

13 of his aides lied about meeting Russia pre election and were caught lying.

His own son attended a meeting predicated on dirt on Hillary. DJT then helped draft his statement and then lied about that too.

Paul Manafort, his campaign chair is up to his neck in it. He owed an oligarch 10 mill and so signed up to help Don win the election for free.

His cow-towing to Putin has lead a former Army General to conclude he is compromised.

Here's a link if you want more.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/connections-trump-putin-russia-ties-chart-flynn-page-manafort-sessions-214868

Anyway, fingers crossed Mueller gets to the bottom of this.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Trump had a successfull day yesterday in Chicago. 
    15,000 jobs announced for Wisconsin, as FOXCONN setup a manufacturing plant. 
    Its set to be one of the largest facilictys in the world, and could drive many spin off jobs inb a state where Trump only won by 20k votes. 
    In the interest of BALANCE , here is a well written article on the pros and cons of this news.  
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-foxconn-breaks-ground-in-wisconsin-the-costs-to-taxpayers-go-up-1530091800 ;
    The major cons being the amount of subsidies they will recieve. 
    It will be interesting to see the Irish commentators and anti-Trump administration posters comment on state subsidies to foreign companines, given the Irish wrote the book on this (and thats a good thing ) 
    Anyways its not recieving anywhere near the publicity that 400 jobs lost to Harley has recieved , so 15,000 jobs gained is not as newsworthy as 400 jobs lost, I wonder why, could it be the MSM have an agenda. 
    But like I said numerous times, its a long game, many battles to be won and lost, no one days news is going to be decicive. So yes a victory for DT, does it mean the trade rebalacing is won, NO, only a fool would think one headline is the final result on this administrations efforts. It just means the work goes on, day by day, industry by industry and thats why voters get to vote every 4 years so they can access a 4 year term and not decide once a week based on todays headline , who is the POTUS. 

I trust its okay to bring up a new news item. 
    The debate on Scotus whilst interesting is in my opinion ignoring one of the broader issues. Delays and objections are a dangerous game to play as that sort of behaviour can come back and bite you when your turn comes in the whitehouse (2024 for the Dems I suspect). 
    Democrats have been warned previously, going back a few administrations, prior to Trump ever even being on the scene that they had tended to go nuclear and press the red button far too often when it came to the machinations of appointments and even executive orders. ManicMoran also alluded to this. 
    Many balanced and even left wing Democratic commentors have baulked and how the DNC has been too quick and too often to block the oppossitions administrations efforts or force legislation through with EOs .
    AND YES BOTH PARTIES ARE GUILTY OF IT.
    Just dont assume this is something only the Reps did, do or that Trump is the first to whip out his Executive order Pen.
    Politics can be a dirty game. 
    And Democrats had been warned previously by their own analysts that too much objectionism can be damaging long term.
    Dont assume their is always value in blocking, a short term win can come back long term when the shoe is on the other foot and your looking to get your guy approved.
    Perhaps technology has led people to play less of the long game and expect more of short term results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

"Many balanced and even left wing Democratic commentors have baulked and how the DNC has been too quick and too often to block the oppossitions administrations efforts or force legislation through with EOs ."

is there any self awareness with this line. I find it absolutely hilarious .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Have you found any highlights from the bill that was passed last Friday yet?

Certainly 13000 jobs are a great thing for the region (note 13000 jobs is FOXCONN's number). They are also manufacturing jobs which Donald wants more of.

It really begs the question as to why Donald feels the need to lie even when getting some actual good news. This is simply further evidence that Trump should never be believed.

Harley got more coverage because it was as a result of one of Trump's more controversial (read: terrible) policies. This plant was designed before any of Trump's plans came into being so are obviously independent of the tax plan/tariffs (I am unsure who was involved in the subsidies behind the scenes or how long those rules were in effect but they can take credit). Hence the difference in coverage (including by Fox news I might add so unless you feel they are anti Trump your point about msm is utter nonsense)

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/06/28/foxconns-first-wisconsin-factory-likely-smaller-than-planned/741691002/

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You seem to frequently mis-quote people, is it intentional or unintentional. 
    I never said MSM was ignoring the story. 
     ... heres what I said 
    Anyways its not recieving anywhere near the publicity that 400 jobs lost to Harley has recieved , so 15,000 jobs gained is not as newsworthy as 400 jobs lost, I wonder why, could it be the MSM have an agenda. 

If you want to discuss if the 400 job losses in Harley got similar publicity as 15,000 jobs gained for Wisonsin , then lets have it.  

If you want to disuss that the " MSM totally avoided the Foxconn story " , then you  will have to find someone who took that position. 

I trust other people also have jobs and busy lives, and this is a serious Politics forum, its really wastes alot of time have to correct incorrections in what people quote from others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,698 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I didn't quote you, so its not a misquote. Its a follow on from your point, the natural extension of the point you were trying to make.

You were alluding to your opinion that the media does not give credit to Trump and overly focuses on the negative.

Yet I, within a few seconds, was able to come up with plenty of examples of where the media is covering the news.

So now we are down to you position that the HD losses are getting more coverage. This is a quote of what you stated in your post.
    Anyways its not recieving anywhere near the publicity

Can you provide a breakdown of the total coverage each one has gotten so that we can compare. You stated this as a fact, you didn't caveat it that it was an opinion or a superficial overview. So, since you seem so concerned
    I trust other people also have jobs and busy lives, and this is a serious Politics forum, its really wastes a lot of time have to correct incorrections in what people quote from others.that people should not waste their time on
    can you please provide the evidence for this. Please ensure that you include the media coverage of when the deal was originally announced back in 2017 (I think, certainly during Trumps admin).

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    You seem to frequently mis-quote people, is it intentional or unintentional. 
    I never said MSM was ignoring the story. 
     ... heres what I said 

If you want to discuss if the 400 job losses in Harley got similar publicity as 15,000 jobs gained for Wisonsin , then lets have it.  

If you want to disuss that the " MSM totally avoided the Foxconn story " , then you  will have to find someone who took that position. 

I trust other people also have jobs and busy lives, and this is a serious Politics forum, its really wastes alot of time have to correct incorrections in what people quote from others.
    Possibly don't give out about inaccurate posts when you have the number of jobs wrong (hint: don't believe anything Trump says and you will be better off).

13000 jobs is still a lot. No need for Trump to lie about it. However he can't stop himself.

Also do Fox news have an anti Trump agenda? They also seem to have much more about the Harley story so I think your point is weak there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Foxconn plant received the publicity last year when it was announced. The Foxconn plant is not news. It's rehashing old, known information as a distraction technique. You can't keep pointing back at old "wins" to pretend that everything is OK now.

Harley-Davidson is new information, that has arisen directly out of Trump's actions.
    His role in the Foxconn deal is questionable, at the time it was a success for, "Hey look, companies aren't fleeing in terror, they are continuing with the plans they made under Obama".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One of the reasons the Harley story got traction was because Dotard tweeted about it to his 53 million twitter followers and not just once but on multiple occasions!

Sheesh.

Trump shoots himself in the foot and it's the MSM fault. Change the f'n record

seamus wrote: »

The Foxconn plant received the publicity last year when it was announced. The Foxconn plant is not news. It's rehashing old, known information as a distraction technique. You can't keep pointing back at old "wins" to pretend that everything is OK now.

Harley-Davidson is new information, that has arisen directly out of Trump's actions.
    His role in the Foxconn deal is questionable, at the time it was a success for, "Hey look, companies aren't fleeing in terror, they are continuing with the plans they made under Obama".

Foxconn plant is , to quote DT , HUGE news . People should learn to connect the dots .  

Wisconsin is a swing state , with an upcoming Senate mid term and only a single digit lead in the polls for the incumbent Democrat. The breaking of ground on the plant and a visit from Trump is a huge boost to the Republican cause. 
    Among other things, the Democrats will have to pour huge amounts of money into  Baldwins campaign, money that is getting harder and harder to come by as donors start to dry up, if they are to stop Wisconsin turning RED. 

So like I said Foxconn story was deserving of some serious analysis and headlines, and not just of the 15000/13000 jobs, the signals on trade rebalancing, but also for the mid-term elections and how it swings the momentum to the GOP and could reaffirm the current Senate map.

Foxconn plant is , to quote DT , HUGE news . People should learn to connect the dots .  

Wisconsin is a swing state , with an upcoming Senate mid term and only a single digit lead in the polls for the incumbent Democrat. The breaking of ground on the plant and a visit from Trump is a huge boost to the Republican cause. 
    Among other things, the Democrats will have to pour huge amounts of money into  Baldwins campaign, money that is getting harder and harder to come by as donors start to dry up, if they are to stop Wisconsin turning RED. 

So like I said Foxconn story was deserving of some serious analysis and headlines, and not just of the 15000/13000 jobs, the signals on trade rebalancing, but also for the mid-term elections and how it swings the momentum to the GOP and could reaffirm the current Senate map.
    Why does it affect trade rebalancing? It was in the works long before that was an issue.

People there have known about this for some time. It is not new news. It was a nice photo op.

I can also only imagine that 13000 new jobs will be used by the incumbent Democrat as well. Can't imagine he was entirely independent of the process so he will be able to point to this when announcing his achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

The 400 jobs lost to Harley is resultant of the wider tarrif policy that Trump is engaging in to break up the International order. Trade wars with FORMER US allies the EU, Canada, Mexico and with China will cost many more jobs than will be gained. You can deflect with local stories. Its not relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

If you want to disuss that the " MSM totally avoided the Foxconn story " , then you will have to find someone who took that position.

Yeah we can discuss it.. because Wisconsin gave Foxxconn $3,000,000,000 (yes $3 Billion) in tax breaks and subsidies to get those jobs. Which is about 15,000 to $19,000 per job per year. This is more than the average of $2500 which is over 7 TIMES the average. Crazy stuff

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/business/wisconsin-foxconn-tax-subsidies.html

The deal has also down graded the counties credit rating
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/r-wisconsin-countys-credit-rating-cut-over-foxconn-financial-aid-2017-11?r=US&IR=T

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Among other things, the Democrats will have to pour huge amounts of money into Baldwins campaign, money that is getting harder and harder to come by as donors start to dry up, if they are to stop Wisconsin turning RED.

You're angry the MSM aren't making a big push on Donald's propaganda. His personal news network will spread it plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Foxconn plant is , to quote DT , HUGE news .
    But it's not news. It's olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Why on earth did Trump duck those questions about the newspaper shootings in Maryland? I can't understand why he couldn't offer a bland tboughts 'n prayers statement. God knows he's got plenty to say about evetything else. Is he afraid he'll alienate the base if he's seen to be taking a stance against the murder of journalists? I can't fathom it. Its like every opportunity he gets to act he demurs.

Tct7QWK.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,698 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Because he knows where the questions are going.

Trump has to take some responsibility for this. He has stoked up the hatred of the media, calling them the enemy of the US.

It is no wonder then that somebody will hear those words, snap, and think they are doing the right thing for the country.

Whilst it might have nothing to do with this particular case, it brings into sharp relief the possible outcome of the path that he has gone down. Continuing to vilify the media, to call them fake and call them out as the enemy of the US, that has consequences. Long term ones as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

aloyisious wrote: »
    @Manic_Moran and other US citizens: What is the feeling, if any yet, within the US on Don's latest reported statements on Russian interference in the elections

Even if I were up to speed (Currently in Dorset for a short while), I tend to not pay attention to what DT says. It seems to change routinely anyway, I have long since learned to pay attention only to the policies he actually commits to, and whatever it is the various officials responsible for the appropriate items have to say.

WRT Puerto Rico, I’m curious as to what sort of response folks expected. Compare to another carribiean area devastated by Irma, BVI. Five months later, almost half the population were still without electricity, and it’s a much smaller problem to deal with. It’s not as if the Royal Navy couldn’t transport a bunch of engineers and generators, right?

Or maybe it was an utterly devastating storm which hammered an already fragile infrastructure. The response was significant, the hurricane even more so. Not as if I don’t pay attention to the issue, my wife’s family in the hills of SE Puerto Rico were without power for two months (literally, after their generator was stolen). A year ago tomorrow I was in the NE corner of the island getting married, I have a few ties to the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Have any reporters asked the WH if they plan to take any action regarding one use plastic and the effects it seems to be having on marine wildlife?

They could maybe ask what the most stable genius is doing with his used condoms.... (not wishing to trivialize the issue , but we may have to address the presidency in the gutter where it is currently slumming it)

Foxconn plant is , to quote DT , HUGE news .
    Its not really. But if you deal in short term thats okay, your free to.

Among the many things LIFE has thought me is dont ignore the long game.

The Foxconn visit , publicity around it, POTUS taking time out of a busy schedule to go on site and spending a rare night in town also, thats a huge injection of ammo for the upcoming mid-term. 
    The publicity might have been local and state wide , but in the context of the State senate race thats hugely important. 
    Cos whomever gets the Republican nod they will be sure to pump home the Foxconn developments on their campaign trail . 
    Personally I like Leah Vukmir, nurse, military mom, I think she will catch some of the red wave and flip this blue senate seat. 

So your welcome to play the short game, your free to call this 'Meanwhile you can play the short game, your free to call 'its olds' , but meanwhile Reps in Wisconsin will play the long game right into November, taking Foxconn developments, the pickup in buisness that creates, the story of some kid getting a job shoveling dirt on this construction project and they will ride that wave and help define the US Senate for the next 2 years and all that means for the Trump agenda and administration. 

Perhaps we should check back in November and see if Vukmir has pinched this one from under the noses of the Democrats, lets see how old Foxconn news is then when the Senate tallies are in . Or perhaps Democrats and the media should pay more attention to this, perhaps they are and thats one of the very reasons they didnt give much front page coverage to Trumps trip, cos they know the significance of it but locally and in the Senate race.

amandstu wrote: »
    Have any reporters asked the WH if they plan to take any action regarding one use plastic and the effects it seems to be having on marine wildlife?

They could maybe ask what the most stable genius is doing with his used condoms.... (not wishing to trivialize the issue , but we may have to address the presidency in the gutter where it is currently slumming it)

There's no f***in' way he uses condoms.

jooksavage wrote: »
    Why on earth did Trump duck those questions about the newspaper shootings in Maryland? I can't understand why he couldn't offer a bland tboughts 'n prayers statement. God knows he's got plenty to say about evetything else. Is he afraid he'll alienate the base if he's seen to be taking a stance against the murder of journalists? I can't fathom it. Its like every opportunity he gets to act he demurs.

Look on it as evidence the handlers have succeeded in avoiding another "foot in mouth" event and not Don refusing to make a sensible statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

The Foxconn visit , publicity around it, POTUS taking time out of a busy schedule to go on site and spending a rare night in town also, thats a huge injection of ammo for the upcoming mid-term. 

He's regularly taking time out of a schedule to play golf, so it can't be that busy.

Even if I were up to speed (Currently in Dorset for a short while), I tend to not pay attention to what DT says. It seems to change routinely anyway, I have long since learned to pay attention only to the policies he actually commits to, and whatever it is the various officials responsible for the appropriate items have to say.

WRT Puerto Rico, I’m curious as to what sort of response folks expected. Compare to another carribiean area devastated by Irma, BVI. Five months later, almost half the population were still without electricity, and it’s a much smaller problem to deal with. It’s not as if the Royal Navy couldn’t transport a bunch of engineers and generators, right?

Or maybe it was an utterly devastating storm which hammered an already fragile infrastructure. The response was significant, the hurricane even more so. Not as if I don’t pay attention to the issue, my wife’s family in the hills of SE Puerto Rico were without power for two months (literally, after their generator was stolen). A year ago tomorrow I was in the NE corner of the island getting married, I have a few ties to the place.

Ta for the reply. It would seem sensible for the RN to simply fly Pers to nearest US base, request & get gear for a Seebee-type Op, airlift it to commonwealth island near disaster zone & transport same by sea using RN commandeered shipping, unload using whatever the usual [naval] way is. while proper ships are on way from distance. We do have a reputation for making do & getting the job done while civvies look on amazed, excelling in doing the miraculous daily. I think it's called adapt and overcome. While the adage is the job ain't complete til the paperwork is done. we're not talking about a toiler-seat task. :-)

Ta also to RIGOLO, just mentalled-out BVI as being British Virgin Islands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

A bit of light entertainment in between (I know, the heat, the heat):

Eric "Dumb" Trump is currently in Doonbeg (for some of our American contributors, that's on the west coast of Ireland).
    http://clarechampion.ie/eric-trump-staying-doonbeg/

I like the fact that he got 60 icecreams delivered first thing. 60. For four days. Even considering that he brought a few friends. 60 icecreams.
    In a recent interview Eric spoke about the effect that entering politics has had on his father. “There would be far fewer headaches if it weren’t for politics, but it’s all worth it when you know you’re in it for the right reasons,” he said. “My father’s life became exponentially worse the minute he decided to run for president. He didn’t need to do this, but he was immensely frustrated with where the country was going.”

I wonder where he thought the country was going?
    I think he just got bored, wanted to stir the pot (throw tantrums) and hasn't any love for the country which a nationalist at least would have, I imagine. And he simply likes to be centre of attention.

I'll have an icecream myself now. Just one, though.

The BVI , considering somoen else brought it up, Im taking advantage and digressing the thread. 
    I remember doing the maths on this post the disaster.
    Population : 32,000
    Registered Companies  : Estimated at anywhere between 15 and 30 (wiki currently says 30) registered companies per head of population.
    So lets say 500,000 Registered Companies in the BVI

I estimate if every BVI registered company gave 1,000 Dollars, to the BVI (after all it is their home) to help them rebuild, they would have 500 Million to play around with. 
    BVIs rebuilding problem solved , dont worry it wont happen, hypocrisy and greed are alive and kicking. (and have been long before DT arrived , just to bring this back on topic and avoid mod rage)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

The BVI , considering somoen else brought it up, Im taking advantage and digressing the thread. 
    I remember doing the maths on this post the disaster.
    Population : 32,000
    Registered Companies  : Estimated at anywhere between 15 and 30 (wiki currently says 30) registered companies per head of population.
    So lets say 500,000 Registered Companies in the BVI

I estimate if every BVI registered company gave 1,000 Dollars, to the BVI (after all it is their home) to help them rebuild, they would have 500 Million to play around with. 
    BVIs rebuilding problem solved , dont worry it wont happen, hypocrisy and greed are alive and kicking. (and have been long before DT arrived , just to bring this back on topic and avoid mod rage)

Soooo extending your proposal when an earthquake would hit California you want silicone valley to pick up the tab ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement