Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Danzy wrote: »
    Trump's greatest asset electorally remains his opponents who made him electable.

Ultimately it is the economy. If he keeps unemployment where it is he'll walk in again.

Well, he is kicking off a tradewar with half the globe right now. This will be rewarded with punitive tariffs against the US, which will hurt the export business. Plus he is decimating the renewables sector which will also cost jobs.
    Trump is counting on the bunker effect. If the economy does indeed tank due to his bizarre politics of backing fossil fuels and isolationism, he will blame Obama and the dirty foreigners.
    Will enough people believe him? He is essentially pissing down their back and tells them it's raining.
    If he does get elected despite the economy doing worse, it shows that the US electorate is no more intelligent than one of Pavlo's dogs.
    Trump just has to stand up there and spout ignorant nonsense and lies and they will sit on their hind legs and adore him.
    I propose an experiment. Instead of saying anything, Trump could just take to the podium and ring a bell. And they will go nuts. And the rest of us don't have to hear this man's bullsh*t and lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump supporters (I'm not even saying Republicans as i believe them to be two separate things) keep ignoring the Mueller probe, the emoluments lawsuits, the lawsuits against the Trump Foundation, the case brought by Summer Zervos of the Appreciate (in which he is to be deposed before January), the Cohen case in which the process of handing over millions of pieces of evidence deemed not to be covered by Attorney Client privilege to the FBI began yesterday and the Manafort case (trial beginning in July). Hopefully DJT does too.

A trait I noticed in Trump is his knack of making huge promises and then when he doesn't deliver, deny it to the hilt despite the plain evidence in front of his face.

He and his supporters were literally talking about him getting a Nobel prize for his meeting with KJU. They thought he would waltz in, meet the guy and then world peace would follow. He literally said as much.

Proof is emerging that KJU, mere weeks after this meeting, when Trump made hugh concessions to NK, that they are working on nuclear weapons. Now, before they blame NK and not Trump, they should remember that every single person who knew anything about NK told him that they would do this, yet he organised the meeting, spoke in glowing terms about KJU, cancelled military exercises with South Korea (a suggestion made by Putin) and even hung a f'n picture on the inside of the White House! He got 3 hostages back and an empty promise.

Not a murmur from him or his followers.

He ran on making mexico build a wall. And before you say that was ages ago, its still chanted at his rallies. He still talks about it at his rallies. But after the election content of a phone call that he had with the mexican president revealed him pleading for the mex pres not to deny in public that he would pay for the wall, thst it was hurting his numbers.

So this is the guy, the master negotiator, the shrewd business man, the honest broker they trust, to meet Putin and not get (even more) screwed over?

Incredible.

There are 3 types of Trump supporters IMHO.
    1) those that voted for him because they hated Clinton and hoped he could get things done to make their lives better. They knew he was abrasive but passed it off.
    2) those that knew what he was like but were able to stomach what he was in order to get certain policies over the line. Party over Country folk and in my view have questionable ethics to be able to ignore his disgusting behaviour
    3) racists. Plain and simple. Deep south and/or right wing folk.

Level 1 folks that examine their conscience and realise now that he is morally repugnant/corrupt and or inept may not vote for him next time around.

Level 2 folks will hang on until there is a smoking gun and only then find their moral way and try to disassociate themselves.

Level 3 folks will walk off a cliff of he asked them to. The folks that would vote for him if he shot someone on 5th avenue.

Ask yourself the question, if you support him.

Which one are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I asked did you understand democracy, I didn't say that America was a democracy.

Erm, you did.

What their drive to make that decision is not under consideration.

Of course it is. If voters do not like the options in front of them, they will go some where else. Everyone thought the 2016 election would be Bush v Clinton. They were wrong.

but what is the excuse now?

Has there been an election since? No, there has not!

Of course it is made up.

Made up being an actual line in the nations national anthem, which was actually a poem written by Francis Scott Key in 1814. Your arguments are bordering on delusional.

My phrase has very little difference in meaning that correct phrase.
    What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In other Trump news, that crack WH team of his allowed a prank call to go through to Trump on Air Force one.

Kind of hard to get my brain around this - I mean, really? Someone posing as a Senator - a Senator ffs, wanted to talk to Trump, originally the switchboard blocked it, but Jared the brilliant advisor intervened and got it patched through. And they chatted. And the comedian later put this through on his podcast.

I wonder when the Secret Service stops by to visit him...

This is one of the few straws I hold on to nowadays about the US - this administration is so massively incompetent they won't be able to pull of anything truly irreversibly horrible, like a nuclear war. But then, I think I'm being too positive about them.

Unbelievable.

http://fortune.com/2018/06/29/stuttering-johns-prank-call-trump-funny-white-houses-lax-communications-security-not/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

markodaly wrote: »
    Erm, you did.

Fair enough. Show me the the quote where I said it.
    Of course it is. If voters do not like the options in front of them, they will go some where else. Everyone thought the 2016 election would be Bush v Clinton. They were wrong.

Everyone thought that? There was a possibility that Bush would be the GOP candidate, but it was far from a given well before Trump ever entered the race.

Again, I'm not sure what point you are trying to argue here. I'm have not every said that they weren't faced with a choice, I never said that things were perfect. What I said was that voters need to take responsibility for the vote they made. They, individual voters, made the choice that rather than vote for HC they would vote for a racist, misogynist, elitist, draft dodging, known liar, a person who requested a foreign power hack in the database of a political party, never held any public office. They were not forced to. They may feel they were justified in the vote they made, but it was their choice. They made the decision.
    Has there been an election since? No, there has not!

There is polling data. There is money continuing to flow into the GOP. His rallies are still packed. You don't need an election to give you a view of how people are feeling. Its also a really strange point to make given that in the point right above that you make the claim that Everyone thought the 2016 election would be Bush v Clinton. How could you possibly know that given that there wasn't an election.

It is very hard to have a rationale debate with someone with two opposing views in the same post.
    Made up being an actual line in the nations national anthem, which was actually a poem written by Francis Scott Key in 1814. Your arguments are bordering on delusional.

I think we are getting a bit deep into this. I stated a line, incorrectly, which you used as proof that I understood nothing of America. I made the point that the line itself was made up and that my line carried the same meaning.

You seem to have attached some significance to this line. First off, that it says it in the anthem does not mean that no other words can ever be used. Second, you then use the argument that it as written in 1814 by Scott Key to prove that it wasn't made up? But where did he get the line from?

What?[/QUOTE]
    O'er the Land of the free and the home of the brave
    is the line. I said The land of the brave and the home of the free.

I fail to see any significant difference in the meaning. Are you suggesting that America could not also be seen as the land of the brave or the home of the free. And, actually, sweet jesus, why are we even discussing this. It a complete non issue.

I fully accept that since you paid more attention to those words that you are the only one allowed to comment on America. Carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

everlast75 wrote: »

Proof is emerging that KJU, mere weeks after this meeting, when Trump made hugh concessions to NK, that they are working on nuclear weapons. Now, before they blame NK and not Trump, they should remember that every single person who knew anything about NK told him that they would do this, yet he organised the meeting, spoke in glowing terms about KJU, cancelled military exercises with South Korea (a suggestion made by Putin) and even hung a f'n picture on the inside of the White House! He got 3 hostages back and an empty promise.
    Could anyone have done any better?Was this game not China's to call all along?

They have allowed this situation to result all along and they presumably must have calculated that an "ally" nuclear power would be to their benefit in any arm wrestling with (well ,anyone)

Don't USA benefit from France and Germany (and Israel?), they may have thought. What about our own "nuclear federation"

In the MAD world ,Korea may work as a stalking horse for China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

All probably true but that is not the narrative that either Trump or his supporters were pushing.

This was sold as possibly one of the greatest achievements ever, Trump himself came out soon after the meeting claiming that people could sleep soundly as the nuclear threat had been dealt with.

As usual, it really comes back to Trumps need to lie and exaggerate everything. Rather than simply accept it for what it was, a first (and welcome) step it what would be a long and difficult process, Trump basically claimed that it was done and dusted.

He even, very recently, claimed that soldiers remains had been returned to the US. Pompeo later confirmed that there had been no movement on that, not one set of remains had been returned. It is certainly something they are working on and may well get a result, which again is welcomed, but Trump needs instant gratification and needs everything he does to be the greatest ever so he lies about what was actually achieved.

This then leads to the inevitable disappointment and then row back from the WH about what he actually meant. And then we get people claiming that what did people really expect or this version, who else would do better.

But Trump himself claimed not only that he could but that he had done better. So it is his own standards that we are judging him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Leroy42 wrote: »
    All probably true but that is not the narrative that either Trump or his supporters were pushing.

This was sold as possibly one of the greatest achievements ever, Trump himself came out soon after the meeting claiming that people could sleep soundly as the nuclear threat had been dealt with.

As usual, it really comes back to Trumps need to lie and exaggerate everything. Rather than simply accept it for what it was, a first (and welcome) step it what would be a long and difficult process, Trump basically claimed that it was done and dusted.

He even, very recently, claimed that soldiers remains had been returned to the US. Pompeo later confirmed that there had been no movement on that, not one set of remains had been returned. It is certainly something they are working on and may well get a result, which again is welcomed, but Trump needs instant gratification and needs everything he does to be the greatest ever so he lies about what was actually achieved.

This then leads to the inevitable disappointment and then row back from the WH about what he actually meant. And then we get people claiming that what did people really expect or this version, who else would do better.

But Trump himself claimed not only that he could but that he had done better. So it is his own standards that we are judging him.
    I am loathe to judge him by his own standards as he has already failed the exam for basic decency at any level.

Still ,I understand that this assessment cuts no ice with his supporters
    and so rational debate is called for (not my forte but I acknowledge your efforts )

Yes he did talk up his achievements with the NK talks . That is preferable to outright conflict even though it seems to have just kicked the can down the road.

As far as I can see NK's aim is to gain a seat at the table and ensure the survival of their regime.No need to ostentatiously play nuclear games any more .

The game is over so long as China is happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Danzy wrote: »
    He is an insulting childish orick but like many on the right today he reserves that for those who will never vote for him. His opponents are as quick to insult their own base as him.

This is a common trait in the modern Left, the Stark class divide between it and those who vote for it.

The really ****ty attitude is killing the Left.

Personally I think it is already game, over running on fumes now, in ten years the Left as we know it will be a niche.

There is a bigger class divide between those who vote Republican and those in power in the Republican party. Do you think the ordinary people of Kentucky have anything in common with McConnell or the blue collar workers of Wisconsin have anything in common with Paul Ryan...a guy so out of touch with reality he went online to brag that one of his constituents got a $1.50 a week tax cut gain! People will continue to vote Republican in many parts of the country because the party itself is seen as being socially conservative not because of some connection between the people and the politicians.

Trump for his part has painted himself as a populist. Obviously he isn't but neither are any of the authoritarian leaders worldwide, but they spend all their time convincing the people they are and most succeed for decades like Gaddafi.

Trump has insulted basically everyone so the argument that he only insults those who won't vote for him is massively wide of the mark. Ted Cruz and Mitt Romney he continually insulted and then they turned around and endorsed him. It's hard to find a segment of society be it women, Muslims, Hispanics, military vets, African Americans he hasn't insulted.

Democrats aren't left anyway. They are the US version of the UK conservative party basically. There are more conservative Democrats in power than left leaning ones. Joe Manchin would be viewed as ultra conservative if he was European. That's not to say there isn't a growing left leaning element emerging within the Democratic party because there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

This supreme court retirement is extremely dodgy. The cynic in me says that Kennedy is retiring on the promise of a pardon for his son and possibly himself. The timing is just too much. He had new staff hired for the upcoming term and then suddenly retires as a story is breaking about his son being linked to Kushner in a dodgy money deal. Trump gets his SC nomination and Kennedy is assured of preferential consideration for pardon when the inevitable indictment comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Supreme court nominations should have to wait until the criminal investigations into trump are completed otherwise he could well be selecting the judge who will be judging him which of course isn't right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,684 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Three days ago:
    HOUSE REPUBLICANS SHOULD PASS THE STRONG BUT FAIR IMMIGRATION BILL, KNOWN AS GOODLATTE II, IN THEIR AFTERNOON VOTE TODAY, EVEN THOUGH THE DEMS WON’T LET IT PASS IN THE SENATE. PASSAGE WILL SHOW THAT WE WANT STRONG BORDERS & SECURITY WHILE THE DEMS WANT OPEN BORDERS = CRIME. WIN!

5:39 AM - 27 Jun 2018

Today:
    Donald J. Trump
    ‏Verified account
    @realDonaldTrump
    2 hours ago

I never pushed the Republicans in the House to vote for the Immigration Bill, either GOODLATTE 1 or 2, because it could never have gotten enough Democrats as long as there is the 60 vote threshold. I released many prior to the vote knowing we need more Republicans to win in Nov.

That's a really short memory!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

looksee wrote: »
    That's a really short memory!
    Trump only support things that wins; it's taken straight out of 1984 to be honest and fully in line with his character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To precisely quote the man himself regarding his abilities with recall, "... there's no hesitation, one of the great memories of all time". Not a 'good' memory, heavens no. Greatest. Of all time. It's like he can't abide anything in half measures, it's hyperbole or bust. If he can't remember it I guess it didn't happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Water John

750 rallies across the US against Trump's border policy. Great to see. Some one on here was predicting no protest would take place. America has a conscience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

With this surprise win in New York by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez against the other Democrat candidate who was apparently expected to win, and the NY Times running another story that there is an internal Dem-party dispute between establishment democrats and activists pressing an progressive anti-Trump agenda, is there a new motivated group inside the D-party prepared to take on Don and is it overcoming the loss of the election to Don and getting itself sorted into an election fighting force or is this strife an indicator that the Dems might implode again in 2020?

Is this reported new activist-force inside the D-party something the GOP should be worried about?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/us/politics/midterm-elections-democratic-party.html

The NYT is also running a story alleging Rod Rosenstein privately appeared conflicted about his involvement in the James Comey sacking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Trump has come up Trump's with his suggestion to Saudi Arabia to pump out more oil, hopefully well see it at the pumps soon enough.

I don't like everything Trump does, but when he does something right I call a spade a spade.

He's doing a lot of good too, but we dont hear a lot about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Of course there are new faces and policy breaking through in the Dems. They need renewal. not all will be exactly of the one voice. That's a good thing, all political parties are coalitions of sorts. Avoiding it overspilling is what is needed.

Saw a great quote today.
    theorist Stuart Hall’s old observation that “Politics does not reflect majorities, it constructs them”.

That is the role the Dems must take on. Sorry for the poster who was saying the Dems were heading to be a niche party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,684 ✭✭✭✭looksee

nthclare wrote: »
    Trump has come up Trump's with his suggestion to Saudi Arabia to pump out more oil, hopefully well see it at the pumps soon enough.

I don't like everything Trump does, but when he does something right I call a spade a spade.

You really don't have to do much research to find out this is just more of Trumps imagination. On June 22 there was an agreement by Opec and non-opec countries to increase production by less than 1m bpd. Saudi Arabia did talk to Trump but did not agree to anything, and the WH in fact pulled back on Trump's statement by saying that the Saudis would 'boost output if needed'.

Surely by now you know that the man is utterly incapable of speaking truthfully, whatever he says you should check it. Or just ignore it.

As well as being a racist, he has no problem snubbing LGBT people either. First came the ban on them in the military...

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1013271330526023681?s=19

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    750 rallies across the US against Trump's border policy. Great to see. Some one on here was predicting no protest would take place. America has a conscience.

It's still a bit weak though. Look how our lot turned out when the government tried to charge a relatively small fee for water use. In the US you can go to A&E with a bad cut and leave with a $10,000 bill. I can't comprehend how they aren't on the streets everyday surrounding government buildings with all the things Trump has added to that nonsense.

nthclare wrote: »

He's not. He's putting Saudi Arabia in a more controlling position over the US. A good decision would be supporting the move away from petroleum reliance on other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

aloyisious wrote: »
    With this surprise win in New York by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez against the other Democrat candidate who was apparently expected to win, and the NY Times running another story that there is an internal Dem-party dispute between establishment democrats and activists pressing an progressive anti-Trump agenda, is there a new motivated group inside the D-party prepared to take on Don and is it overcoming the loss of the election to Don and getting itself sorted into an election fighting force or is this strife an indicator that the Dems might implode again in 2020?

Is this reported new activist-force inside the D-party something the GOP should be worried about?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/us/politics/midterm-elections-democratic-party.html

The NYT is also running a story alleging Rod Rosenstein privately appeared conflicted about his involvement in the James Comey sacking.

I'd read the opposite into that, it could split the dems into two factions and part the waters for Trump 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭phater phagan

It's still a bit weak though. Look how our lot turned out when the government tried to charge a relatively small fee for water use. In the US you can go to A&E with a bad cut and leave with a $10,000 bill. I can't comprehend how they aren't on the streets everyday surrounding government buildings with all the things Trump has added to that nonsense.

He's not. He's putting Saudi Arabia in a more controlling position over the US. A good decision would be supporting the move away from petroleum reliance on other countries.

I don't think that he actually cares about the USA. His policies will ultimately hurt his own country. He's full on getting revenge on Obama for the humiliation heaped upon him by Obama at the Washington Press Annual dinner in 2012.
    He's all about getting even with people who've disrespected him.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

The Trump administration performance on US-SAUDI developments and relationships has been a major success for this administration in a short time period. Its been very positive to both countries.
    Its no coincidence that one of  Trumps first foreign visits was to Saudi Arabia, there was also a huge trade mission that was part of that visit, shortly after this visit MBS enacted his purge of Saudi corruption , Id have to believe he would only have done this if he had support from US treasury and trump administration, shortly after this we have huge cultural changes in Saudi with cinemas and driving opening up (more freely and rightly so) to Saudi women. And then late this week, the Saudi regime reacts positively to US requests for increased bpd oil production to stymy rising oil prices.
    All told a very successful 'long term' exchange of events benefiting the citizens of both countries. 
    Once again the mainstream media were so caught up in their 'click bait' coverage , that appeals to the anti-Trump brigade, of anything Trumpian, with their memes of him doing the Saudi sword dance etc, that the MSM missed the big story here.
    Once again a 'long game'  process at work for the Trump admin and Saudi nation.  I believe MBS is keen ot bring Saudi in from the cold in terms of cultural changes and westernising his nation, he will need US support todo this , but needs to do it in careful steps. The MSM are not really giving this much coverage other than as I said looking for oppurtunities to poke fun at Trump. 

I expect the Trump administration (Trumps tweets aside) are ok to ignore  (by and large , with a few exceptions) the bulk of the 'jokey' media coverage whilst they get on with the larger tasks of  briniging western norms to the most influential nation in that part of the middle east. I think this US-SAUDI story is a great one to follow, dont get bogged down in one event , its been an ongoing story since day one and I expect further developemnts in the next 12 months from both countries. As one analyst put it, we finally have adults in the Whitehouse. 
    And no Im not ignoring the war in Yemen that can be part of the US-Saudi discussion if you wish, its been going on nearly 4 years now, 4 years , and Trumps in power for less than 2 of those.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    The Trump administration performance on US-SAUDI developments and relationships has been a major success for this administration in a short time period. Its been very positive to both countries.
    Its no coincidence that one of Trumps first foreign visits was to Saudi Arabia, there was also a huge trade mission that was part of that visit, shortly after this visit MBS enacted his purge of Saudi corruption , Id have to believe he would only have done this if he had support from US treasury and trump administration, shortly after this we have huge cultural changes in Saudi with cinemas and driving opening up (more freely and rightly so) to Saudi women. And then late this week, the Saudi regime reacts positively to US requests for increased bpd oil production to stymy rising oil prices.
    All told a very successful 'long term' exchange of events benefiting the citizens of both countries.
    Once again the mainstream media were so caught up in their 'click bait' coverage , that appeals to the anti-Trump brigade, of anything Trumpian, with their memes of him doing the Saudi sword dance etc, that the MSM missed the big story here.
    Once again a 'long game' process at work for the Trump admin and Saudi nation. I believe MBS is keen ot bring Saudi in from the cold in terms of cultural changes and westernising his nation, he will need US support todo this , but needs to do it in careful steps. The MSM are not really giving this much coverage other than as I said looking for oppurtunities to poke fun at Trump.

I expect the Trump administration (Trumps tweets aside) are ok to ignore (by and large , with a few exceptions) the bulk of the 'jokey' media coverage whilst they get on with the larger tasks of briniging western norms to the most influential nation in that part of the middle east. I think this US-SAUDI story is a great one to follow, dont get bogged down in one event , its been an ongoing story since day one and I expect further developemnts in the next 12 months from both countries. As one analyst put it, we finally have adults in the Whitehouse.
    And no Im not ignoring the war in Yemen that can be part of the US-Saudi discussion if you wish, its been going on nearly 4 years now, 4 years , and Trumps in power for less than 2 of those.

How do you feel about the Saudi's funding terrorism, the spread of extremist Islam and their role in 911?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Positive developments for the DNC. I welcome them. Yes folks , you read that correctly I welcome them.
    Liberals should listen with open ears more often to Trump administration supporters. Many of us have regularly and frequently stated the DNC needs to freshen up, get rid of hte old HRC brigade and bring in a new breed to energise their base and more importantly capture the moderate middle of the road. That advice is generally ignored and shouted down. 
    Anyways , many in the DNC have been trying to do this regime change since 2016, they tried to oust Nancy and elect a progressive DNC chairman but the DNC base went back to Nancy and Tom Perez, at the time I saw that as a backward step. Why stick with the same tam with the same strategy that lost out to a 'reality TV star (wink) . 
    The changes may be too little and too late to affect the mid-terms. 
    If this sort of DNC re-energising continues into 2019 thought then the GOP may indeed worry come 2020. 

The sooner the Democrats realise they are in fact one of Trumps greatest assests, rolling out Nancy and Maxim and the same strategy is playing into Trumps hands and just feeds him ammo. 
    Thankfully i dont see hte Dems gettign their act together in a cohesive way by Novemeber, the jury is out if they will get it together by 2020, but I welcome it if they do, Ive no issues with the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

RIGOLO wrote: »

Positive developments for the DNC. I welcome them. Yes folks , you read that correctly I welcome them.
    Liberals should listen with open ears more often to Trump administration supporters. Many of us have regularly and frequently stated the DNC needs to freshen up, get rid of hte old HRC brigade and bring in a new breed to energise their base and more importantly capture the moderate middle of the road. That advice is generally ignored and shouted down. 
    Anyways , many in the DNC have been trying to do this regime change since 2016, they tried to oust Nancy and elect a progressive DNC chairman but the DNC base went back to Nancy and Tom Perez, at the time I saw that as a backward step. Why stick with the same tam with the same strategy that lost out to a 'reality TV star (wink) . 
    The changes may be too little and too late to affect the mid-terms. 
    If this sort of DNC re-energising continues into 2019 thought then the GOP may indeed worry come 2020. 

The sooner the Democrats realise they are in fact one of Trumps greatest assests, rolling out Nancy and Maxim and the same strategy is playing into Trumps hands and just feeds him ammo. 
    Thankfully i dont see hte Dems gettign their act together in a cohesive way by Novemeber, the jury is out if they will get it together by 2020, but I welcome it if they do, Ive no issues with the challenge.
    They have gone away from the middle of the road. The anti Trump senator was voted out for a young candidate far more vehemently anti Trump.

That is not listening to the Trump administration. This was most certainly a candidate who ran because of how bad Trump has been and got elected on the same reasoning.

This is further evidence on how divided the US has become.

Near as I can see she did not have much more of an actual policy than simply opposing Trump even more than the incumbent which is the opposite of what many Trump supporters have said is the answer.

Having said all that opposing those who use children for political blackmail is not bad as policies though. Definitely a good sign going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Christy42 wrote: »
    Near as I can see she did not have much more of an actual policy than simply opposing Trump even more than the incumbent which is the opposite of what many Trump supporters have said is the answer.

I disagree with this, she does have clear policies,radical even: Medicare for all,abolition of ICE,free state college education,and a jobs guarantee.Now one may agree or disagree with these positions but they had an impact,perhaps more of an impact than merely being anti-Trump.

I disagree with this, she does have clear policies,radical even: Medicare for all,abolition of ICE,free state college education,and a jobs guarantee.Now one may agree or disagree with these positions but they had an impact,perhaps more of an impact than merely being anti-Trump.

Her viral campaign ad was also pretty effective and not targeted at Trump

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement